Thread: Two-bedder private units back in demand

Default Two-bedder private units back in demand

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...emand-20130803

Two-bedder private units back in demand

They are viewed as 'insurance' against weak rental market

Published on Aug 03, 2013

By Melissa Tan

TWO-BEDDER private homes are back in fashion as investor demand for one-bedroom units declines on the back of property cooling measures.

One-bedders have always been regarded as a better bet in the rental market but buyers are turning cautious and want bigger flats in case they need to live in them.

Their relatively lower price also makes them more attractive, given new curbs on borrowing.

Developers have responded to the change, with two-bedders making up a higher proportion of recently launched projects, according to data compiled by real estate consultancy OrangeTee for The Straits Times.

OrangeTee looked at the unit mix and take-up rate within the first two months of launch, for sizeable projects launched in March and April. These were Bartley Ridge (which has 868 units), D'Nest (912), Urban Vista (582), Sennett Residence (332), The Trilinq (755) and Novena Regency (55).

All the projects were launched in March except Novena Regency, which went on the market in April. There was insufficient data for projects launched in May and June.

Two-bedders outnumbered one-bedders in all the projects, comprising up to 43 per cent of the total number of units in each development.

Boutique developer EL Development managing director Lim Yew Soon said the unit mix depends on the location. "For suburban projects, there are more two- and three-bedders, some with more four- or five-bedders. Developers have reduced the number of one-bedroom units," he noted.

But in prime locations or areas where launch prices are expected to be $1,500 per sq ft (psf) or more on average, "we'll still have a fair bit of one-bedders because of the affordability", Mr Lim added.

The take-up rate for two-bedders within the first two months of launch was also higher than that for one-bedroom units at Urban Vista, D'Nest, The Trilinq and Novena Regency.

OrangeTee research head Christine Li said more people have been buying private homes for owner- occupation rather than for investment in recent months.

This was partly because the additional buyer's stamp duty was raised for an owner's second and subsequent properties in January - part of the seventh round of cooling measures.

Home loan restrictions imposed in late June have made it even harder for property investors to keep leveraging to buy units, as the new rules cap a borrower's total debt repayments relative to gross monthly income.

"On the pricing front, two- bedders typically have slightly lower prices psf and the quantum is still quite affordable. These are the main reasons why they are gaining popularity in today's market," Ms Li said.

She added that two-bedders were viewed as "insurance" against a weak rental market, compared with one-bedders which are more susceptible to rental market downswings.

Some projects launched recently with a large proportion of one- bedders have had lacklustre sales due to a softening rental market.

The 56-unit freehold Cosmo- Loft in Balestier, made up mostly of shoebox units, was launched in April and moved only four units as of June 30, according to Urban Redevelopment Authority data.

The popularity of two-bedders reverses the situation prior to the January measures when "investment demand was very strong and shoebox units even outside the central region were selling like hot cakes", Ms Li said.

In 2011, one out of every seven units sold was a shoebox flat - defined as a home of up to 500 sq ft in size - The Straits Times reported last year. Buyers, who were mostly investors, snapped up a record 2,037 new shoebox units that year, at projects such as Spottiswoode 18 near Outram MRT station, Skysuites@Anson and The Interweave in Kim Keat Road.

That was more than seven times the number of shoebox units sold in 2008 and 20 per cent more than in 2010.

[email protected]

LOL...most stupid reason.if cant rent out, then own stay.this reason is valod if one is not currently staying in own home. if already got a home, the two bedder unit cant rent out, so own stay? lol! anyway most two bedders are fake. in fact is one bedrm plus an odd rm.

developer building more two bedders in tiny units not because of higher sdemand than single rm, is because of ura curb on unit size lah!

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    LOL...most stupid reason.if cant rent out, then own stay.this reason is valod if one is not currently staying in own home. if already got a home, the two bedder unit cant rent out, so own stay? lol! anyway most two bedders are fake. in fact is one bedrm plus an odd rm.

developer building more two bedders in tiny units not because of higher sdemand than single rm, is because of ura curb on unit size lah!
    just take it as a pinch of salt lah, hehehe

Get real.

Most pmet renters would rather share a whole apt or condo with other tenants than live in the same house with the landlord, esp yim zim sg landlords.

Simi two bedder effect? pls.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123

agree. who say one bedder cannot be for own stay?
    anyway, take it tat the new increase dd for 2 bedders is true, it is gd news for current 1 bedder owners.
    1. lesser supply of one bedder in tbe future means current one bedder owners wun experience a too over supply. 物以稀为贵 mah

2. when dd for 2 bedders increase, prices will increase. tat means $ for one bedder will oso increase.
    tio bo?

The important message here is ... people need a minimum floor area for long term stay.

When the current 1BR is said to be unpopular (in the article), what this means is people dont seem to like the idea of 4xx sqft apartments.

Office Boy did visit some of these 4xx sqft apartments earlier and my personal take is that I cannot stay in such small apartments for long. Maybe 1-2 years can tahan, but for longer period, think will affect my sanity. But this is my own personal thinking.

