Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here is MCST member/chairman??

Default Anybody here is MCST member/chairman??

Please share your experiences...GOOD or BAD ...i am just curious
    cos always wondered what its like to be part of MCST...

Seems like the AGM's are all VERY dramatic
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Bro, only volunteer if you

1. Have too much spare time on hands
    2. Intend to leverage your own contacts as suppliers
    3. Have a serious lack of social life
    4. Need to feel 'in control' at all times; or
    5. Love your condo so much that you would do everything possible to have a chance to affect its maintenance and upkeep (just attending agm can vote already and question the mcst, no need to be on the commitee).

Fyi, my mm which is mostly tenanted, usually is the penthouse owner occupiers who are on the committee. And even have to beg people to attend the agm else motion cannot be passed (pun intended).

Besides, if you dont have financial background or know how to handle and manage suppliers etc, there is little that you can do on the committee I believe.

All admin and routine work are handled by the condo manager company anyways. We pay maintenance fees for exactly that.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by radha08 View Post

bro, u intend to run for election after yr big 5 is completed huh, haha
    honestly, I would prefer mcst to be run by ppl wif acctg background. They will do a better job, easily

You need a mix of people with various skills n experience - accountancy, contract mgt, engineering, law etc if possible as you will need to deal with a whole variety of issues.

Most important is you need a whole lot of common sense and good communication skills. Not all AGMs are drama, most are dull and empty and hv problem getting people into the mcst.

To be effective and to know when you are really doing, you need to read and have a good understanding of the building maint n strata mgt act. This will be your day n night bible without which you will be at the mercy of the managing agent.

Attendance will go up when there are issues that hit the pocket - parking restrictions n charges, raising of maint charges, etc. Basically, you will enjoy a quiet life when things are going smoothly and you will enjoy a life of hell when things go wrong. You will be the complaints dept whether you are working out at the gym or having a swim at the pool.

But at the end of the day, you will feel a sense of satisfaction becos you have a say and influence in how things are run. Instead of growling and barking like a mad dog, you can do something abt it.
    Last edited by acidic.straw; 27-10-13 at 10:24.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Being inside mcst, the members got special treatment/benefits?

To be a good chairman, you need to be a people person, you must be likable, very good at dealing with aunties and uncles, and CANNOT be hot headed or take things personal.

Ideally, the MSTC should make up of engineers, lawyers, accountants, procurement professionals, or even retirees
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    honestly, I would prefer mcst to be run by ppl wif acctg background. They will do a better job, easily
    You havent even collect your keys to your first property how are you supposed to know that people will accounting background WILL do a better job "EASILY"

Perhaps you think that running MCST is all about managing money and petty cash.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by mygeemeel View Post
    Being inside mcst, the members got special treatment/benefits?
    The only special thing we enjoyed is free coffee/snacks during council meetings which can last for hours at times. Best is to keep yourselves "clean" else a simple anonymous complaint by anyone who holds a grudge against you will lead to a certain organisation inviting you for an overnight chat and free coffee

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw View Post
    You need a mix of people with various skills n experience - accountancy, contract mgt, engineering, law etc if possible as you will need to deal with a whole variety of issues.

Most important is you need a whole lot of common sense and good communication skills. Not all AGMs are drama, most are dull and empty and hv problem getting people into the mcst.

To be effective and to know when you are really doing, you need to read and have a good understanding of the building maint n strata mgt act. This will be your day n night bible without which you will be at the mercy of the managing agent.

Attendance will go up when there are issues that hit the pocket - parking restrictions n charges, raising of maint charges, etc. Basically, you will enjoy a quiet life when things are going smoothly and you will enjoy a life of hell when things go wrong. You will be the complaints dept whether you are working out at the gym or having a swim at the pool.

But at the end of the day, you will feel a sense of satisfaction becos you have a say and influence in how things are run. Instead of growling and barking like a mad dog, you can do something abt it.
    still will nid mad dogs wat
    running a condo is machiam runing a biz. Nid core expertise fm engineering & procurement to run the biz, den nid the accountants or auditors to serve as watchdogs to enforce internal controls & ensure compliances wif those laws etc.
    Nid ppl wif legal background?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    You havent even collect your keys to your first property how are you supposed to know that people will accounting background WILL do a better job "EASILY"

Perhaps u r mistaken tat accountants r dealing wif management of $ & petty cash only.

They r certainly more qualified than ppl who:

1. defames, make provocative & derogative remarks on others.
    2. Enforcing personal opinions as facts
    3. Ill mannered and hv no regards on others opinions.

Do u wan to dispute the above claims on u?

Dear Rev R33,
    Do u not agree with me fully, without doubts or hesitation, on my assertion tat it will be a havoc to deploy someone of the follwing calibre to run the mgt of a condo well?

Actually why waste time on RCR? RCR is not exact CCR, like some half past size region, and yet you want to be so how lian in this forum.

Actually no money just buy OCR loh why must suffocate yourself to buy tiny apartment in RCR?
    Last edited by mermaid; 27-10-13 at 11:34.

Just attended one yesterday. It is the profile of owners and experience of MA that are important. It went well even with a slight increase of maintenance fund. Residents are keen to take up roles in the MC. Will be attending another one in two weeks time. Just hope it will be peaceful one as the last one was fiery when people get too personal.

still will nid mad dogs wat
    running a condo is machiam runing a biz. Nid core expertise fm engineering & procurement to run the biz, den nid the accountants or auditors to serve as watchdogs to enforce internal controls & ensure compliances wif those laws etc.
    Nid ppl wif legal background?
    Ya, some mad dogs help to keep the mcst on their toes but maybe toothless ones can already

Legal background is definitely a plus but surprisingly, I've had engineers, insurance agents, accountants, civil servants, managers but NOT one lawyer ever served in the MCST....maybe there are some in other condos.

Quote Originally Posted by waterviewer88 View Post
    Ya, some mad dogs help to keep the mcst on their toes but maybe toothless ones can already

Legal background is definitely a plus but surprisingly, I've had engineers, insurance agents, accountants, civil servants, managers but NOT one lawyer ever served in the MCST....maybe there are some in other condos.
    accountants r watchdogs, not bloodhounds! haha

U wanna noe y u r most likely not be seeing lawyers in mcst?
    Cos they hv a more impt role to play in our society; to run for the real election & ensure tat singaporeans' rights & entitlements r being safeguarded & not being short changed

Yes, how are you supposed to know what makes good chairman when you haven't collected your keys.
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...23&postcount=7

This is precisely why you attract so much crap on this board. Hold others to standards you can't keep yourself.

This one has to be world record in R33 hypocrisy ... The very next post!

Actually, you have not only not collected your keys , for all we know you haven't even bought anything at all as you refuse to even answer a yes / no question on the matter.
    (again while demanding others answer yes/no questions from you)

Ps your original supposition that you need to have keys to your apartment to make a good comment on this matter is based on what ?
    Pulled straight out of your rear end as usual.

not really just a general question cos my previous condo as well as my friends and relatives condos all have a similar functioning....seems like during AGM there is a lot of banging table going on but REST of the year all the MCST members MIA(missing in action)..

So was just wondering what others feel about being part of the mcst...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

not really just a general question cos my previous condo as well as my friends and relatives condos all have a similar functioning....seems like during AGM there is a lot of banging table going on but REST of the year all the MCST members MIA(missing in action)..

wah! Bang table?! so rich live in condo yet behave until so uncilvilised?

juz like DC33 has pointed out, the profile of the member is impt. But profile is not merely the educational background, occupation, the resposibility, integrity & creditibility of the chosen member is oso very impt. but the qn is, how do one noe?
    If the wrong type of ppl who doesnt hv the best interest of the condo go in, will be jialat leh.

Can go n do a credit rating wif other condo on the said member bo?

wah! Bang table?! so rich live in condo yet behave until so uncilvilised?

juz like DC33 has pointed out, the profile of the member is impt. But profile is not merely the educational background, occupation, the resposibility, integrity & creditibility of the chosen member is oso very impt. but the qn is, how do one noe?
    If the wrong type of ppl who doesnt hv the best interest of the condo go in, will be jialat leh.

Can go n do a credit rating wif other condo on the said member bo?
    u will be suprised people living in condo are worse behaved than hdb dwellers...my PERSONAL experience

hdb dwellers...easy going and down to earth

Landed dwellers...proud and mostly keep to themselves unless u know them for DONKEY years

condo dwellers...quite a few like to act like BIG F complain this complain that

anyway like i said this is MY personal experience others may have different views

Perhaps u r mistaken tat accountants r dealing wif management of $ & petty cash only.

They r certainly more qualified than ppl who:

1. defames, make provocative & derogative remarks on others.
    2. Enforcing personal opinions as facts
    3. Ill mannered and hv no regards on others opinions.

Do u wan to dispute the above claims on u?

Dear Rev R33,
    Do u not agree with me fully, without doubts or hesitation, on my assertion tat it will be a havoc to deploy someone of the follwing calibre to run the mgt of a condo well?

In case people starting thinking that you are an empty vessel going around give empty talk. perhaps you could share with us use an accountant can do a better job as an chairman of committee "EASILY" ?

Very simple and direct question.

Quote Originally Posted by EBD View Post
    Yes, how are you supposed to know what makes good chairman when you haven't collected your keys.
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...23&postcount=7

This is precisely why you attract so much crap on this board. Hold others to standards you can't keep yourself.

This one has to be world record in R33 hypocrisy ... The very next post!

Actually, you have not only not collected your keys , for all we know you haven't even bought anything at all as you refuse to even answer a yes / no question on the matter.
    (again while demanding others answer yes/no questions from you)

Ps your original supposition that you need to have keys to your apartment to make a good comment on this matter is based on what ?
    Pulled straight out of your rear end as usual.
    HDB keys got power boh??

