Thread: Your Letters: A reply to Catherine

Default Your Letters: A reply to Catherine

Your Letters

Your Letters: A reply to Catherine

Posted by The Editor on June 9, 2014 at 10:54 am
    Note: The views expressed in this article are the writer's own and do not represent any organisation, the editorial team and/or the editor.

The letter below has been submitted by “John Woo”

Catherine is a noted writer of many fictional articles. She writes beautiful pieces of drama and I must say I enjoy her latest “open letter” in just the same way I had her little stories.

I would like to start this letter by assuring you, Catherine – that we are not in the midst of a crisis where “people no longer trust their government and the government no longer cares about regaining their trust”.

If you want an example of misplace of trust, look no further than our neighbouring countries. Look at Thailand. That my dear friend, is a case of where people no longer trust their government.

What you’ve described in your article, really are the workings of any normal, healthy democracy. Can you imagine a country where people are absolutely sugar-sweet happy, without troubles? Just like you, there will always be a segment of people who disagrees with the government. In the 1960s, the people from Barisan Sosialis and its supporters also distrusted then PM Lee Kuan Yew and his team. You tell me, in hindsight, where this has taken us?

With the amount of reserves Singapore has, this government could have easily spent its way to electoral success – look at true pork barrel politics of oil rich nations. But have we? And did we? Could you even say with a straight face that GIC has mismanaged national reserves?

As a case in point, let’s look at the recent CPF uproar. The government could have easily allowed the people to withdraw their CPF at 55 in order to pacify them. But did it? It didn’t. And it would not have been responsible of them if they did. Research has proven that individuals could not manage windfalls and end up worse-off than if they did not receive the money.

Yes, there were some incidents of graffiti cases, one of them on the rooftop of Blk 85 Toa Payoh, a first in Singapore. There were also many strong online criticisms. The number of protests at Hong Lim Park too has also gone up. And there is public sympathy for Roy Ngerng.

Don’t you think it is normal? Don’t you think it would be weird that a healthy democracy does not see expressions such as the above? To conclude that “Singaporeans no longer trust the government” based on the above is a naive conclusion. But i’m sure a learned Doctor such as yourself is not as naive… you’re a wordsmith and a skilled writer, I’m certain you meant it to do whatever you meant it to do.

Yes, Roy did receive about $80,000 – of which you attributed to a “public outpouring of sympathy”. If he was not able to raise this money, either legally or denied outreach – then we have a huge problem.

Oh by the way, the President’s Charity of 2013 netted $5million. That is what I call public outpour.

Yours Sincerely,
    John Woo
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Your Letters

Your Letters: A reply to Catherine

Posted by The Editor on June 9, 2014 at 10:54 am
    Note: The views expressed in this article are the writer's own and do not represent any organisation, the editorial team and/or the editor.

The letter below has been submitted by “John Woo”

Catherine is a noted writer of many fictional articles. She writes beautiful pieces of drama and I must say I enjoy her latest “open letter” in just the same way I had her little stories.

I would like to start this letter by assuring you, Catherine – that we are not in the midst of a crisis where “people no longer trust their government and the government no longer cares about regaining their trust”.

If you want an example of misplace of trust, look no further than our neighbouring countries. Look at Thailand. That my dear friend, is a case of where people no longer trust their government.

What you’ve described in your article, really are the workings of any normal, healthy democracy. Can you imagine a country where people are absolutely sugar-sweet happy, without troubles? Just like you, there will always be a segment of people who disagrees with the government. In the 1960s, the people from Barisan Sosialis and its supporters also distrusted then PM Lee Kuan Yew and his team. You tell me, in hindsight, where this has taken us?

With the amount of reserves Singapore has, this government could have easily spent its way to electoral success – look at true pork barrel politics of oil rich nations. But have we? And did we? Could you even say with a straight face that GIC has mismanaged national reserves?

As a case in point, let’s look at the recent CPF uproar. The government could have easily allowed the people to withdraw their CPF at 55 in order to pacify them. But did it? It didn’t. And it would not have been responsible of them if they did. Research has proven that individuals could not manage windfalls and end up worse-off than if they did not receive the money.

Yes, there were some incidents of graffiti cases, one of them on the rooftop of Blk 85 Toa Payoh, a first in Singapore. There were also many strong online criticisms. The number of protests at Hong Lim Park too has also gone up. And there is public sympathy for Roy Ngerng.

