Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Still bullish on Singapore property

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Still bullish on Singapore property

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I hv saved for years and paid up for my retired asset, a ppty. But, inflation has eaten up it's value and ruin my retirement plan.

I hope govt can boost the ppty prices so I can hv enough money to retire. I heard that in Dubai ppty prices has increased more than 10 folds since 2002 until today. Beijing, Shanghai, HK and many part of South East Asia hv also increased many many folds since early 2000 until now.

Then, why our ppty prices increase was so short and so little compared to other major city in Asia? How can the retirees survive in this high inflationary environment with so little amount of money?

I read from this forum some ppl said that our ppty prices was intentionally kept low so we can attract foreign talent. Is that true? I hope not.
    Dear Retiree,

Rest assured that your worries are unfounded.

On the contrary, the Government continously invests billions throughout the island to enhance the values of assets owned by all Singaporeans.

Read the following speech by none other than our MM Lee.

"Singapore is undergoing a transformation. The Marina Barrage is completed. From next year 2009, saline water will be drained out and we will have a fresh water lake. PUB will make sure that the lake is free of debris and pollution. All streams, canals and monsoon drains will become the recreation waterways and be greened up and fitted with board water. This requires complex engineering task and also needs the cooperation of our people to keep our drains and waterways free of plastic and other waste.

By 2011, the Marina Bay Area will be splendid, especially a water plaza, surrounded by a promenade fronting financial centres, integrated resorts, residential condominiums, food and beverages outlets, an enchanting sight to behold. It will be a unique city centre. We will not leave our heartlands behind. All new towns will be upgraded and beautified. The massive new investments in infrastructure and beautification, plus a steadily growing economy, with higher incomes, will keep property values going up."

The full text of his speech can be found here:

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/News/Speech+by...ear+Dinner.htm

Unregistered Guest

Don't waste time saying fair or unfair lah.
    60 units sold during weekends. Only 194 units left.
    If you are interested, quickly grab one before they are gone.
    I though Sour Grapes said that there are "No Buyers" in the market?

How come got 60 sold during the weekends? Huh?

I suspect hor ... it's the sour grapes who secretly bought them.

I told you the sour grapes are up to no good.

The Straits Times

April 7, 2008

Another 60 units sold at City View

CITY View @ Boon Keng, a condo-like Housing Board project, has sold an additional 60 units under a walk-in selection process that ended yesterday.
    In all, almost 520 units out of 714 have been sold, a spokesman for Hoi Hup Sunway Development told The Straits Times.

As for the remaining 190-odd units, the developer will decide how best to sell them. Meanwhile, the project is still open to the public for sale, he added.

Some 460 units were sold earlier under a different process that required balloting, as applications had outnumbered the units available. As it turned out, many successful applicants got cold feet, and there were excess units left after all buyers had been given a chance to buy the flats they wanted.

City View boasts condo-like features, such as timber floors, built-in wardrobes and air-conditioning. But they do not have more expensive common facilities like swimming pools.

The project, which comprises 72 three-room flats, 168 four-room flats and 474 five-room flats, can be bought only by families earning no more than $8,000 a month.

The units cost between $349,000 and $727,000 each.

The take-up for City View has been a major talking point because the overwhelming response from potential home buyers has not translated into actual sales.

About 3,500 applications for the flats were received by the time registration closed in January.

Unregistered Guest

Don't waste time saying fair or unfair lah.
    60 units sold during weekends. Only 194 units left.
    If you are interested, quickly grab one before they are gone.
    I though Sour Grapes said that there are "No Buyers" in the market?

How come got 60 sold during the weekends? Huh?

I suspect hor ... it's the sour grapes who secretly bought them.

I told you the sour grapes are up to no good.
    The Straits Times

April 7, 2008

Another 60 units sold at City View

CITY View @ Boon Keng, a condo-like Housing Board project, has sold an additional 60 units under a walk-in selection process that ended yesterday.
    In all, almost 520 units out of 714 have been sold, a spokesman for Hoi Hup Sunway Development told The Straits Times.

