Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: STOCKS THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Werther View Post
    Actually, i also bot into some O & G stock. Not doing well now. Since cannot buy pty now, go hoot stock... stock also down. Headache...
    We make mistakes to learn & gain experience. So this is part of investing journey. Human being has short memory. Mistakes tends to repeat again & again
    Make sure U record all you trades in the excel file & review you past investment every six months. FYI, you are better off than many as you only invest in
    blue chip. At least U will get dividend payout every year. Those who invest in non-blue chip & penny stock. Their losses can be >50%.

Actually, i also bot into some O & G stock. Not doing well now. Since cannot buy pty now, go hoot stock... stock also down. Headache...
    Just about 2 months back, I withdrew all funds from stocks to get ready to harvest property durians. Luckily... With stocks the volatility is to be factored in. Huge rise and fall is to be included in analysis, sometimes nothing much to do with the company also.

In the long run if blue chip can still be expected to gain with dividends and stock value.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post
    We make mistakes to learn & gain experience. So this is part of investing journey. Human being has short memory. Mistakes tends to repeat again & again
    Make sure U record all you trades in the excel file & review you past investment every six months. FYI, you are better off than many as you only invest in
    blue chip. At least U will get dividend payout every year. Those who invest in non-blue chip & penny stock. Their losses can be >50%.
    Bro cbsh

That's very true. some of my friend invested in penny and lose hundred of thousand by now.... sad.

One of my friends invested in Thai F & B also lost S$600k within half year and still cannot break the lease...It seems in Thailand do biz, cannot anyhow terminate lease..worse than Singapore. Here we can just fortfeit 2 months and if pte ltd, better still, limited liability. Now he everyday headache whether to continue to run the biz, no one eating there or run road...

[QUOTE=cbsh38584;509098]
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    I doubt those shareholders like number 3-6 really knows what they are really owning..........

Look at Noble straight bond price. It did not CRASH except for the Noble Perp bond
    Noble USD bond 4.85% due 8th Aug15 Price=99.6/100
    Noble USD bond 3.62% due 20th Mar18 Price=91.5/91.8
    Noble CNY bond 4% due 20th Jan 2016 Price = 98/99

Noble USD Perp bond 6% callable 24th Jun 2019. Price 70/72

That is why I prefer trading bond rather than stock. I only buy stock when there is
    extreme FEAR. Noble is one of the stock now trading with extreme FEAR in
    investors mind.

Last Friday, my heart tell me that Noble best buy on FEAR is FRIDAY b4 weekend.
    But the EXTREME FEAR in me prevent me from executing the trade at 0.45.
    So on Monday, I tell myself to buy & I bought Noble group on Monday @0.48 &
    have a CUT LOSS target @0.42. Friday closing price is @0.47
    Just Sold today (Tue) @0.535. Profit $3k. GREED KILLS. So got profit run.

I buy stock base on "EXTREME FEAR" analysis. But need to be patience for it to come.
    I have little interest in technical & Fundamental analysis I show no interest for all stock GURU
    recommendation & their tgt price. I did it for OLAM , YANLORD & Russian UNIT TRUST.

Bro Cbsh, Congrats! you are the best....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Noble is only suitable for trading, since going to be volatile with all the roller-coaster and "news" coming, good for traders.............
    Buy and hold investors better be careful of Noble (I don't feel good about it)..............

[QUOTE=cbsh38584;509130]

Last Friday, my heart tell me that Noble best buy on FEAR is FRIDAY b4 weekend.
    But the EXTREME FEAR in me prevent me from executing the trade at 0.45.
    So on Monday, I tell myself to buy & I bought Noble group on Monday @0.48 &
    have a CUT LOSS target @0.42. Friday closing price is @0.47
    Just Sold today (Tue) @0.535. Profit $3k. GREED KILLS. So got profit run.

I buy stock base on "EXTREME FEAR" analysis. But need to be patience for it to come.
    I have little interest in technical & Fundamental analysis I show no interest for all stock GURU
    recommendation & their tgt price. I did it for OLAM , YANLORD & Russian UNIT TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    Hi Money Talk...see you here..just drop you a note.

move out from Singapore market.
    buy into US
    reasons :

much more money there after all QE...
    US$ is strong against S$
    much better potential.
    Hello Laguna!*waves* Long time no chat and thanks for dropping by to say Hi.

