Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law passed to ensure 'what you see is what you get' at showflats

Default Law passed to ensure 'what you see is what you get' at showflats

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...flats-20130408

By Elgin Toh

Developers of private housing projects face more stringent laws on marketing and information disclosure, after Parliament passed amendments to the Housing Developers Act today.

Showflats, for instance, can no longer be made to look bigger than the final product through the use of glass panels instead of brick walls, or higher ceilings.

Transaction prices reported will also have to reflect all forms of discounts and rebates, including furniture vouchers and stamp duty refunds - to counter any artificial inflation of prices by developers.

The amendments give the Government greater power to punish errant developers - with fines up to $100,000 and the power to inspect and, if necessary, close showflats, among other measures.

In laying out the Government's case, Senior Minister of State (National Development) Lee Yi Shyan said the bill would further safeguard the interests of home-buyers and enhance professionalism in the residential property industry.

He noted: "A home is, in most cases, the single largest investment in one's lifetime. It is only right that home-buyers are provided with the appropriate tools and legal safeguards to make informed decisions."

So long then pass the bill?? I thought it was suppose to have started long ago.

finally!

Let the crashes begin!

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Let the crashes begin!
    Is that all you could offer as comments? Nothing but "crashes" ...
    I'm beginning to think that u indeed "clash" with many people by those remarks of yours.... hmmmm

mirror and glass are the lethal weapon for showflat ID ...
    so now cannot use mirror and glass liao?

i also see many new showflat do not have wall or partition but a simple line to separate section to make it looks huge instead of 4 walls ... cramped

now all must have walls ?

Quote Originally Posted by Condomania
    I'm beginning to think that u indeed "clash" with many people by those remarks of yours.... hmmmm

Ya

no idea what has happen to him

something up there must have snapped a few weeks back

With this new measure
    Next best thing to do is to note down all the details of the unit the agent tells you in the brochure or catalogue and get him to sign it off at the end of the tour

Quote Originally Posted by Condomania
    I will never forget the Soh's and the Ye's for smattering my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Simi
    Ya

no idea what has happen to him

something up there must have snapped a few weeks back

With this new measure
    Next best thing to do is to note down all the details of the unit the agent tells you in the brochure or catalogue and get him to sign it off at the end of the tour
    Take pictures all round. Print out and countersign against it? Heh.

u poor thing..muz hv suffered a lot... pls go n see counsellor if need to...

meanwhile hv another dream....

This is good!
    Govt should also banned sales of precious land to crazy developers who build silly size units

Who's the ah Soh n ah ye' ? And what have they done ?
    Instead of cursing and cry fouls , works toward your goal, or set your expectation within your reach..

In fact, u already have a roof called home with all family members under one, you should be contented ...
    Last edited by zzz1; 08-04-13 at 23:15.

Maybe next time showflat shall be the exact replica of the empty unit you will see when you get your keys, together with the wires dangling from the ceiling.

Thought u have a flat at Tiong Bahru plus your parents and in-laws flats? Your net worth is not too bad with all these assets. Should be contented alr what

Show flats are lies......always so beautiful....ceiling high...but the final product is so so and much smaller

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    So long then pass the bill?? I thought it was suppose to have started long ago.
    When it comes to protecting the man in the street, they usually take a long time, lol.

You have a supportive wife (from what I have gathered from your past postings) and 2 children - many people don't even have that.

So please count your blessings, not your "missings"!

(Sigh - somehow, I think you will keep harping about your shattered dreams, instead of having a thankful and grateful heart for the loved ones that you have in your life )

Would like to see brochure floor plan with all dimensions of the units.
    Erect all blocks on the models n not just leave empty space, indicate block to block distance.
    Full pricing list for all units less whatever crap discount.
    A empty show flat less all the ID, a copy exact unit upon TOP showing the A/C, RC ledge, roof terrace and personal enclose space, window, glass panel, railing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NO_7
    Would like to see brochure floor plan with all dimensions of the units.
    Erect all blocks on the models n not just leave empty space, indicate block to block distance.
    Full pricing list for all units less whatever crap discount.
    A empty show flat less all the ID, a copy exact unit upon TOP showing the A/C, RC ledge, roof terrace and personal enclose space, window, glass panel, railing etc.
    (1) Yes, would very much like to see the floor plans with the dimenisons provided, or at least provide the indicative dimensions.

(2) Could show a smaller site plan model with all the blocks erected. The bigger site plan can then have the empty spaces - so that potential buyers can see the facilities (e.g. swimming pools, clubhouse, etc. which are typically located between blocks) easily.

i would like a floor plan that specifies what is the live in space EXCLUDING the air con ledge.

i would like a floor plan that specifies what is the live in space EXCLUDING the air con ledge.
    The worst floor plans are those that didn't show furnitures so that one cannot even gauge the dimensions of the space. Have to rely on width of door.

Sorry my Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Maybe next time showflat shall be the exact replica of the empty unit you will see when you get your keys, together with the wires dangling from the ceiling.

Most of the Malaysia's developments show both units.. 1 with IDs and 1 is bare..

Quote Originally Posted by wt_know
    mirror and glass are the lethal weapon for showflat ID ...
    so now cannot use mirror and glass liao?

i also see many new showflat do not have wall or partition but a simple line to separate section to make it looks huge instead of 4 walls ... cramped

now all must have walls ?
    yes, but there is no stopping developers from halving the wall thickness that can create illusions of space too

So buyers bring their own measuring tapes next time?

