Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Transport Fare Hike

Default Public Transport Fare Hike

No body wants to discuss THIS

Public transport fare review: Changes "a good balance", says Lui Tuck Yew
    Published on Jan 16, 2014
    By Joanna Seow

The Public Transport Council (PTC) "has struck a good balance" in the new fare adjustment and overall public transport will be kept affordable for Singaporeans, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said in a Facebook post on Thursday.
    "The PTC has struck a good balance by keeping the fare increase a few notches below the average wage increase in 2013," he wrote, "while enhancing concessions for a significant segment of commuters like the students...and providing new products like the unlimited travel monthly passes for senior citizens and for other adults.
    "Overall, I believe this will continue to keep public transport affordable for Singaporeans."

Public Transport fare review at a glance

The Public Transport Council has announced a slew of changes to bus and train fares and concessionary schemes that will come into effect on April 6.

The council has also lifted the daily limits on train rides for train and hybrid monthly passes, which means users of these passes can take an unlimited number of rides per day.

From April 6

All commuters

Fares will go up by 3.2%.
    Adult card fares will go up by 4-6 cents per trip, depending on distance.
    Children below 7

Free travel for all.
    Currently, only those below 0.9m in height can travel for free.
    Students

Cheaper monthly concession passes.
    Primary pupil: $42.50 → $41 for hybrid pass
    Secondary student: $52.50 → $51 for hybrid pass
    Polytechnic student: $52 → $27.50 for bus pass;
    $45 → $25 for train pass; $97.50 → $51 for hybrid pass
    University student: $97 → $85 for hybrid pass
    Full-time National Servicemen

Cheaper monthly concession passes
    $61 → $52 for bus pass; $50 → $45 for train pass; $111 → $85 for hybrid pass
    Adults

New hybrid concession pass available at $120 a month.
    Senior Citizens

New hybrid concession pass available at $60 a month.
    From July 6

Low-wage workers

New concession of 15% off adult fares.
    Applicable to Workfare Income Supplement recipients below 60 years old.
    People with disabilities

New concession of 25% off adult fares.
    Fares capped at that for travel under 7.2km.
    New monthly hybrid passes available at $60 a month.
    Source: Public Transport Council

The fare hike is crap. Don't understand why PTC agree to that. Ka ki nang.

the worst is bus services so many places, heard, read and seen, during peak hours some bus service is so full not even able to pick up people and passengers have to wait for a few buses before they can board...still want to increase price... the passengers are really ko lian tai( pitiful...) kena bully left and right...service and fare....

the exercise is a farce. SMRT annual profit is close to $100m, on a bad year.

why is there a need to increase fares? can't channel some profits to reduce fares meh?

Those 60% who voted for them, this is what you get. Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Those 60% who voted for them, this is what you get. Enjoy the ride.
    This reminds me of something 10 years ago. When I was riding MRT, one middle-aged person told us the commuters not to vote PAP, but another XXX. I joked with him, "give me a reason to vote XXX", and he said, if XXX won, they would give more benefit to the people, for example, free healthcare. My first response is that they would use the national reserves to buy a lot of candies.

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill View Post
    This reminds me of something 10 years ago. When I was riding MRT, one middle-aged person told us the commuters not to vote PAP, but another XXX. I joked with him, "give me a reason to vote XXX", and he said, if XXX won, they would give more benefit to the people, for example, free healthcare. My first response is that they would use the national reserves to buy a lot of candies.
    The first question is SMRT/SBS losing money? Are they in the "red"? If not, I don't understand what do u mean by they would use the national reserves to buy a lot of candies? If we do not allow the raise in fare, is the government going to take out money from our national reserves to cover the "loss"? The issues we have here is that those companies are already earning a lot.. If you don't believe me, please give and see the dividend of those companies.

kns lah.. so cheap skate meh? 4-6c per ride KPKB.. singapore are really jokers. heavy users go buy the season pass loh...

buy 4D never complain. pay 5c more kpkb. wat the hack.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

all kpkb say must help the left behind and less fortunate ? so now is to put the $ where the mouth is.

5c- 6c more a lot meh? lol...

Its as usual.. talk cock only lah. when come to actually have to pay all kpkb liao.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by RCT View Post
    The first question is SMRT/SBS losing money? Are they in the "red"? If not, I don't understand what do u mean by they would use the national reserves to buy a lot of candies? If we do not allow the raise in fare, is the government going to take out money from our national reserves to cover the "loss"? The issues we have here is that those companies are already earning a lot.. If you don't believe me, please give and see the dividend of those companies.
    Although SMRT is a goverment backed company, it is privatised and listed.
    As far as I know, the dividend of SMRT is very pitiful in 2013...

anyway, that's not the point of my "CANDIES" story. what I want to say about the "CANDIES" story is that other parties who make groundless promise may not do any better.

