Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's how to make HDBs cheaper! PropertyNewbie's suggestions for Mr Khaw

Default Here's how to make HDBs cheaper! PropertyNewbie's suggestions for Mr Khaw

Give the people what they want! Let's make flats cheaper for all the kao peh kao youngsters who want cheap and good location. Here's the catch.

1. All new flats bought after 2014 can NEVER be sublet. These flats will never be kept for investment by upgraders so they are constantly being released back to secondary market, ensuring a stable supply.

So there will be two types of resale flats in future,

either one that is pre2014 and can be sublet after 5 years which will probably be more expensive/above valuation/continue HDB's asset appreciation goal/march toward $2 million

or

one that is bought after 2014 and can never be sublet. These resale flats will almost always be sold under valuation because supply is predictable and constant thus providing a cheap alternative to expensive pre2014 flats.

This will protect asset values of existing owners, at the same time satisfy young couples constant whining of cheaper and good location flats.

2. Post 2014 flats can only be resold to eligible Singaporeans below age 35. They make so much noise that youngsters' housing needs should be especially looked after, so when it's their turn to upgrade, they should only sell back to the youngsters that they care so much and are so vocal about. No resale to PRC, indians, PRs, who can pay so much more. "Nobody should profit so much from public housing" they say....so please walk the talk.

3. Post 2014 flats to be subject to 10 or 15 years MOPs.

4. Post 2014 flats to be subject to monthly income cap of $15,000, and be priced not above 3x annual for most expensive units. Thus a five room at 60th floor with view of South China Sea will sell for only $540,000.

5. Post 2014 flats to be subject to no property tax. They will forever be owner occupied, so it's a kind of rebate for choosing these flats.

Your thoughts?

Hi..this is a brilliant suggestion.

I would proposed a capital gain tax levies for all private owners who owns a HDB.

I will also hope MND/Mr. Khaw to enforce and to get all HDB and Private owners to give up their HDB flat within 24 months, to free up the units available to the re-sales market. This sale proceeds will be subjected to capital gain tax since they (private owners) are already affluent with their private properties.

Private owners who own more than 2 private properties will have to pay additional 15% tax to combat inflation which private housing woes add to our CPI. This will somehow bridge the gap and reminds everyone to start from the basic again.

Can only be sold back to HDB at current cost price so as to protect against inflation.

You keep talking about everyone starting from basic again. What is the logic in that? Well, maybe you are proof that one can go back to basic - instead of going forward . . . seem to be having a mind and mental capacity that degenerates and goes back to pre-pubescent, adolescent years. That's starting from basic again!

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan

I would proposed a capital gain tax levies for all private owners who owns a HDB.

I will also hope MND/Mr. Khaw to enforce and to get all HDB and Private owners to give up their HDB flat within 24 months, to free up the units available to the re-sales market. This sale proceeds will be subjected to capital gain tax since they (private owners) are already affluent with their private properties.

Private owners who own more than 2 private properties will have to pay additional 15% tax to combat inflation which private housing woes add to our CPI. This will somehow bridge the gap and reminds everyone to start from the basic again.

TS not kpkb too?

Quote Originally Posted by mianbao
    Can only be sold back to HDB at current cost price so as to protect against inflation.
    This is too drastic, and will muddle HDB's role as a primary provider of public housing.

I say take out the "investment potential" of a new flat, i.e. the potential to lease it out in future, and we will see an immediate impact on the mindset to "hold on to HDB forever even if we upgrade to condo", leading to a massive increase in secondary supply and stable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by PropertyNewbie
    Give the people what they want! Let's make flats cheaper for all the kao peh kao youngsters who want cheap and good location. Here's the catch.

1. All new flats bought after 2014 can NEVER be sublet. These flats will never be kept for investment by upgraders so they are constantly being released back to secondary market, ensuring a stable supply.

either one that is pre2014 and can be sublet after 5 years which will probably be more expensive/above valuation/continue HDB's asset appreciation goal/march toward $2 million

or

one that is bought after 2014 and can never be sublet. These resale flats will almost always be sold under valuation because supply is predictable and constant thus providing a cheap alternative to expensive pre2014 flats.

This will protect asset values of existing owners, at the same time satisfy young couples constant whining of cheaper and good location flats.

2. Post 2014 flats can only be resold to eligible Singaporeans below age 35. They make so much noise that youngsters' housing needs should be especially looked after, so when it's their turn to upgrade, they should only sell back to the youngsters that they care so much and are so vocal about. No resale to PRC, indians, PRs, who can pay so much more. "Nobody should profit so much from public housing" they say....so please walk the talk.

4. Post 2014 flats to be subject to monthly income cap of $15,000, and be priced not above 3x annual for most expensive units. Thus a five room at 60th floor with view of South China Sea will sell for only $540,000.

5. Post 2014 flats to be subject to no property tax. They will forever be owner occupied, so it's a kind of rebate for choosing these flats.

Your thoughts?

This is the most stupid idea. Make HDB cheap so more foreigners with PR can buy hdb cheaply?

You need to ban PR from buying HDB first.
    狮子王 (formerly blackjack21trader): READ MY LIPS: NO MORE CRASH FOR 60 YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcakes
    TS not kpkb too?
    Well existing owners has got to join in and make their concerns known. If the current trend continues, i.e. the young couples get everything they want, this will lead to declining asset values for existing HDB owners.

They want cheaper, something has got to give.

Quote Originally Posted by sgbuyer
    This is the most stupid idea. Make HDB cheap so more foreigners with PR can buy hdb cheaply?

You need to ban PR from buying HDB first.
    Read properly. I am suggesting post2014 flats can only be resold to eligible Singaporeans. Foreigners PRs can only buy pre2014 resale flats

Read properly. I am suggesting post2014 flats can only be resold to eligible Singaporeans. Foreigners PRs can only buy pre2014 resale flats

Oh, in that case it doesn't solve the problem because everyone will go to pre2014 and force the prices even higher. Everyone will buy pre2014 flats because they can be rented out.

Still silly idea.

No need to think so hard. The solution is simple - just ban PR from buying all HDB flats. Make them rent.

1. Banks no need scare if PR run road if recession comes - which is round the corner.
    2. Singaporeans can buy resale cheaply and rent to PRs.
    3. BTO prices can fall because they are pegged to resale prices.

All Singaporeans win this way. LOL

Oh, in that case it doesn't solve the problem because everyone will go to pre2014 and force the prices even higher.

Still silly idea.

No need to think so hard. The solution is simple - just ban PR from buying all HDB flats. Make them rent. All Singaporeans win this way.
    Exactly let the PRs/Singaporeans above 35 etc go for the pre2014s to support the gradual price appreciation curve.

Let the Singaporeans <=35 choose from a shielded post2014 secondary market without competition from the foreigners.

Exactly let the PRs/Singaporeans above 35 etc go for the pre2014s to support the gradual price appreciation curve.

Let the Singaporeans <=35 choose from a shielded post2014 secondary market without competition from the foreigners.

Why make things so complicated?

Just ban PR lah. Why so difficult? PR can always convert to citizen or marry Singaporean if they want to buy HDB.

If want to speculate, buy private property. Private property is for speculation.

Govt should launch 100,000 units of private property land, allow build to 50-60 stories just like HK to maximize plot ration. Let PR have a chance to buy private property.
    Last edited by sgbuyer; 30-03-13 at 09:50.

HDB resale: supply does not match demand, be it for rental or for purchase

any move to ban SPRs from buying will immediately force the rental to go up 20% overnight ... PC developers will have reason to hike price immediately
    Ride at your own risk !!!

wah....dun sabo the young people leh. like that cooling measures will never end leh...my heart is weak now...please dun sabo.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    wah....dun sabo the young people leh. like that cooling measures will never end leh...my heart is weak now...please dun sabo.
    Not sabo la...it's to help them achieve their cheap and good and big melons warcry. in few years time if this is implemented young Singaporeans will only be competing among themselves in the post2014 resale market, with similar incomes. Dun need to fight with those foreigners who pay with cash and other rich folks.

