Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MRT noise

Default MRT noise

Assuming your apartment is at the same level as the MRT track, how far away should the track be such that a reasonable man should not find the MRT noise annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger
    Assuming your apartment is at the same level as the MRT track, how far away should the track be such that a reasonable man should not find the MRT noise annoying?
    If you are in front, no matter how far, it is still noisy. Better to have at least 1 building in front of you to block the noise.

Willing to share which condo u looking at? Easier that way. Confirm MRt or LRT. LRT no sound I think.

Let me venture a guess/////Manhattan at Simei?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFiestaOwner
    Willing to share which condo u looking at? Easier that way. Confirm MRt or LRT. LRT no sound I think.
    Little Mikah - a great place to shop for your little one.
    www.facebook.com/LittleMikahShop

Just trying to establish a rule of thumb for future reference, as i've no experience with MRT noise.

you just bought a unit at J Gateway?
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Just trying to establish a rule of thumb for future reference, as i've no experience with MRT noise.
    you might want to take a look at this

Phase 1 location is out. You can sort of take reference from there to see if there is any chance of LTA building a noise barrier.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page...f-fbb0986fdd62
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Interesting. I've seen these barriers overseas, didn't know they're building them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    you might want to take a look at this

Phase 1 location is out. You can sort of take reference from there to see if there is any chance of LTA building a noise barrier.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page...f-fbb0986fdd62

If it is J Gateway, the noise is going to be a lot more. The current bus interchange is not the actual site. Plus the crowd, the jam (already started even without J Gate built and Westgate yet. Hope u have a mid to high storey.

You can ask Regulator. He has tons of comments on units facing the MRT tracks.

If it is J Gateway, the noise is going to be a lot more. The current bus interchange is not the actual site. Plus the crowd, the jam (already started even without J Gate built and Westgate yet. Hope u have a mid to high storey.
    the jam you see there is actually caused by JEM carpark entrance. If not for that, the place is usually quite OK. Beside, there will be several new road which will be constructed around J Gateway and Westgate. You can see that on the Masterplan2008.

Having said that, I believe eventually, there will be some kind of ERP gantry going into Jurong Gateway and the government is now planning to introduce bike sharing scheme in JLD.

Paying $1k psf to face the track for caspian is bad enough, paying $1600psf to face the track for J gateway is just incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Paying $1k psf to face the track for caspian is bad enough, paying $1600psf to face the track for J gateway is just incredible.
    at least caspian owner are richer than those who bought your highly recommended Mackenzie88.

See my post on http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...postcount=1724

I am a self pro-claim expert on mrt track noise with >15yrs experience. Doesnt matter how tall/far, if direct facing is really jin jin scary.

I am 500m from the track and facing it directly. However since am unblocked for a good part of it it can be distinctly heard after 10pm and before 7am. Other times the buses downstairs take over the conductor baton.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    See my post on http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...postcount=1724

I am a self pro-claim expert on mrt track noise with >15yrs experience. Doesnt matter how tall/far, if direct facing is really jin jin scary.
    try staying next to the highway. Its even worst and there is no interval in between.

i've tried living a couple of days in front of a MRT track, along clementi. verdict = NO SLEEP

Got Sleep lah, plug music into your ears lor.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Soon, any time also can sleep, because cannot heard any more noise (and no sound as well)...

Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested
    Got Sleep lah, plug music into your ears lor.

The LRT trains don't move anymore is it? Got machine move with no sound? Won't they become louder and louder, just like cars when they age? Initially so quiet, engine like no sound, then become louder and louder.

Ok ok, when buying property, make sure you don't directly face:
    1) MRT track and MRT station
    2) Expressway
    3) Bus interchanges and bus terminals
    4) LRT track and LRT station
    5) What else???

try staying next to the highway. Its even worst and there is no interval in between.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Ok ok, when buying property, make sure you don't directly face:
    1) MRT track and MRT station
    2) Expressway
    3) Bus interchanges and bus terminals
    4) LRT track and LRT station
    5) What else???
    Temple or places of worship.

i prefer highway to mrt track. highway noise is more or less constant, so white noise easy to filter out.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    i prefer highway to mrt track. highway noise is more or less constant, so white noise easy to filter out.
    Like, agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    its constant and almost 24/7 as well. If you talking about filtering out noise, you can also apply the same to MRT noise I guess. Just use double glaze window loh.

I feel at least a 8 mins walk.

u noe tampines lib is abt a 5 mins walk to the mrt stn, at the library is parallel to the track.

when I am in the lib, I can hear the train passing by, even though it is air-conditioned.

6 mins walk. Facing away from the track and with one condo in between to block should be OK. Example, Tanglin View, Tanglin Regency - not much complaints of track noise from them compared to Metropolitan.

double glazed windows won't help much if you are living just beside an mrt track, like metropolitan.

If you are living next to the track, it is not just the noise. You can also feel the vibration when the train passes by.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    If you are living next to the track, it is not just the noise. You can also feel the vibration when the train passes by.
    precisely, that's why even a double glazed window won't work for a light-sleeper, like myself