Thread: Property market may stay quiet for up to a year

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Property market may stay quiet for up to a year

April 2, 2008

Property market may stay quiet for up to a year

Home prices, sales could remain weak as US sub-prime concerns linger

By Fiona Chan, Property Reporter

A MONTH ago, property consultants were predicting that the cooling market would pick up after June. That optimism has fast drained away.

Consultants now expect home prices and sales to remain weak for up to a year from now, after official estimates yesterday confirmed that price growth was tapering off.

'We can expect residential prices to continue weakening over the next 12 months', in the light of the United States sub-prime debacle and an expected US recession, said Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL).

Other consultancies, such as CB Richard Ellis Research, believe price growth will slow further in the second quarter, to '1 per cent or 2 per cent'.

Home sales are also plunging as buyers retreat - and they are expected to stay low as sellers dig in their heels to wait out the slowdown.

New home sales were likely to have dropped in the first quarter to one of the lowest levels ever, second only to those recorded during the Sars period.

In the secondary market, sales have fallen to 2005 levels, according to estimates from Savills Singapore.

Mid-tier private properties on the city fringe, such as in Novena, Toa Payoh, Marine Parade and Queenstown, are likely to be hardest hit by falling buyer demand.

These areas saw the biggest slowdown in price growth in the first 10 weeks of the year, suggesting that prices in these regions may be peaking, said JLL.

Buyers in these areas have shallower pockets and are more sensitive to market sentiment, it added.

In the HDB segment, prices have stabilised at about $50,000 cash over valuation or less, said Mr Eugene Lim, assistant vice-president at ERA Realty Network.

'Resale flats priced higher than that take much longer to sell or may not sell at all.'

Phillip Securities Research, meanwhile, aired concerns over the 'huge supply' of homes due to be completed in the next two years.

Supply is 'expected to exceed the demand from buyers and result in a slide in local property prices from 2010', it said.

HDB plans to release another 5,000 new build-to-order flats in the next six months. There are also 64,900 private homes in the pipeline, of which 90 per cent will be completed by 2011, while 60 per cent have yet to be sold.

Most experts believe, however, that confidence and demand will return by year-end - as long as the Singapore economy stays robust.

'Sellers now take a while to sell their homes, but there are still buyers,' said Mr Eric Cheng, the executive director of HSR property group.

'Last year, it took maybe a month to sell a home. Now, it takes two months. But in 2000 or 2002, it took a year,' he said.

[email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Property market may stay quiet for up to a year

A year? A bit too long.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    A year? A bit too long.
    You should say thanks it is only one year!! It could be worst.

I even heard that end of year there will be a number of speculators selling off their units.

Unregistered Guest

I even heard that end of year there will be a number of speculators selling off their units.
    I agree.

Price rise in property is normal with growth in economy. But the price rise should be at the same rate.

In 2007, the rise was not justified by the rest of the economic growth. The price rise was much faster. This means that it was not real demand (people want to live in) but speculative demand (people only want to make money).

If it was real demand, price rise would be slower in 2007, and would not drop so much in 2008.
    But because it was speculative, it was fast rise, and can be fast drop now.

Why would I keep money in property when I can take it out by the middle of the year and buy stocks at good prices and make money faster?

Unregistered Guest

Talking Re: Property market may stay quiet for up to a year

I agree.

Price rise in property is normal with growth in economy. But the price rise should be at the same rate.

In 2007, the rise was not justified by the rest of the economic growth. The price rise was much faster. This means that it was not real demand (people want to live in) but speculative demand (people only want to make money).

If it was real demand, price rise would be slower in 2007, and would not drop so much in 2008.
    But because it was speculative, it was fast rise, and can be fast drop now.

Why would I keep money in property when I can take it out by the middle of the year and buy stocks at good prices and make money faster?
    I beg to defer yr argument. R u aware that our property prices are actually much lower compared to other popular cities like Hong Kong and Tokyo. In fact, the big rise in 07 was actually a catching up scenario with the rest of the world and I can tell the current price compared to say HK is still much lower.