As for the remaining 190-odd units, the developer will decide how best to sell them. Meanwhile, the project is still open to the public for sale, he added.

Some 460 units were sold earlier under a different process that required balloting, as applications had outnumbered the units available. As it turned out, many successful applicants got cold feet, and there were excess units left after all buyers had been given a chance to buy the flats they wanted.

City View boasts condo-like features, such as timber floors, built-in wardrobes and air-conditioning. But they do not have more expensive common facilities like swimming pools.

The project, which comprises 72 three-room flats, 168 four-room flats and 474 five-room flats, can be bought only by families earning no more than $8,000 a month.

The units cost between $349,000 and $727,000 each.

The take-up for City View has been a major talking point because the overwhelming response from potential home buyers has not translated into actual sales.

About 3,500 applications for the flats were received by the time registration closed in January.
    ... that 60 not counted ... they are stupid ... fools are not counted ...

Unregistered Guest

Dear Retiree,

Rest assured that your worries are unfounded.

On the contrary, the Government continously invests billions throughout the island to enhance the values of assets owned by all Singaporeans.

Read the following speech by none other than our MM Lee.

"Singapore is undergoing a transformation. The Marina Barrage is completed. From next year 2009, saline water will be drained out and we will have a fresh water lake. PUB will make sure that the lake is free of debris and pollution. All streams, canals and monsoon drains will become the recreation waterways and be greened up and fitted with board water. This requires complex engineering task and also needs the cooperation of our people to keep our drains and waterways free of plastic and other waste.

By 2011, the Marina Bay Area will be splendid, especially a water plaza, surrounded by a promenade fronting financial centres, integrated resorts, residential condominiums, food and beverages outlets, an enchanting sight to behold. It will be a unique city centre. We will not leave our heartlands behind. All new towns will be upgraded and beautified. The massive new investments in infrastructure and beautification, plus a steadily growing economy, with higher incomes, will keep property values going up."

The full text of his speech can be found here:

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/News/Speech+by...ear+Dinner.htm
    Thanks. What a relief!

I will not cash in my ppty for now. I will hold and continue to hold until the price increase by at least another 300%.

Retiree.

Unregistered Guest

Thanks. What a relief!

I will not cash in my ppty for now. I will hold and continue to hold until the price increase by at least another 300%.

Retiree.
    Peaked Peaked Peaked
    Analysts say it has peaked
    Desperate flippers get freaked
    Because they realised that the news has leaked
    Now on to the exits as fast as they could bolt
    Beacuse no question of their units ever being sold
    Mayhem all over as they rush
    Fellow flippers will they crush?
    Thud Thud Thud Splash Splash Splash
    It is all over in a flash

Unregistered Guest

Peaked Peaked Peaked
    Analysts say it has peaked
    Desperate flippers get freaked
    Because they realised that the news has leaked
    Now on to the exits as fast as they could bolt
    Beacuse no question of their units ever being sold
    Mayhem all over as they rush
    Fellow flippers will they crush?
    Thud Thud Thud Splash Splash Splash
    It is all over in a flash
    YES YES I SAW THE RUSH. THOUGHT IT WAS DRIVERS TRYING TO BEAT THE ERP TIME .....BUT NOOOOO WAS SPECULATORS FLEEING AS FAST AS THEY COULD.

Unregistered Guest

YES YES I SAW THE RUSH. THOUGHT IT WAS DRIVERS TRYING TO BEAT THE ERP TIME .....BUT NOOOOO WAS SPECULATORS FLEEING AS FAST AS THEY COULD.
    Oh I saw that. I thought that it was a practice session for the Olympics. Oh boy they were sweating profusely as they fled past me.

Unregistered Guest

Thanks. What a relief!

Retiree.
    Analysts say private home sales have peaked

By Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 07 April 2008 2347 hrs

SINGAPORE: Sales of private properties have been sliding amid a standoff between buyers and sellers, say market watchers.

