Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Law passed to ensure 'what you see is what you get' at showflats

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    yah. they seem to have ignored that.

also,

there's no stopping developers from building decent 3 bedders and 3 bedder showflats while omitting 1 and 2 bedder showflats?
    i was about to say that

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    sorry no halve wall thickness.
    er.. what is a structural wall and a non-structural wall?
    http://app.mnd.gov.sg/Newsroom/NewsP...ntary%20Speech
    Improving Quality of Information

(A) Showflats

11 First, we will amend Section 22 of the Act to empower the Minister to make rules requiring developers to accurately depict homes through showflats. Many home-buyers base their purchases on what they see in the showflats. It is therefore crucial for showflats to be built to scale, and be “WYSIWYG”, or what you see is what you get.

12 For instance, all structural walls of a show flat should be erected with dimensions as per approved in the approved building plan. Using a glass panel in lieu of a solid brick wall would be misleading. Likewise, the ceiling height of a showflat shall be the same as that approved in the building plan.

13 This Bill also introduces Section 17A to empower the Controller of Housing to investigate and penalise instances of non-compliance with the requirements relating to showflats.

(B) Sales transactions

14 Second, we have made provisions in this Bill to give the Minister new rule-making powers requiring developers to disclose and publish all rebates, discounts and other benefits offered or extended to home-buyers.

15 Over the years, we have noticed more and more developers offering discounts to home-buyers. More recently, some developers have started to mark their units at a higher price, while offering significant discounts through rebates and other benefits such as furniture vouchers. Such inflated sale prices mask the real transacted prices and undermine transparency in the property market.

16 The proposed amendments will require developers to provide accurate information on residential transactions to the Controller of Housing in the same way they would to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for the purpose of loan applications. In other words, they will need to disclose any price discount, rebate, or any other benefit, including the reimbursement of any stamp duty or tax granted to home-buyers.

17 In addition, Section 11 of the current Act will be amended to give the Controller of Housing legal power to collect and publish information on building projects, units sold and made available for sale by developers, and also sales transactions. Data collected will be published in an aggregated manner, as frequently as weekly, to aid home-buyers in timely decision-making.

ta-da, who will know the difference between a structural or non-structural wall from the developer's brochure? unless it is compulsory to look at detailed engineering plans, you can never tell

I remember in the past when you visit a showflat, you get a nice brochure from the developer which contains a price list stating the selling price of all the units launched, the discount given, and the final selling price. This creates transparency as all prospective buyers know the price range of the project beforehand and agents cannot mislead them.

Unfortunately, this is no longer practised. Instead buyers have to frantically copy the prices of the units from the agent who holds on to the master price list.....

whatever happened to the need to show pricelist 2 days before launching?
    even the current "show flat must show actual unit" thing, I thought it was already in place.
    now looks like, *everything* that has been said before, are simply "guidelines" only, with no enforcement. developer can choose to ignore them.
    KBW should not have missed this.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    even the current "show flat must show actual unit" thing, I thought it was already in place.
    now looks like, *everything* that has been said before, are simply "guidelines" only, with no enforcement. developer can choose to ignore them.
    KBW should not have missed this.
    this is the formal act of legislation. it must be debated and passed in parliament and ministries can't suka suka come up with policies/rules

its also gonna take awhile before it gets implemented. starting from projects which have yet to get approval and those will only be launched a long time later.

I'm not legal expert, but why must this be a "law" ? MAS says you cannot loan x%, and that is immediate, it does not need a law. In the past when CPF money was not allowed to use for 2nd pty unless you get minimum sum etc, the rule was also immediate, I dun remember passing any "amendment" on CPF Act.
    (that's why I said earlier, Tharman should have gotten this KBW job, and let him play with the big shot developers as *financial matters*)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody
    I remember in the past when you visit a showflat, you get a nice brochure from the developer which contains a price list stating the selling price of all the units launched, the discount given, and the final selling price. This creates transparency as all prospective buyers know the price range of the project beforehand and agents cannot mislead them.

Unfortunately, this is no longer practised. Instead buyers have to frantically copy the prices of the units from the agent who holds on to the master price list.....
    haha, terrible. the agent told me it is the developer who decides to do it this way. Says a lot about the developer, in that particular instance it is CDL.

just to add on...

should also show location of lift shafts as well as rubbish chutes on individual floor level, in relation to the units. so that you know where the noise is coming from and whether you are sleeping next to the rubbish chute.
    this info is found only in a few of the brochures.

also the location of the rubbish dump and electrical substation.

doubt these will be included and just got to ask for them.

