Thread: What is agent commission?

Default What is agent commission?

My parent wanted to sell their semi-d but agent wants to charge 2% commission. Personally, I find it is too high as it cost almost $100k. Is that the normal market rate? Thanks in advance for your advise.
    When is the right time to buy my next property?

Quote Originally Posted by FREDDIE
    My parent wanted to sell their semi-d but agent wants to charge 2% commission. Personally, I find it is too high as it cost almost $100k. Is that the normal market rate? Thanks in advance for your advise.
    2% agent commission is the norm for the seller.
    However it is negotiable.
    Naturally, if the commission is attractive, the agent will be more motivated to market the place.

Some agents are bargain-able

The unit I bought, the agent accepted only 1%(!!). Needless to say, my agent was not too pleased his co-broke fee is only 0.5%.

For a $5m house, I think some agents will gladly take 1.5% comm.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercarp
    2% agent commission is the norm for the seller.
    However it is negotiable.
    Naturally, if the commission is attractive, the agent will be more motivated to market the place.

If he or she can get the price u want, 2% is nothing... negotiate with the agent on a taget basis from a lower commission upwards
    When you have eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    If he or she can get the price u want, 2% is nothing... negotiate with the agent on a taget basis from a lower commission upwards
    Noted with tks
    When is the right time to buy my next property?

2% is ok if the agent can fetch u an offer of 5% above valuation.

For property price that more than 1.5 mil just go for 1% unless he/she can get very good price for you.
    1% of 1.5 mil is $15k and if he co-broke with bother agent he still can get $7.5k.

i always tell my agent my target price (to pocket). the rest, she can keep or we share half.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

isn't it good that your family got a landed semi-d?

are you guys downgrading to condo or hdb?

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    yea!!
    agent also need $$ to search for buyer too.. give them the 2% as a token of appreciation.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

can request to waive off the 7% GST. 7% of $100k = $7k hor.......can go on a nice trip to europe with the money

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    agent also need $$ to search for buyer too.. give them the 2% as a token of appreciation.
    bro, say this after you have sold your first ppty.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

since when agent charge 2% commission for resale private? dont be a carrot head.

i paid my agent 2% when he sold my property even though we agreed and signed for 1% cos he got $30k more than i had expected...he was grateful and aprreciative that i gave him2%...cos he worked hard for it...almost 30 viewings and finally closed....he is now my preffered agent and one of the few that i have high regard for......anyway bottomline...COMMISION is flexible...can talk one..
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

just have to correct wrong perception of 2% commission as standard.
    all of my friends and the agents we know (including those cold call ones) work with 1% commission; and they are no less hardworking or less professional. feel that it is in the rapport and interaction - genuine motivated seller (dun waste agent's time) and conscientious agents looking for long-term relationship plus referrals.

IN 2007 i nego agent comms at 0.5% as i was the one who approached her with the opportunity and she happened to have a buyer who decided on the first and only viewing.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    bro, say this after you have sold your first ppty.
    i doubt it will happen in my lifetime..
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    i paid my agent 2% when he sold my property even though we agreed and signed for 1% cos he got $30k more than i had expected...he was grateful and aprreciative that i gave him2%...cos he worked hard for it...almost 30 viewings and finally closed....he is now my preffered agent and one of the few that i have high regard for......anyway bottomline...COMMISION is flexible...can talk one..

If sold just $30k more than agreement and you willing to pay an additional of 1%. What I think of is 3 room HDB flat. 3 room HDB flat seller 2 % that is normal lar. You are so good and can squeeze the agent to signed 1% com initially.