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill View Post
    Although SMRT is a goverment backed company, it is privatised and listed.
    As far as I know, the dividend of SMRT is very pitiful in 2013...

anyway, that's not the point of my "CANDIES" story. what I want to say about the "CANDIES" story is that other parties who make groundless promise may not do any better.
    Aiyah people will say SMRT must make no $$$$. when that happen they largy worst. bo $ to send on maintenance. even worst.

all cent wise. pound foolish.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    kns lah.. so cheap skate meh? 4-6c per ride KPKB.. singapore are really jokers. heavy users go buy the season pass loh...

buy 4D never complain. pay 5c more kpkb. wat the hack.
    Actually the season pass looks good... $120 per month... Can seriously considered... People kpkw is u pay more but get nothing in return.. But 4D at least can have chance to win... U raise fare by $1 also the same thing will happen

the subway in Manhattan ... is a flat fare .... regardless the number of stops ... USD 1.8/- flat ...

buy 'store value' card ... saves even more ... each trip averages USD 1.3 I think ...

they make money from the MASSIVE tourists that come into the city ... and not the people of NYC ...

cool right ?

every week , a stretch of the several lines will be closed .. engineers will walk the rail to inspect ...

so far no break down ... mind you its 100 year old subway network already .. AND they operate 24 hr ...

can SMRT do they same ?

Quote Originally Posted by RCT View Post
    Actually the season pass looks good... $120 per month... Can seriously considered... People kpkw is u pay more but get nothing in return.. But 4D at least can have chance to win... U raise fare by $1 also the same thing will happen
    Then SMRT should give out free pass for a mthly lucky draw!!! so people fell for the 6c they get some chance thing. LOL

so cheap skate.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    the subway in Manhattan ... is a flat fare .... regardless the number of stops ... USD 1.8/- flat ...

buy 'store value' card ... saves even more ... each trip averages USD 1.3 I think ...

they make money from the MASSIVE tourists that come into the city ... and not the people of NYC ...

cool right ?

every week , a stretch of the several lines will be closed .. engineers will walk the rail to inspect ...

so far no break down ... mind you its 100 year old subway network already .. AND they operate 24 hr ...

can SMRT do they same ?

Ehh How much tax the people there pay ah? to fund it?

I have a friend who use to work in SMRT his job is to walk the track every day too.

BTW I think the fair is not $1.8 is USD $2.5
    Last edited by minority; 17-01-14 at 23:19.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Ehh How much tax the people there pay ah? to fund it?

I have a friend who use to work in SMRT his job is to walk the track every day too.

BTW I think the fair is not $1.8 is USD $2.5
    I have several Store value cards ... need to calculate hehhe

tax high lah ... but education almost free leh ... cost of living lower than spore ... goods are cheaper then spore

branded goods lagi cheaper than spore

food better quality and bigger portion than spore

net net ... still better off

I have several Store value cards ... need to calculate hehhe

tax high lah ... but education almost free leh ... cost of living lower than spore ... goods are cheaper then spore

branded goods lagi cheaper than spore

food better quality and bigger portion than spore

net net ... still better off

Cheaper becoz now SGD is good. USD devalued by QE mah. look back when USD was 1.8 of SGD its dont feel cheap then leh.

The free education ehhh people most people here want to go to thier public school LOL.

100yr train system also not perfect. I dont expect it to be perfect either.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1882705...-subway-system

http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/201...ro-north-line/

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/10...n-line-riders/

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

for those who were in manhattan the last couple of days ...

you might have seen this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM1s4ia2p2A

Cheaper becoz now SGD is good. USD devalued by QE mah. look back when USD was 1.8 of SGD its dont feel cheap then leh.

The free education ehhh people most people here want to go to thier public school LOL.

100yr train system also not perfect. I dont expect it to be perfect either.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1882705...-subway-system

http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/201...ro-north-line/

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/10...n-line-riders/
    so far I have kana any break down ... the train is noisy and dirty though ...

Its not the 4-6cents that i care about. its not a lot of money, although it will accumulate over time and MAY reach a significant amount in time to come. If i can save on that why shouldn't i?

the reason im not happy with the fare hike is because SMRT does NOT deserve it? what good have they done? look at the countless number of train breakdowns so far. every few weeks u get a news report of another breakdown like its now part of our expectations during our daily commute to and fro. yes they are building new lines - but do u not see how the completion year keeps getting pushed back? inefficiency at its best. they simply cannot cope.

ive never been to manhattan but from the way a forummer described earlier it seems that we have a long way to go. ensuring reliability and stability in our transport system should come first, then focusing on peak hour improvements, then finally getting down to (probably) a 24 hour service would be amazing.

