Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenobi-wan revealed the hard truth

$5k today is like $2k 10 years ago...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    So some number crunching. seems like suddenly all statistic experts.

if 80% of single earn under 5K. so 80% X 223K = 178K

178K is 5.5% of the core Singaporean population of 3.2M

223K - 178K = 45K

Assuming grads earn more than diploma . So base on the break down above abt we can assume abt 5000 single graduates dont earn more than 5K. Could be they are under performers or under reporting income etc. either way its a low % above 35 single working grads. 5% of 50K grads.

I think the single grads are doing ok. Post sec and below singles that would need more help.
    Definitely grads are doing ok, but being to highly edicated has reduced their ability to think big, hence becoming v self centered. U give them 6k, they will still say not enough as they will compare with the guy at goldman sach drawing 5digits.

Indeed, those post sec and below need more help, which is why this scheme, and i applaud this.

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    $5k today is like $2k 10 years ago...
    Yah, but 10yrs ago hdb bto is $1xxk

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    1) unemployment rate (I suspect if we count sc alone... it will showed must higher unemployment rate... I doubt gahment would dare to tell us that PR has higher employment rate than SC)
    i suspect this is hard truth
    FT come here work, then choose to take up PR. So, of cos PR will have higher employment rate la... if the FT are unemployed, i doubt his PR application will be approved (even if he want to apply for PR)...

So, unless there is a way to see the employment rate of 2nd generation PR who grow up here, then we can use it to compare against SC employment rate...

i didn't say guarantee and i didn't say those without grad cert earn less than 5k.

what i m saying is there are likely to be more >35 year old single grads (uni+poly) than non grads who earn more than 5k, agree? of course there are grads who earn less than 5k and non grads who earn more than 5k.

u mean have grad cert must guarantee earn more than 5K? I know Singaporean without grad cert earn more than 5K . How can that be then?

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    FT come here work, then choose to take up PR. So, of cos PR will have higher employment rate la... if the FT are unemployed, i doubt his PR application will be approved (even if he want to apply for PR)...

So, unless there is a way to see the employment rate of 2nd generation PR who grow up here, then we can use it to compare against SC employment rate...
    2nd generation PR male will have to go through NS, then become citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    What is this? Graduate enrollment priority is always for sc. But enrollment is low because sc prefers to work and party, no desire to upgrade edu level. Others are willing to burn weekend and weekday evening to do assignments. Some even willing to take paycut to study full time. Pls dont any how conclude about "edu for foreigners, ns for sc"
    Hello?
    Did I hear you wrongly? sc want fun and no edu?

Hat off to you... 59.96%!
    This would be my last post to you... say what you want...cos am not prepare to waste time on you...
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    no wonder MOM labour/income reports never breakdown SCs, SPRs and foreigners ... i think SCs 80% are in the dark side of the moon
    LOL .. funny description "dark side of the moon". Well perhaps.

Anyway, it might just be true as wat uncle khaw has said, since median salary is about $3k anyway (saw this in some mom report). In any case, his defence in the parliament was not wrong. If adjust upward $5K cut-off, those earning the lower end of $1-$5000 could be marginalised lei ... Furthermore, if hdb application for couple has combined income capped at $10k, logical cut-off for single is of coz half of that rite

Quote Originally Posted by leesg123
    What is this? Graduate enrollment priority is always for sc. But enrollment is low because sc prefers to work and party, no desire to upgrade edu level. Others are willing to burn weekend and weekday evening to do assignments. Some even willing to take paycut to study full time. Pls dont any how conclude about "edu for foreigners, ns for sc"
    are u a foreigner?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI?
    Did a quick search and from MOM website year 2012 our median gross monthly income is $3480/-, including employer CPF, So if based on this figure 80% of single earn below 5k should be correct, right?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/statistics-pub...ngs-wages.aspx
    thanks for the link .. it's definitely more productive like this

There r so many reasons why among the singles, 8 out of 10 earn < $5k. Not forgetting age range is 35 & beyond. As one grows older, realities of life such as retrenchment, redundancies, etc. etc. etc. come into play. And these, could be some factors that determine your pay cheque. Don see why it should be a surprise to see a single (even if he or she is a graduate) at the age of 45 for instance, cannot be earning less than $5k. Not everyone can have smooth-sailing career progression, some just have more hard-knocks in life perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by august
    are u a foreigner?
    no, but i have chosen to do my msc during the evening while my friends are partying or going to bkk over weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Hello?
    Did I hear you wrongly? sc want fun and no edu?

