http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...entering-japan

Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (pic) was prevented from entering Japan this morning by immigration authorities and immediately told to leave on the first flight out of Tokyo. In a statement, Anwar said that he had arrived at the Narita International Airport this morning at 6.45am after departing from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
"However, I was denied entry by Japanese immigration authorities and told to board the first flight back to Malaysia or face deportation," Anwar said.

Japanese authorities told Anwar that he had been denied entry because of his previous conviction for sodomy in 1999.
"I told them this was not a valid reason because I had previously entered Tokyo on three occasions without hindrance in 2006, 2009 and 2012," Anwar said.
"I told the Japanese authorities that there must be some mix-up and protested that it was not proper for them to bar me from entering the country without a bona fide and legitimately valid reason."
"The Japanese authorities finally admitted that they had to take the action to bar me from entering because of a latest report, possibly from last year."
Anwar said he had flown to Japan after receiving a personal invite from the chairman of the Nippon Foundation, Tan Sri Yohei Sasakawa. He had been scheduled to present a paper on Muslim democrats.
Japan lifted the visa requirement for Malaysians visiting the country since last year.
Prior to departing from Malaysia, Anwar's office had inquired with the Japanese embassy in Kuala Lumpur and had been informed there were no issues preventing him from visiting the country.
"The Japanese embassy in Kuala Lumpur said there were no outstanding issues which would impede my travelling to Tokyo," Anwar said.
"I strongly protest against this unwarranted action by the Japanese government in refusing me entry into the country.
"They are denying my legitimate right to travel freely without let or hindrance," Anwar said.
He said it was inconceivable for one of the world's leading democracies to take this unprecedented action under such tenuous grounds.
"I am under the impression that hidden hands may be at work here and demand an explanation from Wisma Putra."
"I want to know what role has Wisma Putra played in this scandalous episode with respect to the so-called report which has led to me being forcibly denied entry into Japan." – January 19, 2014.