I was trading in us shares many many years ago when the exchange rate was US$1=S$1.65. I was
    too lazy to read and didn't understand what I was buying. During the 2009 financial crisis, my holdings in Lehman Bros,
    Freddy Mae, Freedie Mac, Fed Home Mortgage Loan and maybe 1 or 2 more counters became zero value.
    I am still holding some us stocks but I've not traded in us shares since the financial crisis. I felt
    discouraged and lost all interest in the us market.

Sometimes, you should not buy 2 same sectors stocks. Kepcorp & SembCorp.
    If the oil rigs biz is not good & are in downturn.Both stocks also suffer.
    Diversification. One in oil rig & the other in bank or healthcare etc .
    Thanks for advice, cbsh38584, and what you say makes sense but I never really look at the sector. I have
    a basket of favourite stocks and whenever I have excess cash and think the price is right for me, I will just buy more.

My time horizon is very long term, hoping to pass the stocks to children and grandchildren. Hopefully, the companies
    or even our country, Spore, will still be around in another 40 to 50 years.

[QUOTE=teddybear;509132]Noble is only suitable for trading, since going to be volatile with all the roller-coaster and "news" coming, good for traders.............
    Buy and hold investors better be careful of Noble (I don't feel good about it)..............

My tgt was 0.58 (20%) but too emotional.Sold @0.535. A 10% profit.
    It closing price @0.60. Get the "FEAR" timing right. But final execution is
    not good.

On 27th of May, the bank launched a structure products on China life ins (HK$39) & HK AIA (HK$52).
    The coupon is 12% p.a & K.O is 100% & one year period.

The strike is very attractive @ 82% of HK39 (China life ins =HK$31.89) & 82% of HK$52 (HK AIA =HK$42.6).
    The coupon is 12% p.a & will pay daily if share price maintain between 100%< (China life =<$39/ AIA=<$52)
    & >82%(China life=>$31.89 & $ AIA=>42.61). Daily closing price.

If both >100% at the end of every observation mth, the contract will be K.O. Will get accrue int accumulated daily.
    If one of the stock <82%, no coupon will be paid until both stay >82% to <100%.
    Observation period (K.O) is every month.

BUT I REJECTED THIS STRUCTURE PRODUCT DURING THE BULL RUN IN MAY'15.
    Base on the price , I believe China life insurance is the weakest link & the stock will drop as it is at 5 yrs record high
    HK$39 since early 2010. Now China life ins price is @$28.70. So no coupon for this as one of the stock fall <82%.
    AIA HK price is very strong @HK$50.2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    12 months Daily Accrual Note (DAC) on following counters on 27th May 2015:
    Share counters: 2628 HK China Life & 1299 HK AIA Group

Strike: 82%
    Call: 100% on monthly fixing

Coupon: 12%pa payable mthly, pro-rated by the nos. of days both stocks closes at or above strike (i.e. for biz days on which the underlying closes > its strike level, no coupon is accrued). 1st month coupon is guaranteed

Worst case: Capital will be converted to the worst performing of the 2 underlying shares counters at strike price.

Risk: Capital loss if the underlying shares drop below strike price and full capital loss if the underlying shares goes to zero.

Min to tap: USD 100,000
    LTV : 60%
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 7th of July15, I ask my banker to price the same DAC structure product. To my surprise the term is the same.
    I ask some of his client to share the risk with me . But nobody dares to invest during the China stock mkt crisis.
    So I make a calculated risk to do it on my own at US$250k. LTV 60%. 1st mth coupon guarantee @US$2500.

