Thread: How Your Condo Management Affects Your Property Value

Default How Your Condo Management Affects Your Property Value

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/con...160000315.html

Sure, that condo looks nice and shiny now. But what’s it going to be like in five years? Ten? How about fifteen? Because I’ve seen what bad management does. By about year five, there won’t be a shower next to the pool. There’ll be a decontamination chamber. So factor in the management before buying:

This pool’s the secret to our property value. We drowned the management committee in it.

Management: The Most Overlooked Aspect

If there’s something first time condo buyers will overlook, it’s the management. It’s the most invisible aspect of condos.
    See, you can buy a badly managed condo and have everything seem alright. Maybe for years.
    Then the discarded furniture piles up in the stairwells. The pool becomes home to indigenous life forms. The lift takes a day off every other week. By the time you want to re-sell, you better hope your buyers are upgrading. From a cave.
    And you can expect the property value to suffer, because bad management:
    • Raises Vacancy Risk
    • Creates a Poor Contrast to Surrounding Property
    • Ignores Asset Enhancement
    • Makes You Pay More for Maintenance
    • Makes Some Facilities Non-Existent
    1. Raises Vacancy Risk

“Good news is, we’ve identified ONE demographic that would consider your place an upgrade”.

If your tenant wants to rent a condo, here’s a wild guess: She’s probably not poor.
    That means she isn’t desperate for any old place to stay. Odds are, comfort is high on her list. And the major selling points will be great facilities, good security, excellent upkeep…everything that’s the opposite of what bad management provides.
    Property investor Charlie Sng says:
    Tenants who rent condos tend to be expats, or the well-heeled type.
    Most are not constrained by budget. If your condo is badly managed and run down, you will face vacancy, not just lower rental income. These are not the people who will bargain that ‘Oh, your place is run down, so you charge me X dollars less I will accept’.
    If they don’t like your place, they will go and rent a better condo, and yours stays vacant.”

2. Creates a Poor Contrast to Surrounding Property

“Say it’s not near the train, but looks like it was run over by the train. Would that count?”

Let’s say you’ve had your apartment for 10 years, and you want to sell. As standard practice, you peg your price to the surrounding properties.
    Now if your management’s been competent, that shouldn’t be a problem.
    But what if the walls are leaking, the car park’s a trash pit, and the building’s exterior looks like an algae farm? I asked my former colleague Gerald Seah, who recently sold his property* at cost:
    (*For the benefit of anyone who owns that property, we’re not naming it. But you probably know.)
    I sold my place for about the same price I bought it, which was devastating to me after so many years. When buyers came to view, it was an embarrassment.

Every block had two lifts, but for my block one side was always out of order. The rubbish chute, something was blocking it, and there was a bad smell that came all the way into the house. The intercom system sometimes worked, sometimes didn’t. I think my agent would pai (pray) every time someone touched the thing.
    In the end, what advantage was the location? The condo across the street also got the same location, but everything was nice and working there. How to get the same price?”

3. Ignores Asset Enhancement

And we uh, installed water flows on the ceiling as a bonus Feng Shui feature.

I spoke to a property manager, who currently maintains a property near Beach Road. He declined to be named:
    A good management team doesn’t just maintain the building. They also consider asset enhancement. In other words, even after the condo has been around for years, they are stil thinking: ‘What can we add or change to improve it?’
    In one of the properties I managed, we added a garden and reflexology path. We added a pets area. We extended the gym. And this was five or six years on; we were still adding facilities that weren’t there before.
    If you are going to buy a condo that’s been around for a while, don’t just check the condition. Ask what facilities have been expanded or added. If it’s been around for 10 years and nothing’s changed, there’s a risk the management has become stagnant.”

4. Makes You Pay More for Maintenance

Uh, for this kitchen, you may need a few extra things to prepare dinner.

I don’t mean you’ll pay more maintenance fees, though that’s possible.
    I mean this in a “I need it fixed while I’m still young, so I’ll pay for repairs myself” kind of way. Gerald (See point 2) ranted for a good 40 minutes, and added:
    One time the piping in the kitchen cabinet leaked. Every time you turned the tap, there will be a swimming pool in the kitchen.”
    Later I asked them to fix it, and three days later still no response. In the end I paid for my own plumber.
    I eventually found out the management was so slow because they were running out of money. Anything go wrong, have to wait, wait, wait until they raised the cash. If I wanted anything done on time, I also had to pay my own handyman on top of already paying maintenance.”

5. Makes Some Facilities Non-Existent

Actually that’s a plumbing problem in my living room. But leave “indoor pool” in the ad.