In case people starting thinking that you are an empty vessel going around give empty talk. perhaps you could share with us use an accountant can do a better job as an chairman of committee "EASILY" ?

Very simple and direct question.
    my humble opinion, stand to be corrected.

1. Set up control procedures to enforce adherence to guidelines & procedures laid down in AGM, EGM.

2. Ensure tat collections fm booking of facilities, maintenance fees are properly recorded, deposited & accounted for.

3. Ensure tat expenses incurred has been properly approved before commitment, all payments r made to genuine suppliers with proper receipts.

4. Ensure more than 1 quotations has been obtained with regards to procurement of services to ensure arm's length of svs provided, no conflicts of interests & prevent procurement personal to profiteering fm it.

5. Ensure there is proper segregation of duties to prevent fraud, misappropriation & misuse of sinking funds for unauthorised purposes.

6. Conduct surprise check on the custodian of petty cash.

7. Prepare cashflow statement to monitor the financial liquidity of the funds. Propose if add'l funds r reqd.

8. Prepare income & expense statement to monitor the usage of funds.

9. Perform forecast of expenses shd major repair/renovation is reqd.

10. Ensure timely submission of tax to regulatory bodies.

11. Perform audit to ensure completness, accuracy & reliabilty of the whole book keeping process.

bro, how do they go missing? Better check if money go missing too ....anyway, you can request for minutes of the council mtg and see who the ones who chow-keng...maybe chairman..lol
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

my humble opinion, stand to be corrected.

1. Set up control procedures to enforce adherence to guidelines & procedures laid down in AGM, EGM.

2. Ensure tat collections fm booking of facilities, maintenance fees are properly recorded, deposited & accounted for.

3. Ensure tat expenses incurred has been properly approved before commitment, all payments r made to genuine suppliers with proper receipts.

4. Ensure more than 1 quotations has been obtained with regards to procurement of services to ensure arm's length of svs provided, no conflicts of interests & prevent procurement personal to profiteering fm it.

5. Ensure there is proper segregation of duties to prevent fraud, misappropriation & misuse of sinking funds for unauthorised purposes.

6. Conduct surprise check on the custodian of petty cash.

7. Prepare cashflow statement to monitor the financial liquidity of the funds. Propose if add'l funds r reqd.

8. Prepare income & expense statement to monitor the usage of funds.

9. Perform forecast of expenses shd major repair/renovation is reqd.

10. Ensure timely submission of tax to regulatory bodies.

11. Perform audit to ensure completness, accuracy & reliabilty of the whole book keeping process.

Sounds like you are expecting the chairman to do the work of the managing agent.

bro, how do they go missing? Better check if money go missing too ....anyway, you can request for minutes of the council mtg and see who the ones who chow-keng...maybe chairman..lol
    What I mean is they bo chup....never do their job after
    Elected....see swimming pool dirty act blur....see drain
    Choking act blur...got many of these type of mcst
    Members...

MA must be sleeping too.
    Members...

Some ppl claimed that joining mc have their own aganda, some believed that there are some honest ppl willing to give extra hours to help the estate.

I think that if they are willing and join, why not ? I sure they will benefit in their aganda in certain way..but at the same they also do the dog job even when only during near agm. That is life.

Better then these kpkb and contribute nothing! And during agm complain everything. .

If chairman does nothing then why he would volunteer himself? I am sure there must be something beneficial for him?

Why wouldn't the mcst members get some benefits for their time? Maybe like small allowances or discount in maintenance charges?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi View Post
    Bro, only volunteer if you

1. Have too much spare time on hands
    2. Intend to leverage your own contacts as suppliers
    3. Have a serious lack of social life
    4. Need to feel 'in control' at all times; or
    5. Love your condo so much that you would do everything possible to have a chance to affect its maintenance and upkeep (just attending agm can vote already and question the mcst, no need to be on the commitee).

Fyi, my mm which is mostly tenanted, usually is the penthouse owner occupiers who are on the committee. And even have to beg people to attend the agm else motion cannot be passed (pun intended).

Besides, if you dont have financial background or know how to handle and manage suppliers etc, there is little that you can do on the committee I believe.

All admin and routine work are handled by the condo manager company anyways. We pay maintenance fees for exactly that.

My neighbour is the chairman and I can tell that the lift breadown was repaired immediately, lobby is extra clean, light bulb is changed immediately if blow..

Don have to be chairman but stay beside equally tag along the perks..

Hi bro,

You got my vote in 2~3 yrs time if you intend to be a MCST member... !
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Members...
    Maybe they are not having sufficient fund to tackle these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mygeemeel View Post
    If chairman does nothing then why he would volunteer himself? I am sure there must be something beneficial for him?

Why wouldn't the mcst members get some benefits for their time? Maybe like small allowances or discount in maintenance charges?
    chairman, mcst members all these unpaid one leh. Even if say they waive off yr maintenance fees is oso no big deal. Yr effort is worth more than these few hundred bucks if say u use the commited time to work part time.