Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Jurong Lake District the next hotspot for property hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren49 View Post
    Assuming the RTS is up and running, at peak hours, the time taken to clear immigration & security should be around 30 mins, given the enormous human traffic. We are only talking abt from JB station to Woodlands Station. I have not factored in the time taken to get to JB station from the locals' homes, which should be another 30 mins. Not everyone stays in city centre after all. Hence, we are talking in the region of 1 hour to get from their JB houses to Woodlands Thomson station.

For that additional 1 hour difference one-way, I think you will find many Malaysians choosing to stay in SG instead, esp if they are not Johoreans. What's more, many FTs needed in the regional centres such as PRCs will not be able to stay in JB and commute to SG to work.

Woodlands & Jurong East are set to bloom as regional centres, with 1 having RTS as the attraction (besides NS expressway & Thomson line) & the other having HSR & JRL). Both surroundings will be attractive to Malaysians to stay on weekdays, while they enjoy a smoother commute back to their hometown on weekends.

Khaw has stated it clearly in 1 of his blog by stating that the Govt will make Woodlands an outstanding Northern gateway. Is there any reason to think otherwise?
    Please read what I said again. For those who work IN (WITHIN) woodland regional center, it will make economical sense to live in JB and commute by RTS to work in Singapore. (even if it take 30mins one way). In JB, one can easily rent an entire private apartment for S$500 (RM1250), however in Singapore thats barely enough to get a HDB room. So for someone working in Woodland I am sure many Singaporeans and PR will choose to live in JB instead. Beside rents, there is also cost benefit of food, service, transport etc.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Please read what I said again. For those who work IN (WITHIN) woodland regional center, it will make economical sense to live in JB and commute by RTS to work in Singapore. (even if it take 30mins one way). In JB, one can easily rent an entire private apartment for S$500 (RM1250), however in Singapore thats barely enough to get a HDB room. So for someone working in Woodland I am sure many Singaporeans and PR will choose to live in JB instead. Beside rents, there is also cost benefit of food, service, transport etc.
    Unless the commuters stay in the future R&F Princess Cove condo or the likes, its going to take around 1 hour just to get from their JB home to Woodlands Regional Centre (including jam, parking, MRT transfer, immigration & security clearance). 2-way means a 2 hour travel, compared to say, a future condo at Woodlands Regional Centre.

You also need to understand the profile of commuters. The majority of commuters do not earn > $4k per mth, and are likely to be v thrifty savers. A lot of the grads & EP are not going to move over just due to RTS. In fact, many cant due to Malaysia entry visa issues. Others simply shun Malaysia due to crime issues.

By your reasoning, the bus services from Jurong East Interchange to Gelang Patah, Bukit Indah, Sutera Utama, Tun Aminah are increasing all the time. Do you see many commuters shunning Jurong East condos and staying in these areas instead? The bus journey ranges between 1-1.5 hours each way fyi.

Unless the commuters stay in the future R&F Princess Cove condo or the likes, its going to take around 1 hour just to get from their JB home to Woodlands Regional Centre (including jam, parking, MRT transfer, immigration & security clearance). 2-way means a 2 hour travel, compared to say, a future condo at Woodlands Regional Centre.

You also need to understand the profile of commuters. The majority of commuters do not earn > $4k per mth, and are likely to be v thrifty savers. A lot of the grads & EP are not going to move over just due to RTS. In fact, many cant due to Malaysia entry visa issues. Others simply shun Malaysia due to crime issues.

By your reasoning, the bus services from Jurong East Interchange to Gelang Patah, Bukit Indah, Sutera Utama, Tun Aminah are increasing all the time. Do you see many commuters shunning Jurong East condos and staying in these areas instead? The bus journey ranges between 1-1.5 hours each way fyi.
    JLD is about 15km away from 2nd link and from 2nd link it will take another 15km to Gelang Patah, and a further 15km to JB city. All in all, you are talking about 45 to 50km of traveling distant on public transport from Jurong East to JB city. And this is via road, which is highly prone to traffic jam during peak hour.. Where as for RTS, distant from Woodland region center to JB is only around 5km, and there are no traffic jam to deal with, except for clearing immigration which shouldnt take more than 20mins.

So technically speaking, it will not be viable for someone living in JB city to community by public transport to JLD everyday, where as for RTS, the travelling time should not be more than 1 hour from door to door. And of course the benefit of living in JB and working in Woodlands is that a person can save plenty of money on housing and living expenses. So indirectly they are being rewarded financially for their 1 hour travel time.

Perhaps the proximity of Woodlands to JB City is the reason why property around that area are among the lowest in Singapore.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

JLD is about 15km away from 2nd link and from 2nd link it will take another 15km to Gelang Patah, and a further 15km to JB city. All in all, you are talking about 45 to 50km of traveling distant on public transport from Jurong East to JB city. And this is via road, which is highly prone to traffic jam during peak hour.. Where as for RTS, distant from Woodland region center to JB is only around 5km, and there are no traffic jam to deal with, except for clearing immigration which shouldnt take more than 20mins.

So technically speaking, it will not be viable for someone living in JB city to community by public transport to JLD everyday, where as for RTS, the travelling time should not be more than 1 hour from door to door. And of course the benefit of living in JB and working in Woodlands is that a person can save plenty of money on housing and living expenses. So indirectly they are being rewarded financially for their 1 hour travel time.

Perhaps the proximity of Woodlands to JB City is the reason why property around that area are among the lowest in Singapore.
    Not sure of the relevance of bus distance from JB Centre to JLD, when we are talking abt buses DIRECT to JE via 2nd link, for residents in Bukit Indah, Gelang Patah, Sutera Utama, Perling, Tun Aminah etc. Many locals have moved out of JB city now compared to 5-10 years ago.

Anyway I don't want to argue further. I have properties both in West and North, as well as in Iskandar. I follow my property agent's advice, which is to just go with the Govt's focus on development. If you think Woodlands rental will take a hit when RTS and relevant developments such as North Coast Innovation Corridor is completed, you are completely entitled to your view.

Woodlands 5 room HDB rental is ard S$2.3k now. Let's see how it trends when RTS is completed. Going by your theory, we should be seeing S$2k average rental for Woodlands 5 room HDB in 5-6 years time.

Thats exactly the reason why I say that Woodland property will have very limited upside because with RTS those working in Woodland might be better off living in JB.
    Yeah, thought of finding locum work in Woodlands when RTS is up and living in JB...kids can also take Thomson line to school...

Not sure of the relevance of bus distance from JB Centre to JLD, when we are talking abt buses DIRECT to JE via 2nd link, for residents in Bukit Indah, Gelang Patah, Sutera Utama, Perling, Tun Aminah etc. Many locals have moved out of JB city now compared to 5-10 years ago.

Anyway I don't want to argue further. I have properties both in West and North, as well as in Iskandar. I follow my property agent's advice, which is to just go with the Govt's focus on development. If you think Woodlands rental will take a hit when RTS and relevant developments such as North Coast Innovation Corridor is completed, you are completely entitled to your view.

Woodlands 5 room HDB rental is ard S$2.3k now. Let's see how it trends when RTS is completed. Going by your theory, we should be seeing S$2k average rental for Woodlands 5 room HDB in 5-6 years time.
    I think what I said was the positive effect of woodland regional development on property prices around woodland will be limited due to its proximity to JB. And that is because with RTS, Malaysia PR or Singaporeans working in woodlands would be attracted to rent a place in JB and commute back to Woodlands to work everyday.