Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Jurong Lake District the next hotspot for property hunting?

Default Is Jurong Lake District the next hotspot for property hunting?

http://propertysoul.com/2014/08/22/i...perty-hunting/

Is Jurong Lake District the next hotspot for property hunting?

August 22, 2014

I have to admit that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s 10th National Day Rally speech failed to get my attention the whole time. But the moment when I heard our PM said “I thought tonight I should show … Jurong Lake – at sunset”, my heart immediately skipped a beat.

He devoted a big part of his speech to paint a heavenly picture of the Jurong Lake District, followed by all the possibilities for future development of the area, before he ended his speech with a sentimental note on ‘believing in Singapore’.

Wow, as property-obsessed Singaporeans, how could our imaginations not run wild with the potential upside of properties in the west?

The future roadmap of Jurong Lake District

The ‘Jurong Lake Story’ was first introduced as part of the draft Master Plan 2008. It is the ‘remaking our heartland’ plan to shift business activities from the CBD to the west by building a commercial and residential hub in Jurong for both business and leisure.

Five years on, the Jurong Gateway area was almost there – with office buildings, a training centre, three shopping malls in three years, as well as a hospital and a condominium on the way.

The Jurong Lake Gardens area will also undergo a facelift for the housing estates and waterfront living. There will be a new cycling network, cycling trails in Taman Jurong along the town to town boulevard, Bukit Batok to Jurong Gateway, as well as the community boulevard to bring residents to the lakes. The heartland corridor will link up estates and the green spine will connect Teban and Pandan Gardens.

When completed, the Jurong Lake Gardens will be a family-friendly residential district close to nature, watersports and outdoor activities.

Should buyers take the plunge in the west?

A strategic coverage of Jurong Lake District at the National Day Rally can stimulate interest from developers to bid for new sites released in that area. But I am not from a developer or a property agency who can’t wait to sell you the J Gateway, Lakeville, Jurong West Condo or Vision Exchange.

I still recall vividly the day (i.e. 29 June 2013) when 1,400 blank cheques were submitted to MCL Land to ballot for the 738-unit J Gateway. Successful buyers paid $1,400 to $1,800 psf for their units, only to find out later in the evening that the government just announced the TDSR framework with effect from the very same day.

What signal do you think the government was sending to the market?

As a hardcore property investor, I only want to buy value-for-money and good quality properties minus all the market hype. The moment I buy I have to be sure that I can make a profit, not hoping that prices will go up.

As a sophisticated landlord, I only want to buy properties that attract expatriates with good budget, preferably company lease. I don’t want to deal with difficult tenants, late or no payment, etc.

I am not sure what you are looking for as a buyer or a landlord, but ask yourself four questions before you take the plunge:

1. Are you buying the hotspot area at the peak or bottom of the market?

2. How long are you prepared for the hotspot area to realize its full potential?

3. Do your ‘dream tenants’ like to stay in exclusive or heartland districts?

4. Will your tenants like to have the terminal of Singapore-Kuala Lumpur High Speed Rail at their doorstep?

Jurong Lake District – the next East Coast or Punggol?

“Where do you stay?” It is a casual question commonly asked by Singaporeans. But you can be sized up by your answer. Because in Singapore, many judge your financial status from the area you live.

1. East Coast

East Coast in the Katong area had been inhabited by the wealthy elite from the late 19th century. It was where the privileged class of Caucasians or prominent local families built their seaside villas and mansions. With the prestigious status and rich heritage of the location, it is no doubt that East Coast continues to be the preferred choice for many expatriates and middle class families.

2. Punggol

Punggol was traditionally a rural area with animal and vegetable farms. With urbanization and government planning, it has been completely transformed into a new town under the Punggol 21 initiative. Punggol has changed from dotted farmhouses to crowded HDB blocks and condominium projects popular with young families.

3. Jurong

Jurong was planned to be an industrial area for big factories from heavy industries. Jurong Island was constructed for oil, petrochemical and chemical plants. HDB flats were built to house workers and their families working in nearby factories. The working class is thus the foundation of the Jurong community, especially in the Jurong West area. That is why Jurong often leaves the impression of factory pollution and traffic congestion.