Very soon we will see showroom cladded with mirrors all round to create the next level of illusion and ultra white glossy floor tiles. Bright LEDS etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    I'm not legal expert, but why must this be a "law" ? MAS says you cannot loan x%, and that is immediate, it does not need a law. In the past when CPF money was not allowed to use for 2nd pty unless you get minimum sum etc, the rule was also immediate, I dun remember passing any "amendment" on CPF Act.
    (that's why I said earlier, Tharman should have gotten this KBW job, and let him play with the big shot developers as *financial matters*)
    MAS and CPF board had vested powers under the relevant legislation to make their announcements and recommendations have immediate effect and the force of law - statutory powers granted to stat boards for limited scope which is subject to regular reviews by ministry of law etc - so their powers are legislatively provided

Bill passing and debate at parliamentary level are for those outside of the norm measures and act amendments such as this one which takes a bit more time and also because of the public sensitivity arising out of this (also to cover backside like that time when they debate about legalizing gambling industry in Singapore) to have deliberate prolonged discussions and properly documented records of them having done so heh

Quote Originally Posted by lifeline
    just to add on...

should also show location of lift shafts as well as rubbish chutes on individual floor level, in relation to the units. so that you know where the noise is coming from and whether you are sleeping next to the rubbish chute.
    this info is found only in a few of the brochures.

also the location of the rubbish dump and electrical substation.

doubt these will be included and just got to ask for them.
    the location of substations and dumps are typically found in the site plan. but no one puts up location of rubbish chute in brochures since it's of no interest. just have to ask if the chute is inside or outside of the unit

even if the site plan shows the locations of substation, rubbish points, etc, develop can change w/o notice.

in my condo, there suppost to hv a linkway to the carpark near a block. but developer didnt build citing overlooked GFA. so those living in the block hv one less access to carpark.

linkway was there in the intial site plan.

Quote Originally Posted by may2012
    even if the site plan shows the locations of substation, rubbish points, etc, develop can change w/o notice.

in my condo, there suppost to hv a linkway to the carpark near a block. but developer didnt build citing overlooked GFA. so those living in the block hv one less access to carpark.

substation is a big thing. unless the site is freaking huge and has multiple options for road access, it is unlikely to shift.

a linkway can't be mentioned in the same breath as a substation.

Quote Originally Posted by may2012

you can ask for paper CAD plans at the showflat. more accurate than showflat or brochure since these have already been approved by the authorities.
    i dont think it is likely they sell first then submit engineering plans.
    more likely they get approval for engineering plans, then sell the project. in the meantime, they "tinker" a bit with brochure, showflat, and the project model. dont trust the siteplan etc. again refer to engineering plans.

To solve all the problem, just by resale property lah. What you see is what you get.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

you can ask for paper CAD plans at the showflat. more accurate than showflat or brochure since these have already been approved by the authorities.
    i dont think it is likely they sell first then submit engineering plans.
    more likely they get approval for engineering plans, then sell the project. in the meantime, they "tinker" a bit with brochure, showflat, and the project model. dont trust the siteplan etc. again refer to engineering plans.
    Or pay $20 go BCA inspect the building plans. Very informative stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    To solve all the problem, just by resale property lah. What you see is what you get.
    some like the smell of new house mah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanarazu
    Or pay $20 go BCA inspect the building plans. Very informative stuff.
    Even so, I understand developer may amend the plans at any time. But they are probably minor changes.

I tried once and it does only show detailed building plans for each level. But it does not provide dimensions for each indivial unit type .

Quote Originally Posted by bsslang
    Even so, I understand developer may amend the plans at any time. But they are probably minor changes.

I tried once and it does only show detailed building plans for each level. But it does not provide dimensions for each indivial unit type .
    Yes building plan can change again but usually to conform to safety regulations, eg creating a fire engine access road into the less accessible part of the estate, changes to wall/door, cabinet length etc to cater to wheelchair accessibility etc.

I managed to find dimensions on only the oldest building plan. If dont have then use 60cm for the depth of wardrobe cabinet and extrapolate from there.

There is an architectural symbol in the plan I don't understand. It's a T in a circle but slanted slightly at a small angle. Usually found in the toilet. What does it mean?

There is an architectural symbol in the plan I don't understand. It's a T in a circle but slanted slightly at a small angle. Usually found in the toilet. What does it mean?
    thermostat?

thermostat?
    But why need a thermostat in the toilet ? 點解?

But why need a thermostat in the toilet ? 點解?
    so that u can 'bomb' in comfort??