Thread: End of Tenancy

Default End of Tenancy

Hi
    I would to check on the usual amount that the landlord would impose on the tenant at the end of each tenancy agreement.
    I believe most of the time there would be some damages at the end of the tenancy...some could be wear and tear, some would be negligence.
    As such quantifying the exact amount would be a bit of challenge since there would be dispute arises to the extend of negligence, the grey areas between negligence and wear & tear...
    Thanks in advance for your experience, advice.

Quote Originally Posted by hycondo View Post
    Hi
    I would to check on the usual amount that the landlord would impose on the tenant at the end of each tenancy agreement.
    I believe most of the time there would be some damages at the end of the tenancy...some could be wear and tear, some would be negligence.
    As such quantifying the exact amount would be a bit of challenge since there would be dispute arises to the extend of negligence, the grey areas between negligence and wear & tear...
    Thanks in advance for your experience, advice.
    i'm going to assume you are the tenant in this case. to prove non-negligence, provide a string of evidence such as:

- regular aircon servicing
    - repairing of minor issues below the quantum agreed upon between you and the landlord
    - basic maintenance and cleanliness upheld

certain things may appear to be negligence as first, but it could also be due to age (ie your landlord provided you with aircons in the unit, but they are 4-5 years old already, so there should be no expectation of negligence for end of life products)

as long as you can provide proof & written agreements for servicing, even if your landlord wants to sue you, you can throw back the servicing agreements in his face. (however, failure to keep proper records will simply mean the balance tips in favour of the landlord)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post
    i'm going to assume you are the tenant in this case. to prove non-negligence, provide a string of evidence such as:

- regular aircon servicing
    - repairing of minor issues below the quantum agreed upon between you and the landlord
    - basic maintenance and cleanliness upheld

certain things may appear to be negligence as first, but it could also be due to age (ie your landlord provided you with aircons in the unit, but they are 4-5 years old already, so there should be no expectation of negligence for end of life products)

as long as you can provide proof & written agreements for servicing, even if your landlord wants to sue you, you can throw back the servicing agreements in his face. (however, failure to keep proper records will simply mean the balance tips in favour of the landlord)
    Thanks.
    I thought of having the agreement end cordially since there is not much friction during the tenancy. Hence, just thought of just using a certain % of the security deposit to offset these costs.

Quote Originally Posted by hycondo View Post
    Thanks.
    I thought of having the agreement end cordially since there is not much friction during the tenancy. Hence, just thought of just using a certain % of the security deposit to offset these costs.
    if you want to show you are above board - give them a chance to rectify issues on their own cost. highlight the issues (ie damaged walls) and let them paint back themselves, if they are so inclined.

by giving them a chance to rectify the issues themselves (instead of you taking a %) it shows you are open to negotiate. however, don't stand for half-past six work if you give them this option. if you use a % method, you are boxing yourself in (if you say 10%, and the damage is far worse, they will say you gave in writing that 10% was all you were taking). don't wall yourself in if you cant afford to. my agreement allows me to take the full deposit (i've only ever done it once because the tenant was being a jackass)

also,i had one tenant paint half the walls cream colour (original was white) after his kid drew all over the walls. lucky thing my inventory list is extremely accurate and i had the entire house white washed before handing over (with receipts to prove it) since he guai lan with me, i made sure he repainted entire house 1 colour and bear my lawyer's legal cost ... didnt cost him more than 3k iirc.