Initial Fixing Level: HKD 30.8
    HKD 50.2689

Underlying: China Life Insurance Co Ltd - 2628.HK (2628 HK)
    AIA GROUP LTD - 1299.HK (1299 HK)

Trade Date: 07-Jul-2015
    Payment Date: 21-Jul-2015
    Fixing Date: 19-Jul-2016
    Maturity Date: 21-Jul-2016
    Tenor: 1-Year

Strike: 82.09%
    Knockout Type: Period End
    Knockout %: 100.00%
    Max Coupon %: 12.00%pa

Settlement Currency: USD
    Total Notional: 250,000
    Indicative LTV: 60.00%

Worst case: Capital will be converted to the worst performing of the 2 underlying shares counters at strike price.
    I felt compelled to comment on this. This product is selling you a put on the worst share. The "coupon" etc is negligible, the risk is the put getting exercised.

When stock price is high, a put is worth A LOT. much much more than the mere 12% p.a. "coupon".

similar products are flooding pb customers every day, for example on Apple.

dun ever buy this kind of put.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    I felt compelled to comment on this. This product is selling you a put on the worst share. The "coupon" etc is negligible, the risk is the put getting exercised.

When stock price is high, a put is worth A LOT. much much more than the mere 12% p.a. "coupon".

dun ever buy this kind of put.
    Thank for your input.
    When I buy structure products. I am very carefully on the stocks that the bank structure.
    If it is a real estate or mining or tech stocks or oil /gas, I will 100% avoid even though it
    is at 52 wks low. I also need to consider the level of spot price when they launch. If it at
    52 wks high for RED CHIP. I 100% will avoid & will wait for it to drop a lot more.

For insurance life ins. It is a RED CHIP stock & it also has dropped to the level I am comfortable
    with. The China government will also support the stock mkt to prevent confidence crisis. That is
    why I took the calculated risk to execute the trade. I maybe wrong.

But I believe those who do not have experience in investing structure products. The best is to
    avoid. The bank will structure in a such a way that it does not really benefit U a lot if U chose
    the timing & stocks wrongly.

The banker can benefits for all the structure products info avail in the market. With all the info avail
    to him. He should know himself whether that particular stock will drop. Some are very clearcut cases
    the way the bank structure that particular 52 wks high stock . He should start to get his relative/friends
    etc to use CFD to short.

Thank for your input.
    When I buy structure products. I am very carefully on the stocks that the bank structure.
    If it is a real estate or mining or tech stocks or oil /gas, I will 100% avoid even though it
    is at 52 wks low. I also need to consider the level of spot price when they launch. If it at
    52 wks high for RED CHIP. I 100% will avoid & will wait for it to drop a lot more.

For insurance life ins. It is a RED CHIP stock & it also has dropped to the level I am comfortable
    with. The China government will also support the stock mkt to prevent confidence crisis. That is

But I believe those who do not have experience in investing structure products. The best is to
    avoid. The bank will structure in a such a way that it does not really benefit U a lot if U chose

The banker can benefits for all the structure products info avail in the market. With all the info avail
    to him. He should know himself whether that particular stock will drop. Some are very clearcut cases
    the way the bank structure that particular 52 wks high stock . He should start to get his relative/friends
    etc to use CFD to short.

I hope my son with become a banker if he is qualified. So much info avail.

Thank for your input.

etc to use CFD to short.
    I dont believe in structured prodcuts. basically the bank is passing the risk to you while the gains are cap . So I its a bad deal. stick to less syntactic stuff.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Genting is another stock that make a lot of retail investors lose a lot of money.
    The dividend is only S$0.01.

But those of who bought the Genting Perp 5.125% (S$250k) bond in 2012 is in
    the money. Step up after 10 yrs is @6.125%. Bid/offer is 99/100.5. LTV is 50%.

The retail genting Perp 5.125% bond is trading @1.05% even after XD
    Not sure whether SRS acct can buy this genting perp .

Genting is another stock that make a lot of retail investors lose a lot of money.
    The dividend is only S$0.01.

But those of who bought the Genting Perp 5.125% (S$250k) bond in 2012 is in
    the money. Step up after 10 yrs is @6.125%. Bid/offer is 99/100.5. LTV is 50%.

The retail genting Perp 5.125% bond is trading @1.05% even after XD
    Not sure whether SRS acct can buy this genting perp .

