Thread: Home-owner sentenced to 7 months' jail for renting out flat to overstayer

Default Home-owner sentenced to 7 months' jail for renting out flat to overstayer

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...stayer-2013103

By Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh

A home-owner was sentenced to seven months in jail on Oct 17 for renting out her Sims Drive flat to a male Bangladesh national who was staying in Singapore illegally.
    He claimed he was a work permit holder and paid Mariam Abdullah $250 a month to stay at her flat. Mariam, 50, did not check with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) or the Ministry of Manpower before renting out her unit to him. She was arrested on Oct 9 at her home by ICA officers.
    Under the Immigration Act, homeowners found guilty of harbouring immigration offenders may be sentenced to an imprisonment of between six months to two years, and a fine not exceeding $6,000 - or both.
    On Oct 24, the 23-year-old Bangladesh national was sentenced to 10 weeks in prison and five strokes of the cane. Foreigners who overstay more than 90 days or who enter the country illegally can be jailed up to six months and be sentenced to a minimum of three strokes of the cane under the Immigration Act. In lieu of caning, offenders can be fined not more than $6,000.

Wow that's a tough punishment.
    The home owner's jail term is higher than the overstayer's...

Quote Originally Posted by sunboy77 View Post
    5 strokes of cane for overstayer. Cane is more scary and painful.

I rather go jail than to get cane. Anyone know how should we check our tenants to prevent this from happening? Any experts can share?

Quote Originally Posted by sunboy77 View Post

I wonder how they found out abt it?
    even neighbours wun noe if the tenant is illegal onot mah ...

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    5 strokes of cane for overstayer. Cane is more scary and painful.
    I heard they got soak the cane in chemical den whip one. yr flesh will surely burst open!

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    I rather go jail than to get cane. Anyone know how should we check our tenants to prevent this from happening? Any experts can share?

U can login MOM website.. i believe can check when u key in their work pass/id etc etc

hdb branch office has the relevant brochure and how to check etc. relevant for condo owners too

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I wonder how they found out abt it?
    even neighbours wun noe if the tenant is illegal onot mah ...

I heard they got soak the cane in chemical den whip one. yr flesh will surely burst open!

zhun or not (on the chemical part)??!!

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    zhun or not (on the chemical part)??!!
    I dunno my dad said he heard one when last time we commented abt rapist gena how many strokes of the cane.
    he said eg if u r supposed to get 3 strokes, they dun whip u 1 whole shot. they will whip once, treat u recover liao den schedule the next ...

any experienced ppl can enlighten us?

actually the Bangladesh quite suay leh, he din even rape still gena 5 strokes of the cane. sibeh bo hua ....

I dunno my dad said he heard one when last time we commented abt rapist gena how many strokes of the cane.
    he said eg if u r supposed to get 3 strokes, they dun whip u 1 whole shot. they will whip once, treat u recover liao den schedule the next ...

actually the Bangladesh quite suay leh, he din even rape still gena 5 strokes of the cane. sibeh bo hua ....
    i think when rapist go to jail they kenah worse than the cane.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

found this:
    http://tinyurl.com/lxjuc7b

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline View Post
    no instalment leh!
    if 24 strokes will die leh!!!

but no put chemical la, tink still ok. when young tat time I oso makan several strokes of the cane at 1 go

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz View Post
    i think when rapist go to jail they kenah worse than the cane.
    like wat? they will be raped by men?

no instalment leh!

but no put chemical la, tink still ok. when young tat time I oso makan several strokes of the cane at 1 go

caning is very cruel ...

I have seen the caning ... very very cruel ...

its true the flesh split open

which is why I am really against caning ...
    its cruelty ... Singaporeans so against cruelty to animals ... yet they don't know a thing about what prison caning is all about and say THEY DESERVE IT ...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    caning is very cruel ...

its cruelty ... Singaporeans so against cruelty to animals ... yet they don't know a thing about what prison caning is all about and say THEY DESERVE IT ...
    isn't raping even more cruel?
    some victims can die one leh ...

I feel tat only rapists ought to be canned, the rest imprisonment can liao.
    but mayb the buttocks will protest, cos it is not the organ tat commited the crime, hahaha

no instalment leh!

perhaps the initial part of the canning will be painful. would it be less painful gradually as the brain starts to shut down?

maybe canning is like branding le.

