Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: End of property boom in sight?

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: End of property boom in sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    It's not you are deceived.
    You live in denial, so many people in this forum told you so, you refused to listen & accept.
    Hold on to your property, a good run like last year will be here again, look at Shanghai now,

上海楼市行情反弹

上海楼市量价齐涨重演去年反弹行情http://www.sina.com.cn 2008年04月01日 02:18 中国证券报-中证网
      □新华社记者 徐寿松 蔡国兆
      “人们最担心发生的某种情况往往真的会发生。”墨菲定律在上海楼市再次得到印证。进入3月以来,上海商品房成交量骤增,单日成交突破千套,房价亦随之上行。去年春夏之交的楼市“报复性”弹升行情又将重演吗?
      成交急速放量
      上海市房地产交易中心数据显示,3月28日上海市一手房签约1059套,这是最近十天内(19日-28日)新房日成交量第四次突破千套大关。3月25 日成交1032套、3月24日成交1071套、3月19日成交1024套,成交面积均在9万平方米以上,其中八成以上是住宅。
      进入3月份以来,上海楼市成交日益放量,从日成交不足400套一路走高。记者对3月前28天的数据统计显示,一手房总共成交近2万套,日均成交710套。
      值得注意的是,成交量日渐放大的势头非常明显:3月第一个完整周(3日-9日)成交3985套,第二个完整周(10日-16日)成交4581 套,第三个完整周(17日-23日)成交5260余套。3月最后一周的成交量更是骤增,日均成交套数已接近900套,是去年底至今年2月日均成交量的3 倍。
      就交易量而言,上海楼市已然回暖。上海佑威房地产研究中心主任薛建雄指出,成交量频频突破千套,即使在房地产市场行情很好的时候也是较为少见的。
      据分析,促使近期上海房地产成交量大幅上扬有两方面因素:一是新盘扎堆上市、供应量上升;二是政府动迁配套房成交增多。即便剔除配套房因素,市场化住宅成交快速攀升仍是势不可挡。上海佑威房地产研究中心的数据显示,在3月11日-25日这半个月内,商品住宅供应量环比(2月25日-3月10日)飙升 125%,成交量上升51%,平均成交价格涨近两成。
      跳价卷土重来
      伴随交易量的上升,开发商似已探明消费者的心理底线,热点地区的一些楼盘开始提价。
      在3月中旬的春季房展会上,一些楼盘见展会期间人气很旺,即低开高走。展会首日,某楼盘报价每平方米2.25万元,第三天报价涨至每平方米2.3万元,而此前一周其最低售价还只有每平方米2.1万元。
      3月中下旬新上市的楼盘价格更是普遍上涨。据上海市网上房地产公开信息统计,在曾有前期推盘的15个楼盘中,13个楼盘价格比上一批房源价格明显上涨,只有2个楼盘价格微跌,跌幅不过每平方米一二百元,而涨幅则在每平方米一两千元。
      楼市回暖甚至出现热销的势头给了开发商再度涨价——或者说执行“低开高走”销售策略的信心。一些房地产企业在内部定价会上明确,销售部门可根据市场情况,自行上浮5%至10%。
      不仅仅是新的商品房市场在涨价,二手房市场的跳价更为“露骨”。某楼盘一套73平方米的小居室3月上旬还挂价130万元,等到下旬记者再次询问,房东已跳到160万元。
    YES SHANGHAI 6000 PTS IN OCTOBER AND NOW 3000 PTS. SO BE READY FOR A 50% DROP.

Also consider the price of properties in relation to people's incomes. A million dollars is a million dollars. Very few countries in the world can afford house prices at that level. Do Singaporeans have enough per capita income to support these prices?
    That's an interesting statement. Please check out the per capita income of other 1st world countries (ie Hong Kong, Japan, UK etc) and compare it to the property prices there too. You are in for a surprise.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toaler
    That's an interesting statement. Please check out the per capita income of other 1st world countries (ie Hong Kong, Japan, UK etc) and compare it to the property prices there too. You are in for a surprise.
    I was hoping someone else would save me the trouble, but since you asked, I checked.

