Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreigners' share slips in private home deals

Default Foreigners' share slips in private home deals

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/spec...deals-20130521

Published May 21, 2013

Foreigners' share slips in private home deals

April's fall to 20.8% follows recovery to 26.7% in March from Feb's 23.3%

By Kalpana Rashiwala

THE proportion of private home transactions involving foreign buyers (including Singapore permanent residents, or PRs) slipped to 20.8 per cent in April, after recovering to 26.7 per cent in March.

In February, their share dived to 23.3 per cent following the seventh round of property cooling measures that took effect on Jan 12.

In January, foreigners had accounted for 28 per cent of caveats lodged for private homes purchased in Singapore, shows Knight Frank's analysis.

Conversely, Singaporean buyers' share increased, from 72.5 per cent in March to 78.3 per cent in April - highest monthly share in a year.

These trends are due to the number of caveats for private homes lodged by Singaporeans rising at a faster clip than purchases by foreigners.

In April, Singaporeans lodged 1,528 caveats, up 62 per cent from March. The number of caveats lodged by foreign buyers rose 16.4 per cent month on month to 405 in April.

Alice Tan, Knight Frank's head of consultancy and research, attributes the bigger jump in caveats lodged by Singaporeans last month to a slew of private residential launches in March especially in the suburban mass-market segment.

Such projects appealed relatively more to Singaporeans, particularly first-time buyers who have been left unscathed by the cooling measures.

As some of the options granted by developers in March would have been exercised by buyers in the following month and caveats lodged shortly thereafter, this could have accounted for the spike in caveats lodged by Singaporeans in April.

On a quarterly basis, the total number of caveats lodged for private home purchases fell 34.4 per cent, from 8,725 in Q4 last year to 5,721 in Q1.

Caveats by Singaporean buyers declined 36.6 per cent quarter on quarter to 4,153 in the first quarter - a bigger percentage drop compared with the 25.3 per cent fall in purchases by foreigners.

Hence the foreign buying share increased to 26.8 per cent in Q1, from 23.5 per cent in Q4 last year and 22.2 per cent for the whole of last year.

Giving a further split of foreign buyers, Knight Frank said the increase was mainly attributed to a rise in proportion of non-PR foreigners, who accounted for 9.9 per cent of total caveats lodged in Q1 2013, compared with 6.9 per cent in Q4 2012 and 6.4 per cent for the whole of 2012.

Ms Tan predicts that the proportion of Singaporean buyers is likely to increase for the second and third quarters of 2013 as they seek new homes from the upcoming projects slated for launch over this period.

"Conversely, the share of foreign buyers is projected to decline, as they are affected by the higher purchasing cost (higher additional buyer's stamp duty rates) and would adopt a more measured approach before investing in the Singapore residential property market.

"Nonetheless, foreigners remain attracted to Singapore's stable fundamentals and their interest for private homes would stay," she added.

International Property Advisor's CEO, Ku Swee Yong, when asked what is currently at the topmost in the minds of potential foreign buyers, said: "Some still can't get over the fact that they have to pay 18 per cent in total buyer's stamp duty to make a residential property purchase in Singapore. And they are still waiting for a more across-the-board price correction, especially in the luxury sector."

Providing a split of foreign buyers by nationality, Knight Frank noted that China buyers retained their No 1 position.

Their share of the foreign buyer pie climbed from 25 per cent in Q4 last year to 29.6 per cent in Q1.

"The recent curbs imposed on the property market in China, compared with the stable fundamentals and the low interest rate environment in Singapore, might have rekindled the Chinese interest in Singapore properties," said Knight Frank.

Malysians remained the second-biggest group of foreign buyers. Their share increased from 22.6 per cent in Q4 last year to 23 per cent in Q1 2013.

Over the same period, Indonesians saw their share among foreign buyers slipping from 21.5 per cent to 19.9 per cent, though they still held on to their third position.