Hat off to you... 59.96%!
    This would be my last post to you... say what you want...cos am not prepare to waste time on you...
    i didnt say no edu, i say no edu upgrading, since we are talking about GRADUATE program.

First, I am skeptical about 80% of singles earning less than $5k. Second, it is ridiculous to peg it to half the total income of a couple buying flats. Coz these couples can buy their flats at age 28 earning say $9.5k total. By the time these couples reach age 35, they may be earning $13k total. Should it be pegged to the married couples at age 35 instead? Room for improvement...

Hmm ... if govt must make sure those in the 'singles' grp won't lose out to the 'couples' grp, then how to encourage people to get married & set up familites. Besides, the income bar for families to purchase was raised to $10K for a few reasons, one of which is rising wages & of course people settling down later, some in the 30s ...

Went interview recently was told to accept salary between 3k to 3.5k though i have worked for almost 7 years. All i can say is, NOT EVERYONE LIFE IS AS LUCKY AS YOU!!!! Cleaner also hardworking what. Hardwork , good working attitude doesn't = High pay

this is to ensure happiness of singles age 35 and above earning < 5k pm, about 200k of them, 10% of voters leh

at least when they reach 50, they can upgrade to MM/1br

HUAT ah HUAT ah
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcakes
    Went interview recently was told to accept salary between 3k to 3.5k though i have worked for almost 7 years. All i can say is, NOT EVERYONE LIFE IS AS LUCKY AS YOU!!!! Cleaner also hardworking what. Hardwork , good working attitude doesn't = High pay

Correct.. means must do high value job. i.e. skill set improvement.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Correct.. means must do high value job. i.e. skill set improvement.
    unless if you are in IT or engineering etc... correct me if i'm wrong
    I think i need to learn how to "POR" management. Next, build network. The rest is NOT IMPORTANT. U got network, no need skill set. Sigh..... I'm worth 3k worse than fresh grad. If tried everything still doesn't work, then no choice have to sleep. The only skill set left is know how to "sleep" and must sleep with the right person.

unless if you are in IT or engineering etc... correct me if i'm wrong
    I think i need to learn how to "POR" management. Next, build network. The rest is NOT IMPORTANT. U got network, no need skill set. Sigh..... I'm worth 3k worse than fresh grad.
    that's why some retrenched pmet rather become taxi driver.
    Ong lai ah!

no wonder people are joining teaching.

Hardworking so what? Good attitude so what? Must show to the right person at the right time. Arghhhh... so angry.

that's why in Singapore you must be in top 20% of cohorts b4 40, save and invest smartly, to have any hope of comfortable retirement

the lower 80%, unless born with silver spoon, be prepared to drive taxis

situation is much worse than 10y ago, 10y ago u say 5k I still think ok, now 5k is like half the peanut (thanks to SM Goh wife to invent this term)

the hard truth in America, Singapore not far behind:

both EQ and IQ is needed.

3-3.5k is not that much more than a fresh grad pay.... sad lah.

Quote Originally Posted by taggy

naturally to get PR need to be employed.
    everyone can guess but no one can confirm... if govt reveals i think there will be a second political tsunami and backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    3-3.5k is not that much more than a fresh grad pay.... sad lah.
    That's why I'm still stuck in my current job.

Hardworking so what? Good attitude so what? Must show to the right person at the right time. Arghhhh... so angry.
    Can really feel your agony.... I v good attitude at work but nobody sees it so in the end I got a lousy grade for performance one year... damn sad... agree totally w you that must show to the right person at the right time...

That's why I'm still stuck in my current job.
    Guess your current job is paying you > $3.5k/mth. V important to persevere in one's work, not just for yourself but for those who depends on you, like parents and children/spouse...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

But angered >80% of voters through continuous consecutive CMs? (remember, >90% of voters own their properties! )

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    this is to ensure happiness of singles age 35 and above earning < 5k pm, about 200k of them, 10% of voters leh

at least when they reach 50, they can upgrade to MM/1br

HUAT ah HUAT ah