Singapore has a PCI of around US$30K, HK is US$28K, Japan is 35K, UK is 40-45K.

In London you can get landed property in Zone 1 for around SGD 600K (around GBP 200K). This I know because friends of mine have bought such places.

HK and Tokyo prices I don't know, perhaps others on this thread can help with answers to that. When giving prices, please also describe the type and location of property (e.g. condo in Mid-Levels or apt. in New Territories)

Unregistered Guest

Default !

Those homebuyers lah who bought $4m-$10m condo.
    Those $10m condo some of them dont even fetch SG$25000/month.
    Do you think these buyers who pay $10M will be concerned with rent at $25K or $35K? Think.

More likely, the one who bought at $1M+- are more concerned if the rental can fetch $4k or $4.5K.

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: !

Do you think these buyers who pay $10M will be concerned with rent at $25K or $35K? Think.

More likely, the one who bought at $1M+- are more concerned if the rental can fetch $4k or $4.5K.
    Just like a person who bought a million $ Ferrari will not be concerned about high petrol price. The one who bought a Hyudai or Proton is more concerned.

Unregistered Guest

Dropped from 6000 pts (Oct 07) to 3000+ pts (now) still can hold the value and keep increasing. Imagine if the index shot back to 6000 pts, it will be through the roof and beam into outer space.

Unregistered Guest

Woooohahahaha read between the lines. Pathetic. It is going down for sure.
    The news say it is still going up.
    Did I missed anything?

I'm confused by you, maddog.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNA

HDB and private property prices up in Q1 flash estimates
    Channel NewsAsia
    Tuesday, 1 April 2008, 1345 hrs

Private residential property prices in Singapore rose 4.2% in the first quarter this year, according to the latest preliminary estimates from the Urban Redevelopment Authority.

The pace was slower than the 6.8% clip recorded in the fourth quarter of last year.

On a quarter on quarter basis, the biggest rise in property prices for non-landed properties came from the central districts just outside the prime postal districts of 9, 10 and 11.

Prices in these central areas (i.e. RCR) increased 7.7% in January to March, compared with the October to December period.

Properties in the prime districts of 9, 10 and 11, as well as the downtown area and Sentosa (i.e. CCR), rose 7.5% on quarter.

And those in the rest of Singapore (i.e. OCR) advanced about 7% in the first quarter from the previous three months.

The preliminary estimates are based on transaction prices given in caveats lodged during the first 10 weeks of the quarter, as well as the number of new units sold.

Meantime, the Housing and Development Board says prices of HDB resale flats rose 3.4% in the January to March period over the previous three months.

This is lower than the 5.7% increase in the fourth quarter.

Both the URA and HDB will release final figures at the end of April.

The URA said in its release, that as at 4th Quarter 2007,there are about 64,900 private residential units in the pipeline, of which about 56,100 new private housing units are expected to be completed between 2008 and 2011.

There are also some 38,300 units that have yet to be put on sale by developers.

As for the supply of government flats, the HDB said it had made available in the first quarter of this year, some 1,100 new flats in two Build-To-Order (BTO) projects in Punggol and Yishun.

It said that depending on demand, there could be another 5,000 new BTO flats in towns such as Punggol, Sengkang, Woodlands and Bukit Panjang.

The total planned BTO supply of 6,100 new flats for January till September 2008 will surpass the annual BTO flat supply in 2007 and 2006.

This new supply of flats will be in addition to those offered under Balloting Exercises for surplus replacement SERS and other flats, as well as the planned release of three Design-and-Build sites in Simei, Toa Payoh and Bedok with some 1,500 flats in the 1st half of 2008.
    Who ask you to listen to Maddog? He is not trustworthy.

He just make sweeping statement such as "it is going down for sure" without even checking the facts.
    mad dog ?? he dare to appear here ??
    say Q3 07 will drop , Q3 07 went up .
    say Q4 07 will drop , Q4 07 went up .
    say Q1 08 will drop , Q1 08 went up.
    all bullshit !!
    not - all dogshit !!

