Thread: The common traits of banks

Default The common traits of banks

http://propertysoul.com/2013/12/09/t...aits-of-banks/

The common traits of banks

December 9, 2013

If you understand something about banks, you may notice that they have a few common traits:

1. When you least think of them, they contact you most (with cold calls).

2. When you don’t want to see them, they want to reach you (to collect outstanding loan).

3. When you need them the least, they want to lend you the most.

4. When you need them the most, they want to lend you the least.

I once received a call from a bank representative.

Bank: Is this Ms xxxx? I am calling from xxxx bank. To reward our loyal customers, we are offering a $15,000 personal loan to you at a special rate of …

Me: No, thank you. I don’t need to borrow money.

Bank: Why not? The interest rate is low.

Me: I have enough cash. I don’t need to borrow money.

Bank: But you can keep your cash and invest what you borrow to make more money.

Me: I really don’t need to borrow now. One day when I am cash-strapped, I will consider borrowing from you.

Bank: If you are cash-strapped, we can’t promise that your loan application can be approved.

Me: So you mean: When I don’t need money, you will lend me more; but when I need money, you won’t lend me anything?

Bank: That’s why you better borrow now when you have money.

Me: What happen if I borrow money now and can’t repay you in the future?

Bank: Ms xxxx, we have checked your bank account, you can afford to repay the $15,000 with interest anytime.

Me: Okay then. If you really want to reward me for being a loyal customer of xxxx bank, give me the $15,000 now with no interest and absolutely no need to repay any amount in the future, then I will definitely take it today.

The bank representative hung up on me, dashing my dream of pocketing a windfall.

On a separate occasion, I got a call from another bank.

Bank: Ms xxxx, we just launched a new home loan that offers the best interest rates in town. We can help you to refinance your existing home loan to save on interest …

Me: Thank you for letting me know but we have paid off our housing loan some time ago.

Bank: Do you have any outstanding loan for other properties?

Me: I have sold my properties and cleared all the outstanding loans.

Bank: What about your car loan? How much are you paying for it now?

Me: It is just a very old second hand car that I bought it with cash many years ago.

Bank: Do you plan to buy a new car soon?

Me: Maybe, but it depends on …

Bank: We have an auto loan package that offers the most competitive …

Me: But my husband is paying for it. I don’t think he will ask me to take up a loan for a gift.

Bank: No problem. We can help him to finance your new car.

Me: And he also likes to pay everything in cash.

Bank: Or do you have …

Me: Yes, yes, I know people who want to buy a new property or refinance their existing home, but somehow can’t pass the TDSR threshold. I also know people who want to buy cars but their hands are tied by the new car loan restrictions. This is the number that can reach you, right? Okay, I will ask them to call you now …

Bank: I don’t think we want their business. Thank you.

So another telemarketer hung up on me. I thought it is supposed to be the other way round?

Anyway, that is how I became one of the 67,000 people who registered their telephone number with the DNC (Do Not Call) Registry when it was launched on the first day. We were all so desperate to opt out for any telemarketing call or marketing message sent to us without consent.

Like what American poet Marilyn Hacker said,

“You did say, need me less and I’ll want you more.”

Very astute observation...always enjoy reading yr post!

Great narrative.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Borrowings can be liken to a knife....

Use it wisely and it can cut meat, vegetable, etc.....

Use it wrongly, and it can kill a person....

Since it has the ability to injure even the holder, does it mean we do not teach our kids to wield it???? To use it to cut meat??? In fear that the kid will injure themselves????

Our fear of debt, stems from our forefathers who have taught us - don't be in debt..... And this has resonated in so many of us.....

Use it wisely and it will do you well... Use it wrongly and it will provide u destruction....

I am an advocator of debt..... But manageable debt and good debt....