Don’t you think it is normal? Don’t you think it would be weird that a healthy democracy does not see expressions such as the above? To conclude that “Singaporeans no longer trust the government” based on the above is a naive conclusion. But i’m sure a learned Doctor such as yourself is not as naive… you’re a wordsmith and a skilled writer, I’m certain you meant it to do whatever you meant it to do.

Yes, Roy did receive about $80,000 – of which you attributed to a “public outpouring of sympathy”. If he was not able to raise this money, either legally or denied outreach – then we have a huge problem.

Oh by the way, the President’s Charity of 2013 netted $5million. That is what I call public outpour.

Yours Sincerely,

John Woo

It's easy for a wordsmith like Dr. Catherine Lim to make periodic criticisms about our government without providing practical solutions to our country's contentious issues.

Sure, our government has made mistakes but can our opposition parties do a better job? There is no perfect spouse, family, friend and least of all, a perfect government - let's count our blessings!

Thank you, just my two cents worth of thought.

interesting for john woo to plant in the reader's mind that her open letter is like her fictional stories.

what situation is John Woo referring to in thailand? The coup or the street protests? is john woo implying there will be a coup led by PAP generals if people no longer trust the government?

the reserves/CPF money is like a Schrodinger's cat. John Woo does not proof that said funds exist nor does the nay sayer have any proof that said funds does not exist.

"individual could not manage windfall" is perhaps taking advantage of the news of a certain woman who lost $1mio in a year. "lucky break" for him, that the news appear.

the compare and contrast of $80k vs $5mio is a an attempt to downgrade the support for Roy.

john woo is pro-establishment.
    i do think catherine is pro-establishment. she is sounding the warning bells to the PAP govt. but ball carriers like john woo is trying to ensure only good news reach the leaders' ears.

some always see glass half full some always see glass half empty.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

the news is timely appeared ....

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    interesting for john woo to plant in the reader's mind that her open letter is like her fictional stories.

what situation is John Woo referring to in thailand? The coup or the street protests? is john woo implying there will be a coup led by PAP generals if people no longer trust the government?

the reserves/CPF money is like a Schrodinger's cat. John Woo does not proof that said funds exist nor does the nay sayer have any proof that said funds does not exist.

"individual could not manage windfall" is perhaps taking advantage of the news of a certain woman who lost $1mio in a year. "lucky break" for him, that the news appear.

the compare and contrast of $80k vs $5mio is a an attempt to downgrade the support for Roy.

john woo is pro-establishment.
    i do think catherine is pro-establishment. she is sounding the warning bells to the PAP govt. but ball carriers like john woo is trying to ensure only good news reach the leaders' ears.

eloquently true.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    president star charity out of 5m, corportions donated the majority.. public probably donated ard 1mil.

shd use the example of the indian lady in the recent news -- estimate 800K of donations.

800k vs 80k.....
    Ong lai ah!

Quote Originally Posted by wt_know View Post
    the news is timely appeared ....
    To downgrade Singaporean ?

Message I received from this news is

You WILL be ended worst than this lady if fight for the withdrawal of CPF

Not a PAP fan, but I disagree that John is a "ball carrier" just because he chose to speak "positively".

As for PAP generals leading a coup - very very minimal chance of that happening - generals are "retired young" in Singapore, unlike those in Thailand and most surrounding countries.

Ppl shld realise that SAF, SPF and all civil services work for the people of Singapore and the Singapore Government that is elected. It comprised of WP too. They do not work for the PAP for God's sake.

Globally, we are like in major long-term bear market phase with the occasional short-term bulls. USA resorts to printing money to steal from creditor-nations, avoid a debt crisis & deflation crisis - such market-distorting policies encourages banks, institutions & individuals to park their monies in risky assets for growth (to beat inflation). China is potentially facing a shadow-banking bubble, property bubble, bad debt bubble that may spiral out of control - if this does happen, it is going to be disastrous for Asia.
    Given the complex global situation we are facing, do majority Singaporeans really know how to manage their retirement monies well enough to last them a lifetime, if they are allowed to withdraw all CPF funds at age 55? I won't be surprise at all if many retirees end losing their nest eggs if a financial disaster the scale of Lehman Bros crisis or much worse occur.

Yet I see so many idiots at Yahoo forums clamouring for CPF monies to be returned to them at age 55, saying they know how to manage their own monies. What utter stupidity! If PAP caves in their demand, it is going to exact a huge social cost to future generations, who have to face dwindling reserves, increased GST & income tax - because the present generation of retirees spent up their CPF before they die & end up needing state-support.