My nameless property manager friend (See point 3) brings good parting advice:
    Facilities do not exist unless they are well maintained. That is the mindset a buyer or condo owner or should have.
    If the gym equipment is all rusted, a lot of it missing…there is no gym. If the pool is so dirty and slimy that no one wants to swim, there is no pool. You get the idea? When a buyer views the place, they will not just trust the listing. They will view the actual facilities.
    If the facilities are too poorly maintained, they’re struck off as a buying point. It doesn’t matter if the condo has such a facility on paper.”
    So keep the management in mind. And if you want other ways to guard property value, follow us on Facebook! We’ll keep you updated.

“One time the piping in the kitchen cabinet leaked. Every time you turned the tap, there will be a swimming pool in the kitchen.”
    Later I asked them to fix it, and three days later still no response. In the end I paid for my own plumber."

huh? Since when is the MC responsible for your kitchen piping?
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Can still try for enbloc lor, if hard to sell especially if it is Freehold in Singapore CCR ( wink wink )

Management no good can change management, right? It depends on the residents also, whether are they willing to pay more for the sinking fund.

IMHO, internal damage is not the management responsible if after the warranty period but if cause by external factor that lead to your internal damage, then it is the management responsible, correct me if I'm wrong.

Must be Ryan Ong again.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Management no good can change management, right? It depends on the residents also, whether are they willing to pay more for the sinking fund.

IMHO, internal damage is not the management responsible if after the warranty period but if cause by external factor that lead to your internal damage, then it is the management responsible, correct me if I'm wrong.
    This article is pure rubbish. MC cannot change or determine your condo value.
    A good condo potential is one is 3 mantras : Location, MRT, Amenities.

A TOPed condo after DLP (defective liability period) responsibilities lies with the Owner , Not MC. Your kitchen sink, plumbing blah blah is your own internal maintenance.

Your MC can only help with external common areas, landscape, new fresh coat of paints and structural defects which developers/ contractor is responsible up to 7/10 years.

The MC is make up of the resident, no?
    Those complain too much should become the MC,
    What ia a good house?
    It is a good house as long as you love it

Quote Originally Posted by Good house
    The MC is make up of the resident, no?
    Those complain too much should become the MC,
    Yup! Kee Chew & agree!

The MC is working on a pro bono basis - they sacrifice personal time to look after the estate. For those who just keeps bitching should pro bono themselves into the committee.

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    This article is pure rubbish. MC cannot change or determine your condo value.
    A good condo potential is one is 3 mantras : Location, MRT, Amenities.

A TOPed condo after DLP (defective liability period) responsibilities lies with the Owner , Not MC. Your kitchen sink, plumbing blah blah is your own internal maintenance.

Your MC can only help with external common areas, landscape, new fresh coat of paints and structural defects which developers/ contractor is responsible up to 7/10 years.
    exactly - took the words right out of my mouth. if people worry about the mc affecting their values they should run for council and give it a shot. not as easy as one thinks and definitely a thankless job in singapore. cant please everybody!

as long as they don't start painting oh biang gigantic flower murals on the blocks like in some HDB estates, i think we should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by irisng

It is not as easy as it sounds. Residents do not have similar agendas. SOme may want a 5 star environment, some may want a budget 2 star environment. The Council has to seek a balance of the various agendas. And usually this makes no one happy. The Managing Agent is tasked to carry out the operations of the Council's decisions. Imagine being a MA when the owners can't agree themselves.

It's not true to say that everything else non internal lies with the Mananagement. Are u gonna blame the MA due to Acts of God? Heavy rain resulting in occasional ponding is poor management?

If changing a lightbulb incurs $300 scafolding cost each time, are u gonna change each blown bulb each time, or wait till 3 bulbs are gone then change?

And lets be real.. there are crazy ppl among the owners who hears and see things in the middle of the night and expect the MA to investigate immediately. This is just part and parcel of being in a society.

huh some condos mc full of foreigners all same typeall same thinking
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    huh some condos mc full of foreigners all same typeall same thinking
    ... how the hell you suddenly bring in foreigners to this discussion? eh ... not every issues lies with them ... i'm on 3 different councils and i can assure you, everyone on it is a local.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionx
    ... how the hell you suddenly bring in foreigners to this discussion? eh ... not every issues lies with them ... i'm on 3 different councils and i can assure you, everyone on it is a local.
    Bro radaa is not entirely wrong .. There are some condo esp in city area more owners are PR n Foreigners ..not local and the MC are mostly this

Any law to restrict the number of foreigner in the MC?
    What ia a good house?
    It is a good house as long as you love it

Quote Originally Posted by Good house
    Any law to restrict the number of foreigner in the MC?
    So long as you are the SP, you have the right to be in the MC.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep