Thread: Family 'celebrates' end of bungalow

Default Family 'celebrates' end of bungalow

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...galow-20130513

Family 'celebrates' end of bungalow

Arts events before 78-year-old house in Mt Sophia makes way for condo

Published on May 13, 2013

Mr Yen Phang, 34, in front of his family's Wilkie Terrace bungalow, which will play host to arts events for three weeks next month. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

By Janice Tai

HIDDEN from most eyes, the last standing bungalow in Wilkie Terrace will soon be demolished to make way for new condominium developments.

The 9,321 sq ft, 78-year-old house at 13 Wilkie Terrace was sold to Roxy-Pacific Holdings for $24.5 million early this year. It is believed to be the last of four properties there to be acquired by the real estate firm.

In a swansong to their home, the Chia family has decided to invite the community to talk about the changes sweeping through the historic Wilkie Road and Mount Sophia area, and beyond.

They will open their house to the public for three weeks from the first week of June for a community art exhibition, house parties and documentary screenings.

Mr Yen Phang, 34, a Chia family member who initiated the project, called Displacement, said: "Displacement is about change - how we cope with it, document it and eventually come to embrace it."

The bungalow was built in 1935 by his grandfather and three generations of at least 100 members of his family have lived there.

Mr Phang lived there when he was a baby but moved out with his immediate family when he was two. He remembers how his cousins would fly kites and ride their bicycles around the spacious courtyard.

One of his cousins and his family live there now but will move out by the end of this month.

The project hopes to go beyond personal memories. A room in the house will be set aside to showcase the memories and stories of the neighbourhood and Singapore - contributed by the public. Mr Phang said submissions have been trickling in.

One resident remembers how he used to buy 25-cent curry puffs from the original Old Chang Kee stall in a coffee shop opposite the nearby Rex Cinema.

Paintings and installations by 16 artists on the theme of transience and change will also be exhibited in five of the rooms.

Street photographer Valence Sim, 31, will exhibit photographs and audio recordings of elderly people who used to live in and around Selegie Road.

Singapore-based Indian artist Kanchana Gupta, 38, is displaying a three-metre long map of Singapore, on which people can mark out locations of where they have lived over the years, to trace the process of displacement.

Mount Sophia was an important inner-city residential district for the middle and upper classes at the turn of the 19th century.

The evolution of urban development in the area is evident in the mix of buildings there, which showcase a rich architectural history, though many have now made way for new developments.

Buildings such as the Rex Cinema and the Cathay cinema, for instance, were built in the Art Deco style of bold, geometric shapes.

In Wilkie Road, there are two notable buildings which are conserved. One is the Church of Christ of Malaya, built in 1958, and the other is Sophia Flats, built in the 1930s, and one of a few apartment blocks to survive from that period.

Architect Kenneth Lee, 26, said the Chia bungalow resembles the neo-classical style, with its three-part structure such as its V-shaped roof and its elevation above ground. "It is unique in its heritage and there are not many around in Singapore," he said.

As part of the Displacement project, there are plans to have an event where people can sample Jewish recipes - the area used to boast a significant Jewish presence. A retro closing party and art documentaries are also on the cards.

"We are calling this communal group therapy where we acknowledge and celebrate loss and the passage of time," said Mr Phang of the project, which is partly funded by the National Arts Council, Roxy-Pacific Holdings and public donations.

[email protected]

Another landed plot gone the way of condos.....how much supply of big freehold plots of landed are left?

Got to change with time, landed is passé ........

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Another landed plot gone the way of condos.....how much supply of big freehold plots of landed are left?

Quote Originally Posted by felicia_sg
    Got to change with time, landed is passé ........
    In that case, soon, there'll be no landed left...

no landed but can build bungalows in the sky.. hehehe

I find it a pity when more landed are sold to be re-developed into condominiums.

Having lived in HDB, Condo and Landed before, I still prefer Landed as it gives the most practical space and privacy.

Just hope the urban landscape won't change too much in future.

Hillviewer...

Quote Originally Posted by hillviewer
    I find it a pity when more landed are sold to be re-developed into condominiums.

Having lived in HDB, Condo and Landed before, I still prefer Landed as it gives the most practical space and privacy.

Just hope the urban landscape won't change too much in future.

