Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marina Bay Suites fire

Default Marina Bay Suites fire

The Straits Times ‏@STcom 6m
    Marina Bay Suites fire: Police still at scene more than 10 hours after fire. More updates to come.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...uites-20140114

A fire broke out at a 65th floor unit of the Marina Bay Suites condominium late Monday night, forcing residents to be evacuated from their apartments.

As of 7am Tuesday morning, the building was still being cordoned off with police officers at the scene.

A woman who looked to be in her 40s and another who looked to be in her early 20s were spotted at the scene looking distraught.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force received a call for help at 10.11pm. A spokesman said the fire involved contents of renovation materials, such as paint, at the service lift lobby area. An SCDF personnel was taken away in an ambulance conscious on Monday night.

"A fire was reported here at 10pm, and immediately we evacuated all residents and called the SCDF," said Mr Thomas Tan, director of residential and marketing for Raffles Quay Asset Management, which manages the development.

Mr Tan told reporters at 2am on Tuesday that the 221-unit development was largely unoccupied, with residents living in only 20 of the units. The 65th floor apartment that caught fire was unsold and unoccupied, he added.

Dr Summer Stears, 38, who lives on the 11th floor, said that she and her husband were going to bed at about 9.45pm when the fire alarm began to go off intermittently. They took the stairs down at about 10pm, as there was no power to the lifts at that point.

"We saw a man brought down at about 12.45am, he was supported by three others on their shoulders," said Dr Stears. "They were walking him around a little bit, keeping him walking." Residents were allowed to return to their apartments at 2.30am.

Marina Bay Suites fire: 2 die in fire on Monday night http://bit.ly/1hRkTIk

Marina Bay Suites fire: The two charred bodies were found by SCDF firefighters inside the 65th floor service lift opening.

AsiaOne ‏@sphasiaone 4m
    The fire involved contents believed to be renovation materials, and was confined to the service corridor and lift... http://fb.me/1O3Mco0u5

that's very sad news, whenever deaths are involved.

but this being a property forum, please forgive me for writing something unfeeling.

it will now be very difficult to sell the bestest one and only penthouse #65-01.

the unit which SCDF had to break into is THE ONLY unit on #65. 8181 sq ft.

if the unit is unoccupied...how come the 2 can get burnt to death??

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    but this being a property forum, please forgive me for writing something unfeeling.

it will now be very difficult to sell the bestest one and only penthouse #65-01.

the unit which SCDF had to break into is THE ONLY unit on #65. 8181 sq ft.
    can bargain for lower price?

Quote Originally Posted by babyt View Post
    if the unit is unoccupied...how come the 2 can get burnt to death??
    Maybe its the neighbour?

as mentioned above, there is no neighbour.

correct me if i'm wrong, but until Clermont is up, this unit is the TALLEST RESIDENTIAL PENTHOUSE in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    Maybe its the neighbour?

"Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

if its the owner then Singapore just lost a millionaire

maybe smoking and fell a sleep.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

With 221 units, only 20 units are occupied. This shows the rental situation in some of the so-called "upmarket" condos. Not good.

In any case, the story has some loopholes. How can a unit with no occupant spontaneously catch fire? And how did the 2 residents die when they don't stay in that unit? Did they die at the fire exit or lift lobby while trying to escape? Sometimes its not a good idea to stay too high a unit. Your neighbour catch fire and you also die and it will take too long to go down the stairs.

its possible that its renovation workers.

Channel NewsAsia ‏@ChannelNewsAsia 52s
    Two security officers found dead in Marina Bay Suites fire http://cna.asia/1cYzIEq

MARINA BAY SUITES FIRE: Victims identified as security officers - one Malaysian female, 34, and one Singaporean male, 58

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...ers-one-male-t

The two victims of the Marina Bay Suites fire were security officers at the condominium.

They are Mr Sim Lai Huat, 58, a Singaporean, and Ms Sooria Kala Kanaseon, 34, a Malaysian, said the police on Tuesday.

The fire broke out just after 10pm on Monday at the 65th floor of the 221-unit condominium that is still mostly unoccupied. Residents were evacuated earlier but most returned to their units at about 2am on Tuesday.

