Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crystal ball

Default crystal ball

At this point in time, if u could buy a 1BR in CCR (or nearby) or 2BR in a nice OCR - which would u?

Looking to stay in 5 years and wondering which will appreciate more.

Sifus pls comment.

For own stay I will choose 2BR in OCR as it will be better value for money and I would have more space.

For investment I will also choose 2BR in OCR provided the condo is near MRT and near amenities.

IMHO, 2 bedder OCR for own stay, 1 bedder CCR for investment.

buy 2 bedder OCR (near MRT) for investment and own stay...

1-bedder CCR should get you 2-bedder RCR, 2+S or 3-bedder OCR. I am in similar situation like you, I took 2-bedder RCR eventually as we are small family, 2-bedder seems like a right fit for own stay.

2 BR OCR, near to MRT, going to TOP within the next 1 year.

CCR is out. Rental can't even support the installment now.

Quote Originally Posted by greglhc
    At this point in time, if u could buy a 1BR in CCR (or nearby) or 2BR in a nice OCR - which would u?

Sifus pls comment.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    2 BR OCR, near to MRT, going to TOP within the next 1 year.

CCR is out. Rental can't even support the installment now.
    Oxley Edge, 2bedroom 377sqft.

Sifus pls comment.
    Both Freehold? I will choose CCR. even though many say choose OCR, near MRT. try taking MRT during peak hours. your tenant will scare stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    Both Freehold? I will choose CCR. even though many say choose OCR, near MRT. try taking MRT during peak hours. your tenant will scare stiff.
    ...likewise try driving during peak hours.....or try to get a cab during peak hours....

realise my phrasology not that gd

looking for FH or LH999 - for own stay over the next 5 years cos I'm moving back to sg soon. I'll be staying alone.

So which u think will have better upside and marketability in 5 years?

My concerns are this
    1. CCR - like someone mentioned, not really gd market now, both in terms of tenants and resale. but what is it like in 5 years? seeing that there will be more and more foreign investment. But also maybe foreign investment will only want to buy the super-lux type of condo which I can't afford anyways

2. OCR - if I buy in this region, I believe will need to get at least a 2BR (although I dont need the space), in order to resell later on to HDB upgraders. My concern here is that I think the prices seem high already and affordability to this segment is a major thing these days - maybe not so much cap appreciation opportunity already.

Dont buy. Just rent our properties. We have many many for you to choose from.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

i'm not seletar la

wait for a few months first and then see. government wants a correction.

LKY has given some insight: More migrants with talents; Property Prices; and GDP per capital is way ahead of countries in the region.

Lee Kuan Yew speaks about Singapore's changing demographics
    By Imelda Saad |
    Posted: 20 March 2013 2047 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said a country that does not grow its population risks dissolving "into nothingness".

Mr Lee was speaking at a wide-ranging dialogue session organised by Standard Chartered Bank on Wednesday evening.

Joining Mr Lee for the dialogue was former chairman of the US Federal Reserve and former chairman of US President Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board, Paul Volcker.

This was the first time Mr Lee was speaking about Singapore's changing demographics since the Population White Paper was endorsed in Parliament.

The paper, which projects 6.9 million people by 2030, charts the country's strategies in managing a shrinking and ageing population.

A question on Japan's ageing society during the dialogue triggered the discussion.

Mr Lee noted how Japan refused to take in migrants and that led to the situation it is facing today.

Mr Lee said: "So I see a nation reduced to half in 20 years, and if it still continues with the same policy, reduced to a further half, and eventually, it is all over!

"To have a nation, you must have people and you must have young people to be able to drive the economy and young people buy the products - all these gadgets and fine dining - and if you don't have that, and you refuse migrants as the Japanese do, you will just dissolve into nothingness! I think before that comes, they may change (their) policy."

A question on China's one-child policy was also raised during the dialogue.

Mr Lee said China is headed in the wrong direction with this policy as a shrinking and ageing population will mean assets, such as property prices, will go down.

"Property prices will go down, assets will go down. There is no younger generation to put the pressure up so I think it is heading towards the wrong direction," said Mr Lee.

He added Singapore is in a similar position with its low total fertility rate but the difference is that Singapore takes in migrants to make up for the numbers.

Mr Lee pointed out that authorities here maintain a "certain quality of control" and that is one reason why he feels other emerging ASEAN economies are unlikely to surpass Singapore anytime soon.