Given the serious inflation problem we are facing globally (with no end in sight), there is little choice for the small time investor but to take risks. Big time investor like Warren Buffet buy railways, farmlands, mines etc - hard assets that will withstand major financial storms, because these assets produce essential goods & services. For small time investors investing in stocks, unit trusts, properties - they may be screwed big time when the next financial tsunami hits.

I unfortunately fall into the category of a small time investor. Out of the many bad alternatives, I consider CPF Life a safety net (albeit not a 100% fool-proof one), just in case I get screwed up with my other investments in a financial crisis.

Bank deposits isn't risk-free, CPF savings isn't risk-free, they are more accurately speaking "very low risk". Risk-free = put your monies under your mattress. The higher the returns, the higher the risks. The bunch of pple who kpkb for higher CPF interest probably haven't thought through the consequences of aiming for higher returns, specifically what sort of investments will fetch those desired higher returns & who will bear the responsibility in the event of a loss - i.e. CPF monies lost.

Long Term Bear market ?

Low of 666.79point on the S&P 500 in 2009 to last new time high of 1955.55 last night

What happen if it is a Bull market ?

S&P at 5000 ?

If you lose money during this period then it is better for you to leave your money in CPF

Default Think about it, before you routinely complain.

what is bad about singapore ?

1. ultra low income tax ?

We are the 2nd lowest country in East Asia, in terms of income tax.
    The lowest in the region, being Hong Kong.

2. lack of portable water from the tap ?

I guess most of us have traveled and can say that we live in the comfort of having pouring drinkable water at the turn of the tap.

This is not to include many countries which can't ensure a steady water supply system, chiefly because it has a poor infrastructure, as the state government doesn't care.

3. regular breakdown of electricity ?

Again, the same applies, have you been to countries where electricity is not stable and generally, it's a miracle not to be electrocuted due to it's overhanging cables?

4. poor sanitation ?

Something that we don't face here in singapore. Not very far away from us, Taiwan, does not have the same luxury to say the same about it's lousy sanitation system, as everything there is cut-corners till something collapse or equivalent.

5. non-existant public transport ?

For people who complain about our public transport, buses, MRT, ninja cabs, yes, I agree it can be tighter in timing, etc.

But for the amount of money we pay for the public transport, MRT & buses, I am not complaining.

Afterall, we do not wait an hour for a bus generally speaking.

BUT

do you have a mindset that you want to depend on the government for a living ?

If so, then, maybe it's your mindset that needs a paradigm change.

I have no basic degree from the government funded university to speak of, neither did I continue to pursue it.

But I set up my business, and work relentlessly, refining my process every time I meet a setback / failure.

I were to fortunately later meet a business partner, from the west, where he commented on the state of low taxes and cheap living expenses that we have in Singapore, compared to where he is & where he comes from.

I don't have any rich parents to give me a sg$10,000 / month allowance, driving an entry Benz, because I am the only son.

But I am grateful that I am fortunate to be born in Singapore, righted by the generally good public policies of this city-state, which allowed me to be bilingual at 2 of the most populous language, namely, English & Mandarin.

With no warm contacts, no inherent connections, no boobs ( being a boy, who is no longer in his flamboyant 18s ), I have managed to exchange the most precious commodity for money, i.e. time.

That said, of course, I am aware that I do not have 7 younger sisters to support, because I have to pay for their dowries, etc.

What I am saying in this, it is not hard to succeed in Singapore, because we have generally a good public policy that watches over the society, because we are too small a nation to make a wrong move.

Yes, many-a-times, I find it stifling. My friends, most of them are dull, doing boring things like buying luxury items with barely a knowledge of art history to actually understand it's heritage, cause they purchased them for further financial investment / to show-off plainly. I do understand the constraint that we are after-all a heavily Confucian-influenced society, where we are bounded by duty rather the love to pursue because of a dream.

BUT that said, happiness is a state of mind. No one is stopping you from doing most of the things one desires, as long as they are within the legal constraints of the society that one lives in.

So yes, as a voter, I have voted probably twice, none of them has gone to the ruling party, because it is essential to have a form of internal control from an opposition party in the parliament, as per any wise company policy.

