Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

DrMinority Guest

Default Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

[Pity about the loss of months of postings..]

Resident's questions to prospective sales committee lead to...
    SHOUTS & JEERS
    TEMPERS FLARE AT BAYSHORE PARK EN-BLOC SALES MEETING
    WHILE the lush greenery, tinkling fountains and gurgling streams of Bayshore Park evoke a sense of serenity, it is anything but serene at the condominium right now.
    By Special Correspondent
    The New Paper
    12 March 2008

WHILE the lush greenery, tinkling fountains and gurgling streams of Bayshore Park evoke a sense of serenity, it is anything but serene at the condominium right now.

Feelings have been running high over moves to put the estate up for an en-bloc sale.

Some are upset that they may be forced to sell their beloved homes.

Others are frustrated that they may be forced to keep their maturing properties and be thwarted from an investment opportunity.

One recent meeting saw residents arguing, jeering and heckling.

Under a white tent put up on the estate grounds, some 500 residents gathered on a Saturday afternoon for their third en-bloc sale meeting in five months.

STRONG FEELINGS

As with most condo en-bloc sales, the 1,000-plus Bayshore Park residents are split into two strong camps - for and against.

The campaign has gone on the Internet too.

One website, called Bayshore Park Lifestyle, talks about all good things and benefits of the 22-year-old estate and urges residents to 'say no to en-bloc'.

Meanwhile, it seems someone has written to the authorities, alleging fraud over how the signatures were obtained to requisition the most recent extraordinary general meeting.

It was against this backdrop that the meeting, facilitated by a panel comprising Mr Chan Kok Hong, a managing agent, management committee chairman Richard Soh and lawyer Loo Choon Hiaw, was held, on 23 Feb.

As residents registered, they were each given a booklet of voting slips.

Printed on those slips were their unit numbers and share values, and boxes for them to vote for those they want on the sales committee.

From the outset, there were concerns over the meeting's agenda.

Mr Chan said the meeting was requested on the basis of electing a sales committee.

A resident stood up to ask if a vote should be carried out on whether or not everyone wants an en-bloc in the first place, but MrLoo said this apparently was not necessary.

One resident wanted an assurance that the votes would be kept confidential.

Mr Chan assured him that the slips would be kept 'in a safe place', not to be opened again.

Under the law, any resident, whether for or against the en-bloc sale, can be in the sales committee.

OPPOSED TO OPPOSITION

Someone then said it 'does not make sense' to vote an anti-en-bloc person to the sales committee as that person could put up road blocks.

Another said that if such a person wanted to be in the committee, he would have to be in it for a check-and-balance role. There was clapping and cheering at this.

The candidates started introducing themselves one by one.

Most of those who were for the sale said they just wanted to find the best price for the estate.

Another said that having sat on the management committee, he knows that maintenance of the estate would get increasingly more expensive.

The candidates included an architect, a retiree and two realestate agents.

An anti-en-bloc nominee said he wanted to be on the committee so that he would know what was happening.

An elderly Englishman, a long-time resident of Bayshore, then asked for permission to ask the candidates some questions.

He was allowed to so so, but was told the candidates were not obliged to respond.

His questions to them included: Have you been a resident for a long time? Have you previous experience in an en-bloc sale? What reserve price do you expect? Are you in arrears of maintenance fees?

The jeering and heckling began.

At one point, some residents surrounded him and kept asking him to stop.

A resident shouted: 'He has absolutely no respect. These questions are not relevant.'

Agitated residents were seen waving their arms in the air.

The man remained composed, and Mr Chan had to step in, saying: 'Please, please, please. We need to keep this meeting in order.'

Asked one resident: 'How can he question them like that?'

Another said: 'He can't go around asking them a hundred questions.'

To which the man responded: 'Dear young lady, I have not asked a hundred questions. They are not ridiculous questions, they are important questions.'

Mr Soh then said: 'We should allow reasonable questions. If we don't have order, I may be forced to stop this meeting.'

Some of the nominees answered the man, others did not.

In the end, only the 14 pro-en-bloc residents were voted into the sales committee.

But with an estate as large and diverse as Bayshore Park, it is likely that this committee will have an uphill task ahead

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

Overheard in the lift: In our country, we live with Muggers in low-class
    residential areas. Over here, the people live with
    Enbloc Muggers in high end residential areas. Houses
    are mugged in broad daylight. Its all new to us.
    Those poor souls can't even do a thing about it.

And as they were saying, they were nudging and whispering and looking around. Guess we were famous for defamation suit.

Unregistered Guest

hooliganism and brutish behaviour isn't confined to just the pro-enbloc group. The anti-enbloc group with their passions running high isn't any better.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    hooliganism and brutish behaviour isn't confined to just the pro-enbloc group. The anti-enbloc group with their passions running high isn't any better.
    death panelty for guns. boxing gloves are ok. still safe.

Unregistered Guest

Should just have a one month voting period yes to enbloc or no to enbloc. 50% vote yes than proceed. Otherwise wait for a few years than try again.
    Why the juggle? Its not benefiting anyone?

Unregistered Guest

Should just have a one month voting period yes to enbloc or no to enbloc. 50% vote yes than proceed. Otherwise wait for a few years than try again.
    Why the juggle? Its not benefiting anyone?
    As are result of all this are the prices expected to fall by Premium of expected enloc ?