Can't you noticed why there are so many foreign top talents flocking to Singapore to stay and work. Housing will be one of their top consideration when making their decision to come. And why so many of them are still coming? Its becos our prices are still low. I am of the opinion that we must always compare ourselves with 1st class cities like HK and Tokyo. That should be the benchmark. Singaporeans are always selfish in that they only want quality life but they are not prepared to pay which IMO it does'nt make any sense. But we must be mindful that a bowl of noodles will never be back to $1. We have to be realistic and inflation will be here to stay.

Unregistered Guest

I beg to defer yr argument. R u aware that our property prices are actually much lower compared to other popular cities like Hong Kong and Tokyo. In fact, the big rise in 07 was actually a catching up scenario with the rest of the world and I can tell the current price compared to say HK is still much lower.

Can't you noticed why there are so many foreign top talents flocking to Singapore to stay and work. Housing will be one of their top consideration when making their decision to come. And why so many of them are still coming? Its becos our prices are still low. I am of the opinion that we must always compare ourselves with 1st class cities like HK and Tokyo. That should be the benchmark. Singaporeans are always selfish in that they only want quality life but they are not prepared to pay which IMO it does'nt make any sense. But we must be mindful that a bowl of noodles will never be back to $1. We have to be realistic and inflation will be here to stay.
    another way to say it:
    people who enjoy wine elsewhere will pay to enjoy good wine, not always the cheap wine...

Unregistered Guest

This brave Developer think like u. Read,

A SMALL property firm that snapped up enough sites to place it among the top en bloc players last year has put off completing two deals while it ties up funding.
    Because of the delays, owners at one condo are still waiting to pick up cheques for well over $1 million each. They expected payment in late February but an extension put this back to March and now the due date is late this month.

The payments are pending from Bravo Building Construction, a relatively new firm on the property scene. It bought freehold Pender Court condominium in the Telok Blangah area for $80 million last July and soon after purchased Tulip Garden near Holland Road - also freehold - for $516 million.

But completion of both deals seems to have stalled.

Completion is at the final stage of the sale process and triggers the final payment - usually around 95 per cent of the purchase price - to owners. The remaining 5 per cent is paid when the owner vacates.

These headaches for the owners come amid a slowing market for collective sales. The first quarter this year saw just one relatively small deal, compared with some 25 notched up in the same period last year.

The Tulip Garden transaction is expected to be completed late next month but Bravo has already asked for two postponements - first to July 23 and then Aug 7.

It has also asked for extensions to pay an additional 5 per cent of the purchase price - $25.8 million.

This is a routine payment required once the Strata Titles Board approves a sale. An initial 5 per cent deposit was paid when the sale was done.

The deadline for the second 5 per cent payment was March 13 but Bravo won approval to move it to April 7. Then in mid-March, it again asked to move the date, this time to May 5.

However, before the sale committee could respond to the request, it is understood that Bravo asked again to have the date moved even further back, to June 7.

Tulip Garden sold for about $1,018 per sq ft. It has 164 units comprising 96 flats, 66 maisonettes and two shophouses. Flat owners stand to reap $2.5 million to $4.2 million while maisonette owners will receive about $3.4 million each. The shop units will get about $1.1 million each.

The owners are meeting this weekend to consider Bravo's requests that the completion date be pushed back to Aug 7 and the deadline for the $25.8 million payment be extended to June 7.

The Pender Court deal is even further behind schedule.

Bravo was supposed to have completed the sale on Feb 25 but had it postponed, initially to around mid-March. It then asked for a further extension to April 24, which has apparently been granted.

Pender Court's 48 owners should each get $1.6 million or so for their flats, which sold for about $872 psf.

Sources have told The Straits Times that they understand Bravo is committed to completing the two purchases and just needs more time to arrange funding.

Bravo, which was registered in 2002, reportedly picked up $824.5 million worth of en bloc sale deals last year, making it the fourth-largest buyer of en bloc sites.

Bravo's directors could not be reached for comment, despite numerous telephone calls and a visit to its office in an industrial building in Geylang Road last Friday. A Bravo staff member said that the company directors were away on business.

Unregistered Guest

"Heard" from who leh?

Sour grapes are the lowest class citizens in society who probably holds a lowly position in a place like Pioneer Circle and mixes around with those of the same kind.

