Thread: HDB announces quota on subletting of flat

Default HDB announces quota on subletting of flat

http://m.todayonline.com//singapore/...ats-foreigners

SINGAPORE — To prevent the formation of “foreigner enclaves” at Housing and Development Board (HDB) estates, the number of HDB flats that can be wholly sublet to foreigners will now be capped at 8 per cent and 11 per cent at the neighbourhood and block level, respectively.

The HDB said today (Jan 16) that the new quota will be imposed with immediate effect and applies to Permanent Residents and foreigners, but excludes Malaysians, “who can better integrate into our estates due to their cultural and historical similarities with Singaporeans”.

This follows an announcement by National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan last year that that a cap would be imposed to maintain the Singaporean character of the heartlands.

Currently, less than 4 per cent of HDB flats are sublet to foreigners, excluding Malaysians. But the HDB added that the proportion have gone up to 9 per cent in some areas, or even 18 per cent in some blocks.

The new quota however, will not apply to the subletting of rooms. This is to reduce the impact on people who rely on subletting for additional income, such as the elderly and the low-income households, noted the HDB.

“This aims to maintain the Singapore character of our HDB heartlands while balancing the housing and subletting needs of citizens and foreigners in Singapore,” said the HDB.

Members of the public can now visit the new e-Service available on the HDB website to check if a particular flat can be sublet to foreigners. The HDB added that the information will be updated on the first day of every month.

This new quota will then be applicable to new applicants and all flat subletting applications currently received by the HDB.

Meanwhile, flat owners who are currently subletting their whole flat with the HDB’s approval can continue to do so for the remaining approved subletting duration. Any subsequent application once the existing approval expires or is terminated will be subjected to the new policy.

For flat owners who already sublet their flats to Singaporean or Malaysian subtenants but wish to include foreign subtenants thereafter will also have to adhere to the new quota.

The HDB added that unauthorised subletting of HDB units will be considered a serious infringement of the lease and penalties can include a fine and the compulsory acquisition of the flat.

HDB ‏@Singapore_HDB 14m

Use this e-Service to check if the non-citizen subletting quota in your #HDB block has been reached: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/subletting-quota

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    HDB ‏@Singapore_HDB 14m

Use this e-Service to check if the non-citizen subletting quota in your #HDB block has been reached: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/subletting-quota

The page you are trying to access is not found or is being updated. You may want to try using the Search box on the HDB InfoWEB to find the information you need.

Is the government really ready?

too many people access the website?

Does this work? Let see if it works.

Do you also see potential rental hike for HDB whole unit rental and room rental?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix View Post
    The page you are trying to access is not found or is being updated. You may want to try using the Search box on the HDB InfoWEB to find the information you need.

Sorry about that.
    It was available when it first appeared as I tried it and it worked.
    Don't know how come now cannot?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix View Post

I tried the link again now, and it is working!
    Perhaps the link only function during certain times of the day?

This was raised earlier as a possibility of happening and after the little India riot I think became a certainty to happen, I think the net effect is minor and will if anything cause cheaper condos near to these areas to become even more concentrated on an ethnic basis with spillover from those who want to live in an ethnic ghetto

heard the news last nite and it seems to me a very effective deterrent...the figure can be adjusted...

it is a headache for those who ever think of renting a HDB or thinking of buying one to rent( there is still some who ku buay ki still thinking of buying one just to rent)...u never know if u can ever rent it out...as the figure not only depending on block but also on neighbourhood level...this means that there is a risk that now u maybe lucky it can be rented out..but after let say lease expires, u may not be able to do so( like balloting the number also float, if kena hit quota due to neighborhood, finish)...

Will this new rule spur current tenants to buy HDB resale instead of renting?

Cos Tenants (foreigners) willbe put to test for every tenancy renewals subject to HDB new requirement?

Also next time will we see foreign tenants asking their countryman not to stay near them!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    Will this new rule spur current tenants to buy HDB resale instead of renting?

