Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went property hunting today

Default Went property hunting today

As I have some time this week, went for house hunting.

I saw 2 properties today and apparently they are both owned by ang-moh....hmmmm just wondering if they are cashing out now....

I asked the agents and they said one looking to buy house in uk and the other one in Australia.

har! so fast the FT are leaving already?

Mind saying where u viewed?

I think the foreigners who are not totally familiar with the CM details may fear that the measures are getting Punitive. For example maybe they start fearing capital gains taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Werther
    As I have some time this week, went for house hunting.

I saw 2 properties today and apparently monthey are both owned by ang-moh....hmmmm just wondering if they are cashing out now....

I asked the agents and they said one looking to buy house in uk and the other one in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by may2012
    har! so fast the FT are leaving already?
    Had a talk over dinner with my frd who is a HR profession in MNC firm. Mentioned the company 2013 budget for NEW expat used HDB housing allowance instead of Condo as per their previous year. At first I'm doubtful that EXPAT will even stay in HDB.... but recently my mum's block itself got an AngMo family just moved in!!?? unbelievable to see them walking to downstair hawker buy food every morning... actually just feel a little weird

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

That your company is not employing EXPAT, these are called "Foreign Worker"!

Quote Originally Posted by charm
    Had a talk over dinner with my frd who is a HR profession in MNC firm. Mentioned the company 2013 budget for NEW expat used HDB housing allowance instead of Condo as per their previous year. At first I'm doubtful that EXPAT will even stay in HDB.... but recently my mum's block itself got an AngMo family just moved in!!?? unbelievable to see them walking to downstair hawker buy food every morning... actually just feel a little weird

Quote Originally Posted by charm

really ??

shud tell you friend to post an article on ST ... so that other mncs can follow suit ...

so those expat FW wont be so ya ya

initially, i saw them at my coffee shop ordering beer by the bottles with that ice tub.

then they even migrated to the hawker centre without the beer auntie / girl serving them.

it's been happening for at least over a year already.

since those guys want to cash out to buy something else where, might as well low ball them.

Actually, there are quite a number of westerners working in Singapore on local packages earning around $7,000 to $8,000 a month (including their housing allowance).

It's no longer that strange to see them renting HDB flats.

What would be strange would be seeing them:
    a. drink Tiger with ice
    b. buy Wan bao
    c. feeding rice to the stray cats
    d. burning joss paper

Heh

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    initially, i saw them at my coffee shop ordering beer by the bottles with that ice tub.

then they even migrated to the hawker centre without the beer auntie / girl serving them.

it's been happening for at least over a year already.

since those guys want to cash out to buy something else where, might as well low ball them.

I recently found out the 3 room flat beside my unit is owned by an Eurasian. And for years I never seen him, only different groups of indian families moving in and out. SInce the last one moved out, it has been vacant for months. My in laws need to buy so what can I do?

Its apparent to me HDB are allowing foreigners or Singaporean to rent out their units totally even before they fufill their MOP?

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    Actually, there are quite a number of westerners working in Singapore on local packages earning around $7,000 to $8,000 a month (including their housing allowance).

a. drink Tiger with ice
    b. buy Wan bao
    d. burning joss paper

Heh
    (A) would be a classic sight
    (B) 100% localised
    (D) religion also changed already?!?!

I'm sorry to say this, but if you can weave a "filli falla" convincing story around being posted overseas for work, etc. I'm not surprised that it's easy to get special consent to lease out the whole unit even before MOP is up.

Only catch is that the MOP is suspended, i.e. it does not "run" when you are overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by byyboo
    I recently found out the 3 room flat beside my unit is owned by an Eurasian. And for years I never seen him, only different groups of indian families moving in and out. SInce the last one moved out, it has been vacant for months. My in laws need to buy so what can I do?

Its apparent to me HDB are allowing foreigners or Singaporean to rent out their units totally even before they fufill their MOP?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    That your company is not employing EXPAT, these are called "Foreign Worker"!
    you mean this is a new term for Expat? FT ?

May I know whereabouts are the ang mohs selling the properties?

Hi all

One in pasir panjiang and another around holland area. Even agent also ang moh....how like that, our Local agent got competition from phinoys, china and now ang moh.

By the way, need yr advise, I hv critical illness insurance coverage and thinking of adding more. Due to my age, ahem..50 next year, any better coverage without paying too much like rider? Ntuc good?

Hi all

One in pasir panjiang and another around holland area. Even agent also ang moh....how like that, our Local agent got competition from phinoys, china and now ang moh.

By the way, need yr advise, I hv critical illness insurance coverage and thinking of adding more. Due to my age, ahem..50 next year, any better coverage without paying too much like rider? Ntuc good?
    NTUC through Safra is the best. highly recommended by my insurance agent who is not from NTUC
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I'm sorry to say this, but if you can weave a "filli falla" convincing story around being posted overseas for work, etc. I'm not surprised that it's easy to get special consent to lease out the whole unit even before MOP is up.

