Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I do if developer's defect rectification works drag on and on?

Default What can I do if developer's defect rectification works drag on and on?

So many weeks have passed, and developer has definitely breached SPA. Before appointing a lawyer, is there anything else I can do to get the works done ASAP? Many Thanks in advance for your advices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    So many weeks have passed, and developer has definitely breached SPA. Before appointing a lawyer, is there anything else I can do to get the works done ASAP? Many Thanks in advance for your advices.
    Can share which developer?

Get the same lawyer (company) that you appointed for your purchase. If you didnt, get one now. It will cost but better than all this dragging and it wasting your intangible and tangible resources.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Hold on to the last 15% payment, don't pay! Send Developer letter that if by certain date they can't fix, you will engage your own contractor and deduct this costs from the last 15% payments.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Hold on to the last 15% payment, don't pay! Send Developer letter that if by certain date they can't fix, you will engage your own contractor and deduct this costs from the last 15% payments.
    Developer S&P has very clear procedure for defect rectifications, including the option for what u have suggested. Unilateral witholding of payment will result in a very straight-forward legal case, at great detriment to the buyer.

Had similar problem as u n this is what I did:-
    1) get a lawyer
    2) take photos of defects
    3) keep a copy of defect list with the defects logged/ issued date.
    3a) keep copies of all correspondences between u n developer for all defects matter.
    4) once all the given timelines for defects in S&P are breached ( confirmed with yr lawyer), get yr contractor to assess the cost to fix the defects, ask yr lawyer to write to developer's lawyer for compensation based on the cost quoted.
    5) get yr contractor to fix the defects

Well, I managed to get the developer to pay my own contractor for fixing the defects.
    Nothing is impossible as long as u follow S&P. Likewise, as a buyer if one breaches the s&P, developer will take legal action too. It works both ways.
    Last edited by GForce; 04-04-13 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by GForce
    1) get a lawyer
    3a) keep copies of all correspondences between u n developer for all defects matter.
    4) once all the given timelines for defects in S&P are breached ( confirmed with yr lawyer), get yr contractor to assess the cost to fix the defects, ask yr lawyer to write to developer's lawyer for compensation based on the cost quoted.

Well, I managed to get the developer to pay my own contractor for fixing the defects.
    Nothing is impossible as long as u follow S&P. Likewise, as a buyer if one breaches the s&P, developer will take legal action too. It works both ways.
    Thanks for the useful tips - now what to do if I faced similar problems!

Many Thanks to all for your valuable comments and suggestions. I will review my SPA and see exactly what I can do. I remember that the SPA states I am entitled to get my own contractors to do the rectification works and deduct the costs from the last 15% payment provided that I inform the developer in writing before the works start.

I have bought only one unit and still have so much to do. Imagine if I buy and manage 10 or 15 properties like many of you, I will have no time for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlaw
    Can share which developer?
    HH.

I hope I am not defaming it. To be fair, the building materials are good enough. It's their contractor's work that's very lousy. Their contact person always friendly said will do this and will do that next week, but never kept his promise. So fed up. Is this a common practice for all contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by RaZr
    Get the same lawyer (company) that you appointed for your purchase. If you didnt, get one now. It will cost but better than all this dragging and it wasting your intangible and tangible resources.
    Thanks. If I get a lawyer, I will get the same law firm for the purchase. I think the developer should not only pay my contractor but also my lawyer because all these remedial works have been caused by their default.

Thanks. I think these are exactly the provisions of the SPA. I did not start the legal procedures as I hoped the developer would eventually do their job. Now I am so disappointed. Don't they know the legal consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by triple70
    Developer S&P has very clear procedure for defect rectifications, including the option for what u have suggested. Unilateral witholding of payment will result in a very straight-forward legal case, at great detriment to the buyer.
    Thanks. I also think the best way is to avoid a legal case.

Quote Originally Posted by GForce
    1) get a lawyer

Thanks.

I already have 1), 2) and 3).

As for 3a), so far all communications are conducted orally except for the list of defects.

4) and 5) will take a lot of time and energy and bring a lot of unhappiness. That's why I have tried to avoid it. But if I am unlucky, I will have no choice but to go through the whole procedure.

You are still lucky. You have gotten everything done, and the developer paid the costs. Did they pay your legal fees?

Quote Originally Posted by rymccondo77
    Thanks for the useful tips - now what to do if I faced similar problems!
    Good luck to you !

Good luck to you !
    Thanks

All the best for your case - hope everything works out well for you.

HH.

I hope I am not defaming it. To be fair, the building materials are good enough. It's their contractor's work that's very lousy. Their contact person always friendly said will do this and will do that next week, but never kept his promise. So fed up. Is this a common practice for all contractors?
    If I face similar problem, I will spend more time going back to the contractor and ensure they do it ASAP. I will find them in the morning, afternoon and evening. One day go find them at least 3 times, I believe the contractor also don't want to see you so many times per day esp there to nag at them, they will want to fix it for you ASAP.

