Thread: The Small Good Things in Singapore

Default The Small Good Things in Singapore

I am thinking of creating a thread to share true stories to celebrate the small good things in Singapore.

Let me start ...

This afternoon while I was enjoying my haircut, it suddenly started to rain heavily. After making my payment, the hairstylist rushed into the store room and lent me an umbrella - without me asking.

I was so touched!

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I will definitely revisit the place, maybe in a raining weekday when her business will not be that good.

I once spilled a cup of coke at centerpoint mac donald. Not only the aunty cleaned up my mess. She gave a replacement coke for free. No other mac donald in the world would do that.

Oops, wrong thread.

I was enjoying a walk on a hot day at Alexandra Waves with my date. There was a lady having trouble pushing her aged mother in wheelchair up the slope. I just automatically walked over and offered my help to clear the slope.

Seeing how happy and grateful they were made my day.

Offering assistance and kindness makes me happier than receiving it, especially when its appreciated. Therefore, Im still selfish as I only want to feel happy at having done a good deed.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

做好事不一定要人知道, but sometimes is good to be shared. Since this is a thread about a Small Good Things in Singapore, then no harm sharing whether we receive or give.

Agree, when you help people and you see that they are happy, you also feel happy but sometimes, some people simply refuse to let you help, maybe they feel inferior.

Once I was at the supermarket, I saw an handicap old man (1 hand and 1 leg have problems) trying to push his trolley up the staircase. I approached him and wanted to help him push his trolley but he swung his hand at me and asked me to get lost. After that, I think he felt bad, so he told me in a nicer tone that if I happened to see him again next time, don't help him, he will scold people one.
    Last edited by irisng; 03-11-13 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post
    I am thinking of creating a thread to share true stories to celebrate the small good things in Singapore.

Let me start ...

This afternoon while I was enjoying my haircut, it suddenly started to rain heavily. After making my payment, the hairstylist rushed into the store room and lent me an umbrella - without me asking.

I was so touched!

Thanks,
    Richard
    PS. I will definitely revisit the place, maybe in a raining weekday when her business will not be that good.
    Remember to return the umbrella hor

There are lots of kind soul in this forum too, giving advise and helping the fellow forummers to clear the doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post

Let me start ...

I was so touched!

Thanks,
    Richard
    You must be very handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    You must be very handsome.
    I feel the temperature rising

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Remember to return the umbrella hor
    You r funny !

Hi,

This is something I ll like to share after reading you guys good encounter. Though I m a Christian and would not take any credit on the incident, but certainly I think it might be a small blessing.

More than 4 years ago, while my wife still pregnant, I remember that we both boarded a bus from NEX mall on way home, the bus was very crowded. Then, there was a local couple in late 40s or early 50s sitted right beside where we were standing. The wife elbowed the husband (like very dominatingly) to give up his sit to my wife, having seen my wife was pregnant. The husband submitted though without a smile, despite my wife thank him earnestly. - Just then, the Holy Spirit (pardon me for this Christian tinggy), prompted within me, - YOU thank that MAN personally. I reacted immediatedly as a husband thank that man for his kindness to my wife, immediatedly I saw him filled w joy of appreciation.

I think it is really a man thing to want to do great and meaningful thing, but this small act of prompting did all people good. For him to be kind, I m sure is no big deal. But, it can appear just women issues to him:- wife said so, do already, thank by another woman. But, when a man thank him for the behalf of his family, it makes him fill so much different as a man.

Really nothing great on my side, but this incident really propelled me to see that sometimes a kind act ushered by a male does carry a different weight in society, and I want to praise you guys doing a great thing showing kindness (having said that, please note that I m not belittle women kindness)

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    I feel the temperature rising

Hahaha, not saying you lah.

Sorry huh.

Though below case does not happen in S'pore but it is good to share here too.
    Few months back, I went to Bangkok with my in-law's family. My sister-in-law left some souvenirs behind. Next day, we received an email from the apartment informing us that we had left something behind and she even show us the photos. She asked us whether we want them to send the souvenirs back to us or not. We told her that it would be good if she can and really, one week later, we received back the souvenirs. They didn't even charge us for the postages. We really appreciated for their honesty and the responsibility.

When I passed by CityHall MRT station today, I saw a pretty young Chinese lady assisting a very old blind Indian man all the way to the shopping mall. So harmony! I almost took a picture for them - but decided not to disturb them.