Thread: Owners in D08 Little India, Race Course Road Beware!

Default Owners in D08 Little India, Race Course Road Beware!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...-s/914834.html
    SINGAPORE: Police confirm a riot occurred at the junction of Race Course Road and Hampshire Road in Little India at 9.23pm Sunday.

Police officers are at scene and are in control of the situation.

The public is advised to stay away from the affected area.

Further updates will be given when available.

- CNA/ir

Accident waiting to happen on the roads there, people anyhow cross the roads with no regard for the law all the time.

Ya, pedestrians just cross and walk along the road, take for granted that the ongoing vehicles will give way to them, like nobody business.

Once our car was being hit by the "stationary" car, why?

We just collected our car the very day and drove pass that area to my sister-in-law's house to give her something. As there were so many people and also we were about to turn into the lane, so we slow down, a car from the side parking lot, without giving any signal, suddenly drove out and hit our car. That driver still can smiled and said sorry . It was so heartache, it was a brand new car, first day only!

They should station the policemen along the road there for every 30m and arrest those jaywalkers. Confirm huat!

Just hope that it will not influence the other nationalities. They may not allow congregation of people of more 5-8. Otherwise, it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    Just hope that it will not influence the other nationalities. They may not allow congregation of people of more 5-8. Otherwise, it is illegal.
    this is a stupid ruling that can only be enforced on young ah bengs. try walking around geylang every night and everywhere's virtually filled with groups of illegal gatherers

This area is a very dangerous place to drive... once i drove here at night with my vehicle head lights turned on. Then out of nowhere, these 2 men came running towards my car, as if running towards the light of my vehicle. Had to jam brake... the road culture of this area is definitely not Singaporean. While I understand the need to have distinct cultures in designated places across the island, I guess there should be some form of restriction too...

Are Singaporean drivers driving in Singapore to adapt to the driving/road cultures of other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap View Post
    This area is a very dangerous place to drive... once i drove here at night with my vehicle head lights turned on. Then out of nowhere, these 2 men came running towards my car, as if running towards the light of my vehicle. Had to jam brake... the road culture of this area is definitely not Singaporean. While I understand the need to have distinct cultures in designated places across the island, I guess there should be some form of restriction too...

Are Singaporean drivers driving in Singapore to adapt to the driving/road cultures of other countries?

er, send them to the road safety park at east coast??! you make them sound like they're kangaroos.......

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    er, send them to the road safety park at east coast??! you make them sound like they're kangaroos.......
    Is that how kangaroos behave? Well it was merely my experience when I drove there years back. Must always remind myself of potential careless pedestrian whenever I drive in that area. :cheers1:

That female driver might be driving too fast missed that unfortunate pedestrian and then the accident happened...

I happen to work in India and it is a terrible habit but they jaywalk like it's their grandfather's land. Perhaps they bring it with them. I talked to quite a number of upper class Indians and they DO NOT visit Little India. The common reason is that they feel Little India is a gangster infested place where uncivilized nationals of their kind congregate.

I avoid driving through Serangoon Road (the Little India stretch). I would rather drive through Victoria Street or Beach Road or Nicoll Highway.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Is that how kangaroos behave? Well it was merely my experience when I drove there years back. Must always remind myself of potential careless pedestrian whenever I drive in that area.

That female driver might be driving too fast missed that unfortunate pedestrian and then the accident happened...
    well, kangaroos and wallabies are known to cause highway accidents in australia.....

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    this is a stupid ruling that can only be enforced on young ah bengs. try walking around geylang every night and everywhere's virtually filled with groups of illegal gatherers
    I believe the whole point is not to stop people gathering in groups of more than 3 or whatever the number is.

A cynic would say the purpose is so the police have something they can easily use to arrest people on the street if they feel the need to...... let's face it most of us go for lunch with enough people to be considered an illegal gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by ecimbew View Post
    I happen to work in India and it is a terrible habit but they jaywalk like it's their grandfather's land. Perhaps they bring it with them. I talked to quite a number of upper class Indians and they DO NOT visit Little India. The common reason is that they feel Little India is a gangster infested place where uncivilized nationals of their kind congregate.

I avoid driving through Serangoon Road (the Little India stretch). I would rather drive through Victoria Street or Beach Road or Nicoll Highway.
    Yup... its a very different road culture there. I heard from my relatives who visited India comment that cows are free to use the roads with other vehicles... Jaywalking is a norm there, but criminally frowned upon here. Well, I guess its true that many Singaporeans jaywalk too but its the mentality of committing the offence that is . They think its their right to jaywalk.

