Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend effective measures to prevent pte ppty prices from soaring?

Default Recommend effective measures to prevent pte ppty prices from soaring?

Our policy makers had came up with numerous cooling measures to slow down the escalation of our pte ppty prices. Volume has indeed dropped "decently" while prices moderated "slightly".

However, ppty prices is still very high as compared to current income levels. Do you feel that every of the measures that has been implemented so far is effective in lowering our ppty prices to a more reasonable & affordable level and prevent speculations?

Personally, I feel that :-

1.CPF shd not be allowed to be used for 2nd or subsequent ppty.

2. Only can loan up till 50% for 2nd ppty, 25% for 3rd ppty & no loans for 4th & subsequent ppty.

3. ABSD shd be removed as seller will definitely pass this extra cost to the subsequent buyers; hence it causes prices to increase at a rate higher than wat it shd be.

4. SSD can be restructured in the following way to discourage flipping and prevent big volume of ppty being supplied into the market after the lock-in period has been fullfilled.
    - Sell within 1 yr à 15% SSD payable.
    - Sell within 2 yrs à 10% SSD payable.
    - Sell within 2.5 yrs à 3% SSD payable.
    - Sell within 3 yrs à 2% SSD payable.
    - Sell within 3.5 yrs à 1% SSD payable.
    -Sell upon TOP à no SSD.

5. Using % of one’s pay can be very misleading in ascertaining how much one can borrow. A person earning only $3k with a loan of 1.8k (60% TDSR) is in a much risky position than another one earning $10k wif a loan of $7k (70% TDSR). Hence I feel tat TDSR limit shd be staggered in the following way:
    - Annual salary of below 45k à TDSR of 50%.
    - Annual salary of 45k to below 60k à TDSR of 55%.
    - Annual salary of 60k to below 75k à TDSR of 60%.
    - Annual salary of 75k to below 90k à TDSR of 65%.
    - Annual salary of 90k & above à TDSR of 70%.

The above r some of my humble suggestions Welcome discussion from forummers. Wat gd suggestions do u have?

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Our policy makers had came up with numerous cooling measures to slow down the escalation of our pte ppty prices. Volume has indeed dropped "decently" while prices moderated "slightly".

However, ppty prices is still very high as compared to current income levels. Do you feel that every of the measures that has been implemented so far is effective in lowering our ppty prices to a more reasonable & affordable level and prevent speculations?

2. Only can loan up till 50% for 2nd ppty, 25% for 3rd ppty & no loans for 4th & subsequent ppty.

3. ABSD shd be removed as seller will definitely pass this extra cost to the subsequent buyers; hence it causes prices to increase at a rate higher than wat it shd be.

4. SSD can be restructured in the following way to discourage flipping and prevent big volume of ppty being supplied into the market after the lock-in period has been fullfilled.
    -Sell upon TOP à no SSD.

5. Using % of one’s pay can be very misleading in ascertaining how much one can borrow. A person earning only $3k with a loan of 1.8k (60% TDSR) is in a much risky position than another one earning $10k wif a loan of $7k (70% TDSR). Hence I feel tat TDSR limit shd be staggered in the following way:

The above r some of my humble suggestions Welcome discussion from forummers. Wat gd suggestions do u have?

chey, don't need to have soooooo many complicated CMs. take a leaf from ultimate leader Kim: watch (south) korean dramas, i execute you!!!

Buy second property, I execute you!!!

-Sell upon TOP à no SSD.

i think rule 1 and 2 can kill most pple leow..
    Ong lai ah!

-Sell upon TOP à no SSD.

It depends whether are you a seller or buyer.Seller always want sell high.Buyer always want to buy low.If you are rich and want that property badly all CMs have no meaning.Die die also must buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Blair View Post
    Buyer always want to buy low.If you are rich and want that property badly all CMs have no meaning.Die die also must buy.
    it is true tat buyers who wanted ppty badly will be willing to buy at ridiculous prices. if for own stay there is nothing much one could say, but if it is meant for investment purpose, I would question the relative profitability of such rationale.

