http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...medium=twitter

SINGAPORE: From June 1 this year, new party-wall residential developments will need to have a minimum plot size of 600 square metres.

The Urban Redevelopment Authority said this is to ensure the quality of the living environment.

Party-wall residential developments are built from wall to wall with no empty space in between.

Currently, developers do not have to adhere to a minimum plot size.

This has resulted in some developers buying plots as small as 150 square metres for residential use.

For example, there is no space for greenery or communal facilities apart from a mechanised car park on the ground floor of a development at Mackenzie Road.

Such smaller private condominiums are typically 999-year leasehold or freehold properties.

Chris International’s director, Chris Koh, feels that smaller developers will be most affected.

He elaborated: "It will be tougher now. In the past, you could just deal with only one owner on a private treaty, buy his piece of land and then… build. But now if… a minimum size (is required)… and I don't have that in that area, then my next option is to talk to several owners to collectively give me that kind of size."

- CNA/gn