Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you stomach the bad news??

Default Can you stomach the bad news??

These bad news include (according to Sitoh Yi Pin MP of Potong Pasir):

1. We will increase the number of places in universities and polytechnics and 60% of Singaporeans will become PMETs, but some graduates will never stay in private housing or own a car. This is because 85% of housing are HDB flats and only 1/3 of families have a car presently and these numbers will not change drastically.

2. This country needs to continue to be run as a meritocracy. There is no other feasible alternative. The best will get more. One may rightly question the norms of meritocracy, as in what makes a person more meritorious? One may even ask why are there so many brand-name schools in the more affluent areas in Singapore and not in the new HDB estates. And in the harsh reality of meritocracy, we also expect the meritorious to do what is necessary for meritocracy to remain relevant – they must contribute more than others to the betterment of the society and maximize welfare for everyone living and working in Singapore. Meritocracy cannot be “take and take” by the best and the ablest without any obligation to serve and contribute.

3. Even if we increase our TFR to 2.1 in 2013 suddenly, we will need to import labour to care for the elderly over the next 20 years. The babies born now or in the near future will not be ready to look after the 900,000 baby boomers retiring over the next 20 years. We are not even talking about money here, but just simply the number of hands needed to care for the number of elderly we will have in 10 to 30 years’ time.

4. Our public hospitals will continue to give good care that is accessible and affordable to all. But we will have to continue to have waiting times and the latest high-tech expensive care options will not be available to all. Ultimately, healthcare is a trade-off between affordability, accessibility and quality. Usually, quality in terms of expensive care is of a lower priority, although we will not compromise patient safety. This is true for most developed countries in the world.

5. We will make our public transport reliable again and increase capacity. But COEs may never go back to the days of old again. There are limits to our car population just as there are limits to our human population.

6. We will limit the influx of foreign labour into Singapore, but we cannot shield our workers from competition. The reality is that our workers will still be competing day and night, 24-7 with workers in China, India or Indonesia.
    Ride at your own risk !!!

This is the hard truth for Singapore to survive.

I like his being v frank, and not beating about the bush with terms such as "still not acceptable". We appreciate your honesty.

I see nothing wrong if your first property is HDB flat. In fact hdb is the best value for money.

1) hdb offer the highest yield when u rent out.
    2) low fix loan interest rate at 2.6%
    3) very low property tax.
    4) no maintenance fee.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    This is the hard truth for Singapore to survive.
    So what it means is
    1. know the truth or deny it
    2. If you u know the truth, you either accept it or deny it and bitch
    3. If you accept it, you need to find a solution or bitch about it.
    4. To find the solution, you need to read up a lot and take calculated risk (subject to your risk appetite) or give up and accept that you cannot find a solution and bitch.
    5. Once you have the solution, you need to constantly monitor and re-evaluate as the market today is very dynamic.

Over the next 2 years, anyone waiting for a major recession is waiting for the sky to drop. The govt around the world are doing whatever to get things going.

No prob for me, I'm a simple person with simple requirements and very happy with my life. No car, not living in condo, no big house, small paycheck, married yet living happily.
    Last edited by Allthepies; 07-03-13 at 08:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    No prob for me, I'm a simple person with simple requirements and very happy with my life. No car, not living in condo, no big house, small paycheck, married yet living happily.
    Like your style.... But you are deeper than that.... You already have most things planned. Hahahahahaha

You are too humble bro....you are in better position financially than a lot of people.

That to me is the ultimate benchmark that everyone aspired to have.

It does help if you have more material wealth, but whats the used if yu not able to enjoyed it and fear of been out of a job.

because your boss is staying late and you dare not leave the office or the fact that the boss drive a honda and u need to downgrade to a cheery or a picanto so as to not outdo the boss.

Live life as it is, thats the best.