but no. SMRT rests on their laurels and believes they are already good enough. like please open your eyes already?
    I've had enough. I'm done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clemdale24 View Post
    Its not the 4-6cents that i care about. its not a lot of money, although it will accumulate over time and MAY reach a significant amount in time to come. If i can save on that why shouldn't i?

the reason im not happy with the fare hike is because SMRT does NOT deserve it? what good have they done? look at the countless number of train breakdowns so far. every few weeks u get a news report of another breakdown like its now part of our expectations during our daily commute to and fro. yes they are building new lines - but do u not see how the completion year keeps getting pushed back? inefficiency at its best. they simply cannot cope.

ive never been to manhattan but from the way a forummer described earlier it seems that we have a long way to go. ensuring reliability and stability in our transport system should come first, then focusing on peak hour improvements, then finally getting down to (probably) a 24 hour service would be amazing.

but no. SMRT rests on their laurels and believes they are already good enough. like please open your eyes already?

is it true whenever theres a break down ... SMRT gets fined ?

by the govt ?

money goes to govt ?

Reserve Chiong ah ...........

so far I have kana any break down ... the train is noisy and dirty though ...
    100yr old mah.. like London tubes. u go out to the suburb is wood carriage still. the old lines.

NYC MTA also had a bad year....

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rough...high-time-rate

Any they just raise fairs in JAN 2014 by 5% in some lines. people also.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by clemdale24 View Post

6cent keep how long become significant? given u take 2 trips a day. 12 cents X 365 days x 100 yrs. come to a meager $4380 not factoring inflation. Thats a lot? wow......

btw there are cost in SMRT to run a train system and its part of keeping up with inflation and cost. all people so cheap skate. lol....

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

100yr old mah.. like London tubes. u go out to the suburb is wood carriage still. the old lines.

NYC MTA also had a bad year....

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rough...high-time-rate

Any they just raise fairs in JAN 2014 by 5% in some lines. people also.

it is very old ... and 24 hr operation ... a price hike ..cant complain

6cent keep how long become significant? given u take 2 trips a day. 12 cents X 365 days x 100 yrs. come to a meager $4380 not factoring inflation. Thats a lot? wow......

btw there are cost in SMRT to run a train system and its part of keeping up with inflation and cost. all people so cheap skate. lol....

I think the point is that :

Quit calling it First class transport system when it keeps breaking down ..

and to the guy whose friend used to WALK the line everyday , hes not doing a good job to spot the faults..

sporean didn't ask that it be privatized ...

sporean are not happy to have to pay more for more frequent break downs ..

anymore ?

I think the point is that :

Quit calling it First class transport system when it keeps breaking down ..

and to the guy whose friend used to WALK the line everyday , hes not doing a good job to spot the faults..

sporean didn't ask that it be privatized ...

sporean are not happy to have to pay more for more frequent break downs ..

anymore ?
    Maybe some of u will like to volunteer to walk the tracks then?

Singaporean are never happy. since when they are happy .

Singaporean never ask for anything other than free! if its not privatize and even more tax $ are needed and more tax collected to fund it. people will ask why its not privatized?

Break down? everything also have time will break down u mean our cars we drive never break down even if we every time send for maintenance? face it things grow older will breakdown. unless wan to change train every 5yrs? lol then kpkb again cost expensive dont want to pay.. never end. lol.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

it is very old ... and 24 hr operation ... a price hike ..cant complain
    oh so now their break down is ok and price hike is ok lol 24hrs.. their fair is more ex too.

so u mean u willing to pay even higher fare so the train is 24hrs ? 6 cent all KPKB liao.. dont kid urself.

singaporean are just being cheapskate.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

i sarport ERP up $5 per every entry and public transport up $0.50per ride .

I feel that the mtr in HK, Taipei and Seoul mrt more first class than our Singapore one.

oh so now their break down is ok and price hike is ok lol 24hrs.. their fair is more ex too.

so u mean u willing to pay even higher fare so the train is 24hrs ? 6 cent all KPKB liao.. dont kid urself.

singaporean are just being cheapskate.

no no don't get me wrong

what I am saying is that ..

the MTA is 100 ish year old ... if there is any break down .. it is more acceptable .. compared to the age of our MRT ... and the frequent breakdown ... it becomes not acceptable ...

for a subway that is 100 year old .. and operates 24 hr .. a fare hike is understandable ... like I said ... engineers walk the track every week to spot any problem ...

for our MRT ...the guy who walk the track every night .. didn't spot any problem ... yet we still hear a lot of breakdown .. and if SMRT raise the fare ...even if it is 6 cts ... people who have been caught in the breakdown will of course KPKB ...

whats more ... ours is supposed to be WORLD CLASS leh (talk big only) ... so many breakdown ... and fare hike ..how to be happy ..

1 cent increase also too much ...