Unregistered Guest

Will the property prices keep rising in stagflation?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZM2OxYMU7f8

Unregistered Guest

Will the property prices keep rising in stagflation?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZM2OxYMU7f8
    No but since there is no stagflation here, it will continue to rise.

Unregistered Guest

That is stock market.
    2 yrs ago, 3/2006, SSE at 1100, went up to 6000, now at 3300, still up 300% from 2 yrs ago.
    But their property price up since yr 2000, till now easily up 500% in last 8 yrs. Now Shanghai property surge again 20% in last month.
    Property once run, it will up 20-30% within 1 month, Spore property will be ready soon after those weak holder sold their property.

Unregistered Guest

My stupid reliable source told me it is going down in Q1.
    There may be some truth in that.

The last two times property market caught fire in Singapore, it ended up burning everyone with extreme crashes.
    Once it was the Asian Financial Crisis. Other time was SARS.

This time you have the global financial crisis. Last time Ringgit being devalued caused such a problem in the region. This time the US$ is going down and we have a food shortage. I feel that this time its going to be much worse and the effects will be just as bad. OK so the IR and F1 are coming, but if high-rollers have lost their money, who is going to come and spend here on those items.
    I know. Believe me. I like you also like to talk, talk, talk. Say this, say that.

Anyway, to put it simply, that stupid source is simply unreliable!
    Let's face it. We're all wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong! All wrong!

Fedup!
    Siao lah! Fedup for what?
    Most important thing is what are you going to do about it.

Unregistered Guest

No but since there is no stagflation here, it will continue to rise.
    If you click on the link, you'll see the article is about stagflation in Singapore.

We all know prices of food and everyday items are rising, at the same time the government has reduced the growth estimates. In Q407, GDP contracted by 5%. Q108 also shows contraction - its an official recession.

According to govt. statistics, we have a recession.
    According to govt. statistics, we have inflation.
    Recession + Inflation means Stagflation.

So if according to the Singapore government we have stagflation, what do you think is going to happen to the property prices?

Also, see the last line in this quote from the URA:
    Quote Originally Posted by URA
    The Government will continue to monitor prices closely and release relevant price sensitive information in a timely manner. On the supply side, as at 4th Quarter 2007, there are about 64,900 private residential units in the pipeline, of which about 56,100 new private housing units are expected to be completed between 2008 and 2011. About 38,300 units of the supply in the pipeline (or 59%) have not been sold by developers yet. Prospective home-buyers are advised to take into consideration the ample pipeline supply of private housing when making decisions on property purchase.

2nd property Guest

Thumbs up Re: End of property boom in sight?

Quote Originally Posted by toaler
    Haha Dont worry I will still be around and happily shopping for a 2nd pte property if the crash does come. So dont worry for me. If the crash doesn't come, the cash will just sit around in the other investments options available.
    First private property bought cheap cheap few years back. Now appreciate more than 40%. Even market dip 20%, still can sell and make $$$.

Another FH condo at D15 bought last year. Already appreciate more than 20%. If market dip more than 20% or crash, I will keep for renting out.

Like Toaler, I will be very happy to shop for a 3rd property if market crash. (I will then convert my other investment option ---(wine investment) into 3rd property investment. (Buai Si - Won't die one)

Unregistered Guest

If you click on the link, you'll see the article is about stagflation in Singapore.

We all know prices of food and everyday items are rising, at the same time the government has reduced the growth estimates. In Q407, GDP contracted by 5%. Q108 also shows contraction - its an official recession.

So if according to the Singapore government we have stagflation, what do you think is going to happen to the property prices?

Q1 08 contracted by how much? 5%? 0% -5%?

Unregistered Guest

-5%? It's a growth.
    He is just trying to bullshit us.

Singapore is in a recession?!!Now that's new

Unregistered Guest

I don't know, the quarter has just ended, lets see what the official statistics say when they come out.

My question was that IF there is an official stagflation in Singapore, what do we think is going to happen to Singapore property? Will it be like the previous times? Or will we be safer this time?