6. We will limit the influx of foreign labour into Singapore, but we cannot shield our workers from competition. The reality is that our workers will still be competing day and night, 24-7 with workers in China, India or Indonesia.[/QUOTE]

To point out , we have indonesian domestic helpers and s-pass n p-pass holders. Other then that , I don think we have any laborers..

On the competition, it a hard facts, is global ..

My helper just had an operation, and I did the housework...it is not easy. So, give up all cooking, just buy in.

When I retired, I decided to live simple and cut expenses, but find that, it is not easy. So I decided to SKI (spend kid's inheritance).

I decided to live happy, enjoy life, travel while I still can walk.

And you can probably make 200k after 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by star
    I see nothing wrong if your first property is HDB flat. In fact hdb is the best value for money.

1) hdb offer the highest yield when u rent out.
    2) low fix loan interest rate at 2.6%
    3) very low property tax.
    4) no maintenance fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    My helper just had an operation, and I did the housework...it is not easy. So, give up all cooking, just buy in.

When I retired, I decided to live simple and cut expenses, but find that, it is not easy. So I decided to SKI (spend kid's inheritance).

Enjoy the time that is given to us, we only have one life to live.

same as me except me haven't decide to marry
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    So what it means is
    1. know the truth or deny it
    2. If you u know the truth, you either accept it or deny it and bitch
    3. If you accept it, you need to find a solution or bitch about it.
    4. To find the solution, you need to read up a lot and take calculated risk (subject to your risk appetite) or give up and accept that you cannot find a solution and bitch.
    5. Once you have the solution, you need to constantly monitor and re-evaluate as the market today is very dynamic.

Over the next 2 years, anyone waiting for a major recession is waiting for the sky to drop. The govt around the world are doing whatever to get things going.

problem is, the bitching group will grow bigger and bigger, and eventually the bitchers will throw out PAP. whether or not the next govt better or worse, i shall not comment.
    There is no good or bad location. There is only good or bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera

1. We will increase the number of places in universities and polytechnics and 60% of Singaporeans will become PMETs, but some graduates will never stay in private housing or own a car. This is because 85% of housing are HDB flats and only 1/3 of families have a car presently and these numbers will not change drastically.
    of coz lah. say now the graduate nos are 25%. all from "good" university like NTU NIE and maybe SMU. next time 60%, sure got kuching kurak univeristy. how to expect all uni graduates to be same level?

Won't happen coz most Opposition parties are weak.

But even for better or worse, SG will be alright.
    If new Govt is for the better, then we benefit straight away. PAP reflects, regrets and maybe restructures

If for the worse, then PAP will have restructure to People's benefit and take mantle again in next GE.
    President's key intact with ex-PAP's Tony Tan.
    Civil Service will still function.

You've gotta ask why the bitching group is getting bigger - and if collectively they have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz
    problem is, the bitching group will grow bigger and bigger, and eventually the bitchers will throw out PAP. whether or not the next govt better or worse, i shall not comment.

I think the most ridiculous comment below and made by numerous MPs is the foreigners will support me when I am old. From what i know, I am supporting my own parents. My dad is supporting himself his own investments and savings. Not a single foreigner friend or otherwise has helped to support my parents. I doubt that if i grow old, the foreigners will suddenly support me. It's either myself or my children or future children. Sitho Yih Pin better give a good example of which foreigner has helped to provide food and lodging to his parents? In fact, these foreigners crowding our land is making lives difficult for the elderlies. These foreigners take up most of the seats in buses and MRTs and our elderlies sometimes have to stand. These foreigners accept cheap wages to be cleaners and force the aged to collect newspapers and cardboxes as a living. And Singapore refuse to implement a minimum wage.

As far as I know, none of these foreigners has helped to support my parents. And there is no welfare for elderly in Singapore. They have to support themselves. I make sure that I save enough today so that I can support myself when I grow old.

