Thread: HDB income rule for singles may be tweaked

Default HDB income rule for singles may be tweaked

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...eaked-20130311

HDB income rule for singles may be tweaked

Published on Mar 11, 2013

THE income-level criterion for singles who can buy new flats from the Housing Board may be adjusted upwards, depending on whether the demand is manageable, said Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan yesterday.

This follows his announcement in Parliament last Friday that singles can now buy two-room flats directly from the Housing Board for the first time, if they are 35 and over, and earn no more than $5,000 a month.

The new flats may be available as early as July in younger estates such as Sengkang.

Mr Khaw said the restrictions are part of a "first step".

"I hope it (the subscription rates) is manageable. Then we can look to raising the income level."

In the case of singles, he added that his priority should be those who earn less than others at the higher end of the wage bracket.

"Suddenly you get tens of thousands (of applicants), and you are then forced to ballot," he said.

"But when you ballot, the one who is lucky may not be the one who needs it the most."

About 4,000 singles buy homes in the resale market every year, but options remain limited due to climbing prices. This new policy is likely to bring down the prices of such resale flats.

Reiterating his key point about making gradual changes rather than sudden alterations, he said some solutions are not ready yet because of the focus on more immediate needs.

"So singles who earn more than $5,000, please be patient," he said. "You have waited for many years, and I have gingerly taken this first step."

POON CHIAN HUI

Hrmmm...if adjusted upwards to 10k income, it may kill the MM condo market. Why pay 6xxk for a MM condo when you can get a similar size hdb bto for only 120k?

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Hrmmm...if adjusted upwards to 10k income, it may kill the MM condo market. Why pay 6xxk for a MM condo when you can get a similar size hdb bto for only 120k?

The 400k more is for the facilities
    Didn't I say kbw is keen to forced press the prices?

u seriously want to compare a 2R HDB flat against a 1BR MM? one trump card for the latter - environment

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    u seriously want to compare a 2R HDB flat against a 1BR MM? one trump card for the latter - environment

Nowadays new condos more cramped up than hdb loh. Maybe their first batch of 2 rooms HDB in Sengkang purposely build beside Sengkang or Buangkok mrt and sell for 120k.

Nowadays new condos more cramped up than hdb loh. Maybe their first batch of 2 rooms HDB in Sengkang purposely build beside Sengkang or Buangkok mrt and sell for 120k.
    i'm not talking about interior. i'm talking about environment. if you don't get what i mean, please go talk a stroll where these 1R/2R HDB units and see for yourself.

paying for a better environment comes at a hefty price tag on our tiny island. if you really go to hdb blocks with two room squatters, you will find many low income mat yoyos living there receiving welfare benefits n constantly fund people urinating at the stairway n scribbling graffiti on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    paying for a better environment comes at a hefty price tag on our tiny island. if you really go to hdb blocks with two room squatters, you will find many low income mat yoyos living there receiving welfare benefits n constantly fund people urinating at the stairway n scribbling graffiti on the wall.

definitely. not only that, i found my ex-neighbour peddling drugs, and we were living, then, in an EA smacked in a quaint pasir ris neighbourhood and with a mosque nearby. can u imagine my digust at them praying every friday and yet selling such stuff in their homes (and with 4 kids living there)?

that was what triggered my move to a PC - you can't put a price to safety in the environment

Bro, u have seen so many projects.

Am sure u know that size matters, but it is not the only thing that matters.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

It is tough to compare bto price vs resale flat price vs condo price vs landed vs gcb.

Imo, only 3room resale flat will get the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy
    It is tough to compare bto price vs resale flat price vs condo price vs landed vs gcb.
    Yes bro. Diff asset classes.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

The following is taken from CNB website so you know who are the majority:

Drug Abusers by Ethnic Group

The ethnic profile of drug abusers remained similar to previous years. In 2010, Malays formed 48% (1376 out of 2887) of drug abusers arrested. This is followed by Chinese, who comprised 1050 or 36% of drug abusers arrested. Indians comprised 14% and other races comprised 2% of abusers arrested in 2010.

From 2009 to 2010, arrests of Chinese and Indian abusers increased by 14 (1%) and 29 (8%) respectively. While the number of Malay drug abusers arrested has fallen by 13% compared to ten years ago in 2000, from 2009 to 2010 the total number of Malay abusers arrested increased by 218 persons (a 19% increase from 2009), and new Malay abusers arrested increased by 92 persons (a 19% increase from 2009).

definitely. not only that, i found my ex-neighbour peddling drugs, and we were living, then, in an EA smacked in a quaint pasir ris neighbourhood and with a mosque nearby. can u imagine my digust at them praying every friday and yet selling such stuff in their homes (and with 4 kids living there)?

that was what triggered my move to a PC - you can't put a price to safety in the environment

The following is taken from CNB website so you know who are the majority:

Drug Abusers by Ethnic Group

The ethnic profile of drug abusers remained similar to previous years. In 2010, Malays formed 48% (1376 out of 2887) of drug abusers arrested. This is followed by Chinese, who comprised 1050 or 36% of drug abusers arrested. Indians comprised 14% and other races comprised 2% of abusers arrested in 2010.

From 2009 to 2010, arrests of Chinese and Indian abusers increased by 14 (1%) and 29 (8%) respectively. While the number of Malay drug abusers arrested has fallen by 13% compared to ten years ago in 2000, from 2009 to 2010 the total number of Malay abusers arrested increased by 218 persons (a 19% increase from 2009), and new Malay abusers arrested increased by 92 persons (a 19% increase from 2009).
    well, my ex neighbours not only abused, but they peddled!!!!!

for that, 2 adults were arrested and sentenced to 5 and 7 years of imprisonment respectively PLUS 10 (or was it 12) strokes of rotan!!!

Woohoo!!! Justice to the butt meted

these lowlife drug scums deserve every stroke of that rotan, i got no sympathy for them.

well, my ex neighbours not only abused, but they peddled!!!!!

for that, 2 adults were arrested and sentenced to 5 and 7 years of imprisonment respectively PLUS 10 (or was it 12) strokes of rotan!!!

Woohoo!!! Justice to the butt meted

these lowlife drug scums deserve every stroke of that rotan, i got no sympathy for them.
    i only pity the 4 kids who have to fend for themselves without a father figure

i always believe nurturing is important, delinquent behaviour can sometimes be genetic. I don't think the CNB stats have changed much in terms of proportion of drug offenders since CNB started.

i only pity the 4 kids who have to fend for themselves without a father figure

i always believe nurturing is important, delinquent behaviour can sometimes be genetic. I don't think the CNB stats have changed much in terms of proportion of drug offenders since CNB started.
    that's why they are at high risk of getting into a vicious cycle. growing up with family members who are abusers/peddlers may cause them to treat such behaviors as acceptable or even perpetuate similar habits.....sigh

bro, when it is in their genes, normal behavior will be perceived as abnormal. those that grow up normal are really in the minority of the minority. even with a few good ones trying to be good, their biker hooligan n drug abusing peers will put pressure on them to be delinquents. the downward pressure from their circles is much stronger than the pressure to improve in society.
    that's why they are at high risk of getting into a vicious cycle. growing up with family members who are abusers/peddlers may cause them to treat such behaviors as acceptable or even perpetuate similar habits.....sigh