3. ABSD shd be removed ...
    huh ? this will then be a *heating* measure instead

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    huh ? this will then be a *heating* measure instead
    how many, do u tink r deterred by absd but not tdsr?
    those who r hit by tdsr & hv no bullets left, wif or without absd makes no diff to them.
    those still wif plenty of bullets & die die muz buy, wif absd they will still buy, as long as the pricing is attractive enuff.
    so do I foresee there will be a mad rush after absd is remove? I highly doubt so.

Cooling measures are reactive measures to the market conditions. Usually, it is a tad too slow and effects are hard to measure. Personally, I disliked cooling measures around stamp duties as these directly go to government without reducing the risk for the buyer. The key risk in properties is in the outstanding loan amount (leverage). So, these stamp duties increase the risk at the onset for the buyer.

Financial cooling measures are the best measures in my opinion as it ensured that people do not over leveraged themselves and thus reducing the risk. If price is too high, you can always reduce the TDSR or increase the downpayment % instead.

In due course, when price stabilize or reduce, I hope the government will start to remove the stamp duties cooling measures FIRST. When that happen, it will be a tad too slow to save the market.

Quote Originally Posted by elmo View Post
    Personally, I disliked cooling measures around stamp duties as these directly go to government without reducing the risk for the buyer. The key risk in properties is in the outstanding loan amount (leverage). So, these stamp duties increase the risk at the onset for the buyer.
    cooling measures such as ABSD & SSD can only deter the problem temporary, but the root of the problem remained unresolved!
    worse still, it created another set of problem!

Quote Originally Posted by onglai View Post
    i think rule 1 and 2 can kill most pple leow..

good to know that I am not "most people' ...

I have never utilized my CPF for property..

Maybe I should IF I buy another

cooling measures such as ABSD & SSD can only deter the problem temporary, but the root of the problem remained unresolved!
    worse still, it created another set of problem!

agree

but this has always been the way our govt works ....

1 measure don't work ...add another.... and another ....and another ...

The authority should REMOVE the measure that doesn't work and implement another ...

COE failed to stop car population ... add ERP ... ERP still don't work ... INCREASE ERP pricing...

they should just go back to the drawing board, start all over and see what / where went wrong ...and go from there ...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post

wat's yr reason for not wanting to use yr cpf?

agree

The authority should REMOVE the measure that doesn't work and implement another ...

COE failed to stop car population ... add ERP ... ERP still don't work ... INCREASE ERP pricing...

they should just go back to the drawing board, start all over and see what / where went wrong ...and go from there ...

to be honest for the property market scenario...I really think they have succeeded in engineering a "soft landing". I am sure without the CMs, the market would have skyrocketed... Now it appears that we can somehow anticipate ....My take is sluggish demand, especially with QE coming to an end...

And I'm quite sure that the Gahmen will not remove the cooling measures unless the market crashes....

The market now is a lot more stable...I think Bros who buy now will not expect significant gains in the next few years....therefore if prices are not right,don't buy...

Quote Originally Posted by elmo View Post
    Cooling measures are reactive measures to the market conditions. Usually, it is a tad too slow and effects are hard to measure. Personally, I disliked cooling measures around stamp duties as these directly go to government without reducing the risk for the buyer. The key risk in properties is in the outstanding loan amount (leverage). So, these stamp duties increase the risk at the onset for the buyer.

Financial cooling measures are the best measures in my opinion as it ensured that people do not over leveraged themselves and thus reducing the risk. If price is too high, you can always reduce the TDSR or increase the downpayment % instead.

In due course, when price stabilize or reduce, I hope the government will start to remove the stamp duties cooling measures FIRST. When that happen, it will be a tad too slow to save the market.
    Excellent points made by Elmo! You are very perceptive! Bravo!

