View Poll Results: How much rent are you willing to pay?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • <$1,500

11 26.19%
  • $1,500-$3,500

19 45.24%
  • $3,500-$6,500

9 21.43%
  • $6,500-$10,000

1 2.38%
  • >$10,000

2 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof over your head

Default Roof over your head

With the rising property price over the past 5 years, cost of housing is getting really expensive in Singapore.

For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    With the rising property price over the past 5 years, cost of housing is getting really expensive in Singapore.

For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?
    You ask a very hypothetical qns - I give you a hypothetical ans. In short, if i am a bangla, I want to pay less than $100, if i am a young working angmo gal and guys unemployed in Eurozone or looking for exciting time in S'pore, I want to pay anything less than $1000 per month. The cheaper the better

I stay in my condo. On both side of me, the units are tenanted out. One unit to a working Aussie couples (2 rm, 84 sq m) - $3,500. On the other side a much bigger 3-rms (119 sqm) - 6/7 young angmo working gals/guys - $4,500. Sometimes, the occupants changes ..it seems a motel to me. Sometime, the ausie couples also provide short-stay for their friends (2 weeks).

There you are my answers. Surprise right !!!

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    You ask a very hypothetical qns - I give you a hypothetical ans. In short, if i am a bangla, I want to pay less than $100, if i am a young working angmo gal and guys unemployed in Eurozone or looking for exciting time in S'pore, I want to pay anything less than $1000 per month. The cheaper the better

I stay in my condo. On both side of me, the units are tenanted out. One unit to a working Aussie couples (2 rm, 84 sq m) - $3,500. On the other side a much bigger 3-rms (119 sqm) - 6/7 young angmo working gals/guys - $4,500. Sometimes, the occupants changes ..it seems a motel to me. Sometime, the ausie couples also provide short-stay for their friends (2 weeks).

So wat is your rental yield for both units? 12 months rental / purchase price....,is it guve v good yield from renting?

My question is not so much about if you are bangla or ang moh. I am asking based on your current job and salary, how much are YOU willing to pay to have a roof over your head.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Hi...I am a Local born bred and educated Singaporean.

I am willing to pledge up to 1.8mil SGD for Mt Sinai property.

As of moment, I have one Tiong Bahru 5 room HDB bunking my parents, bro-in-law and parents-in-law with my two children and wife. The current housing loan stays at 450kSGD with XXX bank loan at 1.5% floating.

We are depending the other two 5 room HDB(s) to generate disposal rental income in preparation and anticipation of next market entry. These two HDBs are fully paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan

As of moment, I have one Tiong Bahru 5 room HDB bunking my parents, bro-in-law and parents-in-law with my two children and wife. The current housing loan stays at 450kSGD with XXX bank loan at 1.5% floating.

We are depending the other two 5 room HDB(s) to generate disposal rental income in preparation and anticipation of next market entry. These two HDBs are fully paid for.
    wow 1.8 mil - rich bro sial

My question is not so much about if you are bangla or ang moh. I am asking based on your current job and salary, how much are YOU willing to pay to have a roof over your head.
    "For a moment lets just imagine you are a foreigner working in Singapore and with your current job and salary, how much rent are you willing to pay for a roof over your head?

You are not asking from a local perspective but as "a foreigner working in Singapore" .

it all depending on if you are single foreigner or a family. So, the answer is actually quite different

Single < 1500
    Family with 2 kids < 3000

Is really on what the market commands and not how mch we wiling to pay to start with..

I remember 2 years ago you mentioned the loan was $450 K, now still the same ?

You have a condo previously which you sold right?

On Sept 2011 you said :

http://www.condosingapore.com/forums...ad.php?t=12157
    Hi all,

My household income is around 7kSGD and I am hoping to get a unit in Mt Sinai area. Is there any good and affordable unit in that area?

I still have to service 500kSGD loan from my current condo.

My cash is not much, around 50kSGD.

Should I take the risk to go for one unit in Mt Sinai area?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks
    I remember 2 years ago you mentioned the loan was $450 K, now still the same ?

You have a condo previously which you sold right?

On Sept 2011 you said :

http://www.condosingapore.com/forums...ad.php?t=12157
    Hi...for convience sake, I choose 450k as a denominator. I believe it is around 430+KSGD now.

hahaha...I want to buy this...http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2SlgzIoX2!

Hope the world crash than I can fulfill my dream... !
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Quote Originally Posted by danguard
    wow 1.8 mil - rich bro sial
    ...can make it one...Yowetan can sell all three HDBs already got close to the amount since 2x 5rm already fully paid.....and Tiong bahru nett should be close to 500K after deducting the loan..... mai tu liao...selll 2 HDB first and commit if your TB HDB has not reached MOP.........

