Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Migration

Default Migration

Anyone thought of migrating before ?

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    Anyone thought of migrating before ?

constantly but thinking that being discriminated in other country stop me from trying. I am alright to be discriminated but not my children

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle View Post
    constantly but thinking that being discriminated in other country stop me from trying. I am alright to be discriminated but not my children
    Im constantly tinking too.
    Singapore is not an ideal place for retirement.
    but definitely wun choose Msia.

Have lived and worked abroad but am happy to stay in Singapore. Income tax regime is benign, it is safe for kids to go around by themselves, education and healthcare system are significantly above average when compared to other countries. We could do with cooler weather but then at least we don't have to battle ice and snow during winter to get to work.

The grass always seems to be greener at the other end???

Which part of Singapore u all do not like ???? If u can identify the issue, u can then work towards a solution around it....

I felt it was the money part....things are getting expensive, so I took a proactive step to read and invest and also get better increment.... Easier said than done though... But that was my plan and it worked out.... Luckily.... If I did not plan, I think it would be a 5% chance of achieving... I hope you all take my input as a sharing exercise.... Tats all....

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut View Post
    The grass always seems to be greener at the other end???

Which part of Singapore u all do not like ???? If u can identify the issue, u can then work towards a solution around it....

I felt it was the money part....things are getting expensive, so I took a proactive step to read and invest and also get better increment.... Easier said than done though... But that was my plan and it worked out.... Luckily.... If I did not plan, I think it would be a 5% chance of achieving... I hope you all take my input as a sharing exercise.... Tats all....
    spore is a very boring place. when one retire, one will hope to go a place nearby to watch cascading waterfall, admire mountains wif spectacular views etc ... spore got wat?
    oni can go & eat n go shopping mall to enjoy free aircon nia

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    spore is a very boring place. when one retire, one will hope to go a place nearby to watch cascading waterfall, admire mountains wif spectacular views etc ... spore got wat?
    oni can go & eat n go shopping mall to enjoy free aircon nia
    Can travel leh ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam88 View Post
    Can travel leh ....
    so I nid to travel every mth to Canada watch the waterfall, Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers?

so I nid to travel every mth to Canada watch the waterfall, Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers?

same wat.. if u migrate to say canada, still have to fly to Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers etc...
    Ong lai ah!

Quote Originally Posted by onglai View Post
    same wat.. if u migrate to say canada, still have to fly to Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers etc...
    no wat ...
    at least I can keep myself occupied wif a decent place of interest in Canada each week ...

spore has nothing, only tonnes & tonnes of foreign talents swamping in to invade u of yr privacy.

no wat ...
    at least I can keep myself occupied wif a decent place of interest in Canada each week ...

spore has nothing, only tonnes & tonnes of foreign talents swamping in to invade u of yr privacy.
    When u are in canada u will get invade by tons and tons of canadians.

when in Canada -
    When u go watch the waterfalls, is your house nearby??? Or u need to travel a few hours there??? Or will u be renting a place or staying at hotel???

When u sick of waterfalls, how???

Have u tried staying in a country that has winter??? Have u experienced depression during winter??? It is really depressing leh and brings u down....

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guid...ctive-disorder

The sky is dark, the weather is chilling, the trees are botak... U just feel so down.... U wear thick clothing... Your bone ache...

Try staying for a few months during winter... No fun...

If u have and enjoyed that, good for you... U can try migrating Canada...

My biggest concern is family ties and support... Even friends...

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    When u are in canada u will get invade by tons and tons of canadians.
    Actually, the tide is turn... Now they think of u like we think of the foreigners....

So now u will become an alien in a country... They will give u that stare... And it becomes more obvious with the colour of the skin....

And u are rite... There are more foreigners in Canada (when u migrate) then when u are in Singapore. Hahahahaha

Hi bro chestnut, I agree with you.
    My fren migrated to Canada and for the first 2 years, life was a bed of roses.
    They traveled around and enjoyed the fresh air, beautiful scenery and the mountains.
    After that , reality set in.
    Money ran out and he had to find a proper job.
    That's when the problems started.
    Wife had a nervous breakdown.
    He went to another state to work, leaving her with 3 kids to manage on her own.
    When you are there alone, it is dreadful during the winter months.
    So now, the whole family has moved over to the other state to be with him, and of course his kids had to undergo the stress of starting life in another school all over again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Moral of the story : If you are not birds, do not think of migration so readily .

My wife and I lived in Buffalo, NY for about 5 years, because we were so close to Lake Erie, winter months were a drag. Super cold because of lake effect.

The routine was to put on jacket, scrapped car windscreen, drink hot coffee. It was very dangerous to drive during winter months.

We had a really bad winter storm in 2001. The city was shut down. The snow covered everything. Cars were abandoned on the highway, people had to sleep in office.

We were lucky to get home as we managed to dig our car out before the storm got really bad but for the next few days, we could not get out of the house.

Interesting times for both of us but I decided to go to Singapore. My wife stayed for another 5 years in NYC.

When the time came to settle down and start a family, we chose Singapore.

Default Financially

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
    My wife and I lived in Buffalo, NY for about 5 years, because we were so close to Lake Erie, winter months were a drag. Super cold because of lake effect.