These bad news include (according to Sitoh Yi Pin MP of Potong Pasir):

2. This country needs to continue to be run as a meritocracy. There is no other feasible alternative. The best will get more. One may rightly question the norms of meritocracy, as in what makes a person more meritorious? One may even ask why are there so many brand-name schools in the more affluent areas in Singapore and not in the new HDB estates. And in the harsh reality of meritocracy, we also expect the meritorious to do what is necessary for meritocracy to remain relevant – they must contribute more than others to the betterment of the society and maximize welfare for everyone living and working in Singapore. Meritocracy cannot be “take and take” by the best and the ablest without any obligation to serve and contribute.

3. Even if we increase our TFR to 2.1 in 2013 suddenly, we will need to import labour to care for the elderly over the next 20 years. The babies born now or in the near future will not be ready to look after the 900,000 baby boomers retiring over the next 20 years. We are not even talking about money here, but just simply the number of hands needed to care for the number of elderly we will have in 10 to 30 years’ time.

4. Our public hospitals will continue to give good care that is accessible and affordable to all. But we will have to continue to have waiting times and the latest high-tech expensive care options will not be available to all. Ultimately, healthcare is a trade-off between affordability, accessibility and quality. Usually, quality in terms of expensive care is of a lower priority, although we will not compromise patient safety. This is true for most developed countries in the world.

5. We will make our public transport reliable again and increase capacity. But COEs may never go back to the days of old again. There are limits to our car population just as there are limits to our human population.

6. We will limit the influx of foreign labour into Singapore, but we cannot shield our workers from competition. The reality is that our workers will still be competing day and night, 24-7 with workers in China, India or Indonesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    I like his being v frank, and not beating about the bush with terms such as "still not acceptable". We appreciate your honesty.
    Wonder why he didn't make such "honest" statements during his GE campaign speeches huh

Quote Originally Posted by Shanhz

You're right. I better retain my PR in other countries in case need to escape from this country in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry

You're right. I better retain my PR in other countries in case need to escape from this country in the future.
    UK ,right?

Uk is good but tax is high ..so is cost of living, i think..

the 18th century buildings around uk are nice.
    I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” - Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Quote Originally Posted by roly8
    UK ,right?

Uk is good but tax is high ..so is cost of living, i think..

the 18th century buildings around uk are nice.
    Haunted or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni
    honesty? or running out of ideas to solve problems?

Laguna ... I really like your SKI (or SKII)

Laguna ... I really like your SKI (or SKII)
    Bro Ghost
    My HNW daughter, talked to me last nite, wants a property from me for her stay and free....how?

Bro Ghost
    My HNW daughter, talked to me last nite, wants a property from me for her stay and free....how?
    show her this, show her that you have spent a lot on her and it is time to spend on yourself :-)

show her this, show her that you have spent a lot on her and it is time to spend on yourself :-)

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...%20Tuition.jpg
    haha, she would say, now need $900,000 to bring up a child, I only spent $500,000 on her, so there is still owing her $400,000

haha, she would say, now need $900,000 to bring up a child, I only spent $500,000 on her, so there is still owing her $400,000

walao, this is going to happen to me in 15-20 years time.
    Ong lai ah!

Quote Originally Posted by august
    honesty? or running out of ideas to solve problems?
    I think here think there - there is no solution.

This whole scenario is so complex it cannot be solved. The root of it is meritocracy, which cannot and will not be removed.

To continue with meritocracy, we can only have population increase. If we have population increase, the quality of experience of our infrastructure goes down. How to build so much infrastructure to support the population with our tiny piece of land?

People who desire better quality pays more. Cannot pay means cannot have.

It's honesty that there is no solution here. Everybody creates the problem, and nobody can solve it. Those who claim they want to solve the problem by allowing free fall will create another set of problems that goes against the spirit of meritocracy.

Circular logic and situation - how to solve?

the $400k was spent by the state on her leow. so since you pay income and ppty tax, indirectly the state's money come from you. so that 900k already blow budget. ask her go and work for it.