Mr Lee said: "They will make progress but if you look at the per capita they have got, the differences are so wide. We have the advantage of quality control of the people who come in so we have bright Indians, bright Chinese, bright Caucasians so the increase in population means an increase in talent."

- CNA/fa

TS want to stay in 5 years. Don't like this lah. 377 sq ft is not for human.

Oxley Edge, 2bedroom 377sqft.

realise my phrasology not that gd

looking for FH or LH999 - for own stay over the next 5 years cos I'm moving back to sg soon. I'll be staying alone.

So which u think will have better upside and marketability in 5 years?

My concerns are this
    1. CCR - like someone mentioned, not really gd market now, both in terms of tenants and resale. but what is it like in 5 years? seeing that there will be more and more foreign investment. But also maybe foreign investment will only want to buy the super-lux type of condo which I can't afford anyways

2. OCR - if I buy in this region, I believe will need to get at least a 2BR (although I dont need the space), in order to resell later on to HDB upgraders. My concern here is that I think the prices seem high already and affordability to this segment is a major thing these days - maybe not so much cap appreciation opportunity already.
    If u were to look at ccr and ocr prices, the gap has narrowed. Would there be a higher upside for ccr or higher downside for ocr?

If you are staying, where do you work? If you are working in ocr, of course get ocr. If you are working in cbd, just go try drive or take mrt to work from ocr. Go try. You will appreciate ccr unit.

Dont know where u hear rental mkt in ccr has soften. Big unit yes, but small one, is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    TS want to stay in 5 years. Don't like this lah. 377 sq ft is not for human.
    The 377sqft unit is very efficient. No balcony or huge aircon ledge. I have seen some unit that is 600sqft but has such a huge balcony and planter. Need to look at the floorplan rather than just the area.

If u were to look at ccr and ocr prices, the gap has narrowed. Would there be a higher upside for ccr or higher downside for ocr?

If you are staying, where do you work? If you are working in ocr, of course get ocr. If you are working in cbd, just go try drive or take mrt to work from ocr. Go try. You will appreciate ccr unit.

Dont know where u hear rental mkt in ccr has soften. Big unit yes, but small one, is still going strong.
    yeah increasingly inclined to believe that CCR is a better investment for long term since price gap with OCR has narrowed. Plus I think there will be wealthier and lifestyle oriented foreigners in the future.

Oh 377 sq ft no way for me to live in. Min 500 sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    LKY has given some insight: More migrants with talents; Property Prices; and GDP per capital is way ahead of countries in the region.

Lee Kuan Yew speaks about Singapore's changing demographics
    By Imelda Saad |
    Posted: 20 March 2013 2047 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said a country that does not grow its population risks dissolving "into nothingness".

Mr Lee was speaking at a wide-ranging dialogue session organised by Standard Chartered Bank on Wednesday evening.

Joining Mr Lee for the dialogue was former chairman of the US Federal Reserve and former chairman of US President Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board, Paul Volcker.

This was the first time Mr Lee was speaking about Singapore's changing demographics since the Population White Paper was endorsed in Parliament.

The paper, which projects 6.9 million people by 2030, charts the country's strategies in managing a shrinking and ageing population.

A question on Japan's ageing society during the dialogue triggered the discussion.

Mr Lee noted how Japan refused to take in migrants and that led to the situation it is facing today.

Mr Lee said: "So I see a nation reduced to half in 20 years, and if it still continues with the same policy, reduced to a further half, and eventually, it is all over!

"To have a nation, you must have people and you must have young people to be able to drive the economy and young people buy the products - all these gadgets and fine dining - and if you don't have that, and you refuse migrants as the Japanese do, you will just dissolve into nothingness! I think before that comes, they may change (their) policy."

A question on China's one-child policy was also raised during the dialogue.

Mr Lee said China is headed in the wrong direction with this policy as a shrinking and ageing population will mean assets, such as property prices, will go down.

"Property prices will go down, assets will go down. There is no younger generation to put the pressure up so I think it is heading towards the wrong direction," said Mr Lee.

He added Singapore is in a similar position with its low total fertility rate but the difference is that Singapore takes in migrants to make up for the numbers.

Mr Lee pointed out that authorities here maintain a "certain quality of control" and that is one reason why he feels other emerging ASEAN economies are unlikely to surpass Singapore anytime soon.

Mr Lee said: "They will make progress but if you look at the per capita they have got, the differences are so wide. We have the advantage of quality control of the people who come in so we have bright Indians, bright Chinese, bright Caucasians so the increase in population means an increase in talent."

