Thread: Make room for those passionate about patients or children

Default Make room for those passionate about patients or children

http://www.todayonline.com/voices/ma...ts-or-children

It is that time of the year when students who have received their results apply to the polytechnics, junior colleges or universities.
    I work with young people of this age group. Each year, among those who are passionate about becoming doctors or early childhood educators, many are disappointed when the placings are announced.
    They understand that there are quotas for the National University of Singapore’s medical school and Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s course in early childhood education.
    What disappoints them more is finding out later on that friends who accepted these places did not really want to be doctors, but went for it because of family pressure or expectations, or did not like children that much.
    It pains me to see those who genuinely love children, or wanted to be doctors, being unable to realise their aspirations because of others who were offered these places but are not passionate about patients or children.
    The world suffers from a lack of caring doctors and preschool teachers. Who wants to be treated by a doctor who does not really care for his patients? Who wants to send their young children to a teacher who will not love them?
    Since we know that a percentage of students will not complete the journey in medicine or early childhood education, why not factor this into the intake quotas?
    I, for one, would have peace of mind if my young children were in the care of teachers who really love them, and would be less stressed when my loved ones are hospitalised if the doctors really care.

I presume all those applying for medical school will profess to wanting to cure sick people, etc etc. Who would admit to applying due to family pressure. It is for the interviewers to sift out those who are really genuine. But it is not an easy task. I see a reassuring trend lately that there are candidates with 3As getting in so there may be some hope for the selection process yet.