Why pay up on an investment property when u can use interest from loan to offset your tax... At the same time, u can use your spare cash for other investments???? (don't ask me what other investments please)... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut View Post
    Why pay up on an investment property when u can use interest from loan to offset your tax...
    by the time i understand this... too late liao
    started only loaned 75% (gei kiang lor, thought loan lesser is better), then as valuation rise, LTV drop to 40%... so lesser interest payment to offset rental income tax....
    but i suppose this is still much better than valuation drop hor

Quote Originally Posted by taggy View Post
    by the time i understand this... too late liao
    started only loaned 75% (gei kiang lor, thought loan lesser is better), then as valuation rise, LTV drop to 40%... so lesser interest payment to offset rental income tax....
    but i suppose this is still much better than valuation drop hor
    Let me share something for u to chew on...

Assuming property is 1 mil. U loan 800k... Interest @ 1.5 % = 12k. U can use this to write off tax...

U keep 800k cash... Of the 800k cash, u put into bonds say 500k leaving u with 300k cash.
    Cash 300k u put into fix d @ 1% = 3k.
    Bonds 500k @ 4% = 20k.
    Total 23k per year vs 12 u pay interest...

U still make 11k/year additional... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Of course everything has risk rite.... Manage it lor... Buy blue chip bonds...

Just an example hor....

U did well bro.... Better late than never, rite....

Of course when loan interest rate shoot up, u pay off rite??? Think again, bond rates will also go up... Hahahaha, so get short dated bonds lor... HAHAHAHAHAHA

One can really see the power of leveraging. Rich ones even leverage more.

Assuming property is 1 mil. U loan 800k... Interest @ 1.5 % = 12k. U can use this to write off tax...

U keep 800k cash... Of the 800k cash, u put into bonds say 500k leaving u with 300k cash.
    Bonds 500k @ 4% = 20k.

Just an example hor....

Of course when loan interest rate shoot up, u pay off rite??? Think again, bond rates will also go up... Hahahaha, so get short dated bonds lor... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    One can really see the power of leveraging. Rich ones even leverage more.
    Bro, leverage is a great tool if used well...

The issue starts when the banks come taking back the umbrella. Hahahahaha... So u also need to know how many umbrellas u can borrow... Some struck it big when they took many umbrellas and managed to return back some umbrellas after getting free umbrellas... Hahahaha.. This is the high risk - high return type...

Me, I borrow the umbrellas with the ability to return some back

Got to make sure are good ones without holes.
    Bro, leverage is a great tool if used well...

The issue starts when the banks come taking back the umbrella. Hahahahaha... So u also need to know how many umbrellas u can borrow... Some struck it big when they took many umbrellas and managed to return back some umbrellas after getting free umbrellas... Hahahaha.. This is the high risk - high return type...

Me, I borrow the umbrellas with the ability to return some back

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    Got to make sure are good ones without holes.
    Bro, now adays... difficult to find good ones.... I have moved along after my last purchase in 4Q2012.... paid 3% ABSD... pain but no regrets...

At 10% ABSD, see peh siong leh... need a good 3 years of rental for breakeven and not worth it... The govt is doing whatever to ensure minimal growth in price increase... They so happy when they achieve it and shout out loud... so I kuay kuay listen to them... hahahahahahaha

Bro, now adays... difficult to find good ones.... I have moved along after my last purchase in 4Q2012.... paid 3% ABSD... pain but no regrets...

At 10% ABSD, see peh siong leh... need a good 3 years of rental for breakeven and not worth it... The govt is doing whatever to ensure minimal growth in price increase... They so happy when they achieve it and shout out loud... so I kuay kuay listen to them... hahahahahahaha
    anyone think prices will go down more? since CCR has slided and HDB is leading the way (bottom-up?)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie11 View Post
    anyone think prices will go down more? since CCR has slided and HDB is leading the way (bottom-up?)
    Bro, I think the question is how many % gain per year is expected for increase??? If double digit % per year, do you think govt will put more cooling measures????

Bonds 500k @ 4% = 20k.

Just an example hor....

Hi Bro Chestnut,

Is Interest on property loan tax deductable? (Assuming property is 1 mil. U loan 800k... Interest @ 1.5 % = 12k. U can use this to write off tax...)

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Hi Bro Chestnut,

Is Interest on property loan tax deductable? (Assuming property is 1 mil. U loan 800k... Interest @ 1.5 % = 12k. U can use this to write off tax...)
    All deductibles listed here - yes

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=160