Thread: America won't go into decline

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default America won't go into decline

March 17, 2008

America won't go into decline

AMERICA is probably going through its most severe downturn since the dot.com bust in 2000. The downturn is mainly due to the sub-prime mortgage crisis and companies in the financial sector like Citigroup and Merrill Lynch have taken the bulk of the hit. Other sectors have not been spared either. This, coupled with rising oil prices and inflation, has made it difficult for the US Federal Reserve to react.

The road ahead for America looks tough and bumpy. The grim economic outlook, together with other unfavourable situations that America have found itself in, have prompted some analysts to predict that this may be the start of the decline of Pax Americana. I do not believe that Pax Americana is declining. I feel that, in time, it would reinvent and find ways to bring itself out of this flux and onto a new higher level, just like what it did when its competitiveness was being threatened by the Japanese in the 80s. But more than that, I do not wish to see the waning of America. This sentiment is not so much due to America's economic contributions as much as its generosity and dynamism.

In 'Statecraft: Strategies For A Changing World' by Mrs Margaret Thatcher, she wrote '...I always feel 10 years younger, despite the jet-lag, when I set foot on American soil: there is something so positive, generous and open about the people...' MM Lee Kuan Yew, in his 'Third World To First' biography, said the following about America, 'America's generosity of spirit grew out of an innate optimism that it could give and still have more to give'.

America's society is innovative and dynamic, one that is largely inclusive and allows for movement from within as shown by Mr Barack Obama, an African American leading the Democrat Presidential race and Citigroup, currently headed by Indian-born Vikram Pandit. Its society breeds hope, a strong sense that the future can and would be better in every sense. There is nothing more powerful than hope itself and nothing more devastating than the feeling of abject hopelessness.

I do not believe and wish that what we are witnessing today is the start of Pax Americana's decline. America's most valuable contributions to the world are not economic but its spirit and outlook.

Sun Wai Hoong

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: America won't go into decline

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    March 17, 2008

AMERICA is probably going through its most severe downturn since the dot.com bust in 2000. The downturn is mainly due to the sub-prime mortgage crisis and companies in the financial sector like Citigroup and Merrill Lynch have taken the bulk of the hit. Other sectors have not been spared either. This, coupled with rising oil prices and inflation, has made it difficult for the US Federal Reserve to react.

The road ahead for America looks tough and bumpy. The grim economic outlook, together with other unfavourable situations that America have found itself in, have prompted some analysts to predict that this may be the start of the decline of Pax Americana. I do not believe that Pax Americana is declining. I feel that, in time, it would reinvent and find ways to bring itself out of this flux and onto a new higher level, just like what it did when its competitiveness was being threatened by the Japanese in the 80s. But more than that, I do not wish to see the waning of America. This sentiment is not so much due to America's economic contributions as much as its generosity and dynamism.

In 'Statecraft: Strategies For A Changing World' by Mrs Margaret Thatcher, she wrote '...I always feel 10 years younger, despite the jet-lag, when I set foot on American soil: there is something so positive, generous and open about the people...' MM Lee Kuan Yew, in his 'Third World To First' biography, said the following about America, 'America's generosity of spirit grew out of an innate optimism that it could give and still have more to give'.

America's society is innovative and dynamic, one that is largely inclusive and allows for movement from within as shown by Mr Barack Obama, an African American leading the Democrat Presidential race and Citigroup, currently headed by Indian-born Vikram Pandit. Its society breeds hope, a strong sense that the future can and would be better in every sense. There is nothing more powerful than hope itself and nothing more devastating than the feeling of abject hopelessness.

I do not believe and wish that what we are witnessing today is the start of Pax Americana's decline. America's most valuable contributions to the world are not economic but its spirit and outlook.

Sun Wai Hoong
    What is he talking about? did he just came from mars?

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    March 17, 2008

Sun Wai Hoong

Amen.America has already declined.

Unregistered Guest

USA is a blessed nation leh

i sure a miracle will happpen

Unregistered Guest

Though I am not very much convinced by the statment, I like the optimism.

Modern economy is mostly all about market reaction; you think everyone is selling, you start selling because you fear whatever you are holding turn valueless.

If everyone start thinking like you, I am sure World Economy will crawl out from this mess faster than expected.

So cheers to that. : )