Default doesn't say much though

PUBLISHED APRIL 09, 2013
    Blank cheque practice ahead of property launches set to be regulated
    New rules give minister power to put in safeguards

The practice of property agents collecting blank cheques from prospective private home buyers as a form of advance booking ahead of a project's launch will come under greater scrutiny.

New rules under the Housing Developers (Control and Licensing) (Amendment) Bill 2013 empower the Minister for National Development to regulate such activities, if there is a need to do so in the future, though developers will retain flexibility in their marketing and promotional activities, said Senior Minister of State for National Development Lee Yi Shyan.

He revealed this during the second reading of the Bill, which was passed yesterday.

"... the Council for Estate Agencies is already working with the relevant government agencies and the real estate industry to set guidelines on the collection and proper use of cheques. We have also made provisions in this Bill and will monitor the situation before assessing if further regulatory safeguards are needed," he added.

Market watchers say that the practice of collecting cheques varies widely, and a set of guidelines would help to standardise procedures and improve controls. For one, there needs to be greater accountability in the issuance and collection of cheques; for example, the buyer's particulars including identity card number should be properly recorded and kept in a register which can be audited to ascertain the cheques' authenticity so that there is no misrepresentation of demand.

International Property Advisor CEO Ku Swee Yong said: "The more responsible developers do issue booking forms for agents to fill when they collect cheques.

"But in some cases, the developers may leave their agents to do their own paperwork and what sometimes happens is cheques are taken by the agents without issuing the proper paperwork. There's room to tighten rules so the practice is consistent. This paperwork should be issued by the developer rather than the property agency."

Knight Frank chairman Tan Tiong Cheng notes that cheque collections, which are typically based on an indicative price range, are often used by developers to gauge the level of interest in a project before finalising its price, "similar to an IPO process". "So if the number of cheques collected is high relative to units in the project, the developer will price the project at the higher end of the range, and vice versa. Furthermore, the developer will be able to assess the level of interest for different unit types and be able to push out units that will create a sustained sales momentum."

The convenience to the buyer in giving a cheque ahead of launch is that he does not need to queue at the showflat when bookings start. "However, the danger of this practice is that it can lead to hype and create pressure on some buyers," Mr Tan acknowledged. In his speech in Parliament, Mr Lee also said that the amendments to The Housing Developers Act will require developers to provide accurate information on residential transactions to the Controller of Housing "in the same way they would to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for the purpose of loan applications".

"In other words, they will need to disclose any price discount, rebate, or any other benefit, including the reimbursement of any stamp duty or tax granted to home-buyers."

In addition, the amendments arm the Controller with legal power to collect and publish information on building projects, units sold and made available for sale by developers, and sales transactions. "Data collected will be published in an aggregated manner, as frequently as weekly, to aid home-buyers in timely decision-making," said Mr Lee.

The grounds on which the Controller can revoke or suspend a housing developer's licence are being expanded to include the developer's failure to furnish information on the project, its sale and sales transactions.
    Developers are also required to accurately depict homes through showflats. All structural walls of a showflat should be built in the same thickness as the final product. Using a glass panel in lieu of a solid brick wall would be misleading. All "add-ons", such as furnishings and interior fittings, must be duly labelled and made known to buyers.

Besides suspension and revocation of licences and fines, deterrent measures in the amended Act include imprisonment.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    yes, but there is no stopping developers from halving the wall thickness that can create illusions of space too
    sorry no halve wall thickness.
    er.. what is a structural wall and a non-structural wall?
    http://app.mnd.gov.sg/Newsroom/NewsP...ntary%20Speech
    Improving Quality of Information

(A) Showflats

11 First, we will amend Section 22 of the Act to empower the Minister to make rules requiring developers to accurately depict homes through showflats. Many home-buyers base their purchases on what they see in the showflats. It is therefore crucial for showflats to be built to scale, and be “WYSIWYG”, or what you see is what you get.

12 For instance, all structural walls of a show flat should be erected with dimensions as per approved in the approved building plan. Using a glass panel in lieu of a solid brick wall would be misleading. Likewise, the ceiling height of a showflat shall be the same as that approved in the building plan.

13 This Bill also introduces Section 17A to empower the Controller of Housing to investigate and penalise instances of non-compliance with the requirements relating to showflats.

(B) Sales transactions

14 Second, we have made provisions in this Bill to give the Minister new rule-making powers requiring developers to disclose and publish all rebates, discounts and other benefits offered or extended to home-buyers.

15 Over the years, we have noticed more and more developers offering discounts to home-buyers. More recently, some developers have started to mark their units at a higher price, while offering significant discounts through rebates and other benefits such as furniture vouchers. Such inflated sale prices mask the real transacted prices and undermine transparency in the property market.

16 The proposed amendments will require developers to provide accurate information on residential transactions to the Controller of Housing in the same way they would to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for the purpose of loan applications. In other words, they will need to disclose any price discount, rebate, or any other benefit, including the reimbursement of any stamp duty or tax granted to home-buyers.

17 In addition, Section 11 of the current Act will be amended to give the Controller of Housing legal power to collect and publish information on building projects, units sold and made available for sale by developers, and also sales transactions. Data collected will be published in an aggregated manner, as frequently as weekly, to aid home-buyers in timely decision-making.

whatever happened to the need to show pricelist 2 days before launching?

yah. they seem to have ignored that.

also,

there's no stopping developers from building decent 3 bedders and 3 bedder showflats while omitting 1 and 2 bedder showflats?

bcos there are so many "can't see people good" people everywhere.