Knight Frank also said that China buyers' share of caveats lodged by foreign buyers, which had spiked from 26.7 per cent in February to 36.2 per cent in March, fell to 28.1 per cent in April. The number of caveats lodged by Chinese citizens fell from 126 in March to 114 in April.

Meanwhile, interest from Malaysian buyers fell initially following the January 2013 cooling measures. Malaysians accounted for 21.5 per cent of total caveats lodged by foreigners in February and 13.8 per cent in March - which are markedly lower than 26.9 per cent in January 2013.

"However, the proportion of Malaysian buyers jumped to 25.2 per cent last month and they contributed 102 caveats, more than twice the 48 caveats in March 2013. This indicates the return of Malysians to secure private homes on the back of a higher number of new project launches with price discounts to offset ABSD (additional buyer's stamp duty) costs," said Ms Tan.

This is a very good sign. We all know the China Middle Class are arising, and do you know what is the implication?

These Middle Class Family usually come from a single child family. As such, much of the wealth from the predecessors is passed on to one person. When one child marries another child, you have 2 family wealth consolidated into one formiable force.

When you have the extra cash, what will you do ?

When I stay in Hong Kong, in particular, Tsim Sha Tsui. I realised that there are many frequent travellers from China. These travellers would be very interested in an studio apartments in TST because staying in a hotel is definately much more expensive in the long term

Even those condos in suburban but nearer to the airport are very well sought after by this group of travellers This is because using the Airport Express MTR into the city is cheap and fast.

The second choice is of course Tsim Sha Tsui, although in recent years, the prices there have also escalated. TST is a good choice because going into Hong Kong Island is a piece of cake by using the tunnel.

The recent visit by China to India is another very good sign. I think India could capitalise on China's construction technology while China on India labor.

If China can make India her close ally, very significant improvement in the global economy could be seen.

What India needs is the big bulk of middle class like in China. And in particular some behavioral transfer from China to India, so that the new middle class from India can invest just like the Chinese. I am keeping my fingers crossed

The main difference between the China Middle Class and the India Middle Class who bought foreign properties is this. The Chinese goes for Studio apartments while the Indian would go for 3 bedders or above.

The logic I figured is this. Indian likes to travel in family groups including grandparents while the Chinese are mostly couple or single travellers.

Singaporeans are in the best of both Worlds. Come June 2013 and you shall know why.

Your predictions have a ring of familiarity around it....
    When you have eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    Your predictions have a ring of familiarity around it....
    I agree. But I dun give vague predictions. The following groups of foreigners will surge in Singapore:

English, Germans, Italians, Swedish, French , Japanese and South Korean.

By June we should see this increase beginning. However, whether they will buy properties or not I do not know.

Many think 2015 will be a bad year. I think the truth will make their jaws dropped :P

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I think the year 2014 - 2017 will be GOLDEN Year!
    2019 probably is the PEAK!

Quote Originally Posted by 狮子王
    Many think 2015 will be a bad year. I think the truth will make their jaws dropped :P

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear

You are right !

Many are brainwashed by the angmo media that a crash is coming due to the currency wars.

This is the most flawed thinking. Because USA has shown to us what the QE can do wonders to a near collapse economy, the global policy makers have learnt a lot from the USA experience.

Therefore, we will see recovery getting stronger and stronger starting June 2013.

The second choice is of course Tsim Sha Tsui, although in recent years, the prices there have also escalated. TST is a good choice because going into Hong Kong Island is a piece of cake by using the tunnel.
    For a moment, I thought the King is promoting The Scotts Tower - TST!

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    My mentor, BJ says next year is a Crazy Horse year, so have to sit tight and watch how the property market cheong!

DKSG

why Jun, because it is next month and is holiday is it??
    I agree. But I dun give vague predictions. The following groups of foreigners will surge in Singapore:

English, Germans, Italians, Swedish, French , Japanese and South Korean.

