Thread: Jump in number of S'pore millionaires

Default Jump in number of S'pore millionaires

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...aires-20131010

Jump in number of S'pore millionaires

Figure now at 174,000, thanks to recovery of financial markets: Report

Published on Oct 10, 2013

By Yasmine Yahya

THE number of millionaires here has risen at a sharp rate, thanks to the robust recovery of financial markets in the past year.

The Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report found that Singapore's total wealth grew by 8.7 per cent to US$1.1 trillion (S$1.37 trillion) in the 12 months to mid-2013. Average wealth per adult increased by 6.8 per cent to US$282,000. This figure includes a person's home, if he owns it.

This is quite a turnaround from the last report, which showed that between mid-2011 and mid-2012, total household wealth in Singapore dipped by 2.5 per cent to US$1 trillion, while the average wealth of people fell by 4 per cent to US$258,117. As a result, Singapore is now ranked second in the Asia-Pacific region after Australia in terms of wealth per adult, up one spot from last year. Globally, Singapore is now in eighth position.

Switzerland retained its top spot, with average wealth of US$513,000 per person, followed by Australia in second place with average wealth of US$403,000 and Norway in third at US$308,000.

The report defines wealth as the value of financial assets plus real assets - mainly real estate - minus household debt.

Towards the top of the wealth pyramid, the number of millionaires in Singapore reached 174,000 by the middle of this year, a rise of 11.5 per cent from last year. It is the highest number that Credit Suisse has recorded here since publishing the annual report in 2010, although the bank revised the way it recorded wealth two years ago.

This number is forecast to further rise by 35 per cent in the next five years to 235,000 in 2018.

This is part of an overall growth story that has been long in the making, said Credit Suisse's private banking and wealth management Asian economist Dennis Tan.

"Over the period of 2000 to 2013, with robust and stable economic growth, average household wealth per adult in Singapore has increased 150 per cent from US$112,800 to US$281,800, at an average growth rate of 7.3 per cent per annum," he said.

"Most of the rise is due to the high savings rate and asset price increases rather than exchange rate movements, although the latter provided a strong boost after the global financial crisis."

Total household assets in Singapore in the middle of this year were divided evenly into financial assets and non-financial assets, reflecting the Government's strong encouragement for both savings and home ownership, he added.

Despite the concerns that have been raised about rising household debt in Singapore, Mr Tan also noted that debt levels here are actually on a par with those seen in other developed markets.

"Although it has grown fairly quickly in recent years, the average debt of US$54,500 per adult is moderate for a high-wealth country, at just 16 per cent of total assets," he said.

The distribution of wealth in Singapore shows a moderate level of inequality, Mr Tan added.

About 80 per cent of the population have wealth above US$10,000 and 46 per cent have wealth above US$100,000, six times the global average.

[email protected]

COE can go higher.

I think it could also be people cashing out and renting or staying with parents.

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    I think it could also be people cashing out and renting or staying with parents.
    the number of millionaires in Singapore reached 174,000 by the middle of this year
    Total population 5.4 million
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...al/827992.html

% of millionaires = 174,000/5,400,000 X 100% = 3.2 % of entire population

The info is not on the number of Singaporean millionaires but Singapore millionaires....

So I dont think it is cashing out..... Asset growth and also more savings... is the key.... And the exchange rate also played a part...

So if you assume 3/4 are adults (too lazy to find out).... 4.2% of adults are millionaire.....

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut View Post
    the number of millionaires in Singapore reached 174,000 by the middle of this year

The info is not on the number of Singaporean millionaires but Singapore millionaires....

So I dont think it is cashing out..... Asset growth and also more savings... is the key.... And the exchange rate also played a part...

So if you assume 3/4 are adults (too lazy to find out).... 4.2% of adults are millionaire.....
    Bro chestnut, you are definitely one of the 174000 r

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123 View Post
    Bro chestnut, you are definitely one of the 174000 r
    Bro, reaching there was a struggle.... I am also one of the culprits who will make my kids a non-fighter in the corporate world when they work... Sad to say, I don't want them to be under stress like me....

Different thinking.... My kids will have less stress and a not so strong fighting spirit... But I hope to provide them wisdom in investing... Because that's the way to get rich and stay there... Without money, it is so difficult to survive in singapore or anywhere...

If one is not born with silver spoon, one needs to climb up in the corporate world to get money to invest... If one just relies on salary, it is difficult to accumulate wealth...

Most of the time I am very controversial because I speak my true feelings out in the forum... But is not boasting hor... Just my personal opinions...