This is to help genuine Singaporean young owner-occupiers buy a cheap resale post2014 with no prospect of ever renting it out. Of course if they want to keep and rent out their flats in future, then they have to pay and buy a pre2014 resale flat.

Sorry if I'm too harsh with my words. Your method seems to be punishing those youngsters (without any housing yet) for making so much noise and support those owners who have already made a pile of money to make even more.

IMHO, people hold back their HDB because there is a rental demand and with the rental income , it helps to finance their dream pc, so in a way this causes a shortage of resale HDB flats. Another point is because of the rule, if you buy HDB first, you can buy pc but not the other way round, so lots of people are very unwilling to sell their HDB in case they cannot buy back their HDB should they one of this days want to stay in HDB again unless they sell all their pc away which I think is very unlikely for most people. Like my case, I hope to stay back in HDB again but I'm not allowed to buy any resale HDB now because I'm staying in an EC (already >13 yrs) unless I sell my EC away but still needs to wait for certain period of time before I can buy resale HDB, so where should I and my family stay during this period of waiting. Very unwilling to rent because since I already have a home, why should I waste that sort of money.

Can PR rents direct from HDB? If not, why don't HDB allows eligible PR to rent direct from them at a slightly higher prices than eligible Singaporeans. HDB can make use of the leftover flats to rent it to those eligible PR. Firstly, this will help to make use of the vacant flats (so no wastage), secondly helps to increase HDB revenue, thirdly, it might have some impact on public rental and resale market since rental demands have dropped.

Smile

or

Your thoughts?
    These are excellent points. Please email Mr Khaw and send to straits time forum.

I see where the TS is coming from, he want to ascertain whether the current complaints come from genuine demand for cheap housing or because from sore eyes people who want to buy cheap now and sell high later. If the demand for post 2014 flat is non existence, we will get the answer. Very smart TS.

Intentionally or unintentionally, I view, the govt wants the resale flat price high, so there is no need to support the old aged in years to come, they can sell their HDB and retire at Iskandar

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Sorry if I'm too harsh with my words. Your method seems to be punishing those youngsters (without any housing yet) for making so much noise and support those owners who have already made a pile of money to make even more.

IMHO, people hold back their HDB because there is a rental demand and with the rental income , it helps to finance their dream pc, so in a way this causes a shortage of resale HDB flats. Another point is because of the rule, if you buy HDB first, you can buy pc but not the other way round, so lots of people are very unwilling to sell their HDB in case they cannot buy back their HDB should they one of this days want to stay in HDB again unless they sell all their pc away which I think is very unlikely for most people. Like my case, I hope to stay back in HDB again but I'm not allowed to buy any resale HDB now because I'm staying in an EC (already >13 yrs) unless I sell my EC away but still needs to wait for certain period of time before I can buy resale HDB, so where should I and my family stay during this period of waiting. Very unwilling to rent because since I already have a home, why should I waste that sort of money.

Can PR rents direct from HDB? If not, why don't HDB allows eligible PR to rent direct from them at a slightly higher prices than eligible Singaporeans. HDB can make use of the leftover flats to rent it to those eligible PR. Firstly, this will help to make use of the vacant flats (so no wastage), secondly helps to increase HDB revenue, thirdly, it might have some impact on public rental and resale market since rental demands have dropped.
    The only ones who are complaining now are those young couples who don't own a hdb and scream

"back to basics"
    "we dun want to compete in resale market with foreigners/PRs"
    "we just want a roof over our heads"
    "hdbs should never be rented out"
    "hdb owners who upgrade to PCs should sell their HDBs".

If that is so, then they should get what they wish for.

With the new measure, there WON'T be a shortage of resale HDBs. Just go and buy those post2014 ones! Upgraders will have to SELL cos they can't rent their post2014 flats out. How many of those flats will join the secondary market each year? There were 17,590 private property purchases with HDB addresses in 2012, 13,910 in 2011 and 13,780 in 2010.

