Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back to basic for HDB

Default back to basic for HDB

If you look at the new HDB BTO launched over the past past few years... alll have very nice design.. some are even nicer than pte condo.

Questions:
    1) HDB suppose to provide cost effective housing solution to low income folks.. so.. it is necessary to go for these nice exterior design and thus making low income folks to pay more for something that they ill afford?

2) all nenw bto have very nice gardens or greenery surrounding.. such such as garden on top of car parks... do you think this cost should factor into the final cost and eventually pass down to buyer? If yes, does it goes against the core-purpose... providing low cost housing to the poor..

What do you think?
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    If you look at the new HDB BTO launched over the past past few years... alll have very nice design.. some are even nicer than pte condo.

Questions:
    1) HDB suppose to provide cost effective housing solution to low income folks.. so.. it is necessary to go for these nice exterior design and thus making low income folks to pay more for something that they ill afford?

2) all nenw bto have very nice gardens or greenery surrounding.. such such as garden on top of car parks... do you think this cost should factor into the final cost and eventually pass down to buyer? If yes, does it goes against the core-purpose... providing low cost housing to the poor..

What do you think?
    Back to basic, though the prices might not be that cheap as previous but at least it cut down some of the cost. I know govt good intention is to let the HDB dwellers to have a green environment with rooftop gardens etc but is it necessary? Some people might enjoy while others might not and yet they still have to contribute that sum of money. Previously, there was no tiles being done and the door was those normal wooden type but now flooring was done and doors were upgraded to those fire-proof type though you can opt out both and get your own contractor to do but for some of those low and average income group, they might be quite satisfy with those normal wooden type of door without the need to pay for the extra.

Questions:

What do you think?
    i think is necessary to have nice design. why want to build low quality house even is to cater for lower income? either u do it good or don do. the worst is "half-pass-six" standard. spore public flat is one of the nicest in the world

Aiyah all the people want us cheap n high standard housing. They want all the frills but cheap cheap. Build no frills all kpkb again.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Nowadays, at the HDB office, the staff are so polite.
    When they hand the keys to you, they will congratulate you.
    The keys are arranged nicely in a nice looking holder.

Scrap all the sky bridges. That should help save some cost. Those windy conditions not good for old folks to chill out there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    i think is necessary to have nice design. why want to build low quality house even is to cater for lower income? either u do it good or don do. the worst is "half-pass-six" standard. spore public flat is one of the nicest in the world
    Nice design comes with "nice cost". Are some of them willing to pay or not? Some even suggest building swimming pool at their block.

just to put everything in context.

just years ago, tampines launched BTO, near the swimming pool, and 4/5 rooms going at 300-400+ thousand. next, DBSS launched just a road away and 4/5 rooms went at 600/700+ thousand.

do the frills, provided in DBSS units, justify the $300k premium??
    i believe such frills should be removed. BTO flat owners can do a real good renovation with $100k

Singaporeans were the ones asking for gardens, nicer doors, furnished bathroom, tiles and even kitchen previously. That is why they came out with premium flats (which I bought many years back).

Questions:

What do you think?

DBSS is crap. We shouldn't even have DBSS. It is a waste of land IMO.

But still, we cannot say for all. Some don't mind paying more for balcony, condo like finishing etc. Some might like barebones flats, some like condo like flats. Rationally thinking, we should have DBSS/EC but IMO, we should kick DBSS out.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    just to put everything in context.

just years ago, tampines launched BTO, near the swimming pool, and 4/5 rooms going at 300-400+ thousand. next, DBSS launched just a road away and 4/5 rooms went at 600/700+ thousand.

do the frills, provided in DBSS units, justify the $300k premium??
    i believe such frills should be removed. BTO flat owners can do a real good renovation with $100k

Questions:

What do you think?
    please allow me to unveil the uncomfortable truth. to your 1st point, the owners pay through CPF. if they were to get bare BTO flats and take up a reno loan, they pay through cash and incur a higher interest rate.

TA-DA!!!!!

to your 2nd point, it is paid for through the monthly maintennance fees. a couple of hundred units share a playground - i think we should be able to figure out who gets ripped off

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    DBSS is crap. We shouldn't even have DBSS. It is a waste of land IMO.

But still, we cannot say for all. Some don't mind paying more for balcony, condo like finishing etc. Some might like barebones flats, some like condo like flats. Rationally thinking, we should have DBSS/EC but IMO, we should kick DBSS out.
    i agree some like condo-like finishing, but at a $300k premium???!!! and we all know from newspaper reports that the finishing is still crap.

go figure out who got the bad end of the deal

Questions:

What do you think?
    Not forgetting the fact that people are getting more sophisticated and demanding therefore they want cheap and nice... sigh... govt is in a v difficult position. They might want to consider building one or two blocks with no extra cost pumped into the look... but more will still go for the v nice looking ones...

