Thread: Review easier admission into affiliated secondary schools, JCs for fairer system

Default Review easier admission into affiliated secondary schools, JCs for fairer system

TODAY Paper Forum

Review easier admission into affiliated secondary schools, JCs for fairer system
    From Grace Yap
    I refer to this week’s Talking Point, “Unfair advantage for school alumni?” With the recent move to reserve admission places for children without connections to the primary school, the Government seems to be listening to the people and understand the need to bridge the social divide between the privileged few and most Singaporeans. Yet, the measure seems insignificant as long as the Government does not go further to make competition fairer at every level of the education system. The “discount” for entry into affiliated secondary schools and junior colleges must be reviewed. Pupils can enter an affiliated sec ondary school with a lower Primary School Leaving Examination score than those of other pupils. What is the logic in that? Four years later, the same pupil could get another “discount” from an affiliated junior college. Removing these “discounts” would make it a more just and equal platform for all, and send the right message to Singaporeans that hard work and meritocracy, not alumni networks, are cornerstones for building a democratic society. It would also serve as motivation for pupils who did not do well enough at PSLE to get into the secondary school of their choice. The coveted JC place would seem a reachable goal.

Unfair advantage for school alumni? Catch Talking Point ‘live’ on Channel NewsAsia, on Wednesday at 8pm.

What do you think?

most of the top schools, which i suspect the interviewee has in mind, are either autonomous or independent - MOE can't really dictate the admission rules.

e.g. look at ACS - when the kids aren't smart enough to get in, the parents just build a new school to house them

Actually there is no 'fairness' in life....reality is, network, guanxi, nepotisism....whatever you call it. It boils down to who you know whether in Singapore or Senegal. Hard work, intelligence helps....but relationship plays a part too.

Instead of trying to fight it, learn the rules of the game and decide for yourself whether to join in the game or create your own rules and game.

Haha... Well said, agree...

Nothing is fair in real life...

Even can go to the popular primary school doesn't equal to getting good PSLE, even getting good PSLE result doesn't mean getting good O Level result and good O Level result doesn't mean good A Level result.

Don't know what these parents fighting for. Better spend more time getting their kids prepare them getting better grades.
    Last edited by CondoInterested; 14-04-14 at 21:25.

i believe grades don't and should not determine your lot and outlook in life. though studies are important, i personally believe (and stand for) that it is better to inculcate an inquisitive mind and an appetite for learning, while being backed up by sound moral values. or else, we will all end up creating clever, but spoilt brats

case in point, i have a cousin, from malaysia, who is a smart kid. is he a prodigious talent? probably not, but definitely above average. his parents are both teachers and they take pride in drilling him well in his studies. got straight As at SPM and came to Singapore as an asean scholar (the typical nerd), graduated from NUS eventually. while looking good on paper qualifications, his personal life is a disaster : zero EQ, divorced shortly after getting married and most disappointingly, sort of disavowed his parents

do i want my kids to turn out like him? nope

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    i believe grades don't and should not determine your lot and outlook in life. though studies are important, i personally believe (and stand for) that it is better to inculcate an inquisitive mind and an appetite for learning, while being backed up by sound moral values. or else, we will all end up creating clever, but spoilt brats

case in point, i have a cousin, from malaysia, who is a smart kid. is he a prodigious talent? probably not, but definitely above average. his parents are both teachers and they take pride in drilling him well in his studies. got straight As at SPM and came to Singapore as an asean scholar (the typical nerd), graduated from NUS eventually. while looking good on paper qualifications, his personal life is a disaster : zero EQ, divorced shortly after getting married and most disappointingly, sort of disavowed his parents

do i want my kids to turn out like him? nope
    Many schools emphasize on developing good characters in the pupils but the parents screwed things up.

It's not just Singapore parents who like to complain. it's also happening in other countries as well. If the parents continue to complain/confront the teachers and school for every single punishment melted out on their children, whatever effort made by the school are not going to work.

Recently I watched a China program, the mother complained about the teacher when her child got punished. On the second occasion, his father decided to change school for the child.

The school is trying the best to educate the child but the parents don't believe in the school system. The child knew that he can do whatever he wanted in school because his parents will stood up for him regardless of what he did. He has no respect for the teacher, principal and the school system.

This is a typical example and the child continue to be a spoilt brat.
    Sounds familiar ?

If so, IP schools direct entry into JC without using O level results should also be abolish because that is even worst form of affiliation?

Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested View Post
    TODAY Paper Forum

Review easier admission into affiliated secondary schools, JCs for fairer system
    From Grace Yap
    I refer to this week’s Talking Point, “Unfair advantage for school alumni?” With the recent move to reserve admission places for children without connections to the primary school, the Government seems to be listening to the people and understand the need to bridge the social divide between the privileged few and most Singaporeans. Yet, the measure seems insignificant as long as the Government does not go further to make competition fairer at every level of the education system. The “discount” for entry into affiliated secondary schools and junior colleges must be reviewed. Pupils can enter an affiliated sec ondary school with a lower Primary School Leaving Examination score than those of other pupils. What is the logic in that? Four years later, the same pupil could get another “discount” from an affiliated junior college. Removing these “discounts” would make it a more just and equal platform for all, and send the right message to Singaporeans that hard work and meritocracy, not alumni networks, are cornerstones for building a democratic society. It would also serve as motivation for pupils who did not do well enough at PSLE to get into the secondary school of their choice. The coveted JC place would seem a reachable goal.

Unfair advantage for school alumni? Catch Talking Point ‘live’ on Channel NewsAsia, on Wednesday at 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by heehee View Post
    If so, IP schools direct entry into JC without using O level results should also be abolish because that is even worst form of affiliation?
    not entirely true. the students are evaluated in an ongoing process. not good enough, booted out of IP