"http://wiki.bme.com/index.php?title=Branding"
    "A brand hurts less than you'd think. Most of the pain in branding is psychological. That said, a brand cauterises skin and will strike exposed nerve endings - the body's pain receptors. It only hurts for a second until the nerves are burned away (Not like a minor burn, like on your stove, which only burns the surface). However, the endorphin rush can be extreme. During the long healing period the brand will be very sore, especially if it is on a body part which flexes. "

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    perhaps the initial part of the canning will be painful. would it be less painful gradually as the brain starts to shut down?

maybe canning is like branding le.

"http://wiki.bme.com/index.php?title=Branding"
    "A brand hurts less than you'd think. Most of the pain in branding is psychological. That said, a brand cauterises skin and will strike exposed nerve endings - the body's pain receptors. It only hurts for a second until the nerves are burned away (Not like a minor burn, like on your stove, which only burns the surface). However, the endorphin rush can be extreme. During the long healing period the brand will be very sore, especially if it is on a body part which flexes. "
    it's not only the caning process that hurts. the healing will be painful too. for sure the person won't be sleeping on his back for a really long time.

how to poop? sitting will put weight on the wound - ouch. squatting will cause the wound to tear open - lagi ouch.

the incremental pain will be lesser den the initial ones, tis I agree. but tis I suppose shd only be if the same part is being hit.
    if u whip, can an experienced whipper inflict the same wound? I dun tink so.

but regardless of how much less painful the subsequent canes r, if can make yr flesh bleed, sure will be very, very, very painful one ....

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    it's not only the caning process that hurts. the healing will be painful too. for sure the person won't be sleeping on his back for a really long time.

how to poop? sitting will put weight on the wound - ouch. squatting will cause the wound to tear open - lagi ouch.
    u will hv to shee shee & poo by standing lor, haha

is illegal overstaying a victimless crime?

is illegal overstaying a victimless crime?
    well if he overstayed and committed crime, there is simply no way of tracking him down since he's a phantom to the system. if the punishment is too lenient, it sends a wrong signal and we may end up having an 'underground' population.

the offence and punishment are clearly enshrined in the immigration act and thus, it is for the legislators and parliament to debate about this.

i think so... you want to confirm this?
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz View Post
    i think so... you want to confirm this?
    I will be interested to cfm but how leh?

They wont be raped by men lah, but will be bullied by other prisioners. Becos those big brother type of prisioners see such people no up. It is very unman to rape a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wynyard View Post
    They wont be raped by men lah, but will be bullied by other prisioners. Becos those big brother type of prisioners see such people no up. It is very unman to rape a woman.
    u watched too much jian yu feng yun liao la

Hahaha... no lah, I have a friend's friends who are working in a prison. I always ask him to share prison stories with me

how to poop? sitting will put weight on the wound - ouch. squatting will cause the wound to tear open - lagi ouch.[/QUOTE]

Just had a good laugh..great start for long week ahead !

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

If you see people being punished by law more severely for cruelty to animals than to humans, then we know we are not there yet as a genuine civil society... It seems that some animals lives and dignity is much higher than humans...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    caning is very cruel ...

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...stayer-2013103

By Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh

A home-owner was sentenced to seven months in jail on Oct 17 for renting out her Sims Drive flat to a male Bangladesh national who was staying in Singapore illegally.
    He claimed he was a work permit holder and paid Mariam Abdullah $250 a month to stay at her flat. Mariam, 50, did not check with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) or the Ministry of Manpower before renting out her unit to him. She was arrested on Oct 9 at her home by ICA officers.
    Under the Immigration Act, homeowners found guilty of harbouring immigration offenders may be sentenced to an imprisonment of between six months to two years, and a fine not exceeding $6,000 - or both.
    On Oct 24, the 23-year-old Bangladesh national was sentenced to 10 weeks in prison and five strokes of the cane. Foreigners who overstay more than 90 days or who enter the country illegally can be jailed up to six months and be sentenced to a minimum of three strokes of the cane under the Immigration Act. In lieu of caning, offenders can be fined not more than $6,000.
    A fine would be more appropriate for M A if it's her 1st offence... (Would be great if Mr Ravi had come to her aid...)