http://propertysoul.com/2014/02/17/f...new-year-fair/

Finding great bargains in a Chinese New Year fair

February 17, 2014

We were in Hong Kong during Chinese New Year.

Four of us stayed in an hotel’s family room overlooking the Victoria Park. The Victoria Park Lunar New Year Fair was just across the road. We decided to pay a visit the next morning.

The first visit

It was the largest flower market in Hong Kong, with 475 stalls occupying six soccer fields.

Besides three rows of festive flower stalls, there were five rows of stalls selling Chinese New Year goodies and decorations, horse-themed souvenirs, and toys for all ages. We were overwhelmed by the varieties.

But everything looked pricey: A pot of narcissus, tangerines or peach blossoms would ask between $388 and $888. A toy or decoration could easily price between $38 and a few hundred dollars. Even a stalk of flower was selling at $28.

The eight-year-old was undecided what to buy. While food, accommodation and transportation were provided, only $100 (S$16) could be spent in this trip. Kids are very cautious if they know that they are spending their own money.

The two-year-old was pushed around in a stroller. Unable to see anything ‘at her level’, she soon got bored of ‘watching legs’ and dozed off.

An hour later the place became overcrowded and unbearably hot. We had to leave without buying anything. But I promised to come back and buy the kids something when there were less people.

We didn’t manage to go again. From afternoon to post-midnight, people were packed like sardines from the exit of the train station to the entrance of the fair. The locals like to visit the flower market on Chinese New Year eve to bring good fortune for the whole year.

The second visit

Knowing that the fair would close at 6 a.m. the following day, I sneaked out of the hotel before six with the stroller of the two-year-old.

There were still a lot of people and few good deals. After going one big round, I bought a dog-shaped foil balloon for $5 (S$0.8).

Gradually, the visitors left, leaving only locals who stayed in the neighborhood and the elderly coming to the park for morning exercise.

An hour passed. The sun began to rise. Stall owners started packing.

Suddenly, a flower stall owner shouted, “Selling at daybreak price! Tangerines and peach blossoms $100 only. Pick any three stalks of flowers for $10.”

How could anyone resist it when prices dropped from $388 to $100, and from $28 to $3.3?

More and more stalls followed suit. Afterall, owners were burned-out after working day and night for seven straight days. They wanted to get rid of their stock, pack light and go back to rest.

A white narcissus stall began to clear all pots of flowers at $50 (S$8). The exhausted owner sat at the corner and murmured, “Take any pot for $50. Self-service here.”

I picked a big antique-like pot with beautiful narcissus. A stall nearby was selling orchids at $100 (S$16) for three pots. Two ladies asked me to get one too so that three of us could enjoy the bargain. I obliged to buy one for $33 (S$5.5).

Another stall had small pots of flowers letting go at $10 for two (S$0.8 each). I chose two pots of violet, one purple and one yellow. I also bought a handheld windmill with adorable yellow ducks at $10 (S$1.6) that could be dismantled to bring back home.

Customers were exhilarated with the rock-bottom prices but were at a loss how to carry the bulky plants home. Stalls had run out of plastic bags. People smiled at me as I placed merchandises into a stroller with no baby there.

Someone with a big bunch of helium balloons near shouted, “Ten dollars! Tell dollars for all!”

Many were moved by the ridiculous price but their hands were tied with flowers and plants. And how could they go home by bus, train or taxi carrying so many helium balloons?

I went up to the seller and handed him a ten-dollar note. Relieved that he could finally dispose the left-overs, he immediately tied the balloons to my stroller. Thinking that I probably had a baby, he gave me another horse-shaped foil balloon for free.

Sharing the joy

Returning to the hotel, I woke everyone up to show them my purchases.

Hubby was shocked to see a full stroller of stuff for only S$19 (remember I also built my property portfolio with a tight budget using similar tactics!).

The kids were crazy about the 18 balloons in different cartoon characters floating all over the ceiling, with ribbons hanging down just long enough to reach their little hands.

The next evening we had Hong Kong relatives joining us in our room to watch the Victoria Harbour fireworks display. Their kids were happy to take home most of the balloons. We also gave away all the flowers when visiting friends and relatives in Hong Kong.

The real bargain-hunter

I forgot to mention what I saw later that morning after the fair closed.

In a quiet street, a man was loading into his car peach blossom trees from the trolley of a nearby supermarket. The flowers still looked marketable but were discarded by the stall owners to avoid costly transportation and storage fees. He picked them up for free before the cleaners came to clear the trash.

This ultimate bargain-hunter basically paid nothing for festive flowers that were originally sold for hundreds of dollars!