Cheer

tink the 3.2% is an understatement ...
    becos their defn of millionaires is not measuring the total wealth a person hv.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    tink the 3.2% is an understatement ...
    becos their defn of millionaires is not measuring the total wealth a person hv.
    You have to deduct the house of residence in the computation of millionaire.... Because it is not generating income....

You have to deduct the house of residence in the computation of millionaire.... Because it is not generating income....
    but not generating income, the hse is still yr ppty leh.
    dunno y they dun wan to consider it as part of yr assets

but not generating income, the hse is still yr ppty leh.
    dunno y they dun wan to consider it as part of yr assets
    This will be the nett investable asset.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire

Because if your house is fully paid and say 1Million, the bank needs to see how much you can invest??? And if you only have say 100K, they wont woo you....

So banks measure it based on that assumption... They need this to target the so called 'rich'.....

This will be the nett investable asset.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire

Because if your house is fully paid and say 1Million, the bank needs to see how much you can invest??? And if you only have say 100K, they wont woo you....

So banks measure it based on that assumption... They need this to target the so called 'rich'.....
    oic, so tat's the rationale ....

so a person currently renting a place to stay in while rent out his 1 mill ppty will be targeted by banks as opposed to some one who stayed in his 1 mil ppty & rent out his 0.5mil ppty la

oic, so tat's the rationale ....

so a person currently renting a place to stay in while rent out his 1 mill ppty will be targeted by banks as opposed to some one who stayed in his 1 mil ppty & rent out his 0.5mil ppty la

It depends on how much cash he has.....

thats why priviledge banking requires about 150K to 200K to get in...
    private client starts at 1mil and above
    private banking starts at US$1mil and above... Most look at S$5mil
    http://www.bankofsingapore.com/what-...e-banking.html

There are perks in using the services but you really need to be in control vs being controlled... If you let them control you, you are doomed......

Bro, reaching there was a struggle.... I am also one of the culprits who will make my kids a non-fighter in the corporate world when they work... Sad to say, I don't want them to be under stress like me....

Different thinking.... My kids will have less stress and a not so strong fighting spirit... But I hope to provide them wisdom in investing... Because that's the way to get rich and stay there... Without money, it is so difficult to survive in singapore or anywhere...

If one is not born with silver spoon, one needs to climb up in the corporate world to get money to invest... If one just relies on salary, it is difficult to accumulate wealth...

Most of the time I am very controversial because I speak my true feelings out in the forum... But is not boasting hor... Just my personal opinions...

Cheer
    Similar to your situation. Maybe one way to really is not to let the kid think their dad is rich. Dine simple, with modest pocket money to them or travel on public transports. I m not too sure if my kid can appreciate investing as us

Quote Originally Posted by Violinbite View Post
    Similar to your situation. Maybe one way to really is not to let the kid think their dad is rich. Dine simple, with modest pocket money to them or travel on public transports. I m not too sure if my kid can appreciate investing as us
    They know my status... Both my wife and I are up in the food chain of the corporate world...

My kids are very interested n investing... I started sharing with them every opportunity I can when they are ready to listen....

They know my status... Both my wife and I are up in the food chain of the corporate world...

My kids are very interested n investing... I started sharing with them every opportunity I can when they are ready to listen....
    Wow.. thats very commendable. At least your kids still in good hands in investing. No worry then, its just a matter of time, you can hand them the baton of family wealth. Maybe just need to guide them getting the right partners to set up families. sigh.. my boy just 4 years old, still only happy go lucky enjoying his own world...

Ya beware if married wrong person all wealth will be gone.

See this interesting article:
    http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapo...oney-big-fight

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post

this is nothing compared to that Hermes slave .........

It is so expensive to die in singapore
    Luckily it is a one time expense only.

If population increasing, means more people will die, hmmm business set to grow.

Anyway, from another thread, do they grew rich flipping properties or use their business to acquire properties?

This guy is really self made millionaire. Unfortunately, his background didnt probably gave him a good chance of socializing to find a good partner. One of the thing as Christian, and also a friend advise, is that never mentioned the word 'divorce' whatever reason it is which my wife agrees. We are thankful indeed for this small advice, which keeps us looking up to reconciliation even there is a great argument. But these days, many young people no longer see marriage as a covenant but like a mutually beneficial contract. The danger comes when the well of love runs dry...

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    It is so expensive to die in singapore
    Luckily it is a one time expense only.

If population increasing, means more people will die, hmmm business set to grow.

Anyway, from another thread, do they grew rich flipping properties or use their business to acquire properties?
    Should be the latter but business people are also the group that are more likely to do flipping which most without deep pocket can't access to this real privilege. Flipping in some sense is only possible during bull run in property market.