Such people only talk about buying 4D or going to the Turf Club; visiting Geylang during weekdays and Batam during weekends.

How can a sour grape ever come into contact with anyone who is knowledgeable about the property market.

Why would an agent waste time talking to a sour grape who has no property to lease, no property to sell and no money to buy anything?

Unregistered Guest

End of which year?

You said the same thing last year, but it didn't happen.

Sounds like those end-of-the-world Gurus predicting the end of the world ... forever postponing ...

Unregistered Guest

Really no class. Your post is totally unconstructive. Really reflects badly on your upbringing. I don't think you are the "high class" type. More like some agent or speculator who pooled your life savings with a few other greedy colleagues to buy a condo, and now becoming desparate.

"Heard" from who leh?

Sour grapes are the lowest class citizens in society who probably holds a lowly position in a place like Pioneer Circle and mixes around with those of the same kind.

Such people only talk about buying 4D or going to the Turf Club; visiting Geylang during weekdays and Batam during weekends.

How can a sour grape ever come into contact with anyone who is knowledgeable about the property market.

Why would an agent waste time talking to a sour grape who has no property to lease, no property to sell and no money to buy anything?

Unregistered Guest

"Heard" from who leh?

From your comments it is more like you are describing about your self. People who have class will not speak like this.

Unregistered Guest

this so call fiona very joker one

sometime she say market will up

sometime she say market will go down

i dun really understand leh

i mean in the first place she might be staying in HDB?

Unregistered Guest

Really no class. Your post is totally unconstructive. Really reflects badly on your upbringing. I don't think you are the "high class" type. More like some agent or speculator who pooled your life savings with a few other greedy colleagues to buy a condo, and now becoming desparate.
    From your comments it is more like you are describing about your self. People who have class will not speak like this.
    I never say I am "high class" hor ...

I am just "middle upper class", but definitely higher class than the sour grapes, who are of the lowest class.

And in case sour grapes don't understand the class system in Singapore, please don't mix "middle upper class" with "upper middle class".

"upper middle class" are those people who stay in those cheap Executive Condos.

Unregistered Guest

I never say I am "high class" hor ...

I am just "middle upper class", but definitely higher class than the sour grapes, who are of the lowest class.

And in case sour grapes don't understand the class system in Singapore, please don't mix "middle upper class" with "upper middle class".

"upper middle class" are those people who stay in those cheap Executive Condos.
    HOW CAN U GENERALISE CLASS???? I THINK U HAVE NO CLASS AT ALL.
    EVEN PROSTITUDE HAVE SOME CLASS. U DUN DISGRACE THE ""MIDDLE UPPER CLASS"" GO BACK TO CLASS IN YOUR SCHOOL, U NEED TO BE RE-EDUCATED AGAIN.

Unregistered Guest

She can report whatever she observe but as to whether you accept or not, that is a different things. Most important is to trust yourself and stand by your views.

Unregistered Guest

NOTHING WRONG STAYING IN A HDB.
    BUT IF U DUN UNDERSTAND, U R STUPID, IT IS UR PROBLEM.

Unregistered Guest

"Heard" from who leh?

There is no class here, only 2 groups of people, one who are bullish and other who are bearish. I think there is another group, these people like to use "sour grapes", maybe we should call them losers since they like to call people using names.

Unregistered Guest

"Heard" from who leh?

U MUST BE A LOW CLASS AGENT, WHU RENT ROOM TO WORKERS.

PROFFESSIONAL AGENT DUN TALK LIKE TAT, THEY SERVE ALL CLASS OF PEOPLE, U MIGHT NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR THEM TO SERVE, STILL THEY LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TO BE ABLE TO SERVE U.

ONLY U, LOW CLASS RM AGENT SERVE INSTANT CLIENT, THEREAFTER FLY BY NIGHT.

Unregistered Guest

End of which year?

You said the same thing last year, but it didn't happen.

Sounds like those end-of-the-world Gurus predicting the end of the world ... forever postponing ...
    Shame on you, say property still rising so that buyers get fooled and buy and you get your commission. By the time property drop you dumped buyers like a fools. shame on you.