The routine was to put on jacket, scrapped car windscreen, drink hot coffee. It was very dangerous to drive during winter months.

We had a really bad winter storm in 2001. The city was shut down. The snow covered everything. Cars were abandoned on the highway, people had to sleep in office.

We were lucky to get home as we managed to dig our car out before the storm got really bad but for the next few days, we could not get out of the house.

Interesting times for both of us but I decided to go to Singapore. My wife stayed for another 5 years in NYC.

When the time came to settle down and start a family, we chose Singapore.
    Financially Singapore is good for Young (productive) People and Rich People. It's definitely not easy for old and retired people. If I look my self today, financially I cannot afford to retire in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiwara View Post
    Financially Singapore is good for Young (productive) People and Rich People. It's definitely not easy for old and retired people. If I look my self today, financially I cannot afford to retire in Singapore.
    True, that's why got to work harder.
    Actually, Singapore government is doing a good job, just from my perspective.

In NYC, you see beggars/homeless people on the street, in the subway. Plenty of soup kitchen. Even in Tokyo.

True, that's why got to work harder.
    Actually, Singapore government is doing a good job, just from my perspective.

In NYC, you see beggars/homeless people on the street, in the subway. Plenty of soup kitchen. Even in Tokyo.
    Can u imagine sg without hdb system? Thanks to hdb system most folks can retire.

Retire in china?

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut View Post
    Actually, the tide is turn... Now they think of u like we think of the foreigners....

So now u will become an alien in a country... They will give u that stare... And it becomes more obvious with the colour of the skin....

And u are rite... There are more foreigners in Canada (when u migrate) then when u are in Singapore. Hahahahaha
    In some countries in Europe, foreigners are simply called aliens. There will be aliens office to handle VISAs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    Can u imagine sg without hdb system? Thanks to hdb system most folks can retire.
    Yes, very true.

In NYC, they also have hdb. They are call "projects" but for the low income. Very different standards.

Quote Originally Posted by wirehtc View Post
    In some countries in Europe, foreigners are simply called aliens. There will be aliens office to handle VISAs etc.
    Same in US - Illegal Aliens.

During and after 9/11, I had a hard time going into US because I am Malaysian. They don't know the difference. I told them I am Chinese but in their mind I am a muslim. Haizzzz....

At JFK, I will be sent to a different custom department for processing.
    There you will see people from middle east, eastern european, indian, south american and there I was every time. 2-3 hours of waiting time. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiwara View Post

So you want to retire old and lonely in some foreign country?
    狮子王 (formerly blackjack21trader): READ MY LIPS: NO MORE CRASH FOR 60 YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by wirehtc View Post
    Bro, that's why whenever I go USA I will paint myself green and put on my 2 antennas.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)

I still prefer to retire in Singapore. I see challenges so I hope to do something to prepare now when I can.

Malaysians were under radar then.... U needed visa to get to USA the and even applying for visa was a nitemare....

Oh yes, those days, u needed to be at the airport real early to leave us to come home.... Especially LA... The security check was impeccable....

But I can understand...

Same in US - Illegal Aliens.

During and after 9/11, I had a hard time going into US because I am Malaysian. They don't know the difference. I told them I am Chinese but in their mind I am a muslim. Haizzzz....

At JFK, I will be sent to a different custom department for processing.
    There you will see people from middle east, eastern european, indian, south american and there I was every time. 2-3 hours of waiting time. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I still prefer to retire in Singapore. I see challenges so I hope to do something to prepare now when I can.

There's no where to run unless you're very very rich. Something like Robert Kuok, his children can go anywhere. One day in Hong Kong, another day in Canada. All work done by his dozens of GMs and MD of various companies.

People give themselves false hope of paradise so that they can endure the hardship.

In order to achieve this "paradise", they work very hard and sacrifice their health and end up with none.
    狮子王 (formerly blackjack21trader): READ MY LIPS: NO MORE CRASH FOR 60 YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Retire in china?
    Lived in Beijing for a while. Totally cannot stand the uncivilised pple over there

Quote Originally Posted by sgbuyer View Post
    There's no where to run unless you're very very rich. Something like Robert Kuok, his children can go anywhere. One day in Hong Kong, another day in Canada. All work done by his dozens of GMs and MD of various companies.

People give themselves false hope of paradise so that they can endure the hardship.

In order to achieve this "paradise", they work very hard and sacrifice their health and end up with none.

Hehe I am certainly not rich (yet ). But I don't think I am driving myself too hard either.

I just feel that there are pros and cons in every place. If I go to another place I will just come to another set of challenges. So I might as well stay put and see how to overcome these challenges. At least being local the learning curve to overcome them is less steep.

no wat ...

Agree, Singapore is a very boring place, but I guess we can also explore the nooks and cranies and go to museums and farms in Singapore with the children. Can learn flying too and sailing. The east coast park has a nice skating lake which I want to try. And go rollerblading and run marathons, not that I can...but I want to learn. I guess impt thing is to take up a healthy sport as a hobby or indulge in art/music. May be able to sell your painting if they are good.

Actually can start a business by getting the contacts of good artists in China or New Zealand and sell them here also since you sound like you like to travel.