Only catch is that the MOP is suspended, i.e. it does not "run" when you are overseas.
    Not anymore. HDB has tightened the rules. My FT colleague was renting a HDB from a couple who was posted to Sabah to work, after having bought the unit just a year ago. HDB granted permission to rent out for 2 years. Now the 2 years is up, HDB refuse to allow renewal. Said too bad, just leave it empty. So my FT colleague has to move out. HDB even send ppl to knock on door to check!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead
    Not anymore. HDB has tightened the rules. My FT colleague was renting a HDB from a couple who was posted to Sabah to work, after having bought the unit just a year ago. HDB granted permission to rent out for 2 years. Now the 2 years is up, HDB refuse to allow renewal. Said too bad, just leave it empty. So my FT colleague has to move out. HDB even send ppl to knock on door to check!
    so they'll have to leave it empty for another 4 years then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33
    NTUC through Safra is the best. highly recommended by my insurance agent who is not from NTUC
    Hi Ringo

So I can call Ntuc? Strange, my Ntuc insurance friend never highlight this. What is this exactly?

Tks

Hi all

Good good. Hope more ang moh agents come in and maybe can setup an angmoh team with their own agency.

Give the local agents a fight for their money.

Hi Ringo

So I can call Ntuc? Strange, my Ntuc insurance friend never highlight this. What is this exactly?

Tks
    http://www.safra.sg/en/Join/SAFRA-Me...x#.US9-9VfTLE0
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Hi all

I think you should get a hospitalisation plan to replace Medishield if you haven't already done so. The rider is recommended so that it reduces what you have to pay in cash when hospitalised.

Be warned. A serious illness can suddenly happen out out of the blue. I have a good friend in his later 50s. Was apparently in good health last year. Went on many trips abroad enjoying the good life. Towards the end of the year, felt very tired and lethargic. Found to have a heart condition. Needed to have open heart surgery. I estimate the hospital bills would add up to 100K. The best thing his wife did was to have purchased the Incomeshield preferred plan with rider to cover all the bills. Never underestimate your state of health and never underestimate the cost of medical care. You may think you want to go to restructured hospital under C class but these days there are SO MANY FOREIGN TALENT in restructured hospitals that it is pretty scary. Somemore if you need something done urgently and there are no hospital beds available and no operating theatre slots available in resstructured hospitals, how?

Also be warned. I received an email from MOH recently entitled "Means testing". It looks like this will happen sooner or later.

If I m not wrong u have to a safra member to buy the insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by cavaliver
    If I m not wrong u have to a safra member to buy the insurance.
    Safra insurance is a TERM insurance. It ends at 70 if I recall correctly. You do need to be a member. You can only get max coverage of 200K for critical illness.

a. drink Tiger with ice
    b. buy Wan bao
    d. burning joss paper

Heh
    queing up to buy 4d/toto...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

hahahhaa.. squatting on the coffeeshop chair analysing the horse racing statistics

watching soccer match at coffeeshop and shouting "CCB!" when someone misses a goal

That would make for an interesting community - now that's called integration, PM Lee..

Quote Originally Posted by radha08
    queing up to buy 4d/toto...

Fully agree - if there is 1 thing you need to buy, it's the hospitalisation cover. Opt out of Medishield one, but get the private one. If you can afford it, get the rider as well.

I'm not an insurance expert, but several people have told me that if you are looking for term insurance, the Avivia SAF policy is actually very cheap for the coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    I think you should get a hospitalisation plan to replace Medishield if you haven't already done so. The rider is recommended so that it reduces what you have to pay in cash when hospitalised.

Be warned. A serious illness can suddenly happen out out of the blue. I have a good friend in his later 50s. Was apparently in good health last year. Went on many trips abroad enjoying the good life. Towards the end of the year, felt very tired and lethargic. Found to have a heart condition. Needed to have open heart surgery. I estimate the hospital bills would add up to 100K. The best thing his wife did was to have purchased the Incomeshield preferred plan with rider to cover all the bills. Never underestimate your state of health and never underestimate the cost of medical care. You may think you want to go to restructured hospital under C class but these days there are SO MANY FOREIGN TALENT in restructured hospitals that it is pretty scary. Somemore if you need something done urgently and there are no hospital beds available and no operating theatre slots available in resstructured hospitals, how?

Also be warned. I received an email from MOH recently entitled "Means testing". It looks like this will happen sooner or later.

They need to hire me for my letter writing skills then

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead

A lot of ang mo is staying in HDB now... It is cheaper and location is much better... Why need to stay in condo in which the location is always very remote... I already have a few ang mo neighbor already...

There are quite a few of them around, but mostly serving the more expensive properties, and they existing primarily to serve westerner clients.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense:

a. money can be quite good

b. who understands Europeans / Aussies / Americans better than their own nationals? Am sure a French family would prefer having a French agent who can tell them all about the French international school, nearby shops which stock hard-to-find French products, etc. I would do the same thing

c. some of them do this as a natural extension of localisation services for expats.

d. some of them are expat spouses who want to do something productive

Hi all

Indeed - we have some foreign colleagues on "local plus" packages where any unused housing allowance is kept by them, and they have seriously considering renting HDB flats in places like Tiong Bahru. Makes lots of financial sense if you don't use the facilities, are overseas half the time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RCT
    A lot of ang mo is staying in HDB now... It is cheaper and location is much better... Why need to stay in condo in which the location is always very remote... I already have a few ang mo neighbor already...