I read Roy Ngerng's articles, most of what he writes is flawed, he is a nurse without being able to educate himself on tax matters, sadly. He confuses CPF with taxes in his articles. I am myself a non-financial trained person, who has taken the painful effort to read into taxes, which allow me to appreciate the government's emphasis for change in line with public good. ( a very simple example, car-ownership is simply a luxury in our island-state, thus, a bidding system is set-up. Another simple example, tobacco and alcohol are substances that causes one to pay alot for their healthcare when they are older, thus heavy taxes are imposed on them. Yes, we live in a nanny-state, but this nanny is mostly correct in the decisions made, for public good )

One day, when people like Roy Ngerng, Tan Jee Say are voted into the government, where the first thing they do is to raid the government coffers, we are safely doomed.

& that's the day that we crawl back to Malaysia, because as a less than 725 square kilometres island, with more than 5 million inhabitants, without a government with good public policy and foresight, we would simply disintegrate to cannibalism.

When that day arrives, condo singapore is plainly irrelevant, because who wants to live on this island under Malaysia or Indonesia ?

Last edited by meow123; 10-06-14 at 14:49. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    Long Term Bear market ?

Low of 666.79point on the S&P 500 in 2009 to last new time high of 1955.55 last night

What happen if it is a Bull market ?

S&P at 5000 ?

If you lose money during this period then it is better for you to leave your money in CPF
    Growth spurred by US's zero-interest rate policy, China propping up its economy under Hu-Wen govt by pumping trillions into its economy, much of which went into bad infrastructure projects (eg. ghost cities, empty malls & apartments) that do not generate returns to the economy (there may jolly well be pay-back time down the road for these bad investments) - I don't see that as a genuine global growth story. it is a "questionable bull market", if I may put it this way, the bull market for risk-takers - yes you make money no doubt, but you need to be aware of the underlying risks.

Quote Originally Posted by riverfish View Post
    Growth spurred by US's zero-interest rate policy, China propping up its economy under Hu-Wen govt by pumping trillions into its economy, much of which went into bad infrastructure projects (eg. ghost cities, empty malls & apartments) that do not generate returns to the economy (there may jolly well be pay-back time down the road for these bad investments) - I don't see that as a genuine global growth story. it is a "questionable bull market", if I may put it this way, the bull market for risk-takers - yes you make money no doubt, but you need to be aware of the underlying risks.
    From someone who is away for the pass 8 years.

Every time I return home, I see growth. Growth in infrastructure above ground and below ground, Growth in people, the places get better.

If there is no growth in Singapore than I must be staying in a place where the time stand still.

The only problem I see is the growth of the CPF money is not directly proportional to the money printing, the building of the infrastructure, HDB and transportation, Health facilities not fast enough to the growth of the people.

Since 2011, a lot have change and lot of people is still impatient with the changes. We can choose to make this a better place for all or make it worst so that everyone is worst off.

The policies taken by both the government is working until it is broken which are of course showing signs of
    and the market like what they are seeing and took advantage of it = bull market

Until then there might be another set of policies to counter if the present one breaks down

So depends on where one perspective is
    If one think there will be no counter measure or remedies if present set of economy breaks down then we are all doomed
    but if one think there will be counter measure and new idea once the QE expired then we are not doomed

Until then nobody knows whether we will be doomed or not

So be cheerful
    Follow the trend and the flow of the market because Mr Market is always right

No point wasting brain cells thinking and worrying about whether tomorrow will be doomed or not

Cheers

The pasture is forever greener and better than the current.

Perhaps because I value peace, security and family above alot of the so called "betters" in other pastures, I personally do not want to become what the locals of that greener and better pasture will term me as a FT or 2nd or 3rd or no class citizen.

This is my country and the government is absolutely imperfect but that does not mean that i distrust them. Could things have been better? Of course! Everyone has an ass and an opinion of what is better. To me, the country is made of many....not just me, I and myself. Besides, what works for another country does not mean it will for ours because our resources, culture, people, religion etc etc are different. Even if there are similarities, we are still uniquely Singaporean and Singapore.

Does it mean we have no need to change? Change is always painful even if the result is good. But we must not rush into changes for the sake of wanting our ways or our ideas of what is good....for us. There are very few constructive people to build up this nation. They rather spend their time complaining and expecting change to come at someone else's expense.

Chairman Mao overthrew a dynasty with written words in a little red book spreading a communism fire. Egypt overthrew a dictator via the Internet and there are still civil unrest there. Thailand currently under military rule. Who suffers? These changes good for their countries?

Perhaps I enjoy the peace and security and 3 simple meals daily plus a roof over my small contented head. It is not better than Switzerland or some holy mountain but I am home with loved ones and when I travel, I know that they are safe and will meet me upon arrival at the airport. It'sppriceless. At least to simple me.

