Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former actor Darren Lim's family lives in $300k yacht for 8 months

Default Former actor Darren Lim's family lives in $300k yacht for 8 months

http://www.plushasia.com/media_photo/20769

Singapore - Former Channel U star Darren Lim who bought a $300,000 luxury yacht last year has been living with his family on the seas for the past eight months.
    According to Lim, he says this modern "kampong" lifestyle of living on the seas is very comfortable and carefree.
    The Beneteau Oceanis 37 luxury yacht which has been named "Gracefully" is an alternative lifestyle for him and his family.
    Calling themselves the "Water boat family", he told Shin Min Daily that living on the yacht is a way for him and his family to maintain a close relationship with each other.
    He says his children can expand their horizons and learn while on this "drifting classroom" as well.
    His wife, former actress, Evelyn Tan is currently pregnant with their fourth child. The baby is due in November later this year.
    When asked if the baby was conceived onboard the yacht, Lim jokingly replied: "Most probably".
    [email protected]
    Photos: Wanbao, Zaobao, TNP, SPH, ST, Internet

Nothing to be envious about. Many had already started this years ago.

interesting... for sure no one can call him miss-the-boat.

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post

Singapore - Former Channel U star Darren Lim who bought a $300,000 luxury yacht last year has been living with his family on the seas for the past eight months.
    According to Lim, he says this modern "kampong" lifestyle of living on the seas is very comfortable and carefree.
    The Beneteau Oceanis 37 luxury yacht which has been named "Gracefully" is an alternative lifestyle for him and his family.
    Calling themselves the "Water boat family", he told Shin Min Daily that living on the yacht is a way for him and his family to maintain a close relationship with each other.
    He says his children can expand their horizons and learn while on this "drifting classroom" as well.
    His wife, former actress, Evelyn Tan is currently pregnant with their fourth child. The baby is due in November later this year.
    When asked if the baby was conceived onboard the yacht, Lim jokingly replied: "Most probably".
    [email protected]

I wonder how much docking charges are. If reasonable, I'm thinking 300k is still cheaper than most flats today and may not be a bad alternative !

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline View Post
    interesting... for sure no one can call him miss-the-boat.
    Lol, certainly!

Definitely not in the same boat as those who missed the boat?

Looks plain sailing, eh ?

Lol, certainly!

Definitely not in the same boat as those who missed the boat?

Looks plain sailing, eh ?
    It looks too small for his expanding family....

how they dispose of the biological waste everyday?

for refrence

http://aroundtheglo.be/2010/05/27/is...ture-analysis/

Is living on a boat in Singapore cheaper? A premature analysis
    Update: See my followup to this after six months.

Many of my friends know that I am almost obsessive about collecting data about all kinds of stuff (the pizza versus apples graph, which is sadly out of date, is particularly notorious). I also keep track of my expenses pretty precisely, cataloging and categorizing everything I spend money on.

Now that I’ve lived aboard Oia for a little more than a month, I can start to ask the question: is living on a boat in Singapore cheaper than living in a rented apartment? Of course it’s really too early to ask this question since expenses vary from one month to another and you really need to gather data over time, but at least I can compare my first month of living aboard to a representative month of apartment living and see how things play out.

In Singapore, living on a boat has ramifications not just for the cost of housing (rent for an apartment, berthing for a boat; and utilities), but also for transportation, since there are no marinas really convenient to public transportation. Actually, that’s not completely true: RSYC is decently close to buses, and Keppel Bay Marina is in walking distance (15-20 min) to Singapore’s metro, the MRT. But Keppel Bay is full and not accepting new vessels now; and RSYC is, from what I’m told time and time again, too rolly to live aboard. (I may judge that for myself eventually.) And of course, when you own a boat, you need to take care of it; and by buying an older boat I set myself up for a variety ongoing maintenance expenses.

I decided to compare the month of March, my last full month in my studio apartment at City Square, with my first month living aboard Oia (April 17 to May 16). The big caveat: I’ve found myself spending the night in “mainland” Singapore fairly often, which means I’m only really “living aboard” (or at least, sleeping aboard) a little over half the time. I looked at most of my expenses, but only some of them really changed when I moved aboard, so I’m only including those here. I converted everything to US dollars with the prevailing interbank rate on the date of the expense. Please don’t use this data to steal my identity or sell me stuff or do anything else nefarious.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Berth Rates

http://www.rsyc.org.sg/marina/marina...#wetberthrates

OAT LENGTH
    (ft)
    MONTHLY FEES
    (S$)
    DOUBLE BERTH
    35 490
    40 560
    45 640
    50 730
    55 830
    60 940
    70 1,190
    SINGLE BERTH
    50 880
    70 1,600
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Cost wise is not so much difference comparing renting a studio in RCR and living on a boat. So it becomes a life style thing. But thats assume berthing cost increase are similar with condo rental increase.

Then the children how to go school?

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Cost wise is not so much difference comparing renting a studio in RCR and living on a boat. So it becomes a life style thing. But thats assume berthing cost increase are similar with condo rental increase.

Then the children how to go school?
    By public transport I guess unless he has a car.