Dbss is a real waste of money. If the difference is a $100k I still can accept. Any more and it's a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Dbss is a real waste of money. If the difference is a $100k I still can accept. Any more and it's a waste of money.
    Totally agreed... Lol...

i believe the "no-frills" discussion is framed by this context. it is not about cutting out gardens, parks, playgrounds, but the super-duper-marked-up interior frills that jack up the selling prices of flats

Quote Originally Posted by irisng
    Back to basic, though the prices might not be that cheap as previous but at least it cut down some of the cost. I know govt good intention is to let the HDB dwellers to have a green environment with rooftop gardens etc but is it necessary? Some people might enjoy while others might not and yet they still have to contribute that sum of money. Previously, there was no tiles being done and the door was those normal wooden type but now flooring was done and doors were upgraded to those fire-proof type though you can opt out both and get your own contractor to do but for some of those low and average income group, they might be quite satisfy with those normal wooden type of door without the need to pay for the extra.
    Agreed. Some ended paying more than what they are bargining for

Super Agreed on this.
    BTW, all thanks to the SUPER SIM LIAN for making HDB ceasing DBSS...
    spoiled market!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    SO, when neighbor look nicer, do you really feel better?
    How about by making neighbour looks nicer... it became a show case how well the ruler has achieved?

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks
    Nowadays, at the HDB office, the staff are so polite.
    When they hand the keys to you, they will congratulate you.
    The keys are arranged nicely in a nice looking holder.
    Really?
    I recalled when I collected my first key of my house... it was just an plain envelop with full of keys....

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    Singaporeans were the ones asking for gardens, nicer doors, furnished bathroom, tiles and even kitchen previously. That is why they came out with premium flats (which I bought many years back).
    I think otherwise.. buyer will want nicer environment since they have already paid high price.

How about trying this...
    Give Singaporean two choices..

1) No frill, but low cost housing..
    2) NIce, but at current cost housing..

I think the low cost one will sell better than nicer... cos some day later.. the surrounding will be upgraded...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

You miss the words in RED.
    Adding in these words, I bet most will chose (2) i.e. current costs' housing rather than low cost housing (that is for the bottom 10% poor people)...

I think otherwise.. buyer will want nicer environment since they have already paid high price.

How about trying this...
    Give Singaporean two choices..

1) No frill, but low cost housing.. AND NO ASSET APPRECIATION POTENTIAL! (can only sell back to HDB at costs - wear & tear & depreciation amount)
    2) NIce, but at current cost housing.., WITH ASSET APPRECIATION!

I think the low cost one will sell better than nicer... cos some day later.. the surrounding will be upgraded...

Super Agreed on this.
    BTW, all thanks to the SUPER SIM LIAN for making HDB ceasing DBSS...
    spoiled market!!!!
    DBSS prices should not be decided by developer. cos it should be a HDB+ to begin with. As for EC, I think it is fair to let the developer decide cos it is a PC-.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    You miss the words in RED.
    Adding in these words, I bet most will chose (2) i.e. current costs' housing rather than low cost housing (that is for the bottom 10% poor people)...
    NO.. I disagree with your BIG RED WORDS. Please don't insert words...

if want asset apreciate appreciation... go pte.
    The problem we have today is DUE to asset appreciation.

Not everyone can afford play the game...

DBSS prices should not be decided by developer. cos it should be a HDB+ to begin with. As for EC, I think it is fair to let the developer decide cos it is a PC-.
    Yup.. some how... I think the DBSS is a ripped off.

KBW would have listening to the rcent Today's online program on cost of housing. Good luck to existing hdb owners if they are to listen to them. PCs is going to move.

what was mentioned?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Well, I believe otherwise.
    The only way to know who is right is for govt and MND to implement another very low cost "no asset appreciation" "must sell back to HDB at cost price and deducting wear and tear and depreciation" class of HDB flats, and let people choose the new category of low cost HDB flats vs existing HDB flat system. Then we will know who is right and who is wrong based on the majority's choice...

NO.. I disagree with your BIG RED WORDS. Please don't insert words...

if want asset apreciate appreciation... go pte.
    The problem we have today is DUE to asset appreciation.

Not everyone can afford play the game...

Go to today online video clip of housing cost. It is a 50 minutes clip.
    what was mentioned?

They will just go back to the original mission of hdb: affordable housing but not fanciful housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Well, I believe otherwise.
    The only way to know who is right is for govt and MND to implement another very low cost "no asset appreciation" "must sell back to HDB at cost price and deducting wear and tear and depreciation" class of HDB flats, and let people choose the new category of low cost HDB flats vs existing HDB flat system. Then we will know who is right and who is wrong based on the majority's choice...