Thread: How you take care of your marble flooring?

Default How you take care of your marble flooring?

Not sure if this thread should be in this cat or even if I should go to renovation forum. Don't flame me

1. How often do you get contractor to polish your marble flooring?
    2. Anyone invested in good carpet as in persian carpet that can last generation?

Can share some experience/thoughts? Thanks ya.

Yes, I have Persian carpets in my house. If you wish to invest in these carpets, get the ones with higher knot count but you will end up paying a bit. Some can go to the ten thousand dollar range but if you are a connoisseur that appreciates these things, such carpets are priceless. Try not to the machine made ones if you can unless you don't care about what goes under the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Yes, I have Persian carpets in my house. If you wish to invest in these carpets, get the ones with higher knot count but you will end up paying a bit. Some can go to the ten thousand dollar range but if you are a connoisseur that appreciates these things, such carpets are priceless. Try not to the machine made ones if you can unless you don't care about what goes under the feet.
    totally agree.

i recommend you look for mr mohammed at jehan gallery, located at tan boon liat. he will take you through the entire process and give you an educational tour. the best part - no hard selling.

Are there persian carpets that look hip unlike the usual arab kind of flavour?

Quote Originally Posted by solsys
    plenty....like i said, head down to jehan and you can see for yourself.
    handmade, machinemade, indian, persian, wool, silk, modern, scruffy, etc etc.

one session with mr mohammed and your knowledge on carpets will go up a notch

Quote Originally Posted by gilaone
    Not sure if this thread should be in this cat or even if I should go to renovation forum. Don't flame me

2. Anyone invested in good carpet as in persian carpet that can last generation?

The polisher I engaged the last time told me to use Mr. Muscle detergent for marble floors to help maintain its shine.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

For Marble flooring, the worst enemies are acidic or alkaline base solvents.

Try not to eat orange or critic fruits and drip on the floor, u will get etching patch almost immediately . For alkaline base, eg soap, shampoo, it will result the same... in the bathroom area, ask the contractor to apply a coat of sealent...

For localise area of dull area, can buy DIY powder to polish...

In general, i will polish once every four years , other wise will be when change new tenant, this is the time unit is empty and plus with a new coat of paint, the unit will rent out in no time....

marble in bathroom area?!?!?!

that's suicidal......to put things in perspective, i had a bad fall in the bathroom from an accidental slip

My entire master toilet is marble including wall tiles, placing a few mats on the ground should stop you from slipping

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157

that's suicidal......to put things in perspective, i had a bad fall in the bathroom from an accidental slip

My entire master toilet is marble including wall tiles, placing a few mats on the ground should stop you from slipping
    those are algae traps leh, i'm lazy to upkeep them regularly. i used uneven surfaced tiles in my new place to prevent falling.

If you go for Persian carpets, must go for the ones with intricate designs which have higher value in the long run. The minimalist ones are not worth anything coz they are easy to make. Persian carpets are Iranian, not arab. I personally like the tribal ones, but judging from your taste, you can go for the city carpets. Get 100% wool or silk would be a better investment not the cotton ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by solsys

If you go for Persian carpets, must go for the ones with intricate designs which have higher value in the long run. The minimalist ones are not worth anything coz they are easy to make. Persian carpets are Iranian, not arab. I personally like the tribal ones, but judging from your taste, you can go for the city carpets. Get 100% wool or silk would be a better investment not the cotton ones.
    don't get silk, was told that it is not suitable for humid weather. must sun it every 2-3 months to vaporized trapped moisture. if u turn on the air-con often, then can consider.

i recommend you look for zolanvari's. it's top quality iranian stuff, but without the traditional design

Thanks for the vast knowledge sharing on marble caring tips. They are all very useful. Will take note. I also planned to do a polish and apply the sealant but was afraid of the kids and old folks may slip hence hold on to that till now.
    Anyway, any good contractor you used and PM me? I used one to polish my bathroom when I move in but was not satisfactory.

As for the carpet, I actually started looking last year. Been to a few places like Tanglin mall too. Definitely a handmade persian preferred isfahan and size about 8 x11. But price is quite steep. Thats why holding on to it till now. Also, how you take care of the persian carpets?

Another question is: Will the carpet damage the marble flooring? A silly question?

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157

Mine units are made of such, wet area, wall tiles etc and yes it is slippery .. but u can treat it with empty slip chemical and will be quite effective...

Thanks for the vast knowledge sharing on marble caring tips. They are all very useful. Will take note. I also planned to do a polish and apply the sealant but was afraid of the kids and old folks may slip hence hold on to that till now.
    Anyway, any good contractor you used and PM me? I used one to polish my bathroom when I move in but was not satisfactory.

As for the carpet, I actually started looking last year. Been to a few places like Tanglin mall too. Definitely a handmade persian preferred isfahan and size about 8 x11. But price is quite steep. Thats why holding on to it till now. Also, how you take care of the persian carpets?

Another question is: Will the carpet damage the marble flooring? A silly question?
    Generally cheap don come good in certain way... I polish the floor for marketing purpose to attract tenants, I paying about less then 800 for a avg 1500 sf unit ( exclu the rooms and kitcken) not sure the marble hall area....
    Maybe you can google ard or check renotalk...

By the way, carpet will not damage the floor unless it is humid underneath ...plus u need to flip over time to time to mop the floor..

Remember to use ph balance or neutral cleaner...