The three shopping malls at Jurong Gateway are frequented by heartlanders in flip flops and short pants. The upscale Robinsons and Isetan have their regional branches there. They don’t attract many customers like their main stores in Orchard. For some reasons I still prefer to patronize the latter.

There is going to be a new hotel. It is absurd that you don’t see tourists in the Jurong Lake, the Chinese Garden and the Japanese Garden. We make every effort to visit an outlet mall in a foreign country. Yet tourists here only flock to the two integrated resorts but not IMM with 55 outlets and just 30 minutes’ drive away from town.

Is Jurong Lake District a property gem or the ‘jewel in the crown’?

Well, it is too early to tell.

Will the transformation of Jurong make it the next East Coast?

Wait, we are not there yet. We have a long way to go.

Too late liao, those looking enter jurong or the west already late by 4 years....unless you don't mind being a carrothead

Quote Originally Posted by vip View Post

I am not sure what you are looking for as a buyer or a landlord, but ask yourself four questions before you take the plunge:

1. Are you buying the hotspot area at the peak or bottom of the market?

2. How long are you prepared for the hotspot area to realize its full potential?

3. Do your ‘dream tenants’ like to stay in exclusive or heartland districts?

4. Will your tenants like to have the terminal of Singapore-Kuala Lumpur High Speed Rail at their doorstep?.

Realistically, one should never expect to catch the bottom nor the peak, the more important thing for today's restrictive environment is to bu into growth story rather than past success story. And yes, JLD is a hot spot for expat tenants and thats exactly the reason why rental yield around JLD are the highest in Singapore despite psf been creeping up quickly over the years. Reasons? SCHOOLS and JOBS.

Schools : 2 mega international school, Canadian International School and soon to be Dulwich College, plus many Japanese schools along West Coast region. And there are also NTU Ngee Ann Poly, SP Poly, SIM, NUS all within 5 km radius.

Jobs : New hospitals, commercial offices in Jurong Gateway, Tuas PSA port, Cleantech Park, Wenya Industrial Park, Meditech park, Tuas biomedical park, Jurong Island.

The high speed rail line will be a game changer for Singapore and Malaysia and for expat families living in Singapore, that will be god sent because one of the favorite past time for them is always to travel overseas for short weekend holiday. So if HSR is right at their doorstep, they will be able to spend weekend in Malaysia or even buy a family holiday home in Melacca, or KL as it will be so convenient for the entire family to travel up north without the hassle of plane or tiring journey on coaches or driving.

JLD is not your run of the mill type of heartland shopping center, when fully developed, it will become a big commercial, entertainment, leisure and shopping hub. There is no places outside CBD that has got more than 5 mega shopping malls (there will be more to come), hotels, hospital, office building, golf course, world class garden, waterpark, waterbody, waterfront alfresco, edutainment themepark, international schools, and possible highspeed terminus all located within 1.5km radius.

Will JLD become the next East Coast? Why would JLD want to be the next East Coast? There is really nothing extra ordinary about East Coast other than its proximity to the beach, which will soon to be reclaimed. Where as at JLD, it has got almost everything except the beach.
    Last edited by Ringo33; 23-08-14 at 12:51.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    Too late liao, those looking enter jurong or the west already late by 4 years....unless you don't mind being a carrothead
    Yes too late liao. For those who want to buy property in singapore are already late by 50 years, nowadays all are like carrothead

Some people still did not realise the government determination to develop JLD...when u see confirmed road expansion/new roads creation and then now even want to shift an expressway, u know without any doubts JLD will be developed.

This as compared to Punggol 21, when there were only talks and little actions.

Now move on to marina, when the government built MCE, u immediately knows this is the area...

Next u look at Tanjong Pagar waterfront, whole ports to be shifted by 2027...u know this is another area to be in..