You need to have time in order to do this.

I went through 3 condos already ... I guess you need to be more insistent, bang table, or know how to PR with the MA ... especially when she's a young girl
    anyway ... you need to know how to exert your rights.
    It can be done ... no point going the legal route ... waste of time ...

Thanks, Lemonlaw and ichigo55.

I guess my husband and I are too soft. Although we go to the site very often but still not enough. The person in charge is an amiable old man with a smiling face. He is always calm and never says no. How do I bang table in this case? I guess he has experienced so much as to be able to behave this way – 修养到家了.

Thanks

All the best for your case - hope everything works out well for you.
    Thank you very much.

There is a chance we are neighbours.

Thank you very much.

There is a chance we are neighbours.
    Hi Mary -

Mine is a different property which will only TOP sometime in 2014.

The advice provided here is useful in case there are defects - and hopefully the defects, if any, are minor!

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread !!

Thanks, Lemonlaw and ichigo55.

I guess my husband and I are too soft. Although we go to the site very often but still not enough. The person in charge is an amiable old man with a smiling face. He is always calm and never says no. How do I bang table in this case? I guess he has experienced so much as to be able to behave this way – 修养到家了.
    You do not need to bang table, just need to keep going and nag, nag and nag will do.

Just smile and talk nicely to them. Just keep appearing and ask how??? how come not done yet? Just pester them till they do up the job for u, no worries, tested and proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlaw
    You do not need to bang table, just need to keep going and nag, nag and nag will do.

Just smile and talk nicely to them. Just keep appearing and ask how??? how come not done yet? Just pester them till they do up the job for u, no worries, tested and proved.
    OK. Will do so from this Saturday.

Thanks Brother.

Hi Mary -

Mine is a different property which will only TOP sometime in 2014.

The advice provided here is useful in case there are defects - and hopefully the defects, if any, are minor!

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread !!
    Oh, misunderstood. It's good you are not as unlucky as me. Cheers.

All the best for your 2014 TOP !

Oh, misunderstood. It's good you are not as unlucky as me. Cheers.

All the best for your 2014 TOP !
    Thanks

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

If you get a lawyer to write to developer, you will be charged for the service right? Why need to pay anything when it is developer's / contractor's fault? Don't need lawyer. Just write to the developer to demand job done as though you are lawyer. Check the SAP and demand for your right...

Thanks. If I get a lawyer, I will get the same law firm for the purchase. I think the developer should not only pay my contractor but also my lawyer because all these remedial works have been caused by their default.

If you get a lawyer to write to developer, you will be charged for the service right? Why need to pay anything when it is developer's / contractor's fault? Don't need lawyer. Just write to the developer to demand job done as though you are lawyer. Check the SAP and demand for your right...
    Bro, FOC lah.... But initial part, fill up defect list and submit... If by certain time no respond, resubmit... If still cannot, just show lawyer the documents and get lawyer to give them ultimatum.

Thanks, teddybear and chestnut.

I think I can write the letter, but somehow I've got the feeling that they are scared of lawyers but not me. I just heard that one neighbour of mine had the same problem as mine. His defect rectification works were delayed by 4 months, and after that his lawyer sent a letter to the developer and it is done now. I will wait until next week.

I think I can write the letter, but somehow I've got the feeling that they are scared of lawyers but not me. I just heard that one neighbour of mine had the same problem as mine. His defect rectification works were delayed by 4 months, and after that his lawyer sent a letter to the developer and it is done now. I will wait until next week.
    There should be a form to fill up the defects.... Dont be overly concern.... Within the 1 year period, the developer is supposed to do up the defects... In other words, during you stay within 1 year from TOP, if there are some more defects, you can ask them to rectify.... So on the 12th month, please do 1 more check (i believe you are staying in) and submit the final rectification to the MA. The lawyer is in the position to write in to give them deadline to fix if you so require.... and it is foc... Same lawyer you used when u bot.... If they dont fix within a certain date, you are to give the quotation for the rectification from your contractor and give them deadline if not, works will be carried out and the monies will be deducted from the last dont know how many % owing to them... All this the lawyer will advise you....
    I know, I kanna before... Most of the time, it is the small time developer that does this kind of thing... Mine was from a small developer..

Hi chestnut,

Thanks a lot for your time and effort to give the details to help me. Now I have a clearer idea of the whole process.

The reason why I am concerned is that the delay in rectification has caused a delay to my renovation works and in turn my move-in. My initial plan was to start renovation after the completion of all rectification works so that the developer and the designer wouldn't have any chance to say certain defects were caused by the other party or things like that.

Is it a usual practice to do both at the same time?

You may want to consider in your future property that be the first few to collect your keys and tell them that you are going to rent it out. Hence, you need them to make good the defects asap. As for your current situation, suggest that talk to them one last time and tell them you will be getting a lawyer if they do nothing. Things get can be rather ugly with lawyer in the picture and they may not do a proper job for you later..