In February, sales for new launches were only one tenth of the record numbers seen in August last year......................................................

Last year, property launches drew a crowd despite the extravagant price tags. But now, the market is paying for it in more ways than one. Prices are coming off their highs, leaving some buyers with significant losses........

While URA flash estimates showed private property prices increased 4.2 per cent in the first quarter, the rise was only for a handful of properties.

...................................................................................
    Oh the 4.2% deceives some speculators........

Unregistered Guest

Thanks. What a relief!

Retiree.
    This period, with very low interest rates, is actually very favourable to properties.

Anyone with some basic knowledge of economics will know that.

In fact, the US housing bubble formed because of extremely low interest rate environment of around 1% (similar to Singapore's situation today) that the Americans now blamed on Alan Greenspan.

Read the following article from today's Business Times (8 Apr 2008).

Business Times - 08 Apr 2008

Greenspan says unfairly blamed, has no regrets: WSJ

SINGAPORE - Critics say Mr Greenspan, under whom US rates went from 6.5 per cent in late 2000 to 1 per cent in mid-2003, eased policy too much and then took too long to tighten again. That, they say, spurred excessive mortgage borrowing and stoked the housing bubble that is now the root cause of the credit crisis.

Unregistered Guest

This period, with very low interest rates, is actually very favourable to properties.

Anyone with some basic knowledge of economics will know that.

In fact, the US housing bubble formed because of extremely low interest rate environment of around 1% (similar to Singapore's situation today) that the Americans now blamed on Alan Greenspan.

Read the following article from today's Business Times (8 Apr 2008).

Mr Economist, can i ask you some basic questions? If the properties prices go down by half and the interest rate double, is it still favourable to buy properties? Have you worked out the cross elasticity of property and interest rate? Would you buy an overpriced car if the petrol price drop? The low interest rate is more favourable to refinance your existing properties and not to instil consumer confidence in this market situation.

Unregistered Guest

It is true that low bank interests is good for property purchase. But whatever gains that could be had from low interests can be negated if property was bought at the peak.

Unregistered Guest

April 8, 2008

Fewer home loans taken up as property market cools further

By Grace Ng, Finance Correspondent

THE number of home loans taken up has fallen sharply in recent months as the property market continues to contract.

Only 4,200 new home loans were approved in January, up about 13 per cent on the 3,722 in December but down 21 per cent from the peak of 5,319 last August.

The Credit Bureau of Singapore figures also show that 2,544 second mortgages were taken up in January, a 31 per cent drop from the high of 3,698, also last August.

'We expect the growth in new mortgages to slow further this year,' said Credit Bureau general manager Mark Rowley.

Inquiries for new home loans have also dropped, down to 8,923 in February, the lowest since April 2006.

Mr Gregory Chan, OCBC Bank's head of consumer secured lending, said: 'We have observed that property buyers are becoming more cautious in their purchase decisions.'

United Overseas Bank's (UOB's) head of loans, Mr Kevin Lam, said that 'in line with property sales transactions, our loan applications were slower in January and February' but there was 'a pick-up in market activity at the end of March'.

His counterpart at HSBC Singapore, Ms Alice Chia, said the bank has 'seen a reduction in applications for new home loans, which is reflective of sentiment towards the property market'.
    THERE GOES THE PROPERTY MARKET....ILL, DEAD AND BURIED. REST IN PEACE.

Unregistered Guest

Only 4,200 new home loans were approved in January, up about 13 per cent on the 3,722 in December but down 21 per cent from the peak of 5,319 last August.

United Overseas Bank's (UOB's) head of loans, Mr Kevin Lam, said that 'in line with property sales transactions, our loan applications were slower in January and February' but there was 'a pick-up in market activity at the end of March'
    The property market still very healthy wat ...

Got 4,200 home loans approved in January, only 21% below the "peak of 5,319 last August".

Unlike what the sour grapes here kept saying "No Buyers".

Furthermore, there is a 'a pick-up in market activity at the end of March'.