Cos Tenants (foreigners) willbe put to test for every tenancy renewals subject to HDB new requirement?

Also next time will we see foreign tenants asking their countryman not to stay near them!! lol

are u staying in Sg presently? cos I don't think u are local or PR...

Has hdb even thought of the fact that room rental sometimes end up having more foreigners than renting whole unit? I know of entire units rented to only two foreigners n a one bedroom rental with four foreigners inside. The idea of maintaining sg identity in the heartlands is also bullshit coz a third of our population are foreigners n hdb takes up 80% of all housing in sg.

It's not working at the moment. I tried block and post code. Anybody succeeded?

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry View Post
    It works. I use block and street. But it is misleading coz it says you are eligible to rent for the whole month of January....but what if upon application the quota just met. I think must still check frequently.

[quote=propertyhans;457571]It works. I use block and street. But it is misleading coz it says you are eligible to rent for the whole month of January....but what if upon application the quota just met. I think must still check frequently.[/quote

that is the risk as the number keep floating not only block level but neighbourhood level too....majiam balloting...

The system is a blardy mess. If those cannot renew their current tenant's contract for whole unit does it mean have to switch contract to room rental? If this already staying in pc n renting hdb must they put hdb or pc as own stay pty to benefit from rebate in pty tax?

[QUOTE=peterng8;457578]
    Quote Originally Posted by propertyhans View Post
    It works. I use block and street. But it is misleading coz it says you are eligible to rent for the whole month of January....but what if upon application the quota just met. I think must still check frequently.[/quote

that is the risk as the number keep floating not only block level but neighbourhood level too....majiam balloting...

[quote=Patrickstar;457586]The system is a blardy mess. If those cannot renew their current tenant's contract for whole unit does it mean have to switch contract to room rental? If this already staying in pc n renting hdb must they put hdb or pc as own stay pty to benefit from rebate in pty tax?

definitely....tenants have to move to rent room or rent PC lo..but rooms cheaper ma...PC expensive not every FT can afford to rent PC although it is shiok to stay in PC..if not they will move to PC in the first place why rent HDB?

landlord will either move back to HDB or sell their HDB lor.... (sorry or leave it empty or rent to Malaysian or locals )
    Last edited by peterng8; 17-01-14 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by propertyhans View Post
    It works. I use block and street. But it is misleading coz it says you are eligible to rent for the whole month of January....but what if upon application the quota just met. I think must still check frequently.
    Suggest you request for permission to sublet whole flat online as soon as you have the tenants' details and have checked that the quota has not been met for the month.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry View Post
    Sis, I just tried it and it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    Sis, I just tried it and it is working.

I kay po also

just tried ...

it says " Sorry, no matching records found based on the information you provided."

PC rent will get support. now cannot rent HDB will be forced to rent PC... but maybe more in 1 unit thats all. lol
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Malaysians are exempted from the computation of quota. They will be of demand. Can rent to them and they sublet to non malaysian.

I tried mine and a few of my friends. All are eligible for rent. Any examples thus far of flats not eligible for rent to foreigners? I think it affects a very small segment only.....Possibly, Pinnacle next time will be affected. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Warren49 View Post
    I tried mine and a few of my friends. All are eligible for rent. Any examples thus far of flats not eligible for rent to foreigners? I think it affects a very small segment only.....Possibly, Pinnacle next time will be affected. LOL

now can does not mean can all the way...when there is quota there is restrictions, ST/BTs mentioned areas like Jurong, Sengkang, clementi and some areas hit quota already. how high ? only HDB knows...when those FTs lease expires, assuming still in Sg, they will need to rent room or shifted to other areas (where n when?..hard to tell , depend on their lease expiry n location)..this will fill other areas quota ...who know it will fill your area or neighbourhood or not if they continue to rent HDB....the number will float and there will be some form of risk for renting whole unit unless u are renting room only ...

HDB is not fully yours...unlike PC......