Thread: Private apartment rents hit 27-month low

Default Private apartment rents hit 27-month low

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...h-low-20140410

Private apartment rents hit 27-month low

Published on Apr 10, 2014

By Melissa Tan

RENTS for private apartments fell to a 27-month low last month as landlords competed for tenants amid a flood of new homes on the market.

The fall came despite more leases being inked in March than in February, according to the Singapore Real Estate Exchange (SRX) yesterday.

More private homes also changed hands in March than in February, sending resale prices slightly higher.

However, consultants were quick to downplay the increase in prices and number of resales, saying that buyer sentiment remained weak.

Overall rents sank 0.9 per cent in March from February - folllowing a 0.9 per cent drop in February from the previous month - plumbing their lowest point since December 2011, the SRX said.

"Rental prices continue to decline with record supply," it said.

But it noted that an estimated 3,087 private homes were rented in March, up 27.8 per cent from the 2,416 leases signed in February.

The number of resales also rose, up 82.6 per cent from February to 451. This was the highest resale volume since last October but still 22.5 per cent lower than the 582 units resold in March last year.

The SRX said the transactions it compiles are recorded based on the contract date or option exercise date. This means it is less likely that the sharp rise was because deals struck in February - a shorter month - had their caveats lodged in March instead.

Resale prices also eked out a marginal 0.2 per cent increase last month after tumbling 3.1 per cent in February.

However, consultants said this did not signal a recovery in the beleaguered property market.

The resale price increase "mustn't be read as significantly improved buyers' sentiments for resale homes", said R'ST Research director Ong Kah Seng.

Nor can it be construed as heralding a resale price turnaround, he added. The fact that the prices only rose marginally while the number of deals shot up showed that most buyers were just looking to snap up bargains, he said.

The gains were led by homes in the city fringe, where prices rose 1.3 per cent, while those in the city centre were up 0.3 per cent. Suburban condominium resale prices softened 0.1 per cent.

"The increased completion of private housing is likely to continue to exert downward pressure on private home rents," said ERA Realty key executive officer Eugene Lim.

More than 17,000 private residential units are expected to be completed this year.

[email protected]

rental is indeed very soft. So those still holding out thinking their units are special and demand more rent.. its going to be a long wait this time round. Tenant have a lot of choices!
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    rental is indeed very soft. So those still holding out thinking their units are special and demand more rent.. its going to be a long wait this time round. Tenant have a lot of choices!
    Worry more for the OCR units.

This mentality always makes me scratch my head.

Rather than meeting the tenant halfway or the whole way in a soft market, keeping the unit empty for months on end waiting for someone to pay the full asking price.

Lost rental can easily exceed any "gain" from holding firm to your asking price.
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon - it knocks over the pieces, craps on the board and flies back to it's flock to claim victory.

Quote Originally Posted by EBD View Post

Rather than meeting the tenant halfway or the whole way in a soft market, keeping the unit empty for months on end waiting for someone to pay the full asking price.

Lost rental can easily exceed any "gain" from holding firm to your asking price.
    One of my tenants left last week, I am going to leave the place empty like I did many years ago, I don't need rental income anyway....
    A bottle of Lafite '82 for all my coffeeshop friends yesterday...many don't know what is it....haha...

Quote Originally Posted by EBD View Post

pride mah. some feel their unit are special so its worth more that other folks. or just plain dont need the $
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Last week some banks downgraded a few industrial/business park reits , citing "due to the new gov employment initiatives, employment pass holders earning 3000-6000 will be harder to get approval, this will result in many outsourcing supply chain, logistics, IT, service, etc firms moving operations out of Singapore, as these firms mainly employ foreigners in this segment"

This pool is also the same pool for tenants for OCR segment, which will see a big completion number this year and next. Rental will be very soft.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Last week some banks downgraded a few industrial/business park reits , citing "due to the new gov employment initiatives, employment pass holders earning 3000-6000 will be harder to get approval, this will result in many outsourcing supply chain, logistics, IT, service, etc firms moving operations out of Singapore, as these firms mainly employ foreigners in this segment"

This pool is also the same pool for tenants for OCR segment, which will see a big completion number this year and next. Rental will be very soft.

Good! The people gets what they asks for. Low growth!

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

No foreigners, low hdb price, no COV, lesser growth. This is what they want mah. Singaporeans should be overjoyed now.

Good! The people gets what they asks for. Low growth!

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    No foreigners, low hdb price, no COV, lesser growth. This is what they want mah. Singaporeans should be overjoyed now.

I bet so. but the usual goes. We are never happy and will complain abt this and look for people to blame again.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Be worse after more new development TOP mid-end of year.

Mainly in OCR? Flats in yishun near Khoo tech puat hospital already had problem to lease out now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
    Be worse after more new development TOP mid-end of year.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Singaporeans overjoyed? Guessed you are referring to the <10% of them who are complaining about high property prices?
    Let's see how many are overjoyed by GE-2016...........

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post

pride mah. some feel their unit are special so its worth more that other folks. or just plain dont need the $
    Can understand that to some extent - especially if you have had experience of lousy tennants who gut the place.

Guess I'm not arrived at the point where I don't care about non-working capital yet.
    Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon - it knocks over the pieces, craps on the board and flies back to it's flock to claim victory.