I've driven behind seemingly deaf people who cannot hear my car horn. No choice but I have to adapt to their behaviour by driving like a tortoise if they walk carelessly in front of my vehicle.

Illegal gathering is not just 5 or more people la. See the penal code instead of hearsay and speculation.

Unlawful assembly141. An assembly of 5 or more persons is designated an “unlawful assembly”, if the common object of the persons composing that assembly is — (a) to overawe by criminal force, or show of criminal force, the Legislative or Executive Government, or any public servant in the exercise of the lawful power of such public servant;

(b) to resist the execution of any law, or of any legal process;

(c) to commit any offence;

(d) by means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to any person, to take or obtain possession of any property, or to deprive any person of the enjoyment of a right of way, or of the use of water or other incorporeal right of which he is in possession or enjoyment, or to enforce any right or supposed right; or

(e) by means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to compel any person to do what he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do what he is legally entitled to do.

Hey, they can safely cross a cross junction diagonally. Amazing skill is needed. I feel that the bus driver is at fault here. Likely didnt check before doing the left swerve.
    Last edited by Poon; 09-12-13 at 21:28.

Yup... its a very different road culture there. I heard from my relatives who visited India comment that cows are free to use the roads with other vehicles... Jaywalking is a norm there, but criminally frowned upon here. Well, I guess its true that many Singaporeans jaywalk too but its the mentality of committing the offence that is . They think its their right to jaywalk.

I've driven behind seemingly deaf people who cannot hear my car horn. No choice but I have to adapt to their behaviour by driving like a tortoise if they walk carelessly in front of my vehicle.
    Hey they are skillful in J walking. Diagonal across a cross junction. I've seen it before. Anyway, they are basically much more amiable than the attitude Ang Mor Cyclist who tried to provoke a driver by jamming his bicycle brakes in front of cars on the road. If 400 such attitude ang mors around may result in more than rioting.

Quote Originally Posted by Poon View Post
    Hey they are skillful in J walking. Diagonal across a cross junction. I've seen it before. Anyway, they are basically much more amiable than the attitude Ang Mor Cyclist who tried to provoke a driver by jamming his bicycle brakes in front of cars on the road. If 400 such attitude ang mors around may result in more than rioting.
    That would have been a very different experience indeed! Anyway, J walking is always an irresponsible behaviour (I have been irresponsible too). They think they are not hurting others therefore its fine but people around are watching and learning from them. If all as skilful as them then ok but some may not be as skilful...

u all should try vietnam. how to cross the street there. if you don't J walk u cannot cross the street. key is to be in sync with the bikes and they see u. much said vietnam traffic speeds are slower than cars here. maybe 30-40. here do that u get run down.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

To be fair, Singaporeans also do jaywalking, including me, sometimes.

But our jaywalking is to make sure that there is not much car or the cars are far away, then we walk, unlike them, they just walk across even though the car is just in front of them. Some of them even worst (not only Little India), listen to MP3 or talking to the handpone and cross the road without looking. There was once, our car was just in front of the pedestrian and he just walked across (talking to the phone) in front of our car.

Maybe should have more traffic lights or overhead bridges at some places where there are lots of cars + lots of people. Some places really have lots of cars, and traffic light or overhead bridge are so far away or don't have these 2 functions at all that we have no choice.
    Last edited by irisng; 10-12-13 at 07:40.

in india, hit-and-run accidents and corpses along the road is a way of life. if we view what and how these FTs are used to, it certainly explains (not that we should condone) their behaviour on our roads.

this is why i had stated and am still reiterating - immigrants must adapt to local culture!

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    To be fair, Singaporeans also do jaywalking, including me, sometimes.

But our jaywalking is to make sure that there is not much car or the cars are far away, then we walk, unlike them, they just walk across even though the car is just in front of them. Some of them even worst (not only Little India), listen to MP3 or talking to the handpone and cross the road without looking. There was once, our car was just in front of the pedestrian and he just walked across (talking to the phone) in front of our car.

Maybe should have more traffic lights or overhead bridges at some places where there are lots of cars + lots of people. Some places really have lots of cars, and traffic light or overhead bridge are so far away or don't have these 2 functions at all that we have no choice.
    Like you pointed out, even at traffic junctions or pedestrian crossing, they just walk without looking too... traffic lights are not gonna solve that problem... they must be educated... or made to feel the pinch like a traffic fine... that will make them pay attention to road conditions... for their own good...