Unregistered Guest

I don't know, the quarter has just ended, lets see what the official statistics say when they come out.

My question was that IF there is an official stagflation in Singapore, what do we think is going to happen to Singapore property? Will it be like the previous times? Or will we be safer this time?
    Oh! OK. You were guessing.

Shall we wait for Q1 08 GDP result before we conclude if there is a recession and stagflation?

The wait is a short one.

Unregistered Guest

My suggestion to all ppty owners is to continue to hold your units. Don't let go easily. It comes to a point very soon that ppl will start to realize that in order to preserve their assets value is to invest in ppty to hedge the monster inflation that looming into Asia.

Mark my words, Singapore ppty prices will continue to appreciate and double in a year or two.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd property
    First private property bought cheap cheap few years back. Now appreciate more than 40%. Even market dip 20%, still can sell and make $$$.

Another FH condo at D15 bought last year. Already appreciate more than 20%. If market dip more than 20% or crash, I will keep for renting out.

Like Toaler, I will be very happy to shop for a 3rd property if market crash. (I will then convert my other investment option ---(wine investment) into 3rd property investment. (Buai Si - Won't die one)
    Haizzz 20% only. put AUD 3 yrs already 24% and liquid asset some more.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd property

Haizzz 20% only. put AUD 3 yrs already 24% and liquid asset some more.
    Firstly, you forgot the rental yield of approximately 5% p.a.This is assuming that the person pays for the property with his own money and doesn't take a loan from the bank, so that there is no mortgage interest.

Secondly, the quantum of investment in properties is much greater than investments in foreign currencies. You are usually using a bank loan for leverage when purchasing a property, but no bank will lend you money to place in Aussie dollars (I'll talk about margin trading accounts later).

Let's say you have SGD 250,000.

If you place in Aussie dollars to earn 8% p.a. or 24% for 3 years, the gain is $60,000 for three years.

If you use the same amount to place a 20% deposit for a condo in D11 or D15 three years ago, that would have earned you far superior returns. For example,

Newton Suites (District 11)

6 Jun 2005 #34-02 1,238 sf S$1,158,000 ($935 psf)

26 Feb 2008 #34-02 1,238 sf $2,352,200 (1,900 psf)

The person who has bought and sold this unit has made $1,194,200 in 2 years and 8 months.

Percentage wise that's 103% over 2 years 8 months, or 38.7% per year.

Twin Regency (District 4)

20 July 2004 #35-02 980 sf S$773,500 ($790 psf)

19 Nov 2007 #35-02 980 sf $1,400,000 (1,429 psf)

The person who has bought and sold this unit has made $626,500 in 3 years and 4 months.

Percentage wise that's 81% over 3 years 4 months, or 24.3% per year.

Of course, such percentage increases may not be sustainable in future.

What I want to point is that the quantum of investment is very high in property because it's a highly leveraged investment. Of course it can cut both ways, and the magnitude of loss can also be very high.

Of course for foreign currencies, you can also leverage using those margin trading accounts, but you must remember you are playing against the bank's top traders. Can you beat them in the game?

Unregistered Guest

My suggestion to all ppty owners is to continue to hold your units. Don't let go easily. It comes to a point very soon that ppl will start to realize that in order to preserve their assets value is to invest in ppty to hedge the monster inflation that looming into Asia.

Mark my words, Singapore ppty prices will continue to appreciate and double in a year or two.
    WORDS ARE CHEAP AND EASY

Unregistered Guest

This is going to happen.
    April 2, 2008, The Straits Times
    Property market may stay quiet for up to a year
    Home prices, sales could remain weak as US sub-prime concerns linger
    By Fiona Chan, Property Reporter

A MONTH ago, property consultants were predicting that the cooling market would pick up after June. That optimism has fast drained away.
    Consultants now expect home prices and sales to remain weak for up to a year from now, after official estimates yesterday confirmed that price growth was tapering off.