Hee hee.. in singapore the roadmap r there very clearly for people to see....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

In Singapore, when you follow like that, you sure can't make much money, because when you can really make money, rules such as SSD, TDSR, ABSD will be introduced to ensure you don't make much money...
    Same for last time ask people to study IT and many end up no job or having to take low pay jobs, and nobody is there to warn you that there is glut in IT jobs!
    However, they will never encourage you to study law, and when there is potential glut they will sound warning bell very early to ensure that you all don't come to fight to study law and cause glut...

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies View Post
    Some people still did not realise the government determination to develop JLD...when u see confirmed road expansion/new roads creation and then now even want to shift an expressway, u know without any doubts JLD will be developed.

Now move on to marina, when the government built MCE, u immediately knows this is the area...

Next u look at Tanjong Pagar waterfront, whole ports to be shifted by 2027...u know this is another area to be in..

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Will JLD become the next East Coast? Why would JLD want to be the next East Coast? There is really nothing extra ordinary about East Coast other than its proximity to the beach, which will soon to be reclaimed. Where as at JLD, it has got almost everything except the beach.
    Ringo, why you keep saying East Coast will be reclaimed?
    I remember last time you also mentioned.
    Any link to substantiate it?

I also believe JLD will be one of its kind.
    Sounds so exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    In Singapore, when you follow like that, you sure can't make much money, because when you can really make money, rules such as SSD, TDSR, ABSD will be introduced to ensure you don't make much money...
    Same for last time ask people to study IT and many end up no job or having to take low pay jobs, and nobody is there to warn you that there is glut in IT jobs!
    However, they will never encourage you to study law, and when there is potential glut they will sound warning bell very early to ensure that you all don't come to fight to study law and cause glut...
    Whoever listen to teddybear sure missed the boat, he has proven himself with MM, OCR and now JLD??

Those invested in and around JLD should rejoice.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies View Post

JLD development plan has expanded considerably since it was first announced in 2008. Since then almost every year this JLD was featured in NDP or mentioned by PM Lee during his speeches and this year he actually spend close to 15min talking about it during the NDR and drop the bomb that he intend to have the HSR terminus located in JLD and the realignment of AYE. And knowing government, they will not spend billion dollar investment like this on JLD if they dont intend to make something big and significant out of it

From the way I look at it, JLD will have a good 20 to 30 years grow story ahead and I expect JLD to one day merge with Pandan/Teban and Pandan reservoir to create one massive seamlessly connected SMART city district with many waterfront homes, commercial buildings, entertainment, hotels, malls, water sports etc. Something that is similar to Marina Bay, but with less blings. And of course, the entire district will be serve by Bicycle Sharing network.

Regarding Tuas port, it is supposed to be ready by 2020, and we can expect PSA to start moving their operation into Tuas by 2021. And this should also bring along many companies related to shipping industry to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    Ringo, why you keep saying East Coast will be reclaimed?
    I remember last time you also mentioned.
    Any link to substantiate it?

I also believe JLD will be one of its kind.
    Sounds so exciting!
    East Coast reclamation will happen as soon as PSA Tuas port reclamation is done. Singapore hunger for reclamation will not stop and PM Lee has already make it very obvious in one of the Q&A with DBS Gupta recently. You can perhaps have a look at this link to know more about what the future lies for East Coast. The only area which are not affect by the reclamation (based on current plan) are those LH99 residential estate such as Marine Terrace Marine Parade right till Bayshore are. But plans should change for the bigger not smaller.

http://rafflesmuseum.files.wordpress...t_1_2_2013.jpg

Yes, JLD is one really exciting project and property investors should not under estimate the knock on effect of HSR station because the government will do their very best to WOW the tourist when they arrive in Singapore.

Jgateway condo $2000psf is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    small gain for smaller unit.