I suggest to the gov a long term solution.

Make it mandatory for companies to allow off days evenly across the week. No more off day on Sunday only.

This practically cut down the crowd by at least 6 times. And the effect go beyond that. If there are no friends to meet, they may not even go.
    Last edited by AK47; 10-12-13 at 21:47.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    I suggest to the gov a solution.

Make it mandatory for companies to allow off days evenly across the week. No more off day on Sunday only.

If there are no friends to meet, there may not even go.
    With no friend and no place to go, they feel more trapped inside, may just brew more smaller scale riots on the other days instead.

Scatter them, as Little India is just too crowded already, unsure how Gov fail to realize this and catch off guard by that little bit.
    A bottle of Lafite '82 for all my coffeeshop friends yesterday...many don't know what is it....haha...

Quote Originally Posted by walkthetiger View Post
    With no friend and no place to go, they feel more trapped inside, may just brew more smaller scale riots on the other days instead.

Scatter them, as Little India is just too crowded already, unsure how Gov fail to realize this and catch off guard by that little bit.
    Seriously where other places that are suitable?

While they are free to go anywhere they like, they are likely to congregate in little India. Best is still to cut down the size of crowd but not restrict movement. Let them go in smaller numbers and easier for authority to control.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Seriously where other places that are suitable?

While they are free to go anywhere they like, they are likely to congregate in little India. Best is still to cut down the size of crowd but not restrict movement. Let them go in smaller numbers and easier for authority to control.

if I am their employer... I would organize cricket games for them ...

have friendly matches at Cricket clubs with the ang mohs ...

Like you pointed out, even at traffic junctions or pedestrian crossing, they just walk without looking too... traffic lights are not gonna solve that problem... they must be educated... or made to feel the pinch like a traffic fine... that will make them pay attention to road conditions... for their own good...
    Is true also, they need to be educated. In fact all FW must be taught of our country culture and laws first before assigned a job to them. They should not bring along their bad habits to our country and spoil our reputation or influence others. I think most of the FW are taught of only their COMPANIES rules and regulations and NOT OUR COUNTRY.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    Is true also, they need to be educated. In fact all FW must be taught of our country culture and laws first before assigned a job to them. They should not bring along their bad habits to our country and spoil our reputation or influence others. I think most of the FW are taught of only their COMPANIES rules and regulations and NOT OUR COUNTRY.
    Like domestic helpers who are trained well and introduced to norms such as HDB living, etc, these other sector of FW should also receive similar orientation...

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    Illegal gathering is not just 5 or more people la. See the penal code instead of hearsay and speculation.

Unlawful assembly141. An assembly of 5 or more persons is designated an “unlawful assembly”, if the common object of the persons composing that assembly is — (a) to overawe by criminal force, or show of criminal force, the Legislative or Executive Government, or any public servant in the exercise of the lawful power of such public servant;

(b) to resist the execution of any law, or of any legal process;

(c) to commit any offence;

(d) by means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to any person, to take or obtain possession of any property, or to deprive any person of the enjoyment of a right of way, or of the use of water or other incorporeal right of which he is in possession or enjoyment, or to enforce any right or supposed right; or

(e) by means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to compel any person to do what he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do what he is legally entitled to do.
    thanks, interesting read.
    so if more than 5 people plot to execute (a),(b),(c),(d),(e) but haven't execute yet, they can be arrested for "pre-crime".

but if 4 or less people plan to execute (a),(b),(c),(d),(e), they cannot be arrested beforehand. they have to execute first before police can arrest them. so they can talk loud-loud in coffeeshop and they are still safe from arrest ?
    or is there another section in penal code that allows police to arrest 2 persons talking about what crime they are going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    thanks, interesting read.
    so if more than 5 people plot to execute (a),(b),(c),(d),(e) but haven't execute yet, they can be arrested for "pre-crime".

but if 4 or less people plan to execute (a),(b),(c),(d),(e), they cannot be arrested beforehand. they have to execute first before police can arrest them. so they can talk loud-loud in coffeeshop and they are still safe from arrest ?
    or is there another section in penal code that allows police to arrest 2 persons talking about what crime they are going to do?
    i suppose there is. if there is such a simple loophole that criminals can exploit, there would be chaos liao.

don't forget there's the ISA act where a suspect can be detained without trial

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    if I am their employer... I would organize cricket games for them ...

have friendly matches at Cricket clubs with the ang mohs ...
    good idea

I collect gate receipt