Looks like the property market will bury the sour grapes yet again.

Unregistered Guest

Mr Economist, can i ask you some basic questions? If the properties prices go down by half and the interest rate double, is it still favourable to buy properties? Have you worked out the cross elasticity of property and interest rate? Would you buy an overpriced car if the petrol price drop? The low interest rate is more favourable to refinance your existing properties and not to instil consumer confidence in this market situation.
    The effect of interest rates on the housing market is well documented.

Central banks regularly use interest rates to boost/tame the housing market.

The following Straits Times article will explain much better.

The Straits Times

Feb 3, 2008

US interest rate cuts fuel HK property boom

HONG KONG - WHEN first-time buyer Judy Kwan heard a flat was for sale in a street she admired in Hong Kong's Wanchai district, she snapped it up within 24 hours without even seeing it, inheriting a tenant she had never met.

Now she wants to buy another as the property market surges from a strong economy and mortgages become cheap as local interest rates drop in line with rates cuts in the United States. Ms Kwan hopes property investment will allow her to retire in five years' time, aged 50.

'The price was right and the market's going up,' said Ms Kwan, an accountant, who paid US$282,000 (S$399,283) for the boxing ring-sized flat in November.

The apartment's value has risen 10 per cent since then and analysts predict that falling interest rates and rising salaries will propel prices back to a heady 1997 peak.

Hong Kong's economy is riding on the coat-tails of China's boom, but its currency peg with the US dollar forces the territory to officially track US interest rate cuts. Local banks have more leeway but have still slashed rates by 100 basis points in the past two weeks as the US federal funds rate has fallen to 3 per cent.

So the housing downturn and mortgage crisis that threatens the US economy has indirectly bolstered Hong Kong property.

Monthly transactions for mass market housing in the final three months of last year were on average 63 per cent higher than in the rest of 2007, hitting their highest level for a decade.

Real Hong Kong mortgage rates are now negative, below inflation of 3.8 per cent and it has become cheaper to buy than rent, analysts say.

On fire

A Merrill Lynch property analyst has predicted a 50 per cent rally in property prices in the next two years, prompting several Hong Kong employees at the bank to go on an apartment hunting spree. UBS has the same forecast.

Geoff Lewis, head of investment services at JF Asset Management, said the property might 'catch fire'.

For Judy Kwan, buying an apartment allows her to diversify out of a Hong Kong stock market that surged 39 per cent in 2007, and get a yield on her investment of 5.6 per cent a year.

Bank deposit rates range between 0.75 per cent and zero.

'I don't believe in putting money in the bank, inflation is rising,'
    said Ms Kwan, who has doubled her money on some mutual fund investments over the past four years.

'You need to diversify your investments and rental income will cover my mortgage. It's a win-win situation.' -- REUTERS

Unregistered Guest

WOW HIGH END CONDOS CRASHING TOO...OMG

Unregistered Guest

The property market still very healthy wat ...

Got 4,200 home loans approved in January, only 21% below the "peak of 5,319 last August".

Unlike what the sour grapes here kept saying "No Buyers".

Furthermore, there is a 'a pick-up in market activity at the end of March'.

Looks like the property market will bury the sour grapes yet again.
    HEALTHY HEALTHY HEALTHY
    SCREAMS THE NOT SO WEALTHY
    SAYS CRASHED BY 21% ONLY
    SOMETIMES THE MORONS ARE VERY FUNNY
    THE WISE SAY NO BUYERS ALREADY
    AND MARKET GOING DOWN UNDER VERILY
    SITUATION BY THE DAY GETTING MORE DEADLY
    FINALLY...MORONS WILL DIE SCREAMING HEALTHY HEALTHY HEALTHY
    BECAUSE UNITS OUT THERE WITH NO BUYERS IN PLENTY!!!

