Thread: Jobs

Default Jobs

I know this is property forum, but a few of my friends have lost their jobs. So they are no longer talking about buying the next property. Most of them are not selling either, only one guy has sold his landed property.

The general feedback is that it is extremely difficult to land a job now.

Any tips?

Almost all our jobs are vulnerable these days I think so it is important to plan ahead ie test the market off and on...see if we can get overseas jobs or have a backup plan in case we lose our jobs like many get standby taxi license or give tuition in their spare time or get a real estate license..
    My spouse has been off and on jobless ever since our marriage more than 10 years ago and that is why I want to find a way out by renting singapore properties and living overseas or with inlaws....lucky for me my job is still relatively protected for now....

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post
    I know this is property forum, but a few of my friends have lost their jobs. So they are no longer talking about buying the next property. Most of them are not selling either, only one guy has sold his landed property.

Any tips?
    Bro, banking industry ???

Are they in their 40s and older? This age range is vulnerable to age discrimination, unless you are in a very specialized industry. A relative of mine, in his 40s and an engineer by training, has been without a job since his last retrenchment in his 40s. He is learning another skill.

Recession proof jobs include education and health care. Can consider switching to these 2 industries but of course has to go for skill training.

yes, banking industry AND > 40 years old.

I met my lucky star recently and since then have been smooth sailing.

While searching for that long term job, consider meaningful part time or temp work.

You never know they may even offer perm post.

Psycho yourself to be positive and enjoy networking.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Any tips?
    yr friends is young or old? if old juz concentrate on milking their cash cows lah ...

Get passive income while you can, no matter how small. Take calculated risk, instead of playing safe if time is on yourside. Pay a little bit more for quality investment, such as ABSD.

most of them are luckily having some kind of passive income: rental and dividends. But somehow they still prefer gainfully employed - a matter of Asian culture?

yes, banking industry AND > 40 years old.
    Bro, in the past, rich 50 then diff to find job....

Internet has made people smarter and better which made the redundant age shorter....

be your own boss, ever since I left NS 15 years, never look back

just don't ask me what type of business to go into

most of them are luckily having some kind of passive income: rental and dividends. But somehow they still prefer gainfully employed - a matter of Asian culture?
    At least they already have a backup plan. So, it is not really that bad for them. It is a matter of some adjustment to the new reality. For sure, the loss of a stable income will mean that they have to control their spending and investment if the job were the main source of income.

Nonetheless, it may be a good time to think and work on something that they like to do (ie. follow the heart) but have never been able to do previously because of their work.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by puffer_fish View Post
    be your own boss, ever since I left NS 15 years, never look back

just don't ask me what type of business to go into
    IMHO undertaker business is the most recession proof. Plus it is not everybody's cup of tea due to the perceived macabre nature of the business.

Any tips?
    Unemployment is >4%. 1.8% is full employment.

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/93388

Go to jobstreet website or get employment agency to help.

always must keep up to date. in the finance industry is very elastic. when market boom they hire very fast. when down the shed very fast and the young with lots of energy tend to do better. Old folks have to work harder to keep climbing.

thats by nature of most MNC. the smart thing to do is now get a new skill or if in the younger better days saved and set a side $ for another business or passive income.

The old saying Save for a raining day always hold true. So is always plan for the future.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Old folks have to work harder to keep climbing.
    What a silly suggestion to ask old folks to work harder than the young.
    You mean you didn't work hard when you were young?
    I sometimes worked 20 hours in a day when I was young, you mean now I should try to work 25 hours in a day?

Old folks should use their networking and expertise, rather than competing directly with the young on working hours.
    Last edited by richwang; 21-11-13 at 08:06.

What a silly suggestion to ask old folks to work harder than the young.
    You mean you didn't work hard when you were young?
    I sometimes worked 20 hours in a day when I was young, you mean now I should try to work 25 hours in a day?

Old folks should use their networking and expertise, rather than competing directly with the young on working hours.
    Wow bro, how did you do that?
    It was definitely not in vain, right?

Actually, we must find ways to make money work hard for us, rather than the other way round.