Yes, JLD is one really exciting project and property investors should not under estimate the knock on effect of HSR station because the government will do their very best to WOW the tourist when they arrive in Singapore.
    HSR is good-to-have option, unsure if this will drive up the numbers travelling... time&cost saved comparing with budget air are not tremendous...hope this will not be overcooked ...
    A bottle of Lafite '82 for all my coffeeshop friends yesterday...many don't know what is it....haha...

agree, now anybody try to enter will be a big carrot waiting to be chop

Quote Originally Posted by walkthetiger View Post
    HSR is good-to-have option, unsure if this will drive up the numbers travelling... time&cost saved comparing with budget air are not tremendous...hope this will not be overcooked ...
    HSR is proven transport mode and 90mins is a realistic traveling target for the HSR. As we know that there is a sizable population of Malaysia PR living in Singapore so I would expect when HSR complete Malaysian PR will naturally want to make more frequent trip back to their kampong and I do expect that Jurong will become a popular place to live for Malaysia PR as well

In terms of cost, an express trip from Singapore to KL should cost around the same or slightly more than budget airline.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseed73 View Post

I have been hearing people saying the same thing about jurong property for years and I dont expect this to be the last because in 5 to 10 years time when HSR is running you will be saying the same thing.

HSR is proven transport mode and 90mins is a realistic traveling target for the HSR. As we know that there is a sizable population of Malaysia PR living in Singapore so I would expect when HSR complete Malaysian PR will naturally want to make more frequent trip back to their kampong and I do expect that Jurong will become a popular place to live for Malaysia PR as well

In terms of cost, an express trip from Singapore to KL should cost around the same or slightly more than budget airline.
    They may end up staying at JB Nusajaya instead and take the HSR into SG.

Even if can sell at record psf, earnings is still peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post

Those that bought j gateway in 2013 already kenna tok until jialat jialat liao, don't need to talk about entering now.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseed73 View Post

Even if can sell at record psf, earnings is still peanuts
    many companies already cuts spending going for lower rental, many units were be left vacant for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by litechaser View Post
    They may end up staying at JB Nusajaya instead and take the HSR into SG.
    Very unlikely. Malaysian PR who are already living in Singapore are unlikely to want to live in JB due to poor public transport. So for them to live in JB, they will have to get a car and then commute by public transport to Singapore. Other factors will also lack of schools and amenities for kids. Plus, there are also sizable population of MY PR married to Singaporeans with Singaporeans children

Those that bought j gateway in 2013 already kenna tok until jialat jialat liao, don't need to talk about entering now.

Those who bought J Gateway will sure to make money, there is no question about it.
    I expecting min 15% on top of developer price.

Dont believe you can revisit this post of yours in 2016.

Very unlikely. Malaysian PR who are already living in Singapore are unlikely to want to live in JB due to poor public transport. So for them to live in JB, they will have to get a car and then commute by public transport to Singapore. Other factors will also lack of schools and amenities for kids. Plus, there are also sizable population of MY PR married to Singaporeans with Singaporeans children

I find it highly likely though. Cars are freehold in Malaysia according to what I know. To save costs on housing and still enjoy luxury living, it makes more sense to buy a property in JB and take HSR over.

Cars - Freehold in Malaysia at half the price of new car?
    Properties - Easily one third to half the price of a comparable property in SG
    Schooling - HSR into Singapore
    Amenities - Driving in JB to reach all amenities in good time

Makes sense?
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    I find it highly likely though. Cars are freehold in Malaysia according to what I know. To save costs on housing and still enjoy luxury living, it makes more sense to buy a property in JB and take HSR over.

Cars - Freehold in Malaysia at half the price of new car?
    Properties - Easily one third to half the price of a comparable property in SG
    Schooling - HSR into Singapore
    Amenities - Driving in JB to reach all amenities in good time

Makes sense?
    HSR would not be cheap, and frequency may be too long. More likely than not, the Malaysians will be taking the RTS over to Woodlands rather than HSR. That said, some Malaysians with hometown in Malacca/KL/Negri Sembilan are likely to stay near Jurong East area, so that it's easy for them to go back hometown on weekends.