'We can expect residential prices to continue weakening over the next 12 months', in the light of the United States sub-prime debacle and an expected US recession, said Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL). Other consultancies, such as CB Richard Ellis Research, believe price growth will slow further in the second quarter, to '1 per cent or 2 per cent'.

Home sales are also plunging as buyers retreat - and they are expected to stay low as sellers dig in their heels to wait out the slowdown. New home sales were likely to have dropped in the first quarter to one of the lowest levels ever, second only to those recorded during the Sars period.

In the secondary market, sales have fallen to 2005 levels, according to estimates from Savills Singapore. Mid-tier private properties on the city fringe, such as in Novena, Toa Payoh, Marine Parade and Queenstown, are likely to be hardest hit by falling buyer demand. These areas saw the biggest slowdown in price growth in the first 10 weeks of the year, suggesting that prices in these regions may be peaking, said JLL. Buyers in these areas have shallower pockets and are more sensitive to market sentiment, it added.

In the HDB segment, prices have stabilised at about $50,000 cash over valuation or less, said Mr Eugene Lim, assistant vice-president at ERA Realty Network. 'Resale flats priced higher than that take much longer to sell or may not sell at all.'

Phillip Securities Research, meanwhile, aired concerns over the 'huge supply' of homes due to be completed in the next two years. Supply is 'expected to exceed the demand from buyers and result in a slide in local property prices from 2010', it said. HDB plans to release another 5,000 new build-to-order flats in the next six months. There are also 64,900 private homes in the pipeline, of which 90 per cent will be completed by 2011, while 60 per cent have yet to be sold.

Most experts believe, however, that confidence and demand will return by year-end - as long as the Singapore economy stays robust. 'Sellers now take a while to sell their homes, but there are still buyers,' said Mr Eric Cheng, the executive director of HSR property group. 'Last year, it took maybe a month to sell a home. Now, it takes two months. But in 2000 or 2002, it took a year,' he said.

Unregistered Guest

This is going to happen.
    April 2, 2008, The Straits Times
    Property market may stay quiet for up to a year
    Home prices, sales could remain weak as US sub-prime concerns linger
    By Fiona Chan, Property Reporter

What is going to happen?
    That the US sub-prime concern is going away?

Yes, you are right.
    The problem is there but the concern is going away.
    So no point bringing up this concern thingy since it is going away.

If the concern remain, property sales may remain weak. Now that it is going away, .....
    Quote Originally Posted by AP

Bank news and economic data boosts stocks to a big rally
    Joe Bel Bruno
    Business Writer
    Associated Press
    New York, New York, U.S.
    Tuesday, 1 April 2008, 7:31PM U.S. EDT

Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange April 1, 2008. U.S. stocks extended gains on Tuesday, lifting the benchmarks S&P 500 and the NASDAQ up more than 3% as Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.'s move to bolster its balance sheet calmed worries about the financial sector's stability. - Photo: Brendan McDermid, AP

Wall Street began the second quarter with a big rally Tuesday as investors rushed back into stocks, optimistic that the worst of the credit crisis has passed and that the economy is faring better than expected. The Dow Jones industrials surged nearly 400 points, and all the major indexes were up more than 3%.

Financial stocks were among the big winners after Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Switzerland's UBS AG issued new shares to help bolster their balance sheets. With that upbeat news and a fresh quarter ahead of them, investors appear quite willing to make some bets that the worst of the damage from the nation's credit struggles has been felt. Moreover, the banks' moves buttressed the view that financial services companies are taking aggressive action to improve their capital bases and stave off the potential of a collapse similar to Bear Stearns Cos.

Analysts believe there must be a recovery in bank and brokerages to lead major stock indexes higher. Some of the biggest financial players had their sharpest moves of the year Tuesday — Citigroup Inc. shot up 11%, JPMorgan Chase & Co. rose 9%, and Lehman surged 18%.

"Investors have a difficult time making decisions about the stock market if they don't have confidence in major financial institutions, so there's been a lot of sideline cash," said Richard Cripps, chief market strategist for Stifel Nicolaus. "The extreme conditions that we've seen here over the past few months has been missing that confidence ... but that appears to be changing, and we're seeing the response."