Unregistered Guest

April 9, 2008

Prices of high-end condos starting to fall as sales dwindle
    Downward trend may continue for next few quarters, experts predict
    By Fiona Chan, Property Reporter

HOME prices are starting to fall, as several high-end properties begin to feel the squeeze of retreating buyers.
    Sales of Singapore's most expensive condominiums - all the rage last year - have dwindled to just a trickle this year.

And with plunging sales, prices have also started to dip, although official figures have yet to reflect this trend.

Early signs of the slide lie in the handful of caveats filed involving many luxury projects in the first quarter. These showed prices fell from the previous quarter, in some cases by up to 20 per cent.

In Districts 9 to 11, Singapore's creme de la creme of residential locations covering Orchard, Holland and Bukit Timah, average prices have fallen by about 30 per cent since the beginning of the year, according to caveats.

They dropped to an average of $1,564 per sq ft (psf) between January and March from $2,023 psf in the preceding three months.

FEELING THE SQUEEZE
    In luxury island enclave Sentosa Cove, almost all condos posted drops in average psf prices, ranging from 2 per cent for the Marina Collection to 23 per cent for The Azure.

Property experts say this could be because luxury home buyers are now selecting only the most competitively priced properties.

'Market activity is very slow now, so any transactions that do take place are likely to be from people who have found attractive buys,' said Mrs Ong Choon Fah, the executive director at property firm DTZ Debenham Tie Leung.

She said high-end properties in the traditional prime districts were more dependent on investor buying, so they could be more affected by the current global credit crunch and weaker sentiment.

'A lot of people who bought luxury homes are also 'specuvestors', so they may be happy making just a small profit and selling quickly,' Mrs Ong explained.

The Government estimated last week that private home prices continued to climb in the first three months of the year, albeit at a slower pace. They rose 4.2 per cent, down from 6.8 per cent in the previous three months.

In the priciest segment, the core central region, the price gain dropped to 4.4 per cent from 7.5 per cent in the previous quarter. This region covers Districts 9 to 11, the Marina Bay area and Sentosa.

Anecdotal evidence from property insiders and caveats lodged, however, showed that prices at many projects fell rather than rose this year. At Scotts Square in Scotts Road, only two units have been sold so far this year - at an average price of $3,700 psf, down from $4,000 psf for 42 units in last year's fourth quarter.

Similarly, at The Oceanfront @ Sentosa Cove, the most recent deals were in February, where three units were sold at $1,720 to $1,751 psf. Just six months before that, 15 units were sold at an average price of $2,480 psf.

Other high-profile, pricey condos, such as the Marina Bay Residences and The Marq on Paterson Hill, have yet to see a single caveat lodged this year.

But the story is not all bad. The Orchard Residences, which holds the title of Singapore's most expensive condo, has sold only one unit this year - but at $4,700 psf, higher than most of its other sales.

Other older condos in areas such as Cavenagh or Balmoral may also be trading at higher prices from their previously low base, pushing up the overall prices for the whole district, suggested Mr Ku Swee Yong, director of marketing and business development at Savills Singapore.

But he said the price index for high-end homes may be under pressure in the next two quarters, now that 'everyone wants a bargain'.

'You only need developers to start giving discounts or people starting to buy lower-

floor units instead of penthouses. That will push the index down and put pressure on prices.'

Unregistered Guest

NO SIGN OF THE SPECULATORS.....THEY ARE FINISHED!!! MAD RUSH AT THE EXITS....OTHERS PLEASE AVOID THE EXITS....SPECULATORS FLEEING...WATCH OUT FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

Unregistered Guest

NO SIGN OF THE SPECULATORS.....THEY ARE FINISHED!!! MAD RUSH AT THE EXITS....OTHERS PLEASE AVOID THE EXITS....SPECULATORS FLEEING...WATCH OUT FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.
    Childish moron.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    Published April 9, 2008

Private bankers upbeat despite credit crunch

By GENEVIEVE CUA

(SINGAPORE) The world may be mired in a credit crunch, economic slowdown and rocky stock markets. But bankers catering to the well-heeled in Asia expect growth almost akin to that of last year, as they hunker down to squeeze yet more productivity out of their relationship managers.