Hillviewer...
    not all landed offer space and privacy. likewise not all condo are small and lack of privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    not all landed offer space and privacy. likewise not all condo are small and lack of privacy.
    Rather than have this degenerate into a landed vs condo argument, there are always pros and cons for each segment.

Hillviewer is just indicating his preference and lamenting on how the urban landscape is changing with the trend of converting freehold landed plots into condos and the diminishing stock of such plots.

To continue with the tone of this thread, below is an excerpt from the article on the Wing Tai GCB - Link : http://www.plushasia.com/article/21051

The existing bungalow on 33 Nassim Road has an in-ground swimming pool, and a full-sized tennis court. "The vacant grounds around it could even accommodate a par-3 golf hole!" said Mr Singh. Most big sites in Nassim Road have been subdivided over the years, leaving only five other freehold properties with land areas of at least 80,000 sq ft. "Out of these five, three are understood to be owned by foreign governments - those of Great Britain, Russia and Brunei's royal family," Mr Singh added.
    When you can count the remaining no. of such sites on one hand, it is indeed a poignant reminder to us of how much the stock of such plots have diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    A good example is the GCBs along chatworth area, where they are surrounded by highrise condo over looking into their pool. For the super rich, they will not like it because they do not like condo dwellers to see what they are doing behind the gates.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    A good example is the GCBs along chatworth area, where they are surrounded by highrise condo over looking into their pool. For the super rich, they will not like it because they do not like condo dwellers to see what they are doing behind the gates.
    So, going by your example, wouldn't prices of chatworth gcbs have tanked?

We are talking about the diminishing number of freehold landed plots in line with the news article. As usual, divert to your landed mudslinging again.

Please carry on. Your constant fumblings not only provide entertainment but are proving to be a great boon to landed owners.

Hmm, waiting for news of chia family members going to court over division of the sales proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Rather than have this degenerate into a landed vs condo argument, there are always pros and cons for each segment.

Hillviewer is just indicating his preference and lamenting on how the urban landscape is changing with the trend of converting freehold landed plots into condos and the diminishing stock of such plots.
    Thanks proper-t! I was only sharing my thoughts on why I feel it is a pity to see more freehold landed properties reducing in numbers.

I never point out ALL landed offer space and privacy but I achieved what I want with my current place.

Hillviewer...

Let's talk about having condominiums within the landed enclave. My grandparents' terraced house at Joo Chiat was near a condominium but that did not affect the selling price!

Based on what I heard, the house was sold to another buyer higher than what my grandparents sold at.

My previous place in Holland consists of landed and condos and I don't see a drop in pricing for those landed properties. Instead, they went higher.

Hillviewer...

landed owners definitely wouldn't like high-rise condos around them as would indeed lose some privacy...

just check out those thiam siew road landed perimetered by dunman & ipoh lane condos.

for those non-discerning landed residents, i was once staying in ipoh land condo high floor and over-looking those private pools (ang mo female expats swimming topless in the pools lol...)

24million who wont celebrate
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy8681
    landed owners definitely wouldn't like high-rise condos around them as would indeed lose some privacy...

just check out those thiam siew road landed perimetered by dunman & ipoh lane condos.

for those non-discerning landed residents, i was once staying in ipoh land condo high floor and over-looking those private pools (ang mo female expats swimming topless in the pools lol...)
    thats exactly my point. when you are some big wig CEO or celebrities spending 10s of million on your property, no one will want to have someone overlooking into their private garden or pool and take photos or video of what they are doing in the private life.

"Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

thats exactly my point. when you are some big wig CEO or celebrities spending 10s of million on your property, no one will want to have someone overlooking into their private garden or pool and take photos or video of what they are doing in the private life.
    So, are you saying you expect prices of bungalows and GCBs to plummet because no one will buy them due to privacy issues?

The beauty of landed is the flexibility to design and build the dream home to your heart's content. You think these big wig CEOs don't have the $$$ to build an indoor pool or have creative architecture/extensive landscaping to ensure privacy?

Try doing that to your condo or 'bungalow' in the sky. The minute some of your windows faces another block, your only defence is a thick curtain which has to be drawn 24/7.
    Last edited by proper-t; 14-05-13 at 21:29.