- CNA/fa
    Well, he never know admitted his mistakes of the "stop at 2" policy which killed and halted native Singaporean growth. His greatest boo boo is his claim the National pledge is only an aspiration. To me this speak a lot about the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    Well, he never know admitted his mistakes of the "stop at 2" policy which killed and halted native Singaporean growth. His greatest boo boo is his claim the National pledge is only an aspiration. To me this speak a lot about the man himself.
    Stop at 2 was a neccesity at that time. No one knows that it is so successful and tat singapore economy grow so fast.

Appreciate advice from gurus. Just bought a 2 bedroom D11 PC. Tenanted till end 2014. Yield above 3.5%. Intend to stay eventually. Should I sell my HDB and then rent a place first, to get refund of the 7% ABSD. Or bite the bullet and not sell HDB and pay ABSD? HDB is fully paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Matador
    Appreciate advice from gurus. Just bought a 2 bedroom D11 PC. Tenanted till end 2014. Yield above 3.5%. Intend to stay eventually. Should I sell my HDB and then rent a place first, to get refund of the 7% ABSD. Or bite the bullet and not sell HDB and pay ABSD? HDB is fully paid.
    I assume you want to stay once the lease is over.

Let's say the ABSD is about 100k. If you sell the HDB and rent a place at 4k a month, and assuming you rent for next 18 months - you save 28k overall. I guess financially it depends if you need the 28k now at this very moment.

However, is it not possible to keep the HDB to allow for rental yield and/or cap appreciation, after you move into the D11 2BR?

Office Boy finds it very very very strange why people keep asking the same question (over and over and over again!) with one UNIVERSAL (not Bugs Bunny one!) answer.

It all depends one whether you think property prices is going to go up or not ? Right ?

If you think property prices is going to go up (which is why you quickly buy into D11 - good move - congrats!) then of course keep BOTH properties and pay the ABSD!

If you think HDB prices will dip, then quickly sell now and save the ABSD!

I hope people stop asking such questions again, I know you are newbie, but these questions are way below a newbie !

Or are these people testing us ??!!

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    It speaks more about you...

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    Office Boy finds it very very very strange why people keep asking the same question (over and over and over again!) with one UNIVERSAL (not Bugs Bunny one!) answer.

It all depends one whether you think property prices is going to go up or not ? Right ?

If you think property prices is going to go up (which is why you quickly buy into D11 - good move - congrats!) then of course keep BOTH properties and pay the ABSD!

I hope people stop asking such questions again, I know you are newbie, but these questions are way below a newbie !

DKSG
    dun anger la bro. That question is legitimate la. For example, the answer you gave him is a very good one. It teaches many new birds here old skills lor

Guess you make sense, Office Boy.

Now my decision is clearer. I think for most people (me included) it's not so much about whether prices going up or down.

It's this mental barrier (and the anguish) of paying over 100k tax for nothing that is hard to overcome. So sell.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG

DKSG

If I rent a place at 3k a month (only 3 person household), and still collect rent of 4.5k for the D11 apartment, I guess it makes sense. So perhaps sell the damn HDB and don't have to feel the anguish of paying the 7%.

I assume you want to stay once the lease is over.

Let's say the ABSD is about 100k. If you sell the HDB and rent a place at 4k a month, and assuming you rent for next 18 months - you save 28k overall. I guess financially it depends if you need the 28k now at this very moment.

However, is it not possible to keep the HDB to allow for rental yield and/or cap appreciation, after you move into the D11 2BR?

Stop at 2 was a neccesity at that time. No one knows that it is so successful and tat singapore economy grow so fast.
    oh? so lky doesnt believe in success of singapore at that time, so is that why he implemented stop at 2?
    yet he claimed credit for singapore success?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    oh? so lky doesnt believe in success of singapore at that time, so is that why he implemented stop at 2?
    yet he claimed credit for singapore success?
    Wah lau, at that time we are still early stage of development. Knn, dont any how twist words lah. Also, i credit him and the older generations for the success of singapore.

Guess you make sense, Office Boy.

Now my decision is clearer. I think for most people (me included) it's not so much about whether prices going up or down.

It's this mental barrier (and the anguish) of paying over 100k tax for nothing that is hard to overcome. So sell.
    I agree. But I dun think the barrier is mental. IT IS A REAL BARRIER.

The stamp duty is as good as taking a big portion of the capital gains away.