Thread: ID for renovation

Default ID for renovation

Hi forummers,

Need advice from you guys.

Yesterday, I impulsively signed a renovation quotation with a ID firm and paid for 10% deposit. Then I search from the netizens' reviews, I think this ID is quite expensive and have many negative feedbacks. Only one or two compliments their design is nice..

They requested me to go down to pay another 10% deposit before they start doing my 3D design. This is the first time I engage with ID for renovation. I told them I need a firm quotation before I pay for the other 10%. Then the ID say they cant start work without another 10%. Are these the correct procedures/steps?

I am very worry that I will be cheated by this ID.

What shall I do?

Any comments are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast91
    Hi forummers,

Yesterday, I impulsively signed a renovation quotation with a ID firm and paid for 10% deposit. Then I search from the netizens' reviews, I think this ID is quite expensive and have many negative feedbacks. Only one or two compliments their design is nice..

They requested me to go down to pay another 10% deposit before they start doing my 3D design. This is the first time I engage with ID for renovation. I told them I need a firm quotation before I pay for the other 10%. Then the ID say they cant start work without another 10%. Are these the correct procedures/steps?

What shall I do?

i don't think so leh. if i didn't remember wrongly, i engaged white space living, a pretty renowned ID, and all they required was i think 1/2k to start 3D work. only upon confirmation to enlist their services, did they require a 10% deposit to start work on the detailed drawings.

should request an official contract from your ID, stating the payment schedule and what the sum is intended for. oh ya, my ID issued receipts for all payments

I paid $1,000 for them to start working on the 3D drawings. I was satisfied with their design and drawings, and then paid (10% - $1,000) for them to proceed, and the $1,000 would be considered as part of the total amount of fees payable; otherwise, if I was not satisfied and did not want to engage them for the job, the $1,000 would be forfeited by them.

I consulted a few ID firms, and the same procedures apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    I paid $1,000 for them to start working on the 3D drawings. I was satisfied with their design and drawings, and then paid (10% - $1,000) for them to proceed, and the $1,000 would be considered as part of the total amount of fees payable; otherwise, if I was not satisfied and did not want to engage them for the job, the $1,000 would be forfeited by them.

i was able to get away with seeing a few drawings/renders before even paying a deposit. it really depends on how you want to approach the situation .. i told the ID the contract was a decent size and without being on the same page, i wasnt prepared to give any form of deposit.

i got the drawings within a week, and gave her 20% thereafter to start work.

Hi forummers,

What shall I do?

Did they not ask u to sign terms and conditions?
    if you gave 10% deposit without even reading any agreement then fault lies with u.
    They can create whatever they want. U agree worth them, or lose deposit.

Thank you so much for the feedbacks. For you guys info, this is a Casetrust company.

I signed the package during the exhibition fair. With their great sales talk and under impression of Casetrust company, I paid for the 1st 10% without any designs. The ID said will give me a "drawing" within 10 days then only I need to pay for another 10%. At first I thot the "drawing" they mentioned is the 3D design drawing..

They gave me the package with few basic items stated in the brochure during the exhibition fair.. There are some more items not included in the package. Then, I asked them to give me a firm quotation and including all the things I want before I paid for the 2nd deposit, they refused by saying this is the standard procedure and need the 2nd 10% to be in before they start the 3D drawing.

The first 10% deposit is just to see the layout drawing. I asked what is the layout drawing and the ID answered is to see where to put the furniture!!???

I asked what if the total package is too expensive and over my budget? As this the main feedback from all the netizen. He just say this is a "standard procedure".. a bit not too transparent, don't you think so?

Not sure can I withdraw the package from this company? Don't need the cash refund but just to swop to other ala carte stuffs.. you guys think doable?

Or you guys have other better suggestions before I seeing this ID?

Thanks a lot for all comments and suggestions.

Thank you so much for the feedbacks. For you guys info, this is a Casetrust company.

I signed the package during the exhibition fair. With their great sales talk and under impression of Casetrust company, I paid for the 1st 10% without any designs. The ID said will give me a "drawing" within 10 days then only I need to pay for another 10%. At first I thot the "drawing" they mentioned is the 3D design drawing..

They gave me the package with few basic items stated in the brochure during the exhibition fair.. There are some more items not included in the package. Then, I asked them to give me a firm quotation and including all the things I want before I paid for the 2nd deposit, they refused by saying this is the standard procedure and need the 2nd 10% to be in before they start the 3D drawing.

The first 10% deposit is just to see the layout drawing. I asked what is the layout drawing and the ID answered is to see where to put the furniture!!???