It's a PREP not exactly a bond. Also have to notbalrye risk that a PREP can don't pay out dividend if it don't do well.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

dun ever buy this kind of put.[/QUOTE
    ]

I will not do a structure product like Apple as the stock is at all time high.
    It is only the ignorant investor (Apple fan) will just ignore the risk & go
    into this FCN or ELN on Apple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted in Mid Jun15 by a smart investor.

Apple Inc looks like the short of the decade. Here's why.

Tim cook has eaten up the easy pie left by Steve.

1. Making bigger screens for I phone.
    2. Going into china market.
    3. Issue bonds, etc and financial gimmicks, etc share buy back.

And we know Tim has no innovation up his sleeve. He can't even get the maps right. dun see

The trick is timing the short right
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be patience to invest.
    君子报仇,十年未晚. If U understand this Chinese proverb. U will be a successful investor.

When a investor want to be rich in investing stock, ten years is not long late to wait; one should bide one’s time and wait for the right opportunity to seek buy when there is blood in the street.

Investing in crisis time can be really rewarding and it will shortened your journey to Financial Freedom

Be patience to invest.
    君子报仇,十年未晚. If U understand this Chinese proverb. U will be a successful investor.

When a investor want to be rich in investing stock, ten years is not long late to wait; one should bide one’s time and wait for the right opportunity to seek buy when there is blood in the street.

Investing in crisis time can be really rewarding and it will shortened your journey to Financial Freedom
    Hi Cbsh

anything to look out for today?

Hi Cbsh

anything to look out for today?
    It is going to be volatile till Sept where the FED may hike rate.
    Hopefully, FED will not hike rate. If not, going to be bad for the mkt.

[QUOTE=teddybear;509132]Noble is only suitable for trading, since going to be volatile with all the roller-coaster and "news" coming, good for traders.............

=====================================================================================
    Holding to 600 lots at a paper loss of 120k now. Was able to cut losses earlier this tues at 30k plus k but I didnt. I will hold this defence
    against all the *+#%* shortist. All longist brothers, let's do this together!
    =====================================================================================

A true example of GREEDY retail investors betting on NOble & it turn out to be a very bad trade due to his weak EMOTIONAL trading
    behaviour. When he buys noble, his visualise in his brain the "PROFIT" he will make if it reach his target price. He may has see the risk but
    did not (Visualise) set a CUT LOSS target price if it is a bad trade. He will likely to hold Noble for a very long time. Worst of all, Noble may
    have to issue RIGHT share & it will suck more of his hard earn money in NOBLE. His losses may balloon >$120k.

If U want to trade speculative stock. There is a learning curve. U need to pay $$$ to lose 1st b4 U will be able to understand how this speculative
    stock is being manipulated & start to make $$$. Some of them may not able to learn as there is a saying " Human has short memory" or
    "old habit dies hard".

Eyeing some local bank stocks e.g.: Dbs, Ocbc & Uob.
    Investment timeline short to medium. Appx 3-5years.
    Is now good time pull the trigger?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eric3417 View Post
    Eyeing some local bank stocks e.g.: Dbs, Ocbc & Uob.
    Investment timeline short to medium. Appx 3-5years.
    Is now good time pull the trigger?

Thanks
    The bank research team recommends DBS & OCBC. Prefer entry price for DBS $18-18.50
    and OCBC $9-9.50. As I said early, I don't follow their recommendation. I prefer to wait very
    patiently for it to go lower. In the meantime, I stay invested in Bond (80%) with leveraging

I bought DBS @$17+ in 2007. During the 2008/09 crisis, it drops below $8. But I sold
    at $15+ with min losses (including dividend) after the crisis. Now it is @$19.00. If U have
    a holding power & able to ride through the volatility, the up/down with less emotional. U
    should be OK. It is only the price entry level which U are comfortable.

FYI, My friend's brother-in-law bought DBS at the peak @$28 in late 90s. So he is not
    making any money. But at least he did not lose BIG like those tech stock like Creative, Chart
    semi-con, Venture etc etc.