There is nothing wrong with buying a place where you can stay and say that if cannot rent out, you can stay. Imagine you own at least 2 2BR PC, and choose to stay in the one currently not rented out. Its a personal choice. Better than you own 1 MM and 1 2BR, if your MM cannot be rented, you have to leave it empty because you cannot bring yourself to rent out.

This brings out a very important point, always invest in a PC which you feel comfortable staying. If you yourself is not comfortable staying, you must assess how many others are willing to stay.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    The important message here is ... people need a minimum floor area for long term stay.

When the current 1BR is said to be unpopular (in the article), what this means is people dont seem to like the idea of 4xx sqft apartments.

Office Boy did visit some of these 4xx sqft apartments earlier and my personal take is that I cannot stay in such small apartments for long. Maybe 1-2 years can tahan, but for longer period, think will affect my sanity. But this is my own personal thinking.

There is nothing wrong with buying a place where you can stay and say that if cannot rent out, you can stay. Imagine you own at least 2 2BR PC, and choose to stay in the one currently not rented out. Its a personal choice. Better than you own 1 MM and 1 2BR, if your MM cannot be rented, you have to leave it empty because you cannot bring yourself to rent out.

This brings out a very important point, always invest in a PC which you feel comfortable staying. If you yourself is not comfortable staying, you must assess how many others are willing to stay.

DKSG
    hmm ... my current unit is 463sqft n I was tinking of getting another even smaller one for own stay. but u hv raised a very impt point here - whether a person can stand staying in a constraint space for a long period of time. u hv given me some very invaluable insights!

I for one concur MM can be good only for short stay 1-3 yrs...

I enjoyed IH tremendously with firework views, air plane views, east coast line views but it came a point space is really a concern. I couldn't buy new home decor toys, I couldn't this I couldn't that... I could only enjoy the view and that's about it -___-

I had to move on after 2yrs plus...

Thus my unbiased opinion of substantial success is to own and live in a 3-bedder, own but rent out a 2-bedder and own a convertible car hahaha

I have 2 but to achieve the 3rd is a LONG shot boy....

Anyway those with a few MMs under their name also in very admirable position those with multiple big units ~ enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid
    hmm ... my current unit is 463sqft n I was tinking of getting another even smaller one for own stay. but u hv raised a very impt point here - whether a person can stand staying in a constraint space for a long period of time. u hv given me some very invaluable insights!
    to each his or her own.

i for one am not normal so i dont like to clean up after large spaces on a daily basis.

to each his or her own.

i for one am not normal so i dont like to clean up after large spaces on a daily basis. but office boy is right to say buy something you can imagine yourself staying.

even if u have a few mm, the flexibility to choose whichever one to stay in is bliss.

I think is normal for people of the future in SG. The youngsters can stay glued on one spot for hours glued onto their HP or iPad or laptop. Same for foreign workers with smartphones.

With 56 applications to 1 2room HDB hinting of the huge base of ineligible applicants, we can definitely and safely say that small is the future direction.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Generally, mm units = for single, 2 bedders = for young couple, 3 bedders = for family. Space has become a premium. A family has no choice but to stay in MM unit if cannot affort larger unit, like the situations in Hong Kong & Tokyo. Humans can adapt very fast. As population grows, home will only get smaller and more compact. China has banned bungalow/villa development, as it is considered land resource wastage. ( under utilisation of land resource). About 10+ years ago, URA controlled the minimum size of residential unit, which was 60m2 ( if I remember correctly). Now, MM size can be as low as 25m2.

Quote Originally Posted by KELONGUNI
    With 56 applications to 1 2room HDB hinting of the huge base of ineligible applicants, we can definitely and safely say that small is the future direction.
    actually I dun feel tat the oversubscription of 2 rm bto will increase the dd for a pte one bedder as the profile of both the buyers n tenants r very different. Its basically 2 very diff segment market.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    to each his or her own.

i for one am not normal so i dont like to clean up after large spaces on a daily basis. but office boy is right to say buy something you can imagine yourself staying.

even if u have a few mm, the flexibility to choose whichever one to stay in is bliss.

I wun be inclined to buy 2 bedders or more cos I will be living alone. But I will select a not too small one so tat I can tahan it forever, hahaha

Talking about premiums, the following physical qualities will become more and more valuable in time to come: Privacy with no overlooking neighbours, Peaceful environment away from traffic/human noise, Panoramic view towards city skyline, park & sea, Vibrant walking ambience along the route between home and MRT station ( not just next to underground MRT station), Lower density, more greenery and spacious development.

sound like a europe country..

actually I dun feel the oversubscription of 2 rm bto will increase the dd for a pte one bedder as the profile of both the buyers n tenants r very different. Its basically 2 very diff segment market.
    That's exactly what I said. The ineligible base is the alternative profile. There must be a huge group of them that is waiting. Maybe one such as yourself. Earning well but not spending much, and don't need much space.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by flagship74
    sound like a europe country..
    Look harder and one will still find development and usually, part of the development that have many of the physical qualities as described above. I donot mind paying a slight premium for those units.