By June we should see this increase beginning. However, whether they will buy properties or not I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by lajia
    why Jun, because it is next month and is holiday is it??
    Yes. That is correct.

Yes. That is correct.

Interesting to know. You sound like master shifu BJ21

How come nobody mention about Properties in Jakarta? The capital app there is higher than us!

Quote Originally Posted by smartboy2

How come nobody mention about Properties in Jakarta? The capital app there is higher than us!
    240 Unit Apartemen Holland Village Sold Out Dalam 3 Jam
    Rabu, 22 Mei 2013 | 14:04

Ivan Setiawan Budiono, CEO Lippo Homes PT Lippo Karawaci Tbk (kanan) dan Joe Christian, Chief of Marketing Holland Village sedang memberikan penjelasan tentang superblok Holland Village kepada calon pembeli saat peluncuran resmi menara apartemen superblok Holland Village di Hotel Aryaduta, Jakarta, Sabtu (18/5).
    Harga setiap unit mulai dari Rp1,5 miliar sampai Rp4,5 miliar.

Quote Originally Posted by smartboy2

Yes, I am also wondering whether it is brother BJ.

Lucky, borther BJ is master, he will not have interest in my tiny hill.

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    240 Unit Apartemen Holland Village Sold Out Dalam 3 Jam
    Rabu, 22 Mei 2013 | 14:04

Ivan Setiawan Budiono, CEO Lippo Homes PT Lippo Karawaci Tbk (kanan) dan Joe Christian, Chief of Marketing Holland Village sedang memberikan penjelasan tentang superblok Holland Village kepada calon pembeli saat peluncuran resmi menara apartemen superblok Holland Village di Hotel Aryaduta, Jakarta, Sabtu (18/5).
    Harga setiap unit mulai dari Rp1,5 miliar sampai Rp4,5 miliar.
    its a bubble
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    its a bubble
    U can read Indonesia... This project was over subscribe 3x

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    My mentor, BJ says next year is a Crazy Horse year, so have to sit tight and watch how the property market cheong!

DKSG
    Regret to inform you, I have put your mentor into the Institute of Higher Mental Health. We are putting him there for good as he attracted too much attention to our family's liking. In fact, he is an utter disgrace to our family!

Forget about your love for him. Allow me to be the better replacement.

Good Luck.

WOAAHHAHEHEHHEHEHEHEH

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill
    Yes, I am also wondering whether it is brother BJ.

Lucky, borther BJ is master, he will not have interest in my tiny hill.

You must be joking. He should be calling you guys shifu. That guy is a mental case since young. Caught many times by our family running amok naked around our swimming pool. Once, a reporter nearly took a picture of him.

When probed by our family, he said the quickest way to be famous is to run naked around a swimming pool. This guy never believe in hardwork and has been a leech for time eternal.

Good Luck.

The only thing good about him is his CROW's GAP. That guy SIBEH ZHUN when talking nonsense. Sometimes even analysts and family friends are baffled by the accuracy of his 乌鸦嘴。

Other than that, he is a good for nothing. Since 20 years old, he strongly believe the stock market can make him richer than his grandfather. Come on lah.....other than Peter Lim or Uncle Oei, which Asian make it big in stock market?

This BJ21 is so full of S-H-I-T and yet many model and pretty ladies with brains can fall for him. Their eyes all got stamps stuck.... PUI ARHHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by indomie
    U can read Indonesia... This project was over subscribe 3x
    when you talk to indonesian, they will tell you that this sort of growth is just not sustainable because middle class income hasnt been growing as quickly.

For the sake of regional stability, I hope the indo government will do something to cool the property market or else when thing turn bad, it will be really messy, not just for indo, but also for the region.

The same problem is also happening in Philippines.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

This BJ21 is so full of S-H-I-T and yet many model and pretty ladies with brains can fall for him. Their eyes all got stamps stuck.... PUI ARHHHH!
    You're right. Their eyes got stamped with dollar signs.