Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I do if developer's defect rectification works drag on and on?

Do not do any renovation work until the defects have been rectified. Otherwise developer will say the damage caused by your renovation contractor. Just curious. How large is your development? Is your developer a reputable one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lee
    Hi chestnut,

Thanks a lot for your time and effort to give the details to help me. Now I have a clearer idea of the whole process.

The reason why I am concerned is that the delay in rectification has caused a delay to my renovation works and in turn my move-in. My initial plan was to start renovation after the completion of all rectification works so that the developer and the designer wouldn't have any chance to say certain defects were caused by the other party or things like that.

Is it a usual practice to do both at the same time?

Thanks DC33. There is so much for me to learn.

Developer is not doing nothing. 1st week they will say do it next week, 2nd week they say already submitted to the management for approval because it costs extra money to replace the thing and management will give approval very soon, 3rd week they say congratulations approval is given will do it next week, 4th week they say the stove we ordered for you has just arrived but we need some pipe (something like that, I don't remember) to install the stove maybe next week….

Something for everybody to have a good laugh in return for your kind help hahahaaa….

Mine is a small developer and small development.

You have to monitor to see if they have cashflow issue.

Developer is not doing nothing. 1st week they will say do it next week, 2nd week they say already submitted to the management for approval because it costs extra money to replace the thing and management will give approval very soon, 3rd week they say congratulations approval is given will do it next week, 4th week they say the stove we ordered for you has just arrived but we need some pipe (something like that, I don't remember) to install the stove maybe next week….

Something for everybody to have a good laugh in return for your kind help hahahaaa….

Mary, it happens with small development.... I know, I was there.... No problem lah... you still hoping a certain % till CSC....

Can you wait?? if cannot, then give them a deadline to finish, failing which you will do your own replacement.... You can use the lawyer for this case if you want it done.... When they see lawyer letter, they know you mean biz and will get it done...

After that experience, I bot all my units from reputable firms...

May i know what will be the common defects be like?

I have seen people even claim against developer on loss of rental income (as investor) and incur rental cost (renting a place as the unit is not habitable). They should be helping you to pay for even property tax as you cannot even stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcakes
    May i know what will be the common defects be like?
    Something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I have seen people even claim against developer on loss of rental income (as investor) and incur rental cost (renting a place as the unit is not habitable). They should be helping you to pay for even property tax as you cannot even stay in.
    Yes, IRAS said no need to pay tax for the period when the unit is under construction (including defect rectification but excluding renovation). Developer will issue a letter to IRAS for me so I can get a refund of taxes paid (the rule is to pay first and then refund, so funny).

I've been paying maintenance fees for nothing and suffering losses of rental yield (I can rent out my current HDB flat if I move into new home earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Mary, it happens with small development.... I know, I was there.... No problem lah... you still hoping a certain % till CSC....

Can you wait?? if cannot, then give them a deadline to finish, failing which you will do your own replacement.... You can use the lawyer for this case if you want it done.... When they see lawyer letter, they know you mean biz and will get it done...

After that experience, I bot all my units from reputable firms...
    Thanks chestnut.

Me too. Not this developer next time.

Went there on the weekend. Looks like developer has finally realized the problem. They have sent another young man to help with the project, and looks like he is doing his job, though slowly. The stove is done, and they have instructed their subcontractors to do some other defects - relationship so complicated.

Mary, you're too nice and too patient. I've been there with a small development with small time developer circa 2004/5. Dragging and dragging. Week after week. Promises never kept. I suggest, where possible, you proceed to withhold the final % payment. Or else you will lose your final bargaining chip and vomit blood later. They are just buying time to the CSC date to obtain their final % payment.

Its the luck of the draw, but from that experience I had learnt so much. I'll never be nice about these or any developer ever again.

Thanks chestnut.

Went there on the weekend. Looks like developer has finally realized the problem. They have sent another young man to help with the project, and looks like he is doing his job, though slowly. The stove is done, and they have instructed their subcontractors to do some other defects - relationship so complicated.

Thanks chestnut.

How long did they take for rectification???? If long, you can get your lawyer to ask for compensation. There will be work involved by you and it really depends whether you want to pursue this route.... Your lawyer will be able to advise you if you want to get more "money". Consult your lawyer on what you can claim from the developer.

Cheers and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    How long did they take for rectification???? If long, you can get your lawyer to ask for compensation. There will be work involved by you and it really depends whether you want to pursue this route.... Your lawyer will be able to advise you if you want to get more "money". Consult your lawyer on what you can claim from the developer.

Cheers and relax.

Hi chestnut,

Many thanks for more suggestions.

I am not very sure if it is worth the time, effort and legal costs to recover the losses. Some more, I do not want to spoil my happy mood to move into a new home, but will wait and see if it is extremely necessary.

You are a very sweet chestnut. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger13
    Mary, you're too nice and too patient. I've been there with a small development with small time developer circa 2004/5. Dragging and dragging. Week after week. Promises never kept. I suggest, where possible, you proceed to withhold the final % payment. Or else you will lose your final bargaining chip and vomit blood later. They are just buying time to the CSC date to obtain their final % payment.

Its the luck of the draw, but from that experience I had learnt so much. I'll never be nice about these or any developer ever again.
    Hi tigger,

Arigato for sharing.

I have no choice mah. At the moment, I only want to get things done ASAP. Actually, my husband and I already got a bit harsh the day before, but the new-comer young man continued to smile at us and said all the nice things will get everything done soonest possible he is ok to be scolded because that is his job and he is used to it…. but actually it is not his fault leh, give him a chance lor.

Yes, we are holding on the last 15% payment. CSC will probably be a couple of years later, they say.

If I had only joined this forum and known you guys earlier, I wouldn't have to suffer all these, sigh.

Just so you know, CSC is not a couple of years from now. It can be so fast that it occurs during the 1 year TOP defects rectification period. quite normal for developers to rush this to get full payment.

Hi tigger,

Arigato for sharing.

I have no choice mah. At the moment, I only want to get things done ASAP. Actually, my husband and I already got a bit harsh the day before, but the new-comer young man continued to smile at us and said all the nice things will get everything done soonest possible he is ok to be scolded because that is his job and he is used to it…. but actually it is not his fault leh, give him a chance lor.

Yes, we are holding on the last 15% payment. CSC will probably be a couple of years later, they say.

If I had only joined this forum and known you guys earlier, I wouldn't have to suffer all these, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger13
    Just so you know, CSC is not a couple of years from now. It can be so fast that it occurs during the 1 year TOP defects rectification period. quite normal for developers to rush this to get full payment.
    I see. Thank you very much for the information. Will keep in mind.

The developer has the right to drag the defect rectification all the way till the stated TOP date on paper and we can't do anything?