Unregistered Guest

Property price not down. Enbloc price probably down.

Unregistered Guest

Sales Committee sucessfully formed . For info.

Unregistered Guest

In a way, its not a bad thing that the sales committee is reformed now rather than last year. Last year's committee would have pushed ahead still based on pre-subprime jitters property market and BP would have been stuck offering too high for a developer to bite.

Unregistered Guest

This enbloc is an exercise in futility!

foxygal Guest

not a waste of time if it help give me more options

Unregistered Guest

Talking Re: Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

The enbloc hard place: -

1) How many average home owners actually comprehend all the enbloc rules & regualtions, most probably have to rely on the word of lawyers or other supposed experts.

2) How many take one year or more to decide to sign for an enlobc.

3) If, after the STB has completed its deliberations on any particular enbloc application, home owners find it necessary to hire their own lawyers, what is the point of the STB deliberations to begin with - are they totally impartial?

4) How many home owners who have been through an enbloc saga feel that the apportionment method favoured the sales committee or the agents or both?

5) How many home owners have sufficient staying power for the many stages of the enbloc process, not to mention the overall frustration and aggravation of it all?

6) Have homes now become nothing more than a commodity to be traded at the whims of the few?

7) It really is time the authorities looked at this 'urban renewal' and saw it for what it rellay is!

Unregistered Guest

The enbloc hard place: -

1) How many average home owners actually comprehend all the enbloc rules & regualtions, most probably have to rely on the word of lawyers or other supposed experts.

2) How many take one year or more to decide to sign for an enlobc.

3) If, after the STB has completed its deliberations on any particular enbloc application, home owners find it necessary to hire their own lawyers, what is the point of the STB deliberations to begin with - are they totally impartial?

4) How many home owners who have been through an enbloc saga feel that the apportionment method favoured the sales committee or the agents or both?

5) How many home owners have sufficient staying power for the many stages of the enbloc process, not to mention the overall frustration and aggravation of it all?

6) Have homes now become nothing more than a commodity to be traded at the whims of the few?

7) It really is time the authorities looked at this 'urban renewal' and saw it for what it rellay is!
    No need to complain. Bayshore Park is too massive to go through!

Unregistered Guest

Angry Re: Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

No need to complain. Bayshore Park is too massive to go through!
    Even though it is too massive to go through, don't you think it is time the authority to stop the en bloc agony in this little red dot and let people live peacefully?

Unregistered Guest

what happens bayshore park does not go en-bloc

Unregistered Guest

what happens bayshore park does not go en-bloc
    the price will drop, that's all.

Unregistered Guest

It may help if the agents are made to foot part of the bill for holding the EOGM. That may stop them from making empty promises of high en bloc value, and things could take a more realistic outlook.

Unregistered Guest

Mandarin Gardens tried four times. Give up already.

Unregistered Guest

the price will drop, that's all.
    Wait for another 10 years , buildings cannot stand anymore, can get 80% within 3 months.

Unregistered Guest

Mandarin Gardens tried four times. Give up already.
    Brookvale Park (about 160 units) also tried a few times for enbloc. Cannot get 80 per cent. Now also give up.

Unregistered Guest

Brookvale Park (about 160 units) also tried a few times for enbloc. Cannot get 80 per cent. Now also give up.
    why they all give up? I think they all want orchard Rd land selling price which many developers are unwilling to paid.

Unregistered Guest

why they all give up? I think they all want orchard Rd land selling price which many developers are unwilling to paid.
    Last time enbloc is upgrade. Now don't know what grade. Not worth the all the energy. Big effort with little gain. Plus sunset area a lot of greenery.

Jieming Guest

A lot of BP units on sale in the classifieds these past few weeks.

Unregistered Guest

Question Re: Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

Quote Originally Posted by Jieming
    A lot of BP units on sale in the classifieds these past few weeks.
    Are you one of them? If I remember correctly, you pointed out previously that BP was too old!

Unregistered Guest

Old is fine, the new condos are like a concrete jungle?

Unregistered Guest

jungle = got space.

new condos more like concrete pigeon holes. Damn small and what's the use of balconies??

Unregistered Guest

Are you one of them? If I remember correctly, you pointed out previously that BP was too old!
    No I'm not one of them... yet.

As for balconies, I love my balcony. Its the nicest part of my home.

Jieming

Unregistered Guest

Question Re: Shouts & Jeers - Bayshore Park

No I'm not one of them... yet.

As for balconies, I love my balcony. Its the nicest part of my home.

Jieming
    If not ...yet, then are you waiting for en bloc, willing to forego your loved balcony?

Unregistered Guest

If not ...yet, then are you waiting for en bloc, willing to forego your loved balcony?
    anyone think/dreams that prices of 2 bed will be back to 400-420 range and 3bed to 500-550 in bayshore park by this year end ?

Jieming Guest

Balconies, like most (not all, but many if not most) things in life, have a price. For the right price, I'll sell you my lovely balcony and trade it for something else equally nice.

I don't intend to hold on to BP forever. When I let go really depends on a few factors like price, availability of replacement, timing, etc. So if you're trying to pin down a statement from me to declare one way or the other as to whether I will want or not want enbloc, you'll be in for a long wait. I'm practical. If there is enbloc, then I'd vote for the right price. If there is not enbloc, then I'll vote with a sale of my unit as and when I deem it the right time to sell and move.

Jieming