Just my personal thoughts and i am sorry that being no wordsmith or goldsmith nor having any decorated title, pardon any grammar or any England mistakes.

Cheers and have a clear conscience before all. It's a great way to have a peaceful sleep everytime.

Wat is the problem with other ppl raising their view's?
    The leader should see far beyond the commoner does, could be worrying if just waiting for things to happen, just like the MRT case.
    Looking at KPI is as good as waiting for something to happen, finding for a solution later could just be too late just like shortage of manpower n ageing issues, like a tsunami is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Psalms View Post
    The pasture is forever greener and better than the current.

Perhaps because I value peace, security and family above alot of the so called "betters" in other pastures, I personally do not want to become what the locals of that greener and better pasture will term me as a FT or 2nd or 3rd or no class citizen.

This is my country and the government is absolutely imperfect but that does not mean that i distrust them. Could things have been better? Of course! Everyone has an ass and an opinion of what is better. To me, the country is made of many....not just me, I and myself. Besides, what works for another country does not mean it will for ours because our resources, culture, people, religion etc etc are different. Even if there are similarities, we are still uniquely Singaporean and Singapore.

Does it mean we have no need to change? Change is always painful even if the result is good. But we must not rush into changes for the sake of wanting our ways or our ideas of what is good....for us. There are very few constructive people to build up this nation. They rather spend their time complaining and expecting change to come at someone else's expense.

Chairman Mao overthrew a dynasty with written words in a little red book spreading a communism fire. Egypt overthrew a dictator via the Internet and there are still civil unrest there. Thailand currently under military rule. Who suffers? These changes good for their countries?

Perhaps I enjoy the peace and security and 3 simple meals daily plus a roof over my small contented head. It is not better than Switzerland or some holy mountain but I am home with loved ones and when I travel, I know that they are safe and will meet me upon arrival at the airport. It'sppriceless. At least to simple me.

Just my personal thoughts and i am sorry that being no wordsmith or goldsmith nor having any decorated title, pardon any grammar or any England mistakes.

Cheers and have a clear conscience before all. It's a great way to have a peaceful sleep everytime.
    Same here

1 Peter 2:13~17
    and

Psalm 22:28
    Last edited by Simi; 10-06-14 at 20:17.

.....bunch of pple who kpkb for higher CPF interest probably haven't thought through the consequences of aiming for higher returns, specifically what sort of investments will fetch those desired higher returns & who will bear the responsibility in the event of a loss - i.e. CPF monies lost.
    who will bear responsibility in event MAS, GIC lose money?
    CPF invest in bonds by MAS. MAS give money to only GIC. GIC lose money. how MAS pay back to CPF?

Quote Originally Posted by meow123 View Post
    One day, when people like Roy Ngerng, Tan Jee Say are voted into the government, where the first thing they do is to raid the government coffers, we are safely doomed.

& that's the day that we crawl back to Malaysia, because as a less than 725 square kilometres island, with more than 5 million inhabitants, without a government with good public policy and foresight, we would simply disintegrate to cannibalism.

When that day arrives, condo singapore is plainly irrelevant, because who wants to live on this island under Malaysia or Indonesia ?
    thank you for your reassurance, yippeee, we are safely doomed instead of unsafely doomed. actually what is safely doomed har?

wah, are you by any chance a professional fear-monger or still undergoing training as a fear-monger?
    seems like quite a number of singaporeans living in Johor Bahru, they dont seem to mind living under Malaysia. and it seems like singaporeans are the biggest property buyers in Malaysia.

and so 5million inhabitants in 725 sqkm is ok under PAP government, but 5million inhabitants in 725 sqkm becomes severely overcrowded under non-PAP government, and then it becomes lord of the flies situation?

please report back for further training to improve your qualifications as a fear-monger. dont worry, govt have WIS scheme.

"when people like Roy Ngerng, Tan Jee Say are voted into the government", if you dont mind, can share where will you migrate to? or will you also crawl back to Malaysia?

Quote Originally Posted by rymccondo77 View Post
    Not a PAP fan, but I disagree that John is a "ball carrier" just because he chose to speak "positively".

As for PAP generals leading a coup - very very minimal chance of that happening - generals are "retired young" in Singapore, unlike those in Thailand and most surrounding countries.
    the military in thailand launch a coup to protect the bangkok elites and royalty.

so i dont know what thing this john woo is referring to by mentioning thailand, when people no longer trust their government. does he mean if non-PAP goverment is elected, the PAP generals will launch a coup since the people no longer trust the PAP government.