I asked what if the total package is too expensive and over my budget? As this the main feedback from all the netizen. He just say this is a "standard procedure".. a bit not too transparent, don't you think so?

Not sure can I withdraw the package from this company? Don't need the cash refund but just to swop to other ala carte stuffs.. you guys think doable?

sorry to hear about your predicament. sounds fishy and have a casetrust stamp doesn't mean a company's practice isn't dubious.

this is one reason why i never bothered shopping for IDs at exhibition fairs.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinsg
    Did they not ask u to sign terms and conditions?
    if you gave 10% deposit without even reading any agreement then fault lies with u.
    They can create whatever they want. U agree worth them, or lose deposit.

My bad for not checking the "drawing" is meant for layout drawing and not 3D drawing..

I won't bother to pay $100 for the Mona Lisa painting, as I don't find it impressive. There are others who can offer $100 mil and yet can't even buy it. Good design is very subjective.

Take it as lesson learnt, don commit when u are not sure wht u are getting.
    Worst to worst, request the deposit return in liue of complete Hse painting, installation of air con , thoses are the accountable and u can roughly gauge the equalvelent Amout..

Don't worry, something similar happened to me. I signed up an ID in an exhibition, paid sgd 500 by credit card to retain them as ID. Was promised some designs in a couple of weeks. After 3 weeks, no word from ID. 4 th week the sales woman scrambles some crap design and comes over to discuss. I dismiss the designs immediately and request new ones. Again no response for long time. I contact her boss, narrate the story and demand back my retainer fee. After a month of follow up, the ID returns my payment in full.

If you are unsure about your decision, I think it is better to talk with counter party. If they are reasonable, you can exit the arrangement with little or no damage. If they want to stick it to you, escalate the matter with the superior officers in the company and explain your situation. If nothing works, complain with CASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee

Before I paid the $1,000, I had already got a clear idea about their design and quotation, compared this firm with other firms, and almost confirmed in my mind that I would engage this firm.

There are many ID firms at IMM. If you go and stay there for a few hours, you can go door by door to get designs (not 3D though) and quotations for free before you decide which one to use.

i think price isn't everything. while i soughted several well-publicized ID firms, what swayed me to use whitespace was the logic the ID employed in the design and space layout.

when i delibrately posed a couple of tough questions, some of them gave a hare-brained answer - rings an alarm bell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    i think price isn't everything. while i soughted several well-publicized ID firms, what swayed me to use whitespace was the logic the ID employed in the design and space layout.

when i delibrately posed a couple of tough questions, some of them gave a hare-brained answer - rings an alarm bell!!!

True, pricing is not really the main factor. I just hate it sounds fishy and not transparent. Don't think my request for a official contract before I paid for the 2nd 10% is unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAP
    Don't worry, something similar happened to me. I signed up an ID in an exhibition, paid sgd 500 by credit card to retain them as ID. Was promised some designs in a couple of weeks. After 3 weeks, no word from ID. 4 th week the sales woman scrambles some crap design and comes over to discuss. I dismiss the designs immediately and request new ones. Again no response for long time. I contact her boss, narrate the story and demand back my retainer fee. After a month of follow up, the ID returns my payment in full.

If you are unsure about your decision, I think it is better to talk with counter party. If they are reasonable, you can exit the arrangement with little or no damage. If they want to stick it to you, escalate the matter with the superior officers in the company and explain your situation. If nothing works, complain with CASE.
    I am seeing this ID this week. I will ensure on the 3D drawing before I paid for the 2nd 10%. If they do not wish too, maybe I need to talk to their superior. If they throw back the answer by saying this is a standard procedure again.. then I think I need to seek for other solutions. Thanks.

True, pricing is not really the main factor. I just hate it sounds fishy and not transparent. Don't think my request for a official contract before I paid for the 2nd 10% is unreasonable.
    there must be at least a quote or contract by this stage. the details will come later since more work may crop up after surveying the actual site or hacking stuff down.

I am seeing this ID this week. I will ensure on the 3D drawing before I paid for the 2nd 10%. If they do not wish too, maybe I need to talk to their superior. If they throw back the answer by saying this is a standard procedure again.. then I think I need to seek for other solutions. Thanks.
    the renders are not exactly everything. if you can gauge based on the floor plan, they should at least prep some demo boards with suggestions (ie use x material for the chair, w/ options of colour swatches)

i dont believe there is such thing as standard procedure. each ID is different. the guy my folks used for their place is so meticulous that contractors hate to work with him .. he charges about 5k/room, but he himself will measure everything and if even 1cm off, he will tell the contractor to redo. last i heard, he is doing project work in dubai ...