Its exactly of the "investment" potential of HDBs that provides the price appreciation of resale flats. There will be ample supply of HDB rental units with pre2014 flats.

Young people won't be punished la. If they shout "BACK TO BASICS!" and yet secretly want to rent out their flats in future, buy pre2014 resale lor.

TS is right.

i think the only way now is to create another type of public housing w/o investment values. eg cannot sublet, shorter lease, non-mature location, simple designs, smaller flat, cannot sell in open market, etc.

the idea is for new couples to buy and make babies. being cheaper, they can save for a normal hdb, resale hdb, or private condo which is bigger, mature locations, better facillities, etc. in future sooner.

at the same time, existing owners of hdb and pte will not be adversely impacted.

it best of both world i think.

Quote Originally Posted by may2012
    i think the only way now is to create another type of public housing w/o investment values. eg cannot sublet, shorter lease, non-mature location, simple designs, smaller flat, cannot sell in open market, etc.

There's already this kind of flat, they are called rental flats. There's no need to invent a new kind of HDB when there's an existing one that does the same thing. Rental flats cannot sublet, lease only 1 year and simple design.

HDB can build 100,000 3-room rental flats that they can rent for S$500/mth to Singaporeans to make babies. Whenever they don't need it, they can always return it to HDB with 3 month's notice - cannot sell in open market.

I'm sure they will be very popular.

or

Your thoughts?
    i support and second your proposal. for the sake of the future generations having cheap supply of housing, pls let good brother Khaw and MnD know about these excellent ideas. i support!

or

Your thoughts?
    S$15K monthly household income is too high lah. Such individuals can easily afford PC, plus if the flats are already going so low, these potential flat owners should not be earning so much more than Singaporean's average income. S$12K is good for the time being. Plus, you already proposed zero property tax so S$15K income bracket is maybe a tier too high for them to enjoy such good perks...

Bravo on the 10yr MOP for these flats... Pt 2 is also splendid...

TS not kpkb too?
    haha good one

Oh, in that case it doesn't solve the problem because everyone will go to pre2014 and force the prices even higher. Everyone will buy pre2014 flats because they can be rented out.

Still silly idea.

No need to think so hard. The solution is simple - just ban PR from buying all HDB flats. Make them rent.

1. Banks no need scare if PR run road if recession comes - which is round the corner.
    2. Singaporeans can buy resale cheaply and rent to PRs.
    3. BTO prices can fall because they are pegged to resale prices.

All Singaporeans win this way. LOL
    pre-2014 flats' lease will run out eventually whereby hdb can take back and sell as new post-2014 flats. The resale mkt of the pre-2014 flat will naturally & gradually whither on its own.

TS not kpkb too?
    TS is not kpkb, he is providing real solution to the problems highlighted by the KPKB.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan

You think Mr Khaw has a brain as small as an ant?

Think of a scenerio of one who has a 4 rm / 5 rm / E flat with parents, spouse and children staying in; the couple decide to buy a MM for investment, if such rule implements, it is obvious they will be given a choice to dispose either the HDB or MM and not "must dispose HDB". Which 1 they dispose, I use my underneath to think also know the answer. If you know the answer which to dispose, the second question is, will there be an increase of resale flats?

Don't just think of yourself, lucky you are not the Minister of MND.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng

After selling away all private, wait 30 months and can buy HDB.

Mean while, all things goes to warehouse, rent a room for everyone to squeeze for that 30 months or get a nice / cheap already TOP property under someones name in Malaysia and go in and out of Malaysia for 30 months.

Why not whether is pre or post 2014, that is from now or as soon as possible, all new flats, people can opt for either investment type of non investment type and pay different amount according to what they choose and in between can change between the 2 by top up or rebate according to needs in the future.

Just like normal car plate and weekend car plate.

or

Your thoughts?
    Gahmen run out ideas - force to swallow bitter lies that HDB no longer fit for public housing - now force to eat humble pie - now to go back to basic purpose of public housing in the 1960/70s -

Adopt SDP ideas lah !!!