Firemen found the two bodies at about 2am inside the service lift opening to the 65th floor.
    An SCDF spokesman said the fire involved renovation materials, such as paint, at the service lift lobby area. The fire was confined to the area.

The Marina Bay Suites is a 66-storey luxury condominium next to The Sail @ Marina Bay. Its 221 units include 108 three-bedders - all have been sold - 110 four-bedroom units and three penthouses, one of which went for $19.3 million.

The three-bedroom units range from 1,572 to 1,625 sq ft, while the four-bedders are 2,045 sq ft to 2,691 sq ft in size. Each unit comes with its own private lift lobby.

When it obtained its Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP) in July last year, 90 per cent of the 221 units were sold through private previews in Singapore as well as overseas, including in Indonesia, Malaysia and China. Prices averaged $2,700 per sq ft (psf) then.

The Business Times reported that half of the buyers were Singaporeans, with Indonesians, Malaysians and mainland Chinese prominent among the other owners.

Marina Bay Suites was developed by a consortium controlled by Keppel Land, Cheung Kong Holdings and Hongkong Land Holdings.

could they have taken a lift up to investigate the fire only to be unpleasantly surprised by how big the fire really is and burnt them instantly when the lift door opened?

Sigh... Sad case; but it also shows inadequate training of these security officers,
    in case of fire, do not use lift (assuming they took the lift)

could they have taken a lift up to investigate the fire only to be unpleasantly surprised by how big the fire really is and burnt them instantly when the lift door opened?
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

that's very true.

on the other hand, they could have accidentally triggered the fire while trying to clear those renovation materials? will need more details to be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post
    Sigh... Sad case; but it also shows inadequate training of these security officers,
    in case of fire, do not use lift (assuming they took the lift)

i remember once whereby i got molested and i went to the security guard, he told me he can't do anything. I think these security guards are for decoration. How many company will really spend money on training the security guard? To them, What are the probability of fire outbreak in sg?

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...monday-2014011

Residents of Marina Bay Suites were left shaken after Monday night's fire at their condominium which left two security officers dead.

One of the residents, 40-year-old Indonesian tourist Mrs Akmam, said: "The alarm started sounding at about 9.40pm. I panicked and ran out in just my pyjamas."

The fire broke out on the 65th floor shortly after and some residents were evacuated from the building, she said. As the lifts were not working, she had to take the stairs down from her unit on the 53rd floor. "I bought an apartment in Singapore because it's very safe and clean here. But now I want to sell my unit," she said.

Another resident, who only wanted to be known as James, is upset with the building's management. "I'm frustrated because when the alarms rang I came down to check, but we were told by the building manager to go back up," said Mr James, whose lives on the 38th floor. "How could we have been told to stay when something like that had happened?"

The main entrance to the 221-unit condominium at Raffles Quay was cordoned off, with police officers standing guard till about 2.30pm on Tuesday. A resident carrying her baby was spotted returning to the building in just a bathrobe and bath slippers.

Firefighters and paramedics have been moving in and out since Monday night with tools such as stretchers, spades, towels, flashlights and wooden planks.

"I bought an apartment in Singapore because it's very safe and clean here. But now I want to sell my unit," she said.
    giving new meaning to the words FIRE SALE

so exaggarating leh.

this building has more than 60+ storey and only 1 unit on fire and this indonesian resident wants to sell off?

then many HDB dwellers need to sell their houses also due to neighbour fire?

giving new meaning to the words FIRE SALE

ok $1000 psf take!
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    ok $1000 psf take!
    lol her comments are stupid... but dun tink stupid untill selling at this price loh...
    Ong lai ah!

Quote Originally Posted by onglai View Post
    lol her comments are stupid... but dun tink stupid untill selling at this price loh...
    emphasize on Her comments

"it's very safe and clean here"

maybe not so "clean" now

One of the residents, 40-year-old Indonesian tourist Mrs Akmam, said: "The alarm started sounding at about 9.40pm. I panicked and ran out in just my pyjamas."

The fire broke out on the 65th floor shortly after and some residents were evacuated from the building, she said. As the lifts were not working, she had to take the stairs down from her unit on the 53rd floor. "I bought an apartment in Singapore because it's very safe and clean here. But now I want to sell my unit," she said.
    Please sell, Mrs Akmam from 53rd floor.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?