I've got an ex-colleague who used 100% cash for his property. His rational is CPF interest rates are far too good for a zero risk vehicle! Might as well leave it there and let it grow! Wow, you are the 2nd pax I know who does that.

agree

They are all a form of revenue. Yi Jian Shuang Diao strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by PC08 View Post
    I've got an ex-colleague who used 100% cash for his property. His rational is CPF interest rates are far too good for a zero risk vehicle! Might as well leave it there and let it grow! Wow, you are the 2nd pax I know who does that.
    but many dun feel secure leaving them there ... cos policy makers suka suka peng lai peng kee .... who noes, one might not hv a chance to use them.

but many dun feel secure leaving them there ... cos policy makers suka suka peng lai peng kee .... who noes, one might not hv a chance to use them.
    He is a PR who intends to leave Singapore and cash out all the CPF money ultimately. Quite a smart guy.

We are SG, so we share the same view. My OA is ZERO most of the time!

He is a PR who intends to leave Singapore and cash out all the CPF money ultimately. Quite a smart guy.
    if say he use cpf to finance his ppty instead, any complication when he leave sg for gd?
    cos to me, a PR use cash or cpf is the same, except for the interest portion.

We are SG, so we share the same view. My OA is ZERO most of the time!
    u sure we shared the same view? my OA hv yet to fall below 5 digits wor!

if say he use cpf to finance his ppty instead, any complication when he leave sg for gd?
    cos to me, a PR use cash or cpf is the same, except for the interest portion.

u sure we shared the same view? my OA hv yet to fall below 5 digits wor!
    No complications if he leaves for good. Fat CPF, at least 1 million bucks upon retirement.

If you don't 100% trust CPF, then we share the same view lor. I'd rather die than to pump in more fresh cash into CPF kind.

No complications if he leaves for good. Fat CPF, at least 1 million bucks upon retirement.

If you don't 100% trust CPF, then we share the same view lor. I'd rather die than to pump in more fresh cash into CPF kind.
    diff one, I trust cpf cos tat's my $. I juz dun trust the kaypo ppl who wanna help me safeguard instead

foreigners trust our cpf system more den locals!
    wat a mockery!

diff one, I trust cpf cos tat's my $. I juz dun trust the kaypo ppl who wanna help me safeguard instead

foreigners trust our cpf system more den locals!
    wat a mockery!
    Oooo .. then we have different views wor.

OA jeep = chut. Quite empty one.

My projection for min. sum is 200-300k when I retire, so how to trust a moving target?

Friend, foreigners intention is to go home end of the day, they are not restricted by the min. sum lor.

Government is not afraid of property rising if Singapore household income can move up in tandem. What the government is doing now is to force company to improve their productivity so that wages will rise.

Ultimately what the government need to do is to keep basic housing affordable and let private property rise along with economic growth.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Government is not afraid of property rising if Singapore household income can move up in tandem. What the government is doing now is to force company to improve their productivity so that wages will rise.

Ultimately what the government need to do is to keep basic housing affordable and let private property rise along with economic growth.
    Private property rise along with economic growth is ok...
    But if too many people getting richer from property will be a problem.

Income should be like a pyramid.
    The higher the pyramid, there should be less people earning higher income.
    There must be more people at the lower end of pyramid earning less to do the "work"
    If there are more people at the top than bottom of pyramid...who wants to "work"?

Quote Originally Posted by GIG View Post

There must be more people at the lower end of pyramid earning less to do the "work"
    If there are more people at the top than bottom of pyramid...who wants to "work"?
    Correct.

R33 said "Ultimately what the government need to do is to keep basic housing affordable and let private property rise along with economic growth." - I think this is not likely to happen, as everything are relative....

Quote Originally Posted by walkthetiger View Post
    Correct.

R33 said "Ultimately what the government need to do is to keep basic housing affordable and let private property rise along with economic growth." - I think this is not likely to happen, as everything are relative....
    n dash the aspiration of all the singaporean to upgrade ? that will be political suscide. The aspiration of the people to upgrade are very very strong.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

So if private property rise with economic growth and HDB don't. then we have a getto class forming. Who cannot cross the chasm if they want to. and its not fair only certain section benefit from the economical growth of the country. HDB prices rises are part of sharing the wealth gain with the country economic growth.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

That is not wrong. but 100% cash for housing is not very rational unless very cash rich.