Credit Suisse managing director and head of private banking Marcel Kreis, for instance, says revenues and assets under management have been growing by 20-30 per cent annually. 'Our Asia Pacific private banking operations have been enjoying very strong momentum and this is expected to continue in the next two years, with the objective of doubling the Asian business.'

Merrill Lynch head of global wealth management (Asia Pacific) Rahul Malhotra says the bank saw growth of 30-40 per cent in assets last year. 'I would be surprised if we didn't see those numbers this year . . . There is growth overall in Asian economies. Even with what is happening in the US, inherently we will see growth come through.'

Private banks' relatively low penetration of Asian markets presents opportunities, says Tjun Tang, Boston Consulting Group director. BCG is currently compiling data for its annual wealth survey. 'We're seeing assets sitting in private banks of less than US$1 trillion. But household wealth across Asia comes to US$16 trillion . . . Many banks are growing 20-30 per cent a year. If the underlying wealth is growing at an 8 per cent rate, there must be an increasing penetration of services.'

Market volatility, however, could impact banks' revenue streams as a substantial proportion comprises income that is transactional in nature. 'In Asia, a lot of revenues are generated through private banks selling transactional products. Now that there is less of a single directional trend, one risk is that private banking income may decline or be less stable,' says Mr Tang.

Still, he expects margins in Asia to remain healthy. 'We're still fairly bullish on Asia despite compensation levels having gone up a lot. Pre-tax margins are still in good territory.'

On the hiring front, the appetite for junior bankers appears to have abated, but almost all the banks say they are on the lookout for mature bankers with a book of business.

Nick Hughes of Fox Partnership, which specialises in placing top-level hires in wealth management, says: 'A bank may suffer sub-prime woes. But if there is a strong banker talent, he or she is an asset, regardless of the current situation.' Banks, he adds, will demand more accountability.

The firm continues to work on a number of 'interesting' projects, which includes placing Asian bankers in posts in Switzerland, for instance, to serve Asia from Europe, as well as the reverse - the hiring of European bankers for Asia.

On investments, bank strategists continue to see opportunities in emerging markets, particularly the Middle East and Latin America, and selected Asian markets. JP Morgan Private Bank chief investment strategist Ivan Leung believes regional stock markets are 'excellent long- term investments'. He singles out Thailand and Taiwan, which have underperformed Asia ex-Japan for four years, but are at the start of a domestic turnaround. Singapore and Korea are cheap, he adds, 'but will likely require some patience'.

On a 12-month view, Deutsche Bank Private Wealth Management forecasts a return of 10-16 per cent for US equities; 8-13 per cent for Euroland; and a higher 10-17 per cent for Latin America and Asian equities due to higher growth and earnings.
    Stop wasting your time on the forum. The forum will not make you rich.
    Have a break. Let me buy you a cup of coffee.

- Your private banker

Unregistered Guest

Stop wasting your time on the forum. The forum will not make you rich.
    Have a break. Let me buy you a cup of coffee.

- Your private banker
    How much must I invest?

Unregistered Guest

Childish moron.
    Pissed Pissed Pissed
    Those stuck are pissed
    Thought market would go up
    and they could flip
    But ended up getting the whip.
    Ohhh pissed pissed pissed
    Speculators are pissed

Unregistered Guest

Smile Re: Still bullish on Singapore property

YES . Still Bullish as bought property last week .

Unregistered Guest

huh going against trend

Unregistered Guest

Headstart in setting the trend?

Unregistered Guest

haha.....talk is free, so do paper trade.....

Unregistered Guest

haha.....talk is free, so do paper trade.....
    haha.....talk is free, but can you talk more please.....

Unregistered Guest

haha.....talk is free, but can you talk more please.....
    what you want him to talk about ??

Unregistered Guest

what you want him to talk about ??
    Anything lah.

Unregistered Guest

Anything lah.
    Cocks talking cork again.