The article mentioned ex-actor. Maybe they sold their private apartment and is waiting for the "waiting period"(I believe there is, correct me if I am wrong) before they are allowed to buy HDB again. Ex-actor means their income will be less, then they can qualify perhaps. Meantime, live off their profits. Can even keep their boat and rent out in future. Just speculating. It cannot possibly be their long-term home with 4 kids who will grow up and find that there is no space.

probably, it's a lifestyle thing. Perhaps staying in a GCB for too long and hard to find their children. They decided to move to a boat for 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle View Post
    probably, it's a lifestyle thing. Perhaps staying in a GCB for too long and hard to find their children. They decided to move to a boat for 6 months
    Huh, GCB? I don't think they are paid so well unless they have rich parents...

is the mortgage for a boat just like for a car?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    how they dispose of the biological waste everyday?
    via open drain system >> over board discharge

[email protected]

to me this is more of a small fishing boat except with sheltered deck..

It is miserably small and properly the cabin is below deck and beside the main power system...

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    I wonder how much docking charges are. If reasonable, I'm thinking 300k is still cheaper than most flats today and may not be a bad alternative !
    it should be called berthing charge...

Docking is referring to dry dock/undock

Actually not too bad... Like mm loh but got 2br with double beds
    Went to search for "showflat"
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_GTGtzdgo

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1 View Post
    to me this is more of a small fishing boat except with sheltered deck..

It is miserably small and properly the cabin is below deck and beside the main power system...
    if you dont't own any property, you're short. take cover quickly

wah my wife will love this. the kids got nowhere to go except sit down and do homework.

lol
    Ong lai ah!

Quote Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post
    Actually not too bad... Like mm loh but got 2br with double beds
    Went to search for "showflat"
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_GTGtzdgo
    your youtube link is considered a premium one..nice cabin architectural ...

Quote Originally Posted by onglai View Post
    wah my wife will love this. the kids got nowhere to go except sit down and do homework.

lol

ya.. the husband nowhere to take cover when wifey nag.

i like to bring customers to yatch cos no where to go and always business talk...divert a bit TCSS and eventually end up business... deal/final settlement can be closed easily...

Can the boat appreciate in value?

Quote Originally Posted by wirehtc View Post
    Boat is like car except without coe.. boat maker rolled out more then the demand.

Plus as boat age, the maintenance cost is very high. Expecially when the propulsion system generate vibration and cause the tail shaft seal to leaks. .

For leisure and is a life style.. nn captial appreciations element..

Quote Originally Posted by wirehtc View Post
    Maybe he is aiming to buy Puteri Harbour or Batam area, a useful mode of transport I think, 300k is what some people pay for cars and there is so much congestion, more should follow his example.

Boat is like car except without coe.. boat maker rolled out more then the demand.

Plus as boat age, the maintenance cost is very high. Expecially when the propulsion system generate vibration and cause the tail shaft seal to leaks. .

For leisure and is a life style.. nn captial appreciations element..
    but if hardly sail leh? maintenance still will be high?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Once my colleague told me,
    the only two times he was happy with his boat,
    WAS the time he buy the boat and
    next was when he finally sold the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    if hardly sail and under the condition of anchorage, there will be marine growth at the hull. eventually will attack the paint work and destroy the structural integrity. don sail will only save on the fuel consumption nia...

The boat needs to dry dock , time to time, to check and inspect.. I not sure of the regime programme thou..

boat have a set of schedule maintenance regime, save on those may translate to higher break down repair cost. Boat has alot of type lube to change too...

if hardly sail and under the condition of anchorage, there will be marine growth at the hull. eventually will attack the paint work and destroy the structural integrity. don sail will only save on the fuel consumption nia...

The boat needs to dry dock , time to time, to check and inspect.. I not sure of the regime programme thou..

boat have a set of schedule maintenance regime, save on those may translate to higher break down repair cost. Boat has alot of type lube to change too...
    aiyo! liddat got a lot of hidden maintenance sia.
    den $300k buy hdb better, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jeaprp View Post
    Once my colleague told me,
    the only two times he was happy with his boat,
    WAS the time he buy the boat and
    next was when he finally sold the boat.
    so the moral is dun buy a yacht unless u hv nowhere to spend the $300k

i believe it is cheaper to rent a boat when you want to live on one.

Default No. 4 just arrived

http://www.tnp.sg/content/baby-board...lim-and-family

Local actor Darren Lim and former actress-host Evelyn Tan’s newborn son Elliott will join the family on their boat home, after spending his first month on land when Tan finishes her confinement at her mother’s home.

The Lims, who have three other children — daughter Kristen, eight, sons Jairus, six, and Way, four — have been living on a yacht for the past year at ONE°15 Marina Club at the Sentosa Cove marina.

They upgraded from a two-room Beneteau Oceanis 37 yacht to a three-room Lagoon 400S2 catamaran in September.
    Tan, 39, gave birth to their fourth child, who weighed 3.43kg, on Sunday.

Lim, 40, told The New Paper over the phone on Monday that his newborn son will be able to sleep to a "natural rocking motion" on the boat.