The right thing for now is borrow cheap from bank and keep $ in CPF as the interest is higher. when interest raises. the cost of borrowing goes up. then consider using CPF to pay back.

mean time the Cash can park in some rights that pay a fix 4-5% divined……

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Looks like the cooling measures will be in force for long time...
    My guess....the 1st cooling measure to be taken off will only be
    When the rising of interest rates in US has stabilised.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...al/886994.html

SINGAPORE: Singapore's regulation and supervision of its financial sector has been assessed as among the best in the world by the International Monetary Fund.

Banks in Singapore cleared IMF's stress tests under the IMF's financial stability assessment programme (FSAP) -- meaning they are resilient to adverse global economic scenarios.

However, the IMF also highlighted some risks, including rising credit growth.

"The FSAP is a rigorous and comprehensive programme. It provided us the opportunity to be independently benchmarked against international best practices and to evaluate policy actions to address any vulnerabilities in our financial system. The assessment is a testament to MAS' long tradition of prudent regulation and supervision," said Ravi Menon, managing director of MAS.

High leverage in the economy, property prices rising to above its 2008 peak -- these are risks identified by the IMF that could pose a challenge to Singapore's financial stability.

The IMF said while these risks appear manageable, the impact will become clearer only when the interest rate cycle turns.

As Singapore takes reference from global interest rates, a spike in US interest rates -- caused by tightening monetary policy -- could be bad news for loan holders.

Song Seng Wun, a regional economist with CIMB Research, said: "If rates were to turn, especially since the bulk of mortgages here are on floating rates -- 70 per cent of mortgages are on floating rates -- that increase in interest rates can very quickly be a burden on household and businesses that borrowed."

When asked to comment on some of the report's findings, a DBS spokesperson said: "A large proportion of our mortgages relate to owner occupied properties and our delinquency rates over the years have therefore been lower than market."

Darren Tan, chief financial officer at OCBC Bank, said: "The government has put in place a series of sound macro-prudential policies to curb any excesses in the housing market and promote financial prudence among borrowers. Our home loans portfolio remains healthy with a very low level of NPLs (non-performing loans)."

In 2010, the IMF decided that Singapore is one of 25 jurisdictions with financial sectors regarded as being systemically important. These jurisdictions undertake a financial stability assessment every five years.

In this year's assessment, the IMF made recommendations on areas like credit growth, crisis management, and banks' capital buffers.

While the IMF acknowledged that Singapore banks have a low percentage of non-performing loans, risks outside Singapore now account for a larger proportion of their balance sheets as the banks expand overseas.

Mark Young, head of Asia-Pacific financial institutions at Fitch Ratings, said: "The authorities and the MAS, they have obviously strong control over the Singapore environment. However, they don't have the same amount of control over, for example, what happens in Indonesia, Malaysia or China."

OCBC, Singapore second largest bank by assets, said their core overseas markets of Malaysia, Indonesia and Greater China enables them to continue to participate in their higher rates of growth. Net interest margins in these markets are also more attractive as compared to Singapore.

Mr Tan added: "By adopting a disciplined and prudent risk management approach, we have been able to grow our exposures in these markets while maintaining a high quality asset book with low incidence of non-performing loans.

"Nonetheless, we remain vigilant to potential shocks that could have an impact on our portfolios by taking mitigating actions proactively to address such risks."

Singapore's financial sector is significantly larger than its economy. Local and foreign banks hold assets worth S$2.1 trillion (US$1.7 trillion), six times of its GDP. The banks make up the bulk of Singapore's financial sector, which also include insurance companies, and the securities market.

MAS said in a statement that it welcomes the positive assessment of Singapore's financial system and will review the recommendations and take appropriate measures.*

Depends how u tink, there are many people who work even harder to support their multiple properties, as they know their assets are not for sale, until retirement...... so productivity can still go up..... tis is a strategic plan by the top to make the people work harder to support the family and your house, just got to believe in them!