The bank research team recommends DBS & OCBC. Prefer entry price for DBS $18-18.50
    and OCBC $9-9.50. As I said early, I don't follow their recommendation. I prefer to wait very
    patiently for it to go lower. In the meantime, I stay invested in Bond (80%) with leveraging

I bought DBS @$17+ in 2007. During the 2008/09 crisis, it drops below $8. But I sold
    at $15+ with min losses (including dividend) after the crisis. Now it is @$19.00. If U have
    a holding power & able to ride through the volatility, the up/down with less emotional. U

FYI, My friend's brother-in-law bought DBS at the peak @$28 in late 90s. So he is not
    making any money. But at least he did not lose BIG like those tech stock like Creative, Chart

Appreciate your reply & insights,

Still monitoring. Window could be close.
    Looking to pull trigger soon.

Cheers!

Just bought one lot of ocbc at $9.58, dividend yield about 3.78%, always wanted a bank stock and regretted not listening to broker recommendation to buy when it was $6 plus....

A bomb has exploded close to a shrine in the centre of Thailand's capital, Bangkok, killing >19 people and injuring more than 120.

The speculators has been attacking Ringgit for the past few weeks. From USD=3.75 ringgit to now USD=4.11 Ringgit. Almost 10% drops due to weak oil price, weak palm oil price ,1 MDB saga , underperforming tourism growth etc.

Thailand economy will be in more trouble after the bombing incident .Now the speculators next currency to attack maybe THAILAND BAHT. If they whack THAILAND BAHT like what they did for Ringgit. It may be a CONTAGOUS affect & spread to other southeast asia countries like SG. So just be more careful when U buy stock now. Make sure U are able to ride through the up/down.

FYI,Our SG economies now is different from the 80s , 90s & early 2000s where Jobs are plentiful with less foreigner. Now 2015 & beyond is a totally different economy. Jobs are no more secured & our salary is unable to catch up with SG high inflation. Investing is also getting very complex with many manipulating in the forex, stock market, commodities etc. Look at Noble , Ezra , Ezion etc. Stock price at record low. Seem like SG stocks are so easy to short & make money.

For young & healthy ones. If U don't save for raining days (emergency fund), U will be in real financial trouble sooner or later.
    Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst

Great advice. Thanks very much CBSH38584!

A bomb has exploded close to a shrine in the centre of Thailand's capital, Bangkok, killing >19 people and injuring more than 120.

The speculators has been attacking Ringgit for the past few weeks. From USD=3.75 ringgit to now USD=4.11 Ringgit. Almost 10% drops due to weak oil price, weak palm oil price ,1 MDB saga , underperforming tourism growth etc.

Thailand economy will be in more trouble after the bombing incident .Now the speculators next currency to attack maybe THAILAND BAHT. If they whack THAILAND BAHT like what they did for Ringgit. It may be a CONTAGOUS affect & spread to other southeast asia countries like SG. So just be more careful when U buy stock now. Make sure U are able to ride through the up/down.

FYI,Our SG economies now is different from the 80s , 90s & early 2000s where Jobs are plentiful with less foreigner. Now 2015 & beyond is a totally different economy. Jobs are no more secured & our salary is unable to catch up with SG high inflation. Investing is also getting very complex with many manipulating in the forex, stock market, commodities etc. Look at Noble , Ezra , Ezion etc. Stock price at record low. Seem like SG stocks are so easy to short & make money.

For young & healthy ones. If U don't save for raining days (emergency fund), U will be in real financial trouble sooner or later.
    Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I see no reasons to buy shares in Singapore...
    1. S$ continues weakening
    2. Growth slows fast
    3. Population size getting "smaller"
    4. Most important...many places can make better money.

I believe there has been heavy outflow of funds out of Asia.

How about buying US shares?

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    How about buying US shares?
    US data always only show the positive side, more positive side, super positive side, super duper positive side, then slump. All the way slump. Then restart cycle. Never had a real chance anticipating the slump.

My opinions and experience only.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

SPH is still the king of stock in SG. Did not drop alot.
    Boring stock but safe & sound.
    Range bound between 4-4.30 for the past two yrs.