Thread: Property agents in a haze

Default Property agents in a haze

http://propertysoul.com/2013/06/19/p...nts-in-a-haze/

Property agents in a haze

June 19, 2013

With no better suggestion from the government, the only way Singaporeans can deal with the haze from Indonesia is to stay at home, with all the doors and window closed.

Despite poor visibility, through the glass window we could still see a property agent showing the house of our neighbor living opposite us. And there he was, walking his clients to the house in the midst of a smog, with the PSI reaching 170 and the worst haze hitting Singapore since 1997.

The potential buyers probably couldn’t see much of the house’s exterior. But the smell of smoke might help them better visualize holding barbecue parties at the house during weekends. I could imagine our neighbor shutting all the doors and windows like us, while turning on the air conditioning in full blast.

The scene reminded me about a similar incident that happened months ago. Well, it was not exactly a haze – the property agents were so confused that they behaved as if they were ‘in a haze’.

A friend was interested to see some houses in my estate. Being a first time buyer, the couple came to me for advice and I promised to join them for house viewing.

One fine Sunday I rushed home after lunch for a joint viewing just a few houses away from mine. When I arrived, they were already half-way through the viewing. Up on the third storey, I overheard the couple asking about some ‘crack lines’ on the walls and the ceiling.

The property agent was touching the lines on the wall, trying to figure out what they were. The owner mentioned that they were the first owner of the house, with a look on his face that said ‘we have been staying here for 10 years so what do you expect’. The couple, on the other hand, had the usual ‘worried buyer look’ on their face.

I immediately told them that I had seen these fine lines appearing in my apartment before. They were the result of prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. That explained why the lines were only found on the highest floor because it was the hottest under the sun. The quality of the paint chosen by the developer also contributed to it.

I also explained the differences between a crack and a ‘hairline’. For the latter, you could cover it by putting a fresh coat of paint over it after you took over the house. I added that I just stayed a few houses away. We didn’t have those lines in the house because we repainted the whole house with a good quality paint when we moved in five years ago.

My friend was relieved after my explanation. The property agent was also relieved that she was able to move on to show other parts of the house.
    But the rest of the house was dark, stuffy and gloomy. The place looked like it was waiting for its weekly house-keeping. The curtains at the windows were not drawn up and the air-conditioning was not on, except for a small fan in one of the bedrooms. That made us all sweating like hell in a fiercely hot afternoon!

The next house was a co-broke case. The agent murmured the address and looked at a loss. Then she turned to me and said,

“Since you are staying here, can you show us the shortest way to this house?”

It didn’t help that the property agent on the other side was also ‘in a haze’. He was not familiar with the layout of the corner terrace. For most of the time, we were walking around the house ‘free and easy’.

When my friend couldn’t get the size of the land and the floor area from the two agents, I had to whisper to them the exact numbers. It might be more than five years back, but I had those numbers hammered in my mind after viewing at least twelve houses in the same estate.

Before we left, my friend asked for a layout plan of the house. Both agents said that they didn’t have one. What about the floor plan of the whole development? Sorry, we don’t have that either. I had to whisper again behind the agents’ back. Yes, I keep those at my place and please drop by for a copy after this.

This is the first house viewing experience of the couple. They probably think that it is normal not getting any answer or anything you need from a property agent.

This is the countless time of house viewing for me. I just have one question in mind: If you are selling a two million dollar house, will you risk showing it in a haze?

if i am selling a 2million dollar house i bought for 200k i will show it even if it snows
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Haze or no haze, life still goes on.
    If I need to sell the house, haze or no haze, I will open my doors to those who want to view it.

With the haze blanketing us now... Hope everyone in Singapore appreciate the Parks that we have in our neighborhood and do not abuse them by littering etc...Also give credit to the NPark for maintaining all the parks in Singapore so that we can have such great greenery near our homes and fresh air all the while until now due to the haze.... Now that I know fresh air and greenery are not god sent and many people have worked hard to build and maintain them. Once the haze is gone, I will go to enjoy the fresh air and greenery provided by the park that is near my place again......

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu1245
    With the haze blanketing us now... Hope everyone in Singapore appreciate the Parks that we have in our neighborhood and do not abuse them by littering etc...Also give credit to the NPark for maintaining all the parks in Singapore so that we can have such great greenery near our homes and fresh air all the while until now due to the haze.... Now that I know fresh air and greenery are not god sent and many people have worked hard to build and maintain them. Once the haze is gone, I will go to enjoy the fresh air and greenery provided by the park that is near my place again......
    well said

i will go out and smoke

I give a lot of credit to NParks for keeping Spore green. But more greens need to be conserved instead of making way for highways or new HDB towns.

Quote Originally Posted by vip
    If you are selling a two million dollar house, will you risk showing it in a haze?
    In a haze/in a fog is an American idiom meaning confused, at a loss or not sure what is happening.

WARNING psi at 290
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    WARNING psi at 290
    If you need to open your house for viewing, don't do it at night coz they may not arrive safely or they may come an hour late coz too difficult to move about in the thick haze! Was driving on the road an hour ago and thought my eyesight is failing. Now I know its coz of the 290 psi haze.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    WARNING psi at 290
    Property Sure Increase 290 psf?

*Like* .

I think this is CM9

If I am a foreign buyer, 100% won't buy in singapore.

Just shows how small and fragile singapore is compared to other places in the world.

Really if indonesia or malaysia wants to sabo us, really nothing singapore can do....

EVen my wife who is insistent that singapore properties is better than overseas ones are thinking about overseas...

I think all the bros here who made their money is also thinking of a backdoor exit overseas...

At 6.9 mil, Singapore will be v vulnerable to infectious disease. We were threatened in recent years by SARS, HxNx flu and now dengue. Our A&E obviously cannot cope w crisis at national level. It is always good to have an exit plan in a nearby country.

Nong nong ago i already proposed whole of SG build dome cover with aircon.

End up they use my idea for the stupiad national stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
    Nong nong ago i already proposed whole of SG build dome cover with aircon.

End up they use my idea for the stupiad national stadium.
    Your idea is good, then we can create our own 4 seasons. Winter, summer, maybe we can also install an artificial sun and moon

Many in Singapore forget that the haze occurs for only few days/week at most here when air quality is in unhealthy zone. For people in China/India, this is how it feels every day in life 365 days a year. I would urge people to be grateful that for 350 days in a year, you can breathe fresh clean air. for the rest 15/20 days, you can switch on the aircon 24x7 and stay somewhat insulated.

Simi sai... china india no have aircon meh?

When u walk out to grocers to buy neccessities, got aircon on the road bo? Omg no wonder online shopping so popular in china.

Suddenly it occurred to me why integrated projects are so sought after and keep hitting psf highs. aircon and sheltered all the way...Lol

I also start to appreciate why asians are such fang nus (house slaves).

That agent not doing his work well la.

If I am buyer, I won't be happy with the way he show us around. Really hazy agent.