Meanwhile, Wall Street got another boost when the Institute for Supply Management said its March index of national manufacturing activity rose to a reading of 48.6 — indicating a contraction, but a slower one than in February and tamer than many analysts had predicted. Government data on construction spending for February also came in better than expected.

The Dow rose 391.47, or 3.19 percent, to 12,654.36. It marked the eighth-biggest point gain ever for the Dow, and the third time in two weeks it came close to or surpassed 400 points.

Broader stock indicators also gained sharply. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 47.48, or 3.59%, to 1,370.18 — the index's best start to a second quarter since 1938. And, the Nasdaq composite index rose 83.65, or 3.67%, to 2,362.75.

The advance was in contrast to a lackluster session on Monday, where stocks managed a moderate gain in the final session of a dismal first quarter. Major indexes ended the first three months of 2008 with massive losses, marking the worst period since the third quarter of 2002 when Wall Street was approaching the lowest point of a protracted bear market.

Renewed enthusiasm that the credit crisis might be waning was also felt in the Treasury market, where government securities fell as investors withdrew money to take bets on stocks. The 10-year Treasury note's yield, which moves opposite its price, rose to 3.55% from 3.43% late Monday. The yield edged up to 3.56% in after-hours trading.

In addition to hopes about the financial sector, Wall Street was relieved to see the feeble dollar regain some strength against the euro. The euro fell to $1.5596 from $1.5785 late Monday in New York.

And there was also optimism that commodities prices, which have hit historic highs in recent months, have begun to retreat. Crude fell 60 cents to settle at $100.98 on the New York Mercantile Exchange after earlier falling below $100. Meanwhile, gold dropped back below $900 an ounce.

"This is a nice way to begin the second quarter," said Todd Leone, managing director of equity trading at Cowen & Co. "All the financials are up big, and there's a sense that things are turning. We definitely have not seen the last of the credit crisis, but we're getting closer."

The stock rally was underpinned by the announcements from UBS and Lehman Brothers that they are boosting capital by issuing new stock. Shares of banks and brokerages hovered near multiyear lows in recent months as investors feared heavy losses from investments tied to subprime mortgages would be overwhelming.

Earlier this month, widespread concerns about Bear Stearns' financial position forced the investment bank to sell itself to JPMorgan in a deal engineered by the Federal Reserve — and that stoked fears that other investment houses might follow.

JPMorgan rose $4.05, or 9.4%, to $47; while Bear Stearns was up 36 cents, or 3.4%, to $10.85 — slightly above the $10 per share acquisition price.

UBS, one of Europe's biggest banks, said it will issue up to $15 billion in new stock and that its chairman, Marcel Ospel, had quit. Investors chose to look past the bank's announcement that it will take a fresh $19 billion write-down due to additional declines in the value of its mortgage assets and other credit instruments, following an $18 billion write-down last year. Its shares surged $4.21, or 14.6%, to $33.01 in trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Lehman Brothers, dogged by speculation it might reveal losses big enough to cripple the company, on Tuesday raised $4 billion of capital to stymie questions about its financial stability. Lehman rose $6.70, or 17.8%, to $44.34.

The Russell 2000 index of smaller companies rose 22.68, or 3.30%, to 710.65.

Advancing issues outnumbered decliners by about 4 to 1 on the New York Stock Exchange, where consolidated volume came to a heavy 4.65 billion shares, compared to 4.02 billion on Monday.

In overseas trade, Tokyo's Nikkei closed up 1.04%. There were gains in Europe too, with London's FTSE rising 2.64%, Frankfurt's DAX gaining 2.84% and Paris' CAC 40 advancing 3.38%.

Unregistered Guest

What is going to happen?
    That the US sub-prime concern is going away?

Yes, you are right.
    The problem is there but the concern is going away.
    So no point bringing up this concern thingy since it is going away.

If the concern remain, property sales may remain weak. Now that it is going away, .....
    Yes you are right. The concern is indeed going away.