in JB, cars are very cheap so poor public transport is not an issue. Commuting by train should be much faster than driving via causeway / 2nd link. Nowadays schools at Educity can even beat many in SG. Costs of living is way lower than SG. They can even stay in beautiful landed properties which we in SG can only dream of. In fact many of their landed properties are in much better environment than Sg, eg facing golf courses, near water bodies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren49 View Post
    HSR would not be cheap, and frequency may be too long. More likely than not, the Malaysians will be taking the RTS over to Woodlands rather than HSR. That said, some Malaysians with hometown in Malacca/KL/Negri Sembilan are likely to stay near Jurong East area, so that it's easy for them to go back hometown on weekends.
    actually it takes only about 20 min if I am not wrong via the coastal highway from Nusajaya to RTS near causeway so its viable to use the RTS also.

in JB, cars are very cheap so poor public transport is not an issue. Commuting by train should be much faster than driving via causeway / 2nd link. Nowadays schools at Educity can even beat many in SG. Costs of living is way lower than SG. They can even stay in beautiful landed properties which we in SG can only dream of. In fact many of their landed properties are in much better environment than Sg, eg facing golf courses, near water bodies etc.

1) HSR is not designed for short distant commuting which in this case is only 14km. You will be better of taking MRT.

2) When you board the HSR train at Iskandar, you will need to go through passport clearance together with all other HSR passenger on the domestic line, hence you will still have to queue to clear immigration.

3) HSR ticket is not going to be cheap as all passenger will have to pay luggage allowance, service charges for using all the HSR facilities. ie. even if you are not bringing luggage. Same like full fare airline vs budget.

4) Malaysia car is cheap, but parking at HSR station might not necessary be cheap nor safe. Imagine commuting everyday from Home > Iskandar Station > Passport Clearance > Train ride > Passport clearance > JLD Station > MRT to work and then reverse back the journey when you get home? How much time do you need? 2 hours each way?

5) Why would any Malaysia PR living in Melacca or KL want to buy a property in Iskandar, when its not even their kampoung? Wont it be better off for them to buy a nice home in their own kampong and commute back every weekend instead? At least at their own kampoung, they have families friends etc.

6) You talk about schools in Educity, what kind of education system are they offering? Cost? Childcare? Pick up, drop off, cooking? Who is going to handle these when parents are working in Singapore?

7) Property in Malaysia looks good on paper, but in reality is there are no public transportation, place it too big, hospital and clinic are not easily accessible, everyone in the family needs to depends on car to move around, quality of food stuffs (except veg) are not as good as Singapore, and there is also the crime that they have to deal with especially if you have children or elderly.

Perhaps when HSR is up and running, you should give it a try and let us know if it is worth the hassle of living in Iskandar because of HSR.

actually it takes only about 20 min if I am not wrong via the coastal highway from Nusajaya to RTS near causeway so its viable to use the RTS also.
    Thats exactly the reason why I say that Woodland property will have very limited upside because with RTS those working in Woodland might be better off living in JB.

HSR ... High Speed Rail ... it's suppose to take this as preferred choice to go Melaka, Seremban, KL, Ipoh, Penang ... not Iskandar la ... wakao ...

Thats exactly the reason why I say that Woodland property will have very limited upside because with RTS those working in Woodland might be better off living in JB.
    Assuming the RTS is up and running, at peak hours, the time taken to clear immigration & security should be around 30 mins, given the enormous human traffic. We are only talking abt from JB station to Woodlands Station. I have not factored in the time taken to get to JB station from the locals' homes, which should be another 30 mins. Not everyone stays in city centre after all. Hence, we are talking in the region of 1 hour to get from their JB houses to Woodlands Thomson station.

For that additional 1 hour difference one-way, I think you will find many Malaysians choosing to stay in SG instead, esp if they are not Johoreans. What's more, many FTs needed in the regional centres such as PRCs will not be able to stay in JB and commute to SG to work.

Woodlands & Jurong East are set to bloom as regional centres, with 1 having RTS as the attraction (besides NS expressway & Thomson line) & the other having HSR & JRL). Both surroundings will be attractive to Malaysians to stay on weekdays, while they enjoy a smoother commute back to their hometown on weekends.

Khaw has stated it clearly in 1 of his blog by stating that the Govt will make Woodlands an outstanding Northern gateway. Is there any reason to think otherwise?