Quote Originally Posted by dare2
    ...can make it one...Yowetan can sell all three HDBs already got close to the amount since 2x 5rm already fully paid.....and Tiong bahru nett should be close to 500K after deducting the loan..... mai tu liao...selll 2 HDB first and commit if your TB HDB has not reached MOP.........
    Totally agreed.. !
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

If I'm a foreigner working in Singapore.. I don't think I'm getting my current salary..
    Cos my company keep saying no budget.. but willing to paid an Ang Mo 5k or more with the same position same job scope.. just for their housing allowance

But anyway, I just consider I'm that Ang Mo will an additonal 5k over my current salary.
    If I come alone.. I only willing to pay to stay in a HDB store room at $200/mth..
    If I bring my family along.. I'm willing to pay 6.5-10k/mth

In general, i believe expats are willing to pay rent up to 1/3 of their salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    In general, i believe expats are willing to pay rent up to 1/3 of their salary.
    what is the average salary of expat without housing allowance? 15-20K?

what is the average salary of expat without housing allowance? 15-20K?
    Depend on your definition of "Expat". The "expat" in the past has a different connotation as "Expat" of today.

If you see a 20 plus ang mo gal n gal working in Singapore (after everyone is free to work here) they are not the kind of expat with housing allowance. There are here as FT just like as your friendly pinoy/Myman/M'sian etc.

There are also many "expat" social "workers" here also. Refer back to my first post why I still think you are not comfortable with my answer. This is a hard truth today. Not every expat FT are the type you stereotype to be. You need to understand and know what is situation in EUROZONE today
    Last edited by alamak; 13-05-13 at 08:42.

Depend on your definition of "Expat". The "expat" in the past has a different connotation as "Expat" of today.

If you see a 20 plus ang mo gal n gal working in Singapore (after everyone is free to work here) they are not the kind of expat with housing allowance. There are here as FT just like as your friendly pinoy/Myman/M'sian etc.

There are also many "expat" social "workers" here also. Refer back to my first post why I still think you are not comfortable with my answer. This is a hard truth today. Not every expat FT are the type you stereotype to be. You need to understand and know what is situation in EUROZONE today
    I know that expat with housing packaging these days are getting lesser. So could we assume that expat without housing allowance will most likely be only willing to pay around 2 to 3.5K for rent?

Just look at HDBs nowadays...

U see very colorful race combi.. alot of 'expats' has downgraded from regular condominium with facilities to HDB heartland.

With that I conclude that HDB willbe the star in rental in every corner of Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by pod
    Just look at HDBs nowadays...

U see very colorful race combi.. alot of 'expats' has downgraded from regular condominium with facilities to HDB heartland.

With that I conclude that HDB willbe the star in rental in every corner of Singapore.
    in terms of yield, hdb has always been the gold standard in Singapore, follow by condo, cluster housing and then landed property.

wah, who is the guy to voted >$10,000 for housing.

Wah, you created the poll but you don't know how use the features to see who voted for what? I voted >$10,000 coz at the place I'm working at, new expats that came here were given such allowances and they start from VP level. For directors and MDs, $15-20k per month is not unheard of.

....should have one for $25000 for Jim Rogers...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykj
    Wah, you created the poll but you don't know how use the features to see who voted for what? I voted >$10,000 coz at the place I'm working at, new expats that came here were given such allowances and they start from VP level. For directors and MDs, $15-20k per month is not unheard of.
    1) I have intentionally disable the feature so that vote can be done anonymously. Honestly why do you want to check who is voting for what?

2) I specifically ask about the forummers, not what your company MD CEO CFO etc are willing to pay for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dare2
    ....should have one for $25000 for Jim Rogers...
    I think he live within 1km of NPS and cycle his daughter to school.

prior to moving there, he was actually living in apartment. ang moh also know how to kiasu

Wat!. dont have option "FREE" ????
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    Wat!. dont have option "FREE" ????
    changi prison?

changi prison?

LOL.... Thats a option so some
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

1) I have intentionally disable the feature so that vote can be done anonymously. Honestly why do you want to check who is voting for what?

2) I specifically ask about the forummers, not what your company MD CEO CFO etc are willing to pay for rent.
    1) Obviously you didn't disable the feature correctly coz it can still be seen

2) In my company, there are many MDs and some of them do surf this forum and I know they ARE paying this amount And 1 of my company's HR VP in charge of Expat's Affairs also surf this forum (I intro her) and she has a role in determining what the Expat housing allowances should be...thus it is also not wrong since she is a forummer herself