Unregistered Guest

HOW CAN U GENERALISE CLASS???? I THINK U HAVE NO CLASS AT ALL.
    EVEN PROSTITUDE HAVE SOME CLASS. U DUN DISGRACE THE ""MIDDLE UPPER CLASS"" GO BACK TO CLASS IN YOUR SCHOOL, U NEED TO BE RE-EDUCATED AGAIN.

PROFFESSIONAL AGENT DUN TALK LIKE TAT, THEY SERVE ALL CLASS OF PEOPLE, U MIGHT NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR THEM TO SERVE, STILL THEY LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TO BE ABLE TO SERVE U.

This person who likes to post in capitals, as though he is shouting at everyone here, must be the lowest class of all - the underclass.

Unregistered Guest

Shame on you, say property still rising so that buyers get fooled and buy and you get your commission. By the time property drop you dumped buyers like a fools. shame on you.
    By the time? by wat time?? u r predicting again. shame on u.

Unregistered Guest

This person who likes to post in capitals, as though he is shouting at everyone here, must be the lowest class of all - the underclass.
    SHALLOW MORON

Unregistered Guest

Let's analyse this person who post in CAPS.

He wrote:

Firstly, we can tell that he is staying in HDB.

Secondly, we can tell that he has dealt with a "low class" room rental agent before.

So is he the landlord or the tenant? From the way he posts, should be the tenant - some sort of foreign worker from don't know which country, staying in a rented room in an HDB flat.

This foreign worker obviously has never dealt with a property agent before, other than his "low class" room rental agent. (what else do you expect?)

What a stupid statement "PROFFESSIONAL AGENT DUN TALK LIKE TAT, THEY SERVE ALL CLASS OF PEOPLE, U MIGHT NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR THEM TO SERVE, STILL THEY LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TO BE ABLE TO SERVE U."

This is the MOST stupid statement I've ever read. More stupid than all the other stupid statements posted by other sour grapes added together.

Property agents may be quite free nowadays, but they are not so bored till they will entertain someone who has NOTHING for them to do.

Why don't our HDB Room Rental Worker call up one of these property agents:

HDB Room Rental Worker: "HALLO! ERA IS IT?"

Property Agent: "Yes? May I help you?"

HDB Room Rental Worker: "WILL YOU SERVE ME?"

Property Agent: "May I know whether you would like to buy, sell, rent or lease?"

HDB Room Rental Worker: "NONE OF THE ABOVE! I GOT NOTHING FOR YOU TO DO! WILL YOU SERVE ME?"

Property Agent "Excuse me? How precisely would you like me to serve you? What would you like me to do for you?"

HDB Room Rental Worker "YOU MUST LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TO BE ABLE TO SERVE ME!"

What a stupid HDB Room Rental Worker.

Unregistered Guest

He wrote:

Secondly, we can tell that he has dealt with a "low class" room rental agent before.

So is he the landlord or the tenant? From the way he posts, should be the tenant - some sort of foreign worker from don't know which country, staying in a rented room in an HDB flat

This foreign worker obviously has never dealt with a property agent before, other than his "low class" room rental agent. (what else do you expect?)

What a stupid statement "PROFFESSIONAL AGENT DUN TALK LIKE TAT, THEY SERVE ALL CLASS OF PEOPLE, U MIGHT NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR THEM TO SERVE, STILL THEY LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TO BE ABLE TO SERVE U."

This is the MOST stupid statement I've ever read. More stupid than all the other stupid statements posted by other sour grapes added together.

Property agents may be quite free nowadays, but they are not so bored till they will entertain someone who has NOTHING for them to do.

Property Agent: "May I know whether you would like to buy, sell, rent or lease?"

HDB Room Rental Worker: "NONE OF THE ABOVE! I GOT NOTHING FOR YOU TO DO! WILL YOU SERVE ME?"

Property Agent "Excuse me? How precisely would you like me to serve you? What would you like me to do for you?"

HDB Room Rental Worker "YOU MUST LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TO BE ABLE TO SERVE ME!"

Moron no 4. catch

Unregistered Guest

He wrote:

So is he the landlord or the tenant? From the way he posts, should be the tenant - some sort of foreign worker from don't know which country, staying in a rented room in an HDB flat.

Greatest Moron on earth. free drama