Notice that yesterday UBS announced another USD 19 billion of further writedowns and instead of plunging down, the Dow Jones index shot up 319.47 points (3.19%), with UBS rising 12.26%.

In the past, such news would have sent the market plunging and then Bernanke would have to step in again.

Now looks like the bears (and sour grapes) are getting pretty scared.

Previously, they would gleefully look forward to the news of yet another bank or financial institution writing down another few billions here and there.

Some sour grapes even like to cut and paste such news in this forum but today I don't see any "UBS Writes Down Another USD 19 Billion".

So it's my turn to cut and paste, but don't worry I'll just paste one paragraph and not flood up the whole forum, unlike what they do ...

UBS was the market's top performer, surging 3.54 francs or 12.26 percent to 32.4, after it announced fresh writedowns of over $19 billion, which will result in a first quarter net loss of 12 billion francs.

Unregistered Guest

The last two times property market caught fire in Singapore, it ended up burning everyone with extreme crashes.
    Once it was the Asian Financial Crisis. Other time was SARS.

This time you have the global financial crisis. Last time Ringgit being devalued caused such a problem in the region. This time the US$ is going down and we have a food shortage. I feel that this time its going to be much worse and the effects will be just as bad. OK so the IR and F1 are coming, but if high-rollers have lost their money, who is going to come and spend here on those items.

Also consider the price of properties in relation to people's incomes. A million dollars is a million dollars. Very few countries in the world can afford house prices at that level. Do Singaporeans have enough per capita income to support these prices?
    Majority, I believe, yes. But do we have to guarantee every body that every one of them will hv a house their own.

This nation is going thru a major transformation. The targeted increase of population from 4.5 million to 6.5 million itself has indicated a very ambitious plan. I believe 100% home ownership will be soon be a thing of the past. No nation can and have to achieve that.

Unregistered Guest

Majority, I believe, yes. But do we have to guarantee every body that every one of them will hv a house their own.

This nation is going thru a major transformation. The targeted increase of population from 4.5 million to 6.5 million itself has indicated a very ambitious plan. I believe 100% home ownership will be soon be a thing of the past. No nation can and have to achieve that.
    The 1st thing to do, is to transfrom u from a moron to a hunman.

Unregistered Guest

Yes you are right. The concern is indeed going away.

Notice that yesterday UBS announced another USD 19 billion of further writedowns and instead of plunging down, the Dow Jones index shot up 319.47 points (3.19%), with UBS rising 12.26%.

In the past, such news would have sent the market plunging and then Bernanke would have to step in again.

Now looks like the bears (and sour grapes) are getting pretty scared.

Previously, they would gleefully look forward to the news of yet another bank or financial institution writing down another few billions here and there.

Some sour grapes even like to cut and paste such news in this forum but today I don't see any "UBS Writes Down Another USD 19 Billion".

So it's my turn to cut and paste, but don't worry I'll just paste one paragraph and not flood up the whole forum, unlike what they do ...

both MM & MBT said the slowdown in spore property market due to US subprime & credit issue.
    Now the concern have go away, banks has recovered from their bottom, the impact from these problem should also go away in spore in time to come.
    So get ready for the next surge in property price to come, let developers trigger the buying spree. The crowd will be back in no time.
    Those want to wait, continue to wait till cow comes back.

Unregistered Guest

both MM & MBT said the slowdown in spore property market due to US subprime & credit issue.
    Now the concern have go away, banks has recovered from their bottom, the impact from these problem should also go away in spore in time to come.
    So get ready for the next surge in property price to come, let developers trigger the buying spree. The crowd will be back in no time.
    Those want to wait, continue to wait till cow comes back.
    Probably you never heard of a dead cat bounce.
    You have no brains to guage for yourself and want others to spoon feed you. Moron. Go buy into this bounce and then lick your wounds.

Unregistered Guest

Probably you never heard of a dead cat bounce.
    You have no brains to guage for yourself and want others to spoon feed you. Moron. Go buy into this bounce and then lick your wounds.
    Dead cat bounce?
    Which cat